Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ah - misread it as sitting in a garage for 5 years. If he just means it was kept in a garage it's a different kettle of fish!

He is right about it needing a garage.
    If you started leaving that out in the weather you would see it disintegrating before your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Would be really wary with that E30. It's slammed into the ground. What a terrible thing to do to a car in the first place. But he says there's no rust, worth between 5 and 7 grand (debatable) and only looking for a too good to be true €1500 ? There's some sort of an aftermarket thing on the dash on pic 10. Suspension related? The sill on the 3rd and 4th pic looks like it's got a recent dose of shulch. And not quiet straight. In the 9th pic there looks to be some overspray on the door seal. No pic of the engine bay. No NCT for years. No way would I go near it without thinking if it's scrap value would be more that €1500.

Or maybe I'm a bit too harsh :)

Edit: I see he says there's new paint. That's the overspray accounted for. But what is the paint hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Would be really wary with that E30. It's slammed into the ground. What a terrible thing to do to a car in the first place. But he says there's no rust, worth between 5 and 7 grand (debatable) and only looking for a too good to be true €1500 ? There's some sort of an aftermarket thing on the dash on pic 10. Suspension related? The sill on the 3rd and 4th pic looks like it's got a recent dose of shulch. And not quiet straight. In the 9th pic there looks to be some overspray on the door seal. No pic of the engine bay. No NCT for years. No way would I go near it without thinking if it's scrap value would be more that €1500.

Or maybe I'm a bit too harsh :)

Edit: I see he says there's new paint. That's the overspray accounted for. But what is the paint hiding?
    I am not into BMWs but if i was i would be thinking.....If he has paid to get it resprayed it must not have been a basket case to begin with.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I am not into BMWs but if i was i would be thinking.....If he has paid to get it resprayed it must not have been a basket case to begin with.

Paint can cover an awful lot of trouble in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

The other thing is that we are in an odd market, driven in part by investors looking for anywhere to make a return, which drove initially the high end market insane, and this is now rising an awful lot of boats. Many so called "appreciating classics" are nothing of the sort. They are increasing in value at present not through rarity or design beauty or engineering genius. They are increasing in value in truth on slightly spurious grounds.
    I have two "classic" cars. They are, in theory, appreciating, but not my as much as running costs. Also, sticking them on auto trader or done deal with a price tag for x amount, does not mean they are worth x amount. They are worth what someone actually hands over for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

flatty wrote: »
    The other thing is that we are in an odd market, driven in part by investors looking for anywhere to make a return, which drove initially the high end market insane, and this is now rising an awful lot of boats. Many so called "appreciating classics" are nothing of the sort. They are increasing in value at present not through rarity or design beauty or engineering genius. They are increasing in value in truth on slightly spurious grounds.
    I have two "classic" cars. They are, in theory, appreciating, but not my as much as running costs. Also, sticking them on auto trader or done deal with a price tag for x amount, does not mean they are worth x amount. They are worth what someone actually hands over for them.

Very true - I usually buy my classics in the UK as they tend to be cheaper, better kept, and obviously there's far more choice. I've never made more than a few hundred euros on a classic, and anyone buying anything other than rare high-end stuff is mad to think they will. Buy them and enjoy them is my view. I'd love to get the prices for mine that lads advertise them on donedeal for - most seem to put very ordinary classics up for crazy money, either to allow for a lot of horse trading, or in the hope of catching a sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-x19-1979/18440079

NzUxMjAyYzliZTA0MzU5NWYxZDFlZmJmYjM4NjVjMmSpXFRKK4IRSAy9oYXVf_VyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ3MjEyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice little number for the summer. NCT exempt, €2900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-x19-1979/18440079

NzUxMjAyYzliZTA0MzU5NWYxZDFlZmJmYjM4NjVjMmSpXFRKK4IRSAy9oYXVf_VyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODQ3MjEyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Nice little number for the summer. NCT exempt, €2900

There used to be quite a few of those around in my youth, but they are as rare as hens teeth now. A great little drive by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Worth a call to your insurer first :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

unkel wrote: »
    Worth a call to your insurer first :p

Their possible reaction....

laughing-men.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yeah... 1985.

Sure :rolleyes:

Enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's got the lower body cladding and integrated front end grill which was added in 1990 I think so it's not an 85 but if that's so how does it have ZV plates? Thought it would have to be 85 or at least 30 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's got the lower body cladding and integrated front end grill which was added in 1990 I think so it's not an 85 but if that's so how does it have ZV plates? Thought it would have to be 85 or at least 30 years old?

Hmm, interesting alright. Would the cladding fit the older model if it was added afterwards. Although if the grill is wrong as well.....maybe it's ropey. Pity, it looks straight enough.

It also has the OM606 engine, the last series interior, door handles, the engine bonnet, headlights, rear lights, and... well, more less everything "from" the E-Class model (1993 up).
    emeldc wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting alright. Would the cladding fit the older model if it was added afterwards. Although if the grill is wrong as well.....maybe it's ropey. Pity, it looks straight enough.
    Cladding is the least difficult collection of bits to swap, but... as above, it clearly is a 1985 "on paper".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I'm wondering myself the bonnet swap is easy not sure if the panels can be fitted easily to a pre-facelift model.

edit - classification post above :)

Well I'm wondering myself the bonnet swap is easy not sure if the panels can be fitted easily to a pre-facelift model.
    Headlights
    Rear Lights
    Indicator Lights
    Interior
    Exterior
    Engine
    Bonnet
    Grill
    Boot Lid

Really? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Clearly a newer type Merc, 1990 on wards. Looks a 1995 to me, just a guess. I guess he changed the 9 to an 8 when clearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

The intake vent slats in the wing are more telling.

Bigus wrote: »
    The intake vent slats in the wing are more telling.

they were on the diesels weren't they?

Augeo wrote: »
    they were on the diesels weren't they?
    Only on the 20 and 24V (normally aspirated - OM605 and OM606), and on the turbocharged versions (not available as RHD).

Seweryn wrote: »
    Only on the 20 and 24V (normally aspirated - OM605 and OM606), and on the turbocharged versions (not available as RHD).

Yeah, I had an OM602 that could have done with them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I had a '91 and it had the earlier OM603 engine, so along with all the other bits it's hard to see how it's an '85.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

Missed this and the advert is gone. Anyone got a pic?

Its simple to make an '85 to look like a '95 if you have all the bits and used to be done in 1993 when the facelift came out!

When you think about it, its easy to get a fake ID for a car as the VRT people haven't a clue what they are looking at. The 'elephant in the room' thread has enough evidence of that. I've seen 1982 W124's and 1976 W126's at shows and even a 1986 W140!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

those seats though...:cool: - anyone know if they would have been the original fit? They look so comfy :)

Advertisement