Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

tc20 wrote: »
    those seats though...:cool: - anyone know if they would have been the original fit? They look so comfy :)

They would be the original seats and are indeed comfortable. I would be very wary of a car that has been painted in a non original colour and I can see some items are non original or missing for example the door rubbers are missing and the door cards are not original. I have worked on many of the 1800 cars and one thing they do well is rust and repair panels are very expensive and time consuming to replace. The values of the 1800 coupes are pulling the ES values up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/lada/18562202
    These ‘80’s icons are starting to pop up a lot recently.
    As someone said around these parts already cheap, different and interesting enough.......maybe.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-200t/18561686
    I’ll stick this one here too.
    Go easy on me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-corsair-2000e/18563047

MzRjY2I5MWMwMTAwYzUyMjM4NTM2ZTY2YmI0YjA3M2R-DEDlveSeWYWMhfN7FUHCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTQ2NTQ3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1963 Ford corsair has been stored in a shed for the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Now this is a bargain @ 12000€ and I'm only posting it because I'm not in a position to buy it .includes a donor car .
    Reg alone is nearly worth the asking price .

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/fiat-130-saloon-for-sale/18565464

M2ZjYzQ3Mjk5MjExNDg2ZmYwNGQzNjM2NmFkMmM1NWLRWeOQurd7OWRYk6ugKglQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTQ4Nzk4OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Calling unkel... :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1987-mercedes-190e-2-6-auto-nct-october-2018/18562665

I'm hankering after another 190 at some stage - the vintage tax makes the 2.6 a very attractive propostion.

Best of luck with the sale! (I'm 99% this is yours)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

11wingnut wrote: »
    Insurance company: "Any modifications?"

Buyer: "Uh, I don't think so."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I had one of these. (was the V6). Just not sure i could do with another one. And not a fan of the green.
    Y2M0YmRhOGY2M2FiNTIzZmYxZTY5ZDY2MDhkYzZiMTZE4MiDG9AcAtfVOClFQnHYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NjgyNTgyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can anyone confirm how many passengers could legally ride in the rear of one of these:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/land-rover-series-3/18582335

or the LWB version like this: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/land-rover-series-3-109/18363225 (with what appears to be DIY wooden benches :P)

It seems there's 2 benches on each side, I guess you could potentially fit 3-4 on each bench, plus 2 up front meaning you could get 8+driver as a regular b license allows, but what about legality of carrying passengers in the back? Of course installing safety belts would be the right thing to do, but even without these, because there was no legal requirement for rear safety belts when it was manufactured from what I've heard, could you carry passengers, without belts, without any legal implications for driver or passenger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

cormie wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm how many passengers could legally ride in the rear of one of these:

It seems there's 2 benches on each side, I guess you could potentially fit 3-4 on each bench, plus 2 up front meaning you could get 8+driver as a regular b license allows,

Not too sure about legality, I think it would depend on the book. If it was registered as a station wagon you should be able to carry people in the back.

From experience though, you haven't a hope of getting 4 adults on either side.
    3 adults would be an awful squeeze and to be honest, 4 (2 either side) wouldn't thank you for having to do it for more than a few minutes.

I guess the LWB version would allow for 3 easy enough and possibly 4 depending how wide they are :pac:

Maybe you could put in nicer seats with a bit of built in suspension in the seats themselves, 4 of these on each side:

l-seatpost.jpg

:pac:

So I'd need to be looking at what is written in the book to be ok on the legal side? What else could a landrover be down as that would mean I can't carry passengers in the back?

I guess the LWB version would allow for 3 easy enough and possibly 4 depending how wide they are :pac:

Well.....yes....no....maybe....

A lwb (109 SW (inches wheelbase) would have an extra set of doors with an extra row of seats and then (perhaps) seats in the back. Like this one :

5284004.jpg

if it's one of these $_86.JPG

with seats in the back it's definitely (probably) not a stationwagon which means you're (probably) not allowed people in the back.

Stationwagons (with 5 doors) will always be more expensive than anything else.

But the problem is that different insurance companies have different rules, and with the age of these things there could be any number of different things on the logbook. I had one that just had 'leyland' on the book :confused:

Add to that the fact it's possible that if you get one with 3 seats in the front (they all did from factory), another 3 in the second row and then another 4 (2 either side) in the back....you now have 3+3+4 = 10 seats and you're into PSV license and insurance territory.

It's a mindfield (or mind**** if you want) really.

What is it you're looking to do with it?

Oh wow, thanks a lot for all that info, I wasn't aware of that. So once you drive something with over 9 seats, you need a license/insurance to match that and it's not just a case of ensuring you never go over 9 bodies, even though the seats are there?

I'm looking for a storage shed on wheels that can also be used for the odd road trip. Pre 1980!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I think all passenger seats have to be forward facing for insurance purposes, which would be a problem for some landrovers

Oh wow, thanks a lot for all that info, I wasn't aware of that. So once you drive something with over 9 seats, you need a license/insurance to match that and it's not just a case of ensuring you never go over 9 bodies, even though the seats are there?

I'm looking for a storage shed on wheels that can also be used for the odd road trip. Pre 1980!

I think it (again) depends on what's in the book and the insurance company. I've certainly heard of people being caught out with insurance on defenders where they ran into trouble because in theory it could take 12 people.

Realistically you'll probably be fine most of the time if you're not looking to transport (officially) that many people.

Having said all of that, these things aren't example motorway mile munchers and very much an acquired taste if you're looking at roadtrips over any great length.

You might be better looking for an early defender (not easy or cheap come by) or (my personal favourite :

3-23-1-940x538.jpg

best advice I can give you is go drive one (if you haven't already) and see what you make of it.

it's all down to taste and what you can live with really

I think all passenger seats have to be forward facing for insurance purposes, which would be a problem for some landrovers

I think it depends on age etc.

but even then they can be fitted/upgraded with forward facing seats if needs be.
    They're not cheap but they're there.

I guess it depends on who or what you intend to carry how often.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

SWB was designed as a 7 seater - 3 up front, 2 on each side in the back = 7

LWB was designed as a 12 seater - 3 up front, 3 in rear bench, 3 on each side in the back = 12

You@ll need to comply with what the log book says and then have a chat with the insurance company. You will also need a licence to cover the 12 passengers if the Landie is registered to carry them, even if you're on your own.

I had a LWB Landie and had the log book changed from 12 to 6 to make things easier for myself. This was in Germany about 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

Thanks a lot everyone. Ah, so I can just change the log book to state it can only take 8+1? That might be the easiest option then!

Is it pretty much the same thing with campers vans then if I was to look for a pre 1980 camper, with the purpose of it being a mobile liveable shed on wheels to transport 9 people? Just depends how many the log book states it has seats for but because of the year, there doesn't necessarily have to be that many seat belts etc legally (putting safety aside).

• Advertisement

Very nice. Converted it to Auto. Dont think the swb ever came in automatic.

YjI5NGM2NWUxY2I2ZDk5MTlkNTUwYzk4ODFmZjM2MTcabo-vwPUY3G9h6NTXqTCxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTY2NTIyMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

80sDiesel wrote: »

They were as LHD, the Swiss army had loads of them for starters, technically they were badged as a Steyr-Puch.

That one is decently priced if it checks out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

80sDiesel wrote: »

SWB petrols came in auto, nearly bought a 230 a few years ago. Lovely met green swb 7 seater (2 side facing seats in boot). Was a bit too crusty round the body unfortunately !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I’ve seen that re G-Wagon in person, it’s lovely. I’d love it. I love everything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That G-Wagon has a sofa for rear seats.

I’ve seen that re G-Wagon in person, it’s lovely. I’d love it. I love everything about it!

It sure looks to be a well sorted! Must have been s bit of coin invested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1982-mercedes-240d-diesel/18593534

Looks very nice. I'd like this.
    The 240 is a nippy little diesel, for the year.

Advertisement