Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

tc20 wrote: »
    ^^ @ kadman - is that your handywork on (I think) a Type 3??

It is to both questions:)

[IMG][/img]GUUfdYC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

11wingnut wrote: »

I remember us sending a near-perfect one of these, in white, off to the crusher years ago after someone had traded it against a new passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gravelly wrote: »
    I remember us sending a near-perfect one of these, in white, off to the crusher years ago after someone had traded it against a new passat.

Was that the Government scrappage scheme?
    Some nice cars met an untimely end over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

They had no value at the time though. Value is a strange thing.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

Was that the Government scrappage scheme?
    Some nice cars met an untimely end over that.

It was. Unfortunately, even if you wanted to save a nice car, you couldn’t under the rules of the scheme. Though as flatty said above, they had little value at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It was. Unfortunately, even if you wanted to save a nice car, you couldn’t under the rules of the scheme. Though as flatty said above, they had little value at the time.

Yes they had to go to the scrapper and a cert issued.
    Pity all the same.
    €1500 is all they got and a clean one would surely have made that.

elperello wrote: »

Yes they had to go to the scrapper and a cert issued.
    Pity all the same.
    €1500 is all they got and a clean one would surely have made that.

I heard stories of cars a lot nicer than that being scrappped under the scheme. There was a story that an elderly lady in Dublin scrapped a Mk5 cortina that had been in storage almost from new as her husband had died days after buying it. Had the plastic still on the seats. Apparently she refused an offer well over the scrap value from the garage proprietor.

She may not have wanted to see it being driven about the place. Understandable if true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

flatty wrote: »
    She may not have wanted to see it being driven about the place. Understandable if true.
    Not really. The husband was dead at least 20 years. She could have given the excess over the scrappage to charity, offered the car to a younger relative, or any number of other less narrow-minded options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

after that list of changes could you really call it a 280Z? I think i would have preferred it before they changed it.

Dades wrote: »
    Not really. The husband was dead at least 20 years. She could have given the excess over the scrappage to charity, offered the car to a younger relative, or any number of other less narrow-minded options.
    Ah right. It was the only explanation that made any sense to be, if the story is true. I know of a similar story where a car was only sold for export. I could understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ah right. It was the only explanation that made any sense to be, if the story is true. I know of a similar story where a car was only sold for export. I could understand it.

We picked up a minty mint Volvo 245 estate from a retired doctor, and told him we would be lovingly restoring it. A fortnight later we wrecked it up in Nutts Corner!

Another lad gave me a set of alloys, and went mad when he twigged them on another banger as it was on the starting line. He was particularly annoyed that we had painted them red! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You must be so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dades wrote: »
    You must be so proud.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I remember very very clean cars going to the scraper at that time. A Saab 900 turbo, A Kadette GTE and BMW 523i comes to mind in particular. I worked in a dealership at the time, and, I stand to be corrected on this, but the chassis, and engine had to be crushed. In that dealership, they had cut a deal with the local scrapper. He bought them at a very nice discount, and sold the parts that didn't have to be disposed of under the rules of the scheme. Although, I do know of 2 cases where the engine was taken out and put into another car.

At the time, there was plenty of cars still on the road that would make the scrappage scheme cars worth something to a scrap yard.

I remember very very clean cars going to the scraper at that time. A Saab 900 turbo, A Kadette GTE and BMW 523i comes to mind in particular. I worked in a dealership at the time, and, I stand to be corrected on this, but the chassis, and engine had to be crushed. In that dealership, they had cut a deal with the local scrapper. He bought them at a very nice discount, and sold the parts that didn't have to be disposed of under the rules of the scheme. Although, I do know of 2 cases where the engine was taken out and put into another car.

At the time, there was plenty of cars still on the road that would make the scrappage scheme cars worth something to a scrap yard.

Heard a few similar stories myself.

I read in one of the UK car magazines (Car Mechanics I think) about a woman that traded an MGB in for a Hyundai Atoz during the scrappage scheme over there. Sacrilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-525-1980/18440064

NzhlODY4NmZiNWJmZTM4MjMwNmEyNWEwMTZhZmNmYmNfTJi3Cda6ei0oWcAef28UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ3MjA1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

525 auto with NCT to 2019 for sub €5k. Looks nice too, wonder what kind of "minor TLC" it needs though

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-525-1980/18440064

NzhlODY4NmZiNWJmZTM4MjMwNmEyNWEwMTZhZmNmYmNfTJi3Cda6ei0oWcAef28UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ3MjA1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

525 auto with NCT to 2019 for sub €5k. Looks nice too, wonder what kind of "minor TLC" it needs though

Looks fantastic, though my experience with classics says that if it's been garaged for 5 years, there's probably a fair bit that needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ODQzZDcxZjEzMTIyMGIxYjEzNGQ0MWRkZTFlNDUzNWaYtf7YaEVuxBNvJKs-qoxYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ2ODIwMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    A steal at only 1500

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Looks fantastic, though my experience with classics says that if it's been garaged for 5 years, there's probably a fair bit that needs doing.

I would imagine that means the owner kept it garaged while they owned it. A 2019 NCT is a good indicator IMO

80sDiesel wrote: »
    ODQzZDcxZjEzMTIyMGIxYjEzNGQ0MWRkZTFlNDUzNWaYtf7YaEVuxBNvJKs-qoxYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ2ODIwMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    A steal at only 1500

If that car is genuine it's a bargain - interior looks a bit rough but you'd live with it or change it out for €1500.

I would imagine that means the owner kept it garaged while they owned it. A 2019 NCT is a good indicator IMO

Ah - misread it as sitting in a garage for 5 years. If he just means it was kept in a garage it's a different kettle of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wow an E12 with NCT for reasonable money. Automatic and straight 6. Carburettor though, not fuel injected? That is a rare find. Am I right that because it's a 1980 car, it will only need to pass 1 more NCT test (from 2019 to 2020) to become exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If that car is genuine it's a bargain - interior looks a bit rough but you'd live with it or change it out for €1500.

Hasn't seen an NCT in a decade, but could be worth a punt. E30s are quickly appreciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

unkel wrote: »

Hasn't seen an NCT in a decade, but could be worth a punt. E30s are quickly appreciating.
    Where do you see that? On NCT.ie it says it due on the 24/4/18

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

unkel wrote: »
    Wow an E12 with NCT for reasonable money. Automatic and straight 6. Carburettor though, not fuel injected? That is a rare find. Am I right that because it's a 1980 car, it will only need to pass 1 more NCT test (from 2019 to 2020) to become exempt?

Thats right! I forgot about that. [re NCT]

Better again.

Well worth the money IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Where do you see that? On NCT.ie it says it due on the 24/4/18

It also says that the NCT ran out on 23/4/2010. If it has run out they just put in the renewal date for the next year. It's a bit confusing.

After 24th April this year the NCT website will say Due Date is 24/04/2019.

There could be a lot wrong with it for that money, probably needs a new brake overhaul by this stage as well as new tyres, battery, all fluids and filters, sump drop and clean and possibly bits off the new exhaust for starters. If it has been moved or started even occasionally then it may not be too bad.

If it has rust then it's fecked, they rust from the inside out on the worst parts.

Advertisement