Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I think that Rover 2300 dash was designed to take to a LHD conversion very easily for cost cutting reasons. Just stick the steering column through that passenger side vent on the dash and move the dials box over to the left.

The whole dash is completely symmetrical, glove compartment, hand brake feed through, clock etc...

Yes, noticed that before. I think there was some clever engineering came out of the UK car companies when they were literally rehashing old junk to try make modern cars. The ride and handling in my XJ40 were clearly engineered by someone who knew what they were at. Problem was the lads down on the factory floor were too busy going on strike 60% of the time and slapdashing the cars together the rest of the time. Also, clever engineering can be used to save pennies, that same penny pinching approach is harder to hide in manufacturing unless you spend big to modernize.

I think the Fiat and Alfa factories suffered the same fate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Most BMC (British Motor Corporation - Austin Morris) cars were built to be easy to convert to LHD/RHD. Best example is the BMC Mini (Morris Mini Minor or Austin Severn) with a central instrument panel. Also Morris Minor/1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Yes, noticed that before. I think there was some clever engineering came out of the UK car companies when they were literally rehashing old junk to try make modern cars. The ride and handling in my XJ40 were clearly engineered by someone who knew what they were at. Problem was the lads down on the factory floor were too busy going on strike 60% of the time and slapdashing the cars together the rest of the time. Also, clever engineering can be used to save pennies, that same penny pinching approach is harder to hide in manufacturing unless you spend big to modernize.

I think the Fiat and Alfa factories suffered the same fate.
    Q great example of what uoure talking about is the steering column on that SD1. Take a look at it under the dashboard and you'll notice it goes from a metal bar into a wire mesh which collapses in a front impact. Really lovely to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

con747 wrote: »

Surely a 69 Singer Vogue would be a Hunter body type, that looks much earlier more like a 64 or 65 maybe it's an imported Limerick city number.
    Something like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/1969_Singer_Vogue_1725_CC_%2818775219902%29.jpg would be a 69 car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are right, it's one of the last of the old model c. 1965 but the reg. is Limerick 1969.

Probably imported in 1969 and as they did then given the next available number.

I may be wrong but I don't think they were sold in Ireland anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Surely a 69 Singer Vogue would be a Hunter body type, that looks much earlier more like a 64 or 65 maybe it's an imported Limerick city number.
    Something like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/1969_Singer_Vogue_1725_CC_%2818775219902%29.jpg would be a 69 car.

The Hunter is the following model. That is the Hillman Minx derived model that stopped in 1969. True luxury to have twin headlights. It should have overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

elperello wrote: »
    You are right, it's one of the last of the old model c. 1965 but the reg. is Limerick 1969.

Probably imported in 1969 and as they did then given the next available number.

I may be wrong but I don't think they were sold in Ireland anyway.

Yup, that's what used to happen. Import a '65 car in '69 and suddenly you had a brand new car!

Mind you, back then you could simply drive it on the uk plate and pay the tax here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-punto-sporting-mk-2-read-add-/27862010
    one for the fiat fans....although i think he is wrong about there not being many left, they seem to turn up regular enough.

oceanman wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-punto-sporting-mk-2-read-add-/27862010
    one for the fiat fans....although i think he is wrong about there not being many left, they seem to turn up regular enough.

No nct and “floor welding” required? Not a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Believe it or not that was for sale, in its current state, for €3000 a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Verified Private Seller .... with a trade plate slapped on the dash? :confused:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-12tl/28262717

Renault 12 in Tyrone but original Dublin reg.

Complete with Axe the Tax sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Christine, unfortunately it doesn't self repair the more you drive it:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nearly worth it for that alone......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

See his other adds,, i think he has been on here before with another renault.

11wingnut wrote: »
    Yep, well know Renault/Dacia hunter.

Nice guy and very helpful. That 11 was on recently, nothing wrong with it other than he has found another project that suits his needs more.

11wingnut wrote: »

Yes, I saw them.

I like the look of the little van too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-extra-van/27560050

With a small petrol engine it would make a nice runaround.

Yes, I saw them.

I like the look of the little van too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-extra-van/27560050

With a small petrol engine it would make a nice runaround.

Or drop in a GT Turbo engine :cool:

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Or drop in a GT Turbo engine :cool:

For express deliveries :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's time to let my Porsche go. I just don't get the good of it any more

554315.jpg

Linky on adverts.ie

Linky on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »

554315.jpg

Linky on adverts.ie

Linky on DoneDeal

I hear ya. Feeling the same about my 996 tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I hear ya. Feeling the same about my 996 tbh.

Used to take it out occasionally early on a Saturday morning for a blast over the Dublin / Wicklow mountains, followed by a long hike.

Got a dog since, she is used to EVs and she is scared in the Porsche. She can go for a long hike alright, but I would obviously have to take it handy driving there. What's the point of that in a car like this?

Also my daughters have come of the age to start learning to drive, we need a second family car for that. And I've only space for two cars. As an alternative, I could put the Porsche into long time storage. The value will go up quite a bit within the next 5-10 years, your 996 even more so. But it's not really great for the car and I don't really like the idea of it. So I made my mind up to sell it. Took the car out for a few spins to get some minor issues sorted and to have it fully valeted and it really is an excellent car. Deserves to be driven like it is meant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

554315.jpg

Linky on adverts.ie

Linky on DoneDeal

I sold my SL320 for similar reasons

Yes even the modest 2.5 is a great wee car to drive. Not as fast as its twin the S or its bigger 996 brothers, but keep the revs over 5k and it will sure move. And of course the flat six sounds great and is very close to your ears :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

554315.jpg

Linky on adverts.ie

Linky on DoneDeal

You can even smell the appreciation of that over the next decade.

Hopefully it goes to a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Sorry to hear that. I've no doubt you would keep it if not for the tax bill.

Anyway, best of luck with the sale and hope you don't get too many head wreckers asking stupid questions/low ball offers on adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I always wanted one. but scored cylinders, high tax, and the IMS bearing, put me off.
    But they handle nice, and decent power.
    I believe they cost not much less little to make than the 911

Can't argue with the high tax. It has a massive 2.5l engine after all :p (€1080 annual motor tax for anyone wondering, or €305 for the summer). I pay €200 fully comprehensive classic motor insurance

Occurrence of IMS bearing failing on the 2.5l is about 2-3% of all cars (this percentage is much higher in the Porsches with the bigger M96 engine) and far more likely on very low and very high mileage cars. This issue is hugely overstated. If you want, you can do preventative maintenance so it won't occur, last time I checked this cost about €1500. Not worth it on this version of the engine imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

yes. yours is certainly low risk.

the proper solution was an oil fed plain bearing, though many just replaced the bearing at clutch time for a sealed unit...

I sold my 944S2 a couple weeks ago, and had huge interest in cayman and boxster swaps:pac:

Advertisement