Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There was a dealership in a little village near us. They sold a few dozen altogether. Mainly Leone saloons with a few Mini Jumbos and a half dozen of the Leone pick ups. Garage owner claimed that they were poor for his business, as none of the ones he sold ever came in for any kind of repair!
    The old Subaru sign is still in place, despite the garage being closed for nearly twenty years. Must take a pic. of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I had an early non turbo Impreza that developed a brake problem that nobody seemed to get to the bottom of so I rang the nearest main dealer which was phill kirwin in Duncormick, he said to come down on Saturday afternoon and we'll sort em out. He himself removed the calipers as the workshop staff were gone home and replaced the seals, charged me fûck all too.
    An absolute gent of a man and if I recall correctly the only major mechanical issue I had with that car in 3 years until September 11 2001 when I drive it into the rear of a VW Jetta and finished her off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sugarman wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-leone/9310921?offset=3

Not sure if original Irish as its not stated, but havent seen one of these in YEARS and this one looks fairly spotless.

Something about it I like.
    That actually looks like it's made of Lego.

Or was a prop in an 80s movie set in the future where all cars look like that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

At the risk of getting a permanent ban I'm actually looking for an XT in good condition. Hated them when they came out, but just love the madness behind the design, no idea how to steer it with mild OCD.

Loved the SVX and came within a day of buying one when I lived in Germany but ended out with a W124 estate as I just needed something fast and spacious.

0700000010026_2-700x346.jpg

tumblr_m1ba4pJt0q1roi5yvo1_1280.jpg

Pre 87 Irish Subaru 700 for sale on adverts.ie with a bit of NCT and tax for €1350

http://www.adverts.ie/car/subaru/other-subaru/subaru-700-1986-nct-tax-1-owner-from-new-only-37000-miles/8205696

NjU1MGQ5ZGVmNzUxMDk2MzZjZGI1M2Y1NTk0ZTdmOTaILdPTZRX3sb2KJRJ4N5xEaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYjNmZjNhZGY1MDQ4MTMwYmRiMjI4OTcwOTBmMTBjNzg4OGY3NWY3MTRlZTRlOWU4MjEwZjJjYmUwY2MyNGMwZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement

My good deeds for today.

Cheers, but I saw that a few months ago. Rusted, accident damaged and parts needed for an NCT is a big no-no. Has the potential to be a serious money pit and it's be cheaper to get a LHD one from the continent when they hit 30 next year if I'm still desperate. (It's also crying out for a period reg plate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

mb1725 wrote: »
    Healthy bidding on that Merc.

Couldnt have been in a barn that long if it managed to get itself imported into Ireland at some point since zv plates started. Something about "barn find" and "I am genuine" is bothering me.

When was it ZVs were introduced, I have it in my head it was sometime in the 90s so it could be possible and it is a 4 digit number so an early one I think

When was it ZVs were introduced, I have it in my head it was sometime in the 90s so it could be possible and it is a 4 digit number so an early one I think

You are right - it was 1992... Still, I reckon that car had had a far more active existance than what the seller is trying to portray. Dont know why, I just do!! I'm getting cynical.:rolleyes:

Also, ZV's were issued to counties in blocks, so its entirely possible that it was reg'ed relatively late in a county where there arent many classics - like Leitrim :eek:

(also, its a 65 merc, it wouldnt have been a classic till '95 - might have been imported then)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

6406 is part of the Dublin first allocation (5801-6800). Dublin got a 1000, Cork 500 and the rest of the counties 200. I think 5 areas didn't burn through their allotted 200 (Leitrim, Limerick City, Longford, Sligo and Waterford City) before the "great computer change" of Dec 2011.

Dublin hadn't used their second allocation (originally pencilled in as 7201-17200) before that date either (I have 3 of those) and the last one before the bump up to 10001 was 9889.

Being a blow in I wouldn't have a clue when it was issued, but mid-1990s seems plausible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I wish my barn was as nice as that. Who takes a valuable old Meec and out 15 years of "barn storage" and drives it 180 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

weadick wrote: »

Interesting that non-euro plates are fitted to a car, which should have (period-correct) euro plates?! It's usually the other way around!:D

If it's genuine Irish then it's seriously rare and the €3500 asking isn't too far off the mark. They sold over 1.5m of these in the UK, but there's less than 2,000 left on the road.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/metro-turbo-price-drop/9597422?offset=12

42540221.jpeg

EDIT: Just noticed it has no NCT, so might not be as such a bargain.

Red Kev wrote: »
    They sold over 1.5m of these in the UK, but there's less than 2,000 left on the road.

Is it any wonder why?

That car was for sale a few months back for €5k with no engine

It must be summer....

43487693.jpeg

Still one of the prettiest convertibles around. While this may seem pricey - its not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Red Kev wrote: »
    They sold over 1.5m of these in the UK, but there's less than 2,000 left on the road.

That could be said of a lot of 1980s cars. I don't have the UK top ten of 1985 handy, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are only a tiny proportion of those bread 'n' butter cars left. It's just natural shrinkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Turbo Metro was hardly a bread and butter car ( grey porridge in the motorcycle world) even in its day it was a bit hen's teeth..

Is it any wonder why?

That car was for sale a few months back for €5k with no engine

It was probably more reliable without the engine. :confused:

Needs some work for NCT, but otherwise this seems to be quite good value.

43576964.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love the Roller. Ad seems honest and it says it comes with previous (old) NCT. Checked that but the NCT website doesn't recognise the reg, or did I read it wrong? It is 80D1532, isn't it? I tried 80D1582 and 80D1592 as well

If all it needs is tyres and and a bearing and otherwise it is in good condition, it is good value for money. Anybody going to Terenure, tell us more about it if you see it!

If it was one year older it'd be worth more over here, mad

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

looks like 1532 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

unkel wrote: »
    Love the Roller. Ad seems honest and it says it comes with previous (old) NCT. Checked that but the NCT website doesn't recognise the reg, or did I read it wrong? It is 80D1532, isn't it? I tried 80D1582 and 80D1592 as well

If all it needs is tyres and and a bearing and otherwise it is in good condition, it is good value for money. Anybody going to Terenure, tell us more about it if you see it!

http://www.mywheels.ie/free-car-check-report/?VRN=80d1532

Odd that it's not showing on NCT though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It must be summer....

Still one of the prettiest convertibles around. While this may seem pricey - its not bad.
    7.5k seems decent value these days for an early chrome bumper Spider. No shots of the interior suggests it might need work and hard to tell from those pics whether the body/paint would hold up on closer inspection.

Gorgeous cars... I never saw my blue one again after I sold it about 7 years ago. :(

• Advertisement

Is it not odd that its mentioned the car is a us import despite it being rhd and the massive chrome GB letters on the back..

Advertisement