Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Sorry but whats the attraction of the old brown Log book (Have one at home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Can't find the non-Irish Classic Car bargains thread, so I'll stick this here, feel free to move it.

I love this, I think it's absolutely gorgeous. If i won the Lotto I'd take a couple of weeks to pick it up, drive the Baltic States and back here through Finland and Sweden. It's pricey, but looks top notch. if it's there this summer I might look into renting it for a week, if that's possible.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vaz-2106-russian-soviet-car/14732462

YmRlZjk4NjZjYzU5ODc3ZjZkN2E5MzBkMGQ0MzVjYjL8e-H3jtOKCqSTHcudY8hPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTU3NDYyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

ZTMyZmViNWIxNzI4ZDU5YjQyNzU0YjA5MjhkNzc5ODA_Q-bHkorKvC0C70JFli6LaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDkwNTY0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeghttps://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-morris-marina-hl-1700cc/14975367

Wow, whatever ye think of the Actual vehicle, that seems to be an immaculate example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Love the colour, at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

rare VW Type 3 in seemingly tip top condition, and a price tag to match.
    Why oh why only 4 photos though; on second thoughts, maybe if you're serious about it, you'll travel to view.
    (it bugs me when people put ads on DD with only 1 or 2 pics, why not use the 10 that you're allowed?, sorry, rant over :o)

Seller has 1 or 2 interesting other ads, and he's not the President ;)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-type-3-fastback-1-6-lhd/13827369

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tc20 wrote: »
    Why oh why only 4 photos though; on second thoughts, maybe if you're serious about it, you'll travel to view.
    (it bugs me when people put ads on DD with only 1 or 2 pics, why not use the 10 that you're allowed?, sorry, rant over :o)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-type-3-fastback-1-6-lhd/13827369

Love that Porsche! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

I drove by this today. It's parked by a pretty busy main road in North Dublin. Recognised it from here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

She looks really good, but the only thing that I can't get my head around is that it's LHD but it is on a 1973 Dublin 'ZJ' plate. The car could have been an early import (before the ZV days), but this would generally be later than the original date of 1st registration. 

The car is the latest model Type 3 which ran from 1970-73 so it all fits, but the only explanation would be that someone deliberately ordered a LHD Type 3 and imported it in 73...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    She looks really good, but the only thing that I can't get my head around is that it's LHD but it is on a 1973 Dublin 'ZJ' plate. The car could have been an early import (before the ZV days), but this would generally be later than the original date of 1st registration. 

The car is the latest model Type 3 which ran from 1970-73 so it all fits, but the only explanation would be that someone deliberately ordered a LHD Type 3 and imported it in 73...

Was thinking that myself. In those days if you imported an old car you got a brand new up to date reg. Although as you say it's unlikely to be any earlier than '70. I had a Fiat 128 myself back in the day, reg no 7409 ZJ.

• Advertisement

ZGY3NjgyNjMwYWI4YzFlZmU0NTJkNTUzMzhmZjJlZmUuF5lYW3ZwZhI_I6oZJSA3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTI3NTQ4MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeghttps://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/marcos/15044251

I doubt it would ever resemble a 'bargain', but the thread aint called,

"This weeks series of exhibits for the divorce proceedings"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why oh why only 4 photos though
    Not just 'only' four photos... three of them are from the same angle just worse positioning each time.

I don't subscribe to this "if they're interested they'll come". If the car is that good show it - otherwise you just look lazy or half-arsed.

Dades wrote: »
    Not just 'only' four photos... three of them are from the same angle just worse positioning each time.

I don't subscribe to this "if they're interested they'll come". If the car is that good show it - otherwise you just look lazy or half-arsed.

If he actually took a few decent photos it would save long conversations on the phone. There's a Merc Coupe that I posted a couple of days ago. Nice car, but I wouldn't buy it as i couldn't live with the interior leather colour. Phone call saved on both sides.

If he wants to sell that VW, he should be looking abroad, and there's no way I'd travel to look at a car without seeing a couple of dozen photos of the bloody thing in advance.

Lazy and a little bit silly IMO.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/marcos/15044251

I doubt it would ever resemble a 'bargain', but the thread aint called,

"This weeks series of exhibits for the divorce proceedings"

Problem getting that registered here? Certificate of Conformity or whatever...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-131-mirafiori-1979-taxed-nct-exempt/15052326?campaign=3

Yzc1YzM5YWQ3NmU3ZDk1MDA0ZTRlYTBlZDc1YzA4MGVFpehfRrUtlpSO_oypGYDqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTMxOTA0OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Delightful. If I had the money I would be on the way to buy this right now

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

had one back in the day, not much good against a stone wall :mad:. nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Esel wrote: »

Cert of conformity is only needed if the car is new... less than 3 months old or 3000 kilometers.
    The VRT register a Q reg on the date first registered as a Q plate, that Marcos was 1983 according to DVLA, so you should be ok for the €200 vrt.

I like those Marcos especialy the Rover v8 version:)

Esel wrote: »
    Registered, ha, moving would be the first problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

hi5 wrote: »
    Cert of conformity is only needed if the car is new... less than 3 months old or 3000 kilometers.
    The VRT register a Q reg on the date first registered as a Q plate, that Marcos was 1983 according to DVLA, so you should be ok for the €200 vrt.

That one looks a tad light on the front as if the engine has gone walkabout ...
    I'd still love it though, but seeing as I came home with yet another yoke this day last week , as was suggested up the page it could be the marital final straw , at the moment anyway ..

hi5 wrote: »

Thanks for that! Are you sure 'new' is not now defined as 'less than 6 months or 6000km' (as it is for VAT liability)?

Thanks also for the info on the Q plate setting the date of first registration. That makes this car liable to NCT... I wonder what standards would apply to it for testing purposes?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That seems like a good price or am I way off?

Not too bad. 3-3.5k would be my estimate.
    Looks in great nick though, especially for that era of FIAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Exempt from NCT? Is that correct?
    Surely every car has to prove itself to be roadworthy?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exempt from NCT? Is that correct?
    Surely every car has to prove itself to be roadworthy?

Yeah it's correct, exempt once registered before 1/1/80

A very unlovd car as a classic, but I always liked them, especially the Countryman estate. Drove a turbocharged one once, which gave a new definition to the term 'turbo lag'.

Anyway, this one is nice, very low mileage and well looked after. A bit different to the 3 Series, 190's and Sierra's that populate car shows.

29,000 miles. £2950

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C822647

8535685.jpg

This one is a bit cheaper with slightly more miles.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1986-austin-montego/14985577

OGU4OGUxMGVlNzVlNDEyZmIwZDc0YTY0NzBhYmJmM2X5EPfqi60NaRic1IkgRgQ2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDk2NDY4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Typical BL colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I remember watching a show about cars on BBC, some lad was on saying how his company had given him a Montego as a company car. He was fighting back the tears saying "they have basically taken a **** on me!"

A friend of mine bought a Maestro Turbo back in the day - I conquer

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I remember watching a show about cars on BBC, some lad was on saying how his company had given him a Montego as a company car. He was fighting back the tears saying "they have basically taken a **** on me!"

A friend of mine bought a Maestro Turbo back in the day - I conquer

From A to B: Tales Of Modern Motoring, from 1993. Actually well worth a look if you're of a certain age. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ricky Gervais must have seen that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

kaizersoze wrote: »
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That seems like a good price or am I way off?

Not too bad. 3-3.5k would be my estimate.
    Looks in great nick though, especially for that era of FIAT.
    Yes 4k seems a little strong for it here. Just about as nice a job on the plates as you can get.

From back in the day when white would have been falling out of favour on cars here. Until the ipod came along 25 years later and milk white became trendy here again.

Advertisement