Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

elperello wrote: »
    Correct, it's a 1976 Dublin number.

I suppose the fact it was kept inside is standing to it.

The big problem with them is getting in and out while preserving your dignity :)

Some would say that being seen in one, already one loses all one's dignity.

By the way, if that is the original engine, it is a BMC A series engine with 1275 cc, same as a Mini Cooper, and is available in many available tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

"First to see will buy. No lowball offers. I know what I have!":D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I know what he has too.....:D:D:D

That's one for kadman

No its not, I make no claim for that bag of ****e, is what it is.

By the time that rare old thing is restored, there will be very little left of its originality. So whats the outcome for saving this rare vehicle.

Loads of new metal, and an empty wallet, and a divorce...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kadman wrote: »
    No its not, I make no claim for that bag of ****e, is what it is.

By the time that rare old thing is restored, there will be very little left of its originality. So whats the outcome for saving this rare vehicle.

Loads of new metal, and an empty wallet, and a divorce...:P

Exactly. Do it the Irish way, get a better one and use the rust bucket's tax book, sorted:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

New bodies are now available...

https://classicsteelbody.com/

Bus-Body_b507cc18-4379-4e24-b195-c14d019cf74c_720x.jpg?v=1562092791

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rickman-ranger/28347374

NDA5YTIyOTcxYzk0Mzc3NDg4MjEwZjE5NWI1ODJlY2EAA_Zne9e0OnrAJvMiApPFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODI5MDY4NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is really cool for €1800, Rickman Ranger

hi5 wrote: »
    New bodies are now ava76ilable...

https://classicsteelbody.com/

Bus-Body_b507cc18-4379-4e24-b195-c14d019cf74c_720x.jpg?v=1562092791

$30000 plus shipping, and not even a coat of primer:D:D

Just like they left the factory, that's what you call authenticity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

4K more you can have a brown logbook, classic tax and insurance :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

By the way, if that is the original engine, it is a BMC A series engine with 1275 cc, same as a Mini Cooper, and is available in many available tunes.

Having spent 7 years working in the factory where these engines were made I can say that the two engines were quite different. The block, rods and pistons were the same. Cylinder head, crank and flywheel were different along with other ancillaries. Both used the 12G940 head casting but the valves and compression ratios were different

sharpish wrote: »
    4K more you can have a brown logbook, classic tax and insurance :p
    No you cant.

New body comes with its own new chassis designation surely,
    and you have a 2021 regged splittie:p:p

No you cant.

Brown logbook + Biro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No you cant.

I doubt it. You can order a Citoren 2CV chassis (the ladder frame) and you stamp the number yourself. I'd say the same would be possible with the VW, even though it's a monocoque chassis.

I'd be very surprised if there's a chassis number on it tbh.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I doubt it. You can order a Citoren 2CV chassis (the ladder frame) and you stamp the number yourself. I'd say the same would be possible with the VW, even though it's a monocoque chassis.

I'd be very surprised if there's a chassis number on it tbh.

So it begs the question how can we stamp a new vehicle, with a 50 year old
    stamp, and call it something its not???

So it begs the question how can we stamp a new vehicle, with a 50 year old
    stamp, and call it something its not???

Well that's the next question.

To me personally, swapping the monocoque chassis of a bus, makes it a new vehicle. But I'm relaxed on the issue and I'd rather see that bus with a swapped chassis on the road, than it just rusting in a field.

Swapping the ladder frame of the 2CV and keeping the body makes it still the original vehicle IMO. The ladder frame is a part like the axle or suspension. I agree though that the lines are very blurred and different people have different opinions on it.

I have met some people in the classic car scene who believe that a swapped engine makes the car invalid. So it's horses for courses really.

New bus shell, and stamping your own vin number sounds like legal ringing to me.

The only original part then is the old logbook:confused:

I would still regard the new shell bus, with an old logbook, as a new vehicle. And at the costs involved, why not get an original bus.

You would then have the real deal, and no difference in price, maybe even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

If you buy a new shell or chassis its only a spare part so wont have a chassis number. To get a VIN on it is quite a job as there has to be a paper trail. I know of a lovely A124 320 convertible which has a VIN less shell but has an Irish logbook. Its an ex UK car and how it managed to get registered here without a VIN still puzzles me. Anyway when it was presented for NCT a few years ago they spotted it and refused to NCT it and the car is now in storage while the mess is sorted in a legal fashion. Had the owner spotted it before presentation then no doubt some letter and number stamps would have been purchased

w124man wrote: »
    If you buy a new shell or chassis its only a spare part so wont have a chassis number. To get a VIN on it is quite a job as there has to be a paper trail. I know of a lovely A124 320 convertible which has a VIN less shell but has an Irish logbook. Its an ex UK car and how it managed to get registered here without a VIN still puzzles me. Anyway when it was presented for NCT a few years ago they spotted it and refused to NCT it and the car is now in storage while the mess is sorted in a legal fashion. Had the owner spotted it before presentation then no doubt some letter and number stamps would have been purchased

About time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Well, since we're suggesting things to keep Kadman busy, how about this. Tbh, I don't really know the value of these, but 10 grand seems kinda high for something needing total restoration.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1959-volkswagen-splitty-for-sale/28362026

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODMwNjYxNzIiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMCwiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIn19fQ==?signature=043df20c84a474235f8ae84ee8da0a8eeca6bfc2f0eb6869f34f43ec2d5d9f3e

Edit: Just realised, it's 10,500 Sterling, not Euro.

• Advertisement

Well, since we're suggesting things to keep Kadman busy, how about this. Tbh, I don't really know the value of these, but 10 grand seems kinda high for something needing total restoration.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1959-volkswagen-splitty-for-sale/28362026

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODMwNjYxNzIiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMCwiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIn19fQ==?signature=043df20c84a474235f8ae84ee8da0a8eeca6bfc2f0eb6869f34f43ec2d5d9f3e

Edit: Just realised, it's 10,500 Sterling, not Euro.

Looks to be better value than the other rust bucket. But its still gonna eat a hole in your wallet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/triumph-herald/28367064

51234213194_05e710771d_z.jpg

ZjhhMzVmMWI4Mjc3MGRkMDIzNTNiODYxYWIxMWI2NDIcyE3FJqsqJ37rJjg4CSzBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODMxMDk1ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is lovely, original Irish Herald for €3500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/triumph-herald/28367064

51234213194_05e710771d_z.jpg

ZjhhMzVmMWI4Mjc3MGRkMDIzNTNiODYxYWIxMWI2NDIcyE3FJqsqJ37rJjg4CSzBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODMxMDk1ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is lovely, original Irish Herald for €3500

That's deadly I love it, realistic money too which is nice to see. I'd be very tempted to go two tone with it, maybe white on the bottom, it really set them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

I seen so many like that over the years. Sinful.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

W123-80's wrote: »

“For parts “

What parts? The star on the bonnet and boot?

logbook-cover.jpg?w=445&h=437

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

the silent enemy....tin worm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Louis Walsh , tidying his back yard ?

• Advertisement

Don't forget your shovel!