Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

w124man wrote: »
    Rear badge is wrong I think. 2.0 litre diesel of that era should have a diesel badge as well. Painfully slow!

At that price and if it's not rotten, I would imagine it's ripe for a 3.0 td and autobox conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a pity it's a diesel and a manual. Both very undesirable as the diesel has only 60BHP iirc, which makes it extremely slow.

That said if it really is a 70s W123 that's not rotten, it's a bargain. Obviously if it's an 80s car and it doesn't have an NCT, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

So what is it? How can we be sure? If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's not legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

unkel wrote: »
    It's a pity it's a diesel and a manual. Both very undesirable as the diesel has only 60BHP iirc, which make it extremely slow.

That said if it really is a 70s W123 that's not rotten, it's a bargain. Obviously it's an 80s car and it doesn't have an NCT, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

So what is it? How can we be sure? If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's not legit.

Can you point out one thing on that car that would suggest it's not a 79? I'm as cynical as the next man when I see a car with an old Irish reg but there's nothing to suggest from the pics that there's question marks over that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I thought a Merc of that year had a vertical headlight, not a horizontal.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/huntingdale/cars-vans-utes/1974-mercedes-benz-w115/1168235575

What would this roughly be worth in Ireland.
    2500 Euro buys it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Worth €5000 all day or €9995 at tenernure if you were lucky and somebody wanted a green one .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Bigus wrote: »
    Worth €5000 all day or €9995 at tenernure if you were lucky and somebody wanted a green one .
    With a "set of really lower springs". Good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Bigus wrote: »

Lol

Or €12995 at the RDS!!!

Australia is such a great place for right hand drive dry to the bone classics. Could be a nice business bringing them in

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albion/cars-vans-utes/1951-mercedes-benz-170s/1175459880

I like this.
    Could drive this most days.
    Around 41k Euros.
    Could I get 60k Euros here for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/huntingdale/cars-vans-utes/1974-mercedes-benz-w115/1168235575

What would this roughly be worth in Ireland.
    2500 Euro buys it

Less than in the UK, which is where it would probably be shipped to. And where it's cheaper to import it to the EU before you move it on to Ireland.

Nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

something about it dosent look right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

oceanman wrote: »

The bodykit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

hi5 wrote: »

Silage tape over the numberplates - the culchies photoshop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

hi5 wrote: »
    The bodykit.
    It's a real shame alright!

sentra-body-kit-wood.jpg
    Gravelly wrote: »
    Silage tape over the numberplates - the culchies photoshop.
    UK plates, too, by the look of it!

I'm sure it's all above board though. Wonder how the NCT has to run...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1954-hillman-minx-mk-8/18297255

NzAwMjVkOGQ2NzY0ZTNmODFmOTA1ODk0YzJjYjA1ZTjY46HoDchaCu3IljK1N51daHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NzM2MzMwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

'54 Minx at very reasonable money, £1500 (€1700) even if it does need a little work. Irish reg. Looks decent enough, a 'drive it like it is' car and fairly rare and unusual

The buyer would want to confirm what the exact situation is with the registration and documents though, UK and Irish paperwork :pac:

Testacalda wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1954-hillman-minx-mk-8/18297255

NzAwMjVkOGQ2NzY0ZTNmODFmOTA1ODk0YzJjYjA1ZTjY46HoDchaCu3IljK1N51daHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NzM2MzMwM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

'54 Minx at very reasonable money, even if it does need a little work. Irish reg. Looks decent enough, a 'drive it like it is' car and fairly rare and unusual

The buyer would want to confirm what the exact situation is with the registration and documents though, UK and Irish paperwork :pac:

If the body is decent underneath, that's a bargain. Very usable little starter classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Good car for the price. Bodykit is aftermarket so can be removed and sold, depending on who the original manufacturer was, but it doesn't look like one of the really desirable ones like Lorinser. Bodykits are fetching good money in some countries like Germany as it was a real 1980's or early 90's thing.

Testacalda wrote: »

'54 Minx at very reasonable money, £1500 (€1700) even if it does need a little work. Irish reg. Looks decent enough, a 'drive it like it is' car and fairly rare and unusual

Reg plate checks out as early 1954 Dublin. Possibly exported, then re-imported. Unusual enough, but if the chassis numbers check out then it's a good price provided it#s in reasonable shape.

• Advertisement

Thats a bargain [The Hillman] - I'm so tempted.

Paperwork is in order for it. It was imported and the owner took the first few steps in getting it reg'd up North but its still live on the Irish system.

Its so tempting.

Anyone wanna buy a Transit camper!? :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/stunning-mgb-gt-v8-fully-restored/18300854

YWE1ZDFlNjZhNGJhMWIwYWM4YWZlNGM0YjQwNTRlN2RYGKHqhHZro8X83LT05VE7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NzM5NzM4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MGB GT V8.

This is a stunner. Seller has some very nice cars and bikes, and good reviews online too. Not sure there'll be much of a market for a €25k MG here though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/stunning-mgb-gt-v8-fully-restored/18300854

YWE1ZDFlNjZhNGJhMWIwYWM4YWZlNGM0YjQwNTRlN2RYGKHqhHZro8X83LT05VE7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NzM5NzM4N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MGB GT V8.

This is a stunner. Seller has some very nice cars and bikes, and good reviews online too. Not sure there'll be much of a market for a €25k MG here though.

If it's a factory V8 (and on a cursory glance, going by the wheels, badgeing, engine set up etc. it might be) it's worth that and a lot more. It also has all the desirable modifications done. You're right about a limited market here, but it would sell very quickly in the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Greybottle wrote: »
    Good car for the price. Bodykit is aftermarket so can be removed and sold, depending on who the original manufacturer was, but it doesn't look like one of the really desirable ones like Lorinser. Bodykits are fetching good money in some countries like Germany as it was a real 1980's or early 90's thing.
    I bought a 107 SL with a huge spoiler and removing it exposed four dirty big holes in the boot lid. Cost me a few hundred quid to get cleaned up!

Dades wrote: »
    I bought a 107 SL with a huge spoiler and removing it exposed four dirty big holes in the boot lid. Cost me a few hundred quid to get cleaned up!

That's the problem with a lot of these ott bodykits - a friend of mine bought what seemed like a bargain Merc 190 that had a hideous bodykit on it, with the intention of removing the bodykit, and maybe having to do a bit of cleaning up to get it looking original, only to discover that the kit had been attached using rivets and tek screws, and the wheel arches had been guntered to make it fit. He'd have bought a nice clean one for what it ended up taking to get the body right.

I think the body kit is period correct. Not as if it was fitted yesterday, it probably was added in 80's early 90's.
    It's a bit retro

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FUBO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gravelly wrote: »
    If it's a factory V8 (and on a cursory glance, going by the wheels, badgeing, engine set up etc. it might be) it's worth that and a lot more. It also has all the desirable modifications done. You're right about a limited market here, but it would sell very quickly in the UK.

Interestingly it was only brought in from the UK last week.

Interestingly it was only brought in from the UK last week.

Wonder why? The market for MGB's is infinitely larger in the UK than here. Looking at the mods done I'd assumed they'd been done over there alright, but strange to bring it over here to sell it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

oceanman wrote: »

YTllZGQ5ZWE3ZDNhMDQ1MDc5OWJhYzExZjI3NDljMTP0pFyoujOsAYhS0eMcUIZKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjQ0NjM0Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

;)

Masters-Shopping-Trolley-side.jpg

Advertisement