Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

unkel wrote: »
    The 924 was an Audi, no? :p

Volkswagen LT FHC :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-325i-cabriolet/14863968

MmJiNzgxMWU2Y2U0OWQzYTEyYTA1NGRkNmI4YjhmZjOrpdnYO6sUAaVN_x-ZhldHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTEwMTQ1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This was for sale at the classic Merlin auction. Nice car, but dare I say a bit distressed

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never had an NCT, Duke.

Madness...and with a number like that I'd imagine it has been here quite a while.

How do they get away with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Madness...and with a number like that I'd imagine it has been here quite a while.

The seller is a bit of a "wheeler dealer" so not surprised it has no nct :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Your talking to owners of 924's with 125bhp from 2.0 :D
    Ha - that probably colours my opinion alright! Also, I had a 4.5L SL with a three speed auto and it moved like a rocket.
    The 924 was an Audi, no? :p
    Just like all modern Lamborghinis!
    I've been through about 3 checkpoints in the past week in SCD. There seems to be no getting away with out of date discs around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MmJiNzgxMWU2Y2U0OWQzYTEyYTA1NGRkNmI4YjhmZjOrpdnYO6sUAaVN_x-ZhldHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTEwMTQ1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This was for sale at the classic Merlin auction. Nice car, but dare I say a bit distressed

He could have put a bit of Blu Tack on that spoiler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Seriously? I'm a big E30 fan, I've had a couple but why would anyone put up a car like that with the front splitter hanging off it. Is he having a laugh. The body work is polished to death but the engine bay looks like it never saw the light of day. What a pile of sh1te.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

emeldc wrote: »
    Seriously? I'm a big E30 fan, I've had a couple but why would anyone put up a car like that with the front splitter hanging off it. Is he having a laugh. The body work is polished to death but the engine bay looks like it never saw the light of day. What a pile of sh1te.
    But... but... chape tax. :pac:

+ 1
    The car isnt even recently polished in that pic...just wet! :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€17,500? For a very low end common Jap car on British plates?

Maybe the seller will get lucky and a fool will depart with their money, who knows. But if I had that kinda money to spend on a classic, the sky would be my limit. Extraordinary and supercars would come to mind (not low end JapCrap). For that money you could have a very decent classic Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Rolls-Royce.

Or just tl;dr - stupid price for common as muck old car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Maybe the seller will get lucky and a fool will depart with their money, who knows. But if I had that kinda money to spend on a classic, the sky would be my limit. Extraordinary and supercars would come to mind (not low end JapCrap). For that money you could have a very decent classic Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Rolls-Royce.

Unkel,you posted more or less what I thought about this car.......but a Ferrari of this price would cost multiples to keep running or get right!!
    There is a really great thread on Pistonheads about a lad who bought a cheap Ferrari,you might like it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1153135

Its actually an original Irish car :P

But I agree 100% with your sentiments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dublin (early '81)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Its in fantastic condition, but its modern equivalent, the mazda 2, is a few grand cheaper brand new

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭MotherTeresa

Lads just a heads up about a ringer. There is a blue MK2 '92 VW Golf van/GTI replica for sale on Donedeal (vintage section).
    The '92 Galway reg doesn't exist on the NCT system. And the car/van has never been NCT tested. Reason being, that plate doesn't belong to that car/van. I hope this saves someone a wasted drive to Mayo, or getting burned buying a ringer to the tune of 3.5K
    Never, ever; buy a classic car without a tax book, and at least an NCT fail sheet to verify the vin number and reg is real.
    We have all seen the ZV TD5 ringers, and Mercedes unknowns such as that R129 before.
    But I can't stand for a man blatantly selling a car he knows is on another cars plates.

I saw that BMW convertible sell at Merlin car auction.
    The lack of effort by some sellers is astounding. 2 minutes to screw 2 self tappers into that front splitter; and yet he can't be bothered.
    Not to mention the lack of NCT. I can never understand the mentality of these sellers.
    55 Euro for a fail sheet that at least details what is needed to a potential buyer.
    Yet they can't bothered, and would sooner drop the price another 200 Euro etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Comes up as a Red Golf Van, CVRT out since 13th Nov 2014.

https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminderContinued

It's a commercial so would NCT wouldn't touch it that's why it's not on their system, Not sure why it currently has rear side glass though.

Many thanks for that.
    I was checking the reg on the NCT site!
    I suppose a car van would be subject to a DOE test rather than NCT then.
    When I saw the rear windows and rear seat, I assumed he must have registered it as a car.
    When I called the seller he was open about the plates not being correct though.
    So I think there is a story to this one. More than just respraying a red van to blue.

• Advertisement

Just a thought..
    Is it actually possible to DOE a car van with rear windows and rear seat?
    I thought the back windows had to be tinted/blacked out so one can't see through them?
    I am wondering if its possible to convert a car van to a car (I mean properly on the tax book).
    I know some people convert jeeps to commercials for the cheaper motor tax rate.
    But I am not sure if one can do it the other way round..

Any thoughts, or anyone been to see this one?
    I think 1.5-2K would be more like the price bearing in mind in needs that rear light area sorted plus the NCT fail work.
    I suppose the question is, can a new light socket be welded into the rear panel, or would it mean a new rear panel completely?
    Funny how the MK2's often seem to go in this area.
    I like the car as the 56 Euro tax is nice, but its just that rust issue making me nervous..
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/86-mk2-golf-gti/15170225

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

30 year old classics and rust go hand in hand.

Any decent fabricator should be able to remake any light bucket and weld in same.

Just a thought..
    Is it actually possible to DOE a car van with rear windows and rear seat?
    I thought the back windows had to be tinted/blacked out so one can't see through them?
    I am wondering if its possible to convert a car van to a car (I mean properly on the tax book).
    I know some people convert jeeps to commercials for the cheaper motor tax rate.
    But I am not sure if one can do it the other way round..

In the early 1990's I converted a Ford Fiesta van to a car, had it officially inspected at a Revenue office and paid the relevant fee (c.£200 iirc). It was then re-classed as a car.

Silvera wrote: »
    In the early 1990's I converted a Ford Fiesta van to a car, had it officially inspected at a Revenue office and paid the relevant fee (c.£200 iirc). It was then re-classed as a car.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I know of people that have converted jeeps to to avail of the cheaper commercial tax rates, and its straightforward.
    But it seems as easy to convert a car van to a car then..
    I suppose the VRT wouldn't be much changing from a car van to car, as if anything the motor tax rate would increase from say 333 to 710 etc.
    So I suppose its just a case of fit the rear windows; seats, seatbelts; then get it inspected and pay the tax. Job done.
    Maybe that is the real reason that Golf hasn't had an NCT. The owner wants to keep it on DOE as a car van to tax it at 333 rather than 710 for a 1.9 TDI.
    I suppose he can't DOE test it with clear rear windows and rear seat, so he is stuck really.
    Shame its not pre '87 and 56 Euro motor tax really, then it would be worth doing.
    I think I will pass on it anyway, too much hassle to sort out either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Silvera wrote: »

I'm pretty certain its next to impossible to do on a modern car as the seat belt anchor points have to be permanently removed and can't be refitted.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain its next to impossible to do on a modern car as the seat belt anchor points have to be permanently removed and can't be refitted.

That is true indeed. I suppose Golf car vans have the threaded anchor holes welded up then? It would be hard to sort that out converting a car van to car.
    I suppose easier from jeep to commercial as its a case of remove the seats, belts, and black out the windows. Weld up the anchor holes and it's done.
    Shame he didn't just leave that MK2 Golf as a car van and DOE it.
    I wouldn't mind it with no back seat and blacked out rear windows.
    330 v 710 motor tax rate though? I don't really fancy the latter until it turns 30 in 2022!
    I suppose the lesson learned is, whatever it is;car/van, leave it alone!

I am liking the 68K mileage and 6K price on this one. However the 2013 pictures (if camera date is correct) puts me off.
    Cars can change condition a lot in 4 years.. And maybe that is the real reason for his quick sale wanted?
    I don't know, looks too good to be true really; and we all know what that means..
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/for-sale-mercedes-280ce-1985/15178389

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

If you have a budget of €6k would you not buy something post '08 to avail of cheaper tax. If you're going to use a 30 y/o car as a daily driver it will break your heart with maintenance. Have you checked out the insurance issues. Most classic policies are subject to mileage limits.

• Advertisement

If you have a budget of €6k would you not buy something post '08 to avail of cheaper tax. If you're going to use a 30 y/o car as a daily driver it will break your heart with maintenance. Have you checked out the insurance issues. Most classic policies are subject to mileage limits.

OK I will answer all your questions.
    My daily is an '87 300D which I recently bought in the North and VRT'd etc.
    See my other posts for more details on that one.
    Its early days, but it hasn't broken my heart yet as it has FSH (20 MBSH stamps in the book etc).
    Currently I pay 160 Euro per year third party fire and theft with Campions.
    5K per annum mileage limit, and one needs to be a member of the IVETA.
    It's a second car of course, so the 5K mileage is more than enough for me.
    In reality this is never checked or enforced anyway.
    For what its worth, my other car is a 2010 Golf 1.6 to avail of the 200 motor tax rate as you mention.
    But I abhor driving the Golf as it's so sterile, sensible, forgettable, etc.
    The 300D is more me really. 30MPG combined driving, and at 250K miles on the clock it's only run in. No electronics, DPF, clutch and flywheel issues like modern cars. Plenty of power from the 3 litre too.
    So classics don't always have to break one's heart really.

Advertisement