Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OK I will answer all your questions.
    My daily is an '87 300D which I recently bought in the North and VRT'd etc.
    See my other posts for more details on that one.
    Its early days, but it hasn't broken my heart yet as it has FSH (20 MBSH stamps in the book etc).
    Currently I pay 160 Euro per year third party fire and theft with Campions.
    5K per annum mileage limit, and one needs to be a member of the IVETA.
    It's a second car of course, so the 5K mileage is more than enough for me.
    In reality this is never checked or enforced anyway.
    For what its worth, my other car is a 2010 Golf 1.6 to avail of the 200 motor tax rate as you mention.
    But I abhor driving the Golf as it's so sterile, sensible, forgettable, etc.
    The 300D is more me really. 30MPG combined driving, and at 250K miles on the clock it's only run in. No electronics, DPF, clutch and flywheel issues like modern cars. Plenty of power from the 3 litre too.
    So classics don't always have to break one's heart really.

Ah right, I see where you're coming from. I thought you were looking for a daily driver but with €56 tax. At less than 5k miles p/a you should be ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭MotherTeresa

emeldc wrote: »
    Ah right, I see where you're coming from. I thought you were looking for a daily driver but with €56 tax. At less than 5k miles p/a you should be ok.

Ironically it would be less maintenance if I did a higher mileage say 20K per year. Reason being, it's better to get the engines hot and blow all the coke out of them on longer runs than around town driving.
    My father was a taxi driver, and bought one new in 1990. He changed the oil every 10K and sold it with 370K miles on the clock. The engine was like new.
    Nothing unusual to do 500K miles on the same engine really (with 10K oil changes).
    5K per year isn't really enough to keep the engine clean. So once a week I take it for a long run to blow the coke out of it. As I do shorter journeys usually i am going to change the oil every 5K rather than 10K.
    My father used to average 34MPG on long runs, and the same 30MPG combined in his one back in the '90's. So mine is returning close to what it did new with 250K on the clock.
    To be honest with you, my 2010 Golf is more likely to break down at 5K per year! But that is 3 litre diesel v 1.6 litre diesel engines for you.

As a matter of interest, who underwrites the insurance at €160. Whats the criteria, it sounds like a great deal. I pay €300 with First Ireland (AIG) on a '00 BMW.

As a matter of interest, who underwrites the insurance at €160. Whats the criteria, it sounds like a great deal. I pay €300 with First Ireland (AIG) on a '00 BMW.

RSA. Campions have a deal set up with IVETA members. 130 third party only or 160 TPFT. The car has to be 20 plus, and naturally there is an age limit on the driver too. The only real main criteria is that it's a second car, and one has insurance cover on the other one. They don't ask me for NCT cert to prove the 5K mileage when I renew annually etc. It was the best deal I could find. I am currently with AXA on my Golf, but they wanted another 300 for my 300D so I went with Campion. The IVETA annual membership is 20 per year, but Campions don't seem to check that either!

RSA. Campions have a deal set up with IVETA members. 130 third party only or 160 TPFT. The car has to be 20 plus, and naturally there is an age limit on the driver too. The only real main criteria is that it's a second car, and one has insurance cover on the other one. They don't ask me for NCT cert to prove the 5K mileage when I renew annually etc. It was the best deal I could find. I am currently with AXA on my Golf, but they wanted another 300 for my 300D so I went with Campion. The IVETA annual membership is 20 per year, but Campions don't seem to check that either!

Isn't that gas! I was actually with RSA with the BMW and the last quote I got was €600 ........ because of the age of the car :). They knew it wasn't my only car. So if I wait until it is 2 years older I can insure it for less than €200 :confused:. You couldn't make it up LOL.

• Advertisement

Isn't that gas! I was actually with RSA with the BMW and the last quote I got was €600 ........ because of the age of the car :). They knew it wasn't my only car. So if I wait until it is 2 years older I can insure it for less than €200 :confused:. You couldn't make it up LOL.

You could make it up..
    That is exactly what Irish insurers do, make up the premiums.
    I have 20 years no claims bonus and a clean licence.
    My insurance increased 30% last year. Explain that one?
    Oh yeah, Setanta went bust..
    So we will pump up everyone's policy 30% right..
    Then there is the; we don't insure anything over 10 years, 15 years, 20 years etc nonsense.
    They just make the criteria and premiums up as they go along.
    Its like AXA, 300 for a 5K limit second car? No thanks friend.
    160 with Campion is fair enough, but they won't insure your 2000 BMW, yest will when its 20. Sure what difference does it make? 17 year old cars crash the same as 20 year old ones etc.
    In the UK there is more competition and a bigger market, so classic owners really get a better deal than here.
    Its only a matter of time before the 200 VRT gets ramped up to 500, and the 56 motor tax to 100 etc.
    Welcome to Ireland, let's force everyone into 2008 on cars, then hammer them on insurance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

My father used to average 34MPG on long runs, and the same 30MPG combined in his one back in the '90's. So mine is returning close to what it did new with 250K on the clock.
    I remember my friend averaging 47+ mpg regularly in his 1987 300D and the car had over 800k on the clock km at the time. The tank was factory upgraded to 100 litres, so the calculations were very accurate (the gearbox was manual which made all the difference).

On a side note, these engines can be fuelled by almost anything including hydraulic fluid (proven in practice).

Seweryn wrote: »
    I remember my friend averaging 47+ mpg regularly in his 1987 300D and the car had over 800k on the clock km at the time. The tank was factory upgraded to 100 litres, so the calculations were very accurate (the gearbox was manual which made all the difference).

On a side note, these engines can be fuelled by almost anything including hydraulic fluid (proven in practice).

47+MPG sounds very impressive if true.
    As the factory figures for the automatic 4 speed are below. It goes to show how much more economical the manual is. Personally I would never drive a manual Mercedes as I always found the gearchange to very heavy. The automatic is a much smoother drive really.
    Urban: 30.6mpg
    56 mph: 46mpg
    75mph: 35.9mpg

47+MPG sounds very impressive if true.
    As the factory figures for the automatic 4 speed are below. It goes to show how much more economical the manual is.
    Yeah, the manual is miles ahead. I guess about 25% better at least. I never liked the way the automatic Mercedes is geared, which has a huge impact on the fuel economy and comfort. Basically, the top gear engages at 45 km/h if driven gently and that's about it. Good for city driving though.
    Personally I would never drive a manual Mercedes as I always found the gear change to very heavy.
    Yes, the gear change in a gearbox with worn out gear linkage bushings, etc. is not going to be nice. And I guess it almost never get repaired by the owner, especially in a 20+ year old car and it is believed that's the way a manual Mercedes gearbox works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Seweryn wrote: »

Option code 915 !!

90 litres and for the price of a small house in Bray!!

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    Option code 915 !!

90 litres and for the price of a small house in Bray!!
    Yeah, but with a bit of effort you could squeeze more into it. And on a long cruise the range was not far off 2k km :cool:.

Any thoughts on this one? I quite like it; looks all original. If the mileage is a genuine 80K then I think it's worth the 200 Euro extra to VRT it. Always nice to get something on 56 Euro motor tax rate. I owned a 320i and 325i over the years but they were manual. Anyone owned an automatic one? Lovely sound from the straight 6. One of my favourite exhaust notes really.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-320-e30/15199707

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Any thoughts on this one? I quite like it; looks all original. If the mileage is a genuine 80K then I think it's worth the 200 Euro extra to VRT it. Always nice to get something on 56 Euro motor tax rate. I owned a 320i and 325i over the years but they were manual. Anyone owned an automatic one? Lovely sound from the straight 6. One of my favourite exhaust notes really.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-320-e30/15199707

Check winscreen surrounds, inner wings, sills, bottom of doors, battery tray, sunroof, roof, fuel tank for rust. Rear of the seats look like they have been off, it's not unusual for the frames to crack - so check they are solid and straight.

It's not going to be fast with the auto, more of a leisurely cruiser. No real demand for the 320, nor the auto box - and this is the older chrome bumper version too.

Price is cheeky IMO, despite the mileage and only half decent condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They would have been better off restoring it back to factory spec. No windows, standard seats and proper metal for the frame. It would be easier to sell, especially in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

kyote00 wrote: »

See post #1068 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

elperello wrote: »

love that, don't like the 1 off 1600 bit though.
    more like someone replaced the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

RobAMerc wrote: »
    love that, don't like the 1 off 1600 bit though.
    more like someone replaced the engine.

Its just a case of the advertiser leaving out a comma. Should read ".....really is a 1 off, 1600 twincam....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

The Giulietta came initially as a 1.3 and a 1.6. Two years later they introduced the 1.8 and the 2.0. Even though those two smaller engines are a bit gutless considering the weight of the car, any time I drove one of these, I always felt you still got plenty of that 'smile on your face' raspy twin-cam Alfa sound, no matter how tiny the horsepower ratio was. 

And the feeling of that slow change rear transaxle gearbox is something that only people that ever owned one these Alfa transaxle gear boxes know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

This Saab 900 has been for sale for a good while now. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for non-turbos. I saw it at a show recently and it looked pretty tidy. Always a bit off putting when the seller can't be arsed putting a test on it though:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rare-classic-saab-900i/14261593

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah a non-turbo four door is not going to appeal to the masses but certainly to a weirdo like me it does (big time)

I'd be skeptical of his estimate for the rust repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

JKerova1 wrote: »
    This Saab 900 has been for sale for a good while now. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for non-turbos. I saw it at a show recently and it looked pretty tidy. Always a bit off putting when the seller can't be arsed putting a test on it though:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rare-classic-saab-900i/14261593

Have been toying with having a look at this one.Non turbo and no nct scares the life out if me.Waiting for a turbo to show up......

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Have been toying with having a look at this one.Non turbo and no nct scares the life out if me.Waiting for a turbo to show up......

I have seen it up close and it is a very tidy car but like you I'd be wary that he hasn't bothered to test it when it is supposedly such an easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very nice.
    That's what you call a proper "Yank Tank".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

^ the rear doors look tiny on that yank tank - though they're probably bigger than a 'normal' cars doors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Only problem with the turbos is the extra stress on the gearbox pinion which is the 900s Achilles heel. It's an engine out job !
    I had a 2 door sedan model before. Nice car but not something that i miss.

Wouldn't worry about the rust. They are fully galvanised.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Serious price drop today!!!

Advertisement