Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I don't think the engine bay looks too bad, most of the rust seems to be I the battery tray which is difficult to keep from rotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Actually, looking at it the overspray on the servo would bother me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I don't think the engine bay looks too bad, most of the rust seems to be I the battery tray which is difficult to keep from rotting.

I've had that problem with various classics and I've found the best permanent solution, once all the rust is cleared, primed and painted, is to paint the battery tray with Schultz or similar underbody coating - it's worked long term on any classic I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Agreed until i saw the rear plate.

What's wrong with the rear plate (in comparison to the front plate)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jeez, you lads are picky. Wrong blue paint, a hint of brown in the engine bay, and incorrect rear plates!

You're like those stroll-past critics at shows getting a slagging in the other thread. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

Dades wrote: »
    Jeez, you lads are picky. Wrong blue paint, a hint of brown in the engine bay, and incorrect rear plates!

You're like those stroll-past critics at shows getting a slagging in the other thread. :p
    Not being picky. Just discussing. You're the one being picky. If you don't like it, there's no need to read it. I find it very interesting and enjoy reading it.

Just making an observation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Silvera wrote: »
    Agreed until i saw the rear plate.

What's wrong with the rear plate (in comparison to the front plate)?
    Never would have had year plate in Red. Would have looked much better to have gone for a ZV plate if he wanted the rear in red.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Never would have had year plate in Red. Would have looked much better to have gone for a ZV plate if he wanted the rear in red.

As a self-declared 'number plate anorak' even I wouldn't criticise someone for that. Technically, you are correct. But the plate style/type is 'period correct'. I've previously had red plates made up for 'Year' Registrations on my classics.

Sure technically, if we want to nit pick, 7-digit ZV plates wouldn't be "correct" on it either.

Silvera wrote: »
    As a self-declared 'number plate anorak' even I wouldn't criticise someone for that. Technically, you are correct. But the plate style/type is 'period correct'. I've previously had red plates made up for 'Year' Registrations on my classics.

Sure technically, if we want to nit pick, 7-digit ZV plates wouldn't be "correct" on it either.

For sure ZV is not 'correct' but it is the closest you can get to period 'correct'.
    But in my opinion, it would look much better with ZV in red ( and period correct font) than Year in Red in period correct font.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

Even with the crazy long ZV numbers they're handing out now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/18686988
    Lots of work involved here for 4K, but rare enough car now

kadman wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/18686988
    Lots of work involved here for 4K, but rare enough car now

Nice car for someone handy with a welder and bodywork, and the patience of a saint.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Nice car for someone handy with a welder and bodywork, and the patience of a saint.

Or extremely deep pockets, full of cash:D

And it would have to be a keeper, as they dont sell well for some strange reason
    even when restored.

Or extremely deep pockets, full of cash:D

And it would have to be a keeper, as they dont sell well for some strange reason
    even when restored.

They hover in that strange place between being ugly enough to make you think twice about it, but not ugly enough to make it interesting. If I was going to put myself through the torture of doing that much bodywork (again!) I'd only do it for a car that I really, really wanted, and that one wouldn't be it.

They hover in that strange place between being ugly enough to make you think twice about it, but not ugly enough to make it interesting. If I was going to put myself through the torture of doing that much bodywork (again!) I'd only do it for a car that I really, really wanted, and that one wouldn't be it.

:eek: Somebody stop the bad man calling the vw ugly:D:D

You either love em or hate em. I,d take it, but nowhere near the asking. I,ve seen it up close and personal, and there is a lot of work involved.

:eek: Somebody stop the bad man calling the vw ugly:D:D

You either love em or hate em. I,d take it, but nowhere near the asking. I,ve seen it up close and personal, and there is a lot of work involved.

I'm actually a fan of old VW's (and even new VAG's!) but I think that is not one of their finer moments!
    Interesting to hear someone that's seen it in the flesh - I'm guessing it is very flaky underneath?

I'm actually a fan of old VW's (and even new VAG's!) but I think that is not one of their finer moments!
    Interesting to hear someone that's seen it in the flesh - I'm guessing it is very flaky underneath?

I,ve seen worse which means the repairs were bigger in size, but the same location. So either way to do it right, its a body off job.

And the type 3's tend to make normal bug owners run for cover. Probably because of the scarcity of panels. And the expense if you are lucky enough to find them

I,ve seen worse which means the repairs were bigger in size, but the same location. So either way to do it right, its a body off job.

And the type 3's tend to make normal bug owners run for cover. Probably because of the scarcity of panels. And the expense if you are lucky enough to find them

Was thinking that - if you were inclined to slave away on an old VW, you'd be more inclined to do it on a Beetle or T2 which at least would have good backup and parts availability (even if some of the panels are a crazy price).

Was thinking that - if you were inclined to slave away on an old VW, you'd be more inclined to do it on a Beetle or T2 which at least would have good backup and parts availability (even if some of the panels are a crazy price).

True enough from a financial point of view. But the country is full of old type 1 and 2's.

Now the type 3 is a far superior animal:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

oceanman wrote: »

That looks like a stunner. Pity about the radio, but if that's all that's wrong with it you wouldn't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Seems like a good price for a '116 if you can live with the left hand drive

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-280se-1979-lhd/18635927

NTc5MTAxY2I1ODE3ZjViYjQzZThiZjcxN2VjYWY4YjbAy-5wsKXvdgoQPK3AZ9ZYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDAwNjIwNDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

79 280se €4500

That's a lovely looking thing, alright.

Mmmm. Blue velour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Alternative to the W116 above?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-100-cc-1983-new-nct-practical-classics-owned/18700586

MTExMDVjNzY0ZjlmNDZhNjUwZTkxYzY4ZjlmNTM5ZDdID1CaKJnupAuBlNwfMiYBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA1NzgyODF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

5 cylinder, good history, fresh NCT, €3300

Alternative to the W116 above?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-100-cc-1983-new-nct-practical-classics-owned/18700586

MTExMDVjNzY0ZjlmNDZhNjUwZTkxYzY4ZjlmNTM5ZDdID1CaKJnupAuBlNwfMiYBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDA1NzgyODF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

5 cylinder, good history, fresh NCT, €3300

Now that is one that would interest me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great find, auto too, but the 1982 C3 looks very dated compared to say the 1979 W126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

The merc looks classic. The audi looks old.
    Tis in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

flatty wrote: »
    The merc looks classic. The audi looks old.
    Tis in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I'd choose the Audi for the rarity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement