Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ 'tis unique in some ways, not to everyone's liking, and as a W123 fan, I have to say I kinda like it..it looks ok in the photos, but in the flesh might be a different kettle of fish. I wouldn't go as far as to buy it though. The seller has a couple of other classics for sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like it was never NCTd :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

I recognise the reg number on that car. I think it was bought new by the guy who owned Longford Engineering. He also had a red 200 saloon and a 190 1.8LE over the years I knew him. It was red origionally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

First car I ever remember the auld fella having but sadly I have no great love for them, funnily enough the car he had before which would have been the first car I was in was a 131 sport and even tho I don't remember that car it would be more up my street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Some of my earliest memories include playing with a matchbox mkV cortina, it was red and had glow in the dark windows.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-cortina-1600e/15058199

MmM5NWM0Y2EzMzdhNDk5OWExN2NjOTY3MWY1OGRlYmTCxx4FA_qojGFzdW9cWrt0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTM1MjAyMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Another really nice Cortina for five grand. Those bucket seats need to go though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Man those Cortina's illicit some memories. I remember summer trips as a kid from Dublin to Killarney(with at least one layby tea break) and on to the Ring Of Kerry in such a Cortina. Grey with red vinyl seats that would burn the legs off you, or cause hyperthermia depending on the season that was in it. :) My dad's wasn't an E. His next Cortina was though, a Mark 3 2000E, velour everywhere, vinyl roof and metallic blue. And an automatic, which was an oddball enough thing at the time. Very fancy. Sadly lost to the first phase of "joyriding" in the late 70's. I remember him trying to track it down, only to find it burnt out. He was a quietly religious type of chap and had a totem of a little statue of our Lady in the glovebox and it had survived the fire. I still have it in my coin box today. Old cars eh? And how a collection of mass produced metal and plastic can hold such feelings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement

Cortina, W126, Asking top dollar and not even bothering to ever NCT your car. Only in Ireland. Good luck with your sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

For a car that's only been "Shofer" driven :) there's quite a bit of scuffing on the passenger seat... The W126 are brilliant cars, but they started production in 1980, so none of these flagships can be driven with NCT exemption, but there are plenty to found within the Vintage Tax bracket, although this one still has 3 years full tax due... 
    MDg5MWYzNmI4MjVhZGI4Mjk4YjIwZTBiMmY2OWY0YzHojQhf_DdI9vPWaSgW0L7jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDUxMTg3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    For a car that's only been "Shofer" driven :) there's quite a bit of scuffing on the passenger seat... The W126 are brilliant cars, but they started production in 1980, so none of these flagships can be driven with NCT exemption, but there are plenty to found within the Vintage Tax bracket, although this one still has 3 years full tax due... 
    MDg5MWYzNmI4MjVhZGI4Mjk4YjIwZTBiMmY2OWY0YzHojQhf_DdI9vPWaSgW0L7jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDUxMTg3Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Maybe the MD liked to travel in the front...:P

Far too much money for a car that isn't original. Wrong wheels for a start.

My W126 has half the mileage and is totally original and I would expect an absolute max of €8500!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

unkel wrote: »
    Cortina, W126, Asking top dollar and not even bothering to ever NCT your car. Only in Ireland. Good luck with your sale.

NCT out in 2004, can't even be arsed driving it down there for a fail list. His right headlight is dodgy, he could try polishing the bloody thing at least. For that money I'd head to the UK and get a decent one and a short holiday via Scotland to boot.
    PaulK_CCI wrote: »

Production started in 1979, but possibly only in LHD. I had a December '79 registered one that I picked up in Germany. Drove it to Zinder in Niger and sold it to some Nigerians.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-300d/15142915

OTVjNTg3MzAxZDQyZTgwMTM5M2RkNjkxN2QzOTA5MzLsQaQVXJUtckkgmJl3CsO5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTgwNTMyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Diesel '124 - and shock horror - NCT on a ZV plate :eek:

Seller says it has NCT, but he blocked the reg so we can't check

Was more shocked by the lack of a rev counter myself, although I remember from my youth that most Mercedes (lower end ones at least and most diesels) didn't have one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Seller says it has NCT, but he blocked the reg so we can't check

Was more shocked by the lack of a rev counter myself, although I remember from my youth that most Mercedes (lower end ones at least and most diesels) didn't have one :p

I worked for a lad in Holland in 1995/96 who had a year old 190 diesel - with a 4 speed manual! :eek:

When I twigged it, I remember thinking to myself, you mean wh0re!

That's right, they were so spartan it is hard to imagine these days. They had power steering and that's about it!

4 speed, windy windows, no rev counter, steel wheels, not even a radio as standard :p

And to put things into perspective, a brand new semi-detached house in the likes of Lucan was cheaper than the cheapest base 190D back in the 80s. Unbelievable stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

pablo128 wrote: »
    I worked for a lad in Holland in 1995/96 who had a year old 190 diesel - with a 4 speed manual!
    My good friend bought one second hand about 17 years ago and still drives it. Nothing wrong with it. And the car rides better than most cars in its class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

That's right, they were so spartan it is hard to imagine these days. They had power steering and that's about it!

4 speed, windy windows, no rev counter, steel wheels, not even a radio as standard :p

And to put things into perspective, a brand new semi-detached house in the likes of Lucan was cheaper than the cheapest base 190D back in the 80s. Unbelievable stuff really.

I have the full price list for Mercedes in Germany for W124's from 1991. I mean every possible extra in every possible combination of car. Some of the prices they charged for extras are outrageous, I mean seriously laughable.

The badge on the boot proclaiming the engine size was an extra back then. Even on the top of the range 300E 4-Matic they charged a bit more as there were two badges instead of one!

I'll have to dig it (literally) out of the attic someday and go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Red Kev wrote: »
    I have the full price list for Mercedes in Germany for W124's from 1991. I mean every possible extra in every possible combination of car. Some of the prices they charged for extras are outrageous, I mean seriously laughable.

The badge on the boot proclaiming the engine size was an extra back then. Even on the top of the range 300E 4-Matic they charged a bit more as there were two badges instead of one!
    As far as I remember they were also charging for not having the model badge at the back.

I have a 92 300TE 4matic (without the badge) and when new, it was the price of a new house in Greystones !! Mind you it is well optioned with electric memory seats and auto air con ..... in 1992!!

On the other hand I have a 92 190D 2.0 and it is a 5 speed with a sunroof and that's it, period! Like another poster said, its a real comfy car to ride in, the sort of car you could drive all day long - slowly !!! Love it.

Far from a bargain!

MmM0YzE2MzJlMWVjZTlmYjliZjQ1YzgyOTg5NmU3MGR7dc9Z9TMELdZdOTuW3PIVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTQ3Mjk1OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Looks like a lovingly restored car, claims to have spent €12k on it last year but why oh why did they do that to an underpowered 4.5 with the 3-speed auto? The least desirable 928 of them all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks like a lovingly restored car, claims to have spent €12k on it last year but why oh why did they do that to an underpowered 4.5 with the 3-speed auto? The least desirable 928 of them all?
    I dunno... if I wanted a mint 928 it would be a very early car like that one. I'd want an auto too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

that interior :eek:

The early auto is a 3-speed box, the later 4-speed ZF box is far better. Also the early 4.5l is only 240BHP which is underpowered for the car. A few years later it went up to 310BHP and 4.7l in the 928S (1980 iirc). The only good thing about the car in the ad is that it is early, clean looking and original. Good for a museum, but not for driving :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I might just "suffer" a 4.5L engine and 3-speed for the pure lines and NO NCT!

• Advertisement

The 924 was an Audi, no? :p

Advertisement