Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Just noticed on the ad, he is flagged up as a private seller, but has 5 cars for sale.
    That surely makes him a trader?? I did not think that was allowable on DD?

kadman wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-240-diesel-1982-cheap-tax-and-insurance/18766317

My picture posting skiills have drawn a complete blank this morning, pity as its a beautiful car. I could be tempted if I was familiar with the mercs.
    What do the experts think of this a s an entry choice into the marque.
    Oops...some success.
    450556.jpeg

Just contacted the seller for NCT details.
    He says it has none, and next year does not need one.

Should I run forrest.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Just contacted the seller for NCT details.
    He says it has none, and next year does not need one.

Should I run forrest.:D

It most certainly does need one next year, and the year after that, and the year after that..

It most certainly does need one next year, and the year after that, and the year after that..

Sure does. This lying BS to sell a car really gets my goat...If I had got an honest answer I would have considered further investigation....

But I ,m still running , can i stop now:D

I just had a quick look on DoneDeal and it seems a good W123 is not the easiest thing to find. So many are years without an NCT and just plain ropey looking.

This looks nice for four grand, petrol & NCT'd till next year

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-123-1984/18582436

MTZlYjgzZDQxODcxNTc2NTc1ZjZlMzVmYjc5NDZiMzQxllD04aKK353gJ7tAM7QNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185OTY0MzY5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

Lovely looking car.

Educate me please on the engines fitted to these models.

Seems reasonable price wise, is this a fair example of what you would expect to pay

for these models in this type of condition. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

From may can get a 2 yr NCT. By ,2022 won't need any.

https://www.irishvintagescene.ie/new-nct-legislation/

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »

Yes, you’re right. I keep forgetting about that

Lovely looking car.

Seems reasonable price wise, is this a fair example of what you would expect to pay

I don’t know a lot about these Mercs, but what I’ve picked up;

The 250 petrol isn’t a great option

The diesels are *slow*

The 200 petrol is in my opinion probably the best all-rounder at this end of the budget.

Sure does. This lying BS to sell a car really gets my goat...If I had got an honest answer I would have considered further investigation....

But I ,m still running , can i stop now:D

Some folks just don't know so I wouldn't put that off you. Certainly a NCT would be highly sought after.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

Some folks just don't know so I wouldn't put that off you. Certainly a NCT would be highly sought after.

He knows alright, it appears he is a trader. He maintains it has none at the moment, and does not need one at all next year.

Sounds like BS to me, or he would have answered he does not know. If you dont know, be honest and say so. Question is then answered

Lovely looking car.

If I were u and wanting a merc I would be looking at a diesel w124 model. Having had a 73 merc and a 94 I would go for a w124 again.

He knows alright, it appears he is a trader. He maintains it has none at the moment, and does not need one at all next year.

Sounds like BS to me, or he would have answered he does not know. If you dont know, be honest and say so. Question is then answered
    Try to buy from a private seller who loves his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

W123 engines ....

2.0 L M115 V20 I4
    2.0 L M102 V20 I4
    2.3 L M115 V23 I4
    2.3 L M102 E23 I4
    2.5 L M123 I6
    2.8 L M110 I6
    2.0 L OM615 D20 diesel I4
    2.2 L OM615 D22 diesel I4
    2.4 L OM616 diesel I4
    3.0 L OM617 diesel I5
    3.0 L OM617 A td I5

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you pass it, you'll get a two-year one. Given this one has never had one absolutely anything could go wrong. Most of the stuff I've had to deal with to pass the NCT I could have lived with easily if I didn't bother with the test.

I firmly believe if a car doesn't have an NCT it's because the owner knows it won't pass one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I don’t know a lot about these Mercs, but what I’ve
    The 250 petrol isn’t a great option

What's wrong with them, ditto the 2.8 six petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

What's wrong with them, ditto the 2.8 six petrol?
    It has no more main crankshaft bearings than the boxer engine in my Volkswagen and less than many other four cylinder engines.

Not much wrong with the 2.8 M110. Powerful, reliable and durable with twin camshaft head. Smooth, especially if equipped with fuel injection system. Not the most economical obviously. But if you are looking for economy, the Diesels would be great or alternatively the M102 2.3.

Cheers Seweryn.

The 2.5 is a six too, yes? Single cam?

What is the actual effect of the number of bearings, reliability issues? Vibration?

I also read the 2.8 can sound tappitity (sp) even from new, back in the day, any thoughts on that?

Oh and yes just looking for petrol. Would it go below 15mgp city driving?

The 2.5 is a six too, yes? Single cam?

What is the actual effect of the number of bearings, reliability issues? Vibration?
    Inline six, single cam. It is not terribly bad, just slightly under-engineered let's say. No major vibration or reliability issues but a less happy revving, heavier and not much more powerful than the M102 while being equipped with a carburetor and having similar fuel consumption to the M110.
    I also read the 2.8 can sound tappitity (sp) even from new, back in the day, any thoughts on that?
    Yes, it sounds tappety, but you only notice this when you open the bonnet and looking for the noise. It has manually adjustable valve gaps, which should be adjusted regularly during service intervals.

Thanks again,

Sounds like you know your stuff!

If I every get past window shopping looks like I'll have to dust off my feeler gauge! Brings me back!

You make have been replying while I made an edit, I asked if the M110 would dip below 15 MPG in the city?

Assuming petrol only, is there a big difference refinement wise between the 4 and 6 pots in the W123 and W201s?

Sorry mods about going OT last I promise.

• Advertisement

If I every get past window shopping looks like I'll have to dust off my feeler gauge! Brings me back!
    Not a big deal, I was just at it a couple of hours ago with my car, a long time since I used the feeler gauge. Only one valve needed a tiny correction.
    You make have been replying while I made an edit, I asked if the M110 would dip below 15 MPG in the city?
    It depends which city you have in mind, but generally no, that would be the bottom line for this engine, i.e. 15-25 mpg (28 - 30 at a push).
    Assuming petrol only, is there a big difference refinement wise between the 4 and 6 pots in the W123 and W201s?
    In the W201 you can have the M103 engine (6-cylinder version of the M102), which is more refined than all other engines discussed above, so yes. But generally the M102 are very good motors and smooth enough, yet quite economical if you do not like Diesels.

Thanks again for you help, I'll take note of your comments.

City is Dublin, I'm be happy with that MPG in a big 35 ish year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e250-diesel/18779730

Could be worth storing maybe, something to work on and get on road when the tax is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

It would be cheaper to throw a couple of grand at a clean one with an NCT. By the time you've repaired all the rust (probably a lot worse than what you see), get it technically soreted (why no NCT?) and get new seats (no way they will fully clean), you'll have a good one in from the UK.

I agree that they are a good classic, prices starting to get strong for good ones. You can get the convertible version in very good condition for under €10,000. They will be worth a good bit more than that in 5 years.

The Coupe as always is a safe, non depreciating bet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/trooper/18781669

€1450

Maybe not a bargain, but I do like the look of it.

MjMyYWU0YjA1YTQ0ZTQyMDVlNzZmMTUwNWI4MjlhMjIaByQzqFOWJ_hr7_vqd6ptaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDEyMTI2NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e250-diesel/18779730

Could be worth storing maybe, something to work on and get on road when the tax is cheap.

"Lots of extras"

I think the seller means lots of cheap tat added. Even the badge is butchered!!

I might go and look at this. Might be worth €500

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are old brown tax books any good, even if you have no car for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Are old brown tax books any good, even if you have no car for it.
    sure are, people collect them. I have over 30 myself

Advertisement