Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I quite like this. Money a bit strong maybe but not bad...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mk1-golf/14813564
    MWZmZmMxZDAyODE3ZmY4ZmRiNmI3NGYzMTI5OTdjYmXUcdzWN3q5THSY2LVVUuYKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDAyNDY0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

kyote00 wrote: »
    No rips in the seats...

250 max for parts !

Even the rats and mice thought it was a crock of ****.
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts as a 'bargain' interesting though

I love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Class job. Pity about the price. Tow hitch present and correct as well. Black would have been an extra too on them I think. To be purchased with a roll of dirty notes, with the rest balled up in the pocket and thrown on the table with a certain amount of disgust.

Then grudgingly NCT'd, but never ever taxed and afterwards driven at a max speed of 25 MPH, weaving on the road and slowing down at every gate or gap in a hedge, so the driver can look into the field to see if the neighbours have started to cut the silage, bought any calves, had many lambs etc. etc.

Towing a rickety home made trailer made from the axle of a 1955 morris Minor with a sick ram in the back is optional. Mangy, highly unpredictable and viscous sheepdog panting away in the passenger seat and steaming up the windows is a standard accesory. Leave keys in car when visiting pub.

Fill boot with half a bag of calf nuts, a dosing gun, an old battered copy of The Messenger, some receipts and a huge ball of baling twine and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Red Kev wrote: »
    Class job. Pity about the price. Tow hitch present and correct as well. Black would have been an extra too on them I think. To be purchased with a roll of dirty notes, with the rest balled up in the pocket and thrown on the table with a certain amount of disgust.

Then grudgingly NCT'd, but never ever taxed and afterwards driven at a max speed of 25 MPH, weaving on the road and slowing down at every gate or gap in a hedge, so the driver can look into the field to see if the neighbours have started to cut the silage, bought any calves, had many lambs etc. etc.

Towing a rickety home made trailer made from the axle of a 1955 morris Minor with a sick ram in the back is optional. Mangy, highly unpredictable and viscous sheepdog panting away in the passenger seat and steaming up the windows is a standard accesory. Leave keys in car when visiting pub.

Fill boot with half a bag of calf nuts, a dosing gun, an old battered copy of The Messenger, some receipts and a huge ball of baling twine and you're good to go.

Very good, like something out of a John B Keane play.
    ps you forgot the Padre Pio sticker!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-220-se/14679057

MmRiZDcyNzUxNGY4ODY5Y2JmN2JjMGZhYTcxMzk5MGXFO5kOyvKu-jBAS_3HES-zaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI3NjUzN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I have to say, old Mercs aren't usually my thing, but this is spectacular. Inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

At the risk of getting flamed, that doesn't look like a €30k car to me :p

Agreed. Hard to see on the mobile but the bodywork looks very rough. Seats should have been deep cleaned and greased up which is a big give away.

You can do a lot better for the money. And the Auto is more desirable for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ very true, and must be auto.
    I just love these big Coupes, even with a 'measly' 2.2, the sense of waft is strong in this one. The interiors (and I mean good ones) are a delight to behold..the view over the long bonnet at the star, the boot that could easily take a few bodies ;)
    The ivory wouldn't have been my favourite colour for them, but it doesn't look too bad on them now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

http://irishclassics.ie/listings/mercedes-220-se-for-sale-1961/

http://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/mercedes-benz-220-se-coupe

I'd expect the speedo cable to be fixed for de money.

Anyway, whose up for a thread split? €30k isn't a bargain in my book.

• Advertisement

Could I maybe propose that this thread is renamed to something along the lines of the Today I saw a car for sale Thread over in motors main?

This forum doesn't get an awful lot of traffic and as per the last few pages discussion is mainly between a few regulars. I think two threads would be too many. I like to think of this thread as somewhere to discuss interesting classics for sale here in Ireland..forgetting about the price really. Maybe that's just me though.

Would be nice to hear other regulars thoughts.

Could I maybe propose that this thread is renamed to something along the lines of the Today I saw a car for sale Thread over in motors main?

This forum doesn't get an awful lot of traffic and as per the last few pages discussion is mainly between a few regulars. I think two threads would be too many. I like to think of this thread as somewhere to discuss interesting classics for sale here in Ireland..forgetting about the price really. Maybe that's just me though.

Would be nice to hear other regulars thoughts.

I don't think price comes into it. If that Merc was in top condition then €30K is a bargain and it belongs here. Fact is that it looks fairly poor.

I've no issue with changing the title and putting any classic car for sale in it.

Do we stick to them being Irish?
    Is there an age limit? Do we leave it at 30 years, or drop it to youngtimers of 20 or 25 years?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I should really start another thread on this...

Carry on as you were for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercury-car/14756240
    1100 for most of a v6 fox body cougar, thats a lot of rare metal for the money

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-mark-2/14868358

MmY1NTY1ZTFjZThjYjAxMTExM2JjNTkyNWE3YWM3YmTG0cEiMog5PfI0tVw6Jp8jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDMyNjc1Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    needs very little work to get it back on the road

hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Sure, a good wash, a bit of air in the tyres, check the oil level, a bit of petrol, and off you go ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-220-se/14679057

MmRiZDcyNzUxNGY4ODY5Y2JmN2JjMGZhYTcxMzk5MGXFO5kOyvKu-jBAS_3HES-zaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTI3NjUzN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I have to say, old Mercs aren't usually my thing, but this is spectacular. Inside and out.

Needs bigger engine 2.2 was the smallest I think and manual butchers it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    Sure, a good wash, a bit of air in the tyres, check the oil level, a bit of petrol, and off you go ...

Very little needed.... so why not do it before you try sell the car instead of just pulling a cover off it! It would take take an hour at most to wash it and give the inside a wipe down and hoover.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Very little needed.... so why not do it before you try sell the car instead of just pulling a cover off it! It would take take an hour at most to wash it and give the inside a wipe down and hoover.

The day you find yourself putting a sheet of plastic over a car like that is the day you should be putting an ad on Donedeal. Give up and let someone else try, it's only going to go downhill.

• Advertisement

Any of these are more than likely cheaper than that red Jag in the long run. Gorgeous cars, usable as a daily driver and definitely on the long list of "want to own before I die".

€20,000. Nice reg, but needs a period plate, lovely interior. https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1966-jaguar-mark-ii-2-4/13648289

ZjIwMDJiODY5YzZlYWJiNWQxNzQ0OTk5Nzc2ZjExYzXfwWJeYwk17joDaY3HIshdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzMyOTkyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

€20,000 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mark-2-jaguar/14601596

NDg4MzExMDJkZDkyZDU3ZGUyZTI1N2Q5NWMyY2YxOTAwpBKeqJjDv1dvb0mOcUxeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODgyMDM1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

This guy haas a few cars for sale. All in Japan though. Legit?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jeep-wrangler-j54-jeep-by-mitsubishi/14884951

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Yeah why not. Lots of people are buying stuff at auction in Japan and trying to sell before shipping. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

w124man wrote: »
    Yeah why not. Lots of people are buying stuff at auction in Japan and trying to sell before shipping. Nothing wrong with that.

True. But look closer. Website is a Geocities domain. Address is non specific. Mobile phone only. Plenty of cars on his newly created website but none in Ireland.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

I seen a few he was "selling", He doesnt even own them ffs. Still for auction, chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

that reall brings the 'bargain' aspect of this Thread into focus, at what point would the price be excessive on that?

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    that reall brings the 'bargain' aspect of this Thread into focus, at what point would the price be excessive on that?

Well when there's no price given it's hard to say it's a bargain or not.
    The word 'bargain' is all relative though. If you have enough spare cash and can justify to yourself shelling it out on something you want or like then anything can be a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Well when there's no price given it's hard to say it's a bargain or not.
    The word 'bargain' is all relative though. If you have enough spare cash and can justify to yourself shelling it out on something you want or like then anything can be a bargain.

Exactly.. Is it time 'bargains' was dropped from the thread title?

Advertisement