Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

This is a bargain in comparison..

Opel Monza in Wexford

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1002489?dt=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Whatever about the capri but I seriously cannot understand why someone would pay almost 30k on an abomination like this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/beauford/19109481

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Whatever about the capri but I seriously cannot understand why someone would pay almost 30k on an abomination like this?

What are you referring to?
    The Capri is 6500 and the Monza is 3495 ?

Silvera wrote: »
    What are you referring to?
    The Capri is 6500 and the Monza is 3495 ?

Sorry ment to incorporate a link to a beauford.
    Link there now but doesn't appear to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Silvera wrote: »
    This is a bargain in comparison..

Opel Monza in Wexford

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1002489?dt=1

That's a Boardsies car. Posts here often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A40 for €300

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-a40/19123281

I just love the pop riveted "repair panel" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

elperello wrote: »
    A40 for €300

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-a40/19123281

I just love the pop riveted "repair panel" :)

Cheap, even for a garden ornament!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Whoever buys that will be doing so with a view to using it as a wedding car - i.e. as a business asset rather than classic ownership.
    Might not be quite as reliable as the Beaufort and not a lot of room for the bride and groom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The year is 1987 so what exactly is this?

• Advertisement

The year is 1987 so what exactly is this?

Its most likely based on a ford Sierra.

Dades wrote: »
    Whoever buys that will be doing so with a view to using it as a wedding car - i.e. as a business asset rather than classic ownership.

Might not be quite as reliable as the Beaufort and not a lot of room for the bride and groom. :)

Funnily enough I spotted a ford model A wedding car broken down with a rather concerned looking bride standing beside it at the weekend but I still wouldnt get my wife brought to the church in a beauford.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't want to put a damper on this thread. I don't want to be negative, but what's the point in posting up all these cars here that need an NCT but don't have one? And in 99% of cases haven't had a valid test in a long time and will not pass a test? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

unkel wrote: »
    I don't want to put a damper on this thread. I don't want to be negative, but what's the point in posting up all these cars here that need an NCT but don't have one? And in 99% of cases haven't had a valid test in a long time and will not pass a test? :(

"This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know Kenny, but isn't this thread meant to be a heads-up about decent and interesting and good value classics spotted by people who aren't going to buy the cars themselves? If you are thinking of buying a car you spotted yourself, you are hardly going to make it public.

Every time I open this thread I hope to see genuinely interesting cars, that might tempt me to buy them. Instead I see wreck after wreck that will never be road legal in Ireland. And don't get me wrong, I am far from being a perfectionist. Never mind a few dents, scrapes, patina, ripped interior, a few bits that aren't working, some "character", etc. But a car needs to be road legal to be used on the road. If it is unlikely to be ever put back on the road for reasonable money, why post about it here? In that case it is most certainly not a bargain in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GavFitz

unkel wrote: »
    I know Kenny, but isn't this thread meant to be a heads-up about decent and interesting and good value classics spotted by people who aren't going to buy the cars themselves? If you are thinking of buying a car you spotted yourself, you are hardly going to make it public.

Every time I open this thread I hope to see genuinely interesting cars, that might tempt me to buy them. Instead I see wreck after wreck that will never be road legal in Ireland. And don't get me wrong, I am far from being a perfectionist. Never mind a few dents, scrapes, patina, ripped interior, a few bits that aren't working, some "character", etc. But a car needs to be road legal to be used on the road. If it is unlikely to be ever put back on the road for reasonable money, why post about it here? In that case it is most certainly not a bargain in my book.

You just put a dampner on this thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Some of the real bargains are the ones with no test and need work.
    The trick of course is to know how much time/money will need to be spent weighted against the purchase price and what it would be worth when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hi5 wrote: »
    Some of the real bargains are the ones with no test and need work.
    The trick of course is to know how much time/money will need to be spent weighted against the purchase price and what it would be worth when finished.

That's my thinking as well.

In my head I have a couple alternate names for this thread......

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I can't afford but someone else might

or

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I wouldn't touch with a 40 foot pole and probably nobody else will either.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

MOD: Don't be a dick

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Maybe we could rename this thread "The DoneDeal Thread" or "Today I saw a classic for sale" (see here)

If we limit posts here to cars with valid NCT and tax etc it will become very quiet, in already very quiet forum. We have a very small number of regular posters on here so I don't see the harm really.

I tend to post anything that I think is interesting and will either appeal to a particular poster or will just make for an interesting discussion.

On that note..

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/morris-minor-pickup/19141664

MzEzZTFlMDE5NWQ2YjJlN2NhMDBhMmRjMGNkNGZjNjTveBU85WzbBbeB0VG-m-3iaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDQxMzAxMDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If we limit posts here to cars with valid NCT and tax etc it will become very quiet, in already very quiet forum.
    Ain't that the truth. This thread is busy with people as happy to dismantle a car as drool over it (we're all guilty!)

Just rename to

"This weeks classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-528i-e28-1982/19123322

NzJlZGEwN2E5NGRhY2YxMTU4ZjA4ZjMzNGY1OGEwYTOrnnyTTu-yPPbRF7bQJDnBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDQwMDYzOTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Could be nice with a bit of care and attention

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I know more classic cars with no NCT, than those with NCT,
    and i own classics with no NCT.

And mine would do the pepsi challenge with any nct'car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

kadman wrote: »
    I know more classic cars with no NCT, than those with NCT,
    and i own classics with no NCT.

And mine would do the pepsi challenge with any nct'car

Genuine question, why not get it NCTed then, just 55 for 2 years now?

I'm asking to try understand why so few classics don't have one, what is the reason (other than failure)?

Genuine question, why not get it NCTed then, just 55 for 2 years now?

I'm asking to try understand why so few classics don't have one, what is the reason (other than failure)?

Test them for who. I do all my own mechanics, engine rebuilds and body repairs, and have done for years. So I know they are in good mechanical shape.

And i,ve tested family daily drivers that I knew had issues, but wanted to get a full list of what was needed. They passed. One with a exhaust silencer box split down the middle on the top, and another with a leaking master cylinder.

Nct'd car is no 100% guarantee of a roadworthy safe vehicle.

But the one thing that puts me off testing classics is the old NCT smoke and mirror trick.......the visual fail refusal, at times it stoops to stupid levels.

Like,
    Fail for running ink on a reg plate,
    Fail for suspected gasket failure on a petrol cap,
    Fail for a suspension bush, that was only fitted 2 weeks before,

We have all had them no doubt.

Thats why I dont give them the opportunity to fleece me , unless I have to. And at the moment I dont have to test them.

Thanks kadman. I just released I was assuming all your cars were post 1980 so you may not need an NCT. For me, not having access to a lift etc, an NCT would give me *some* peace of mind. And in any case, while ringing around for insurance quotes I've benn asked if the car is NCTed (I'd be looking at 80's cars)

Thanks kadman. I just released I was assuming all your cars were post 1980 so you may not need an NCT. For me, not having access to a lift etc, an NCT would give me *some* peace of mind. And in any case, while ringing around for insurance quotes I've benn asked if the car is NCTed (I'd be looking at 80's cars)[/QUOT

Gotcha,
    The family cars are post 1980 that I do prepare for the NCT, but any i drive bar 1, are all vintage, 76,72 and an 87, all vw,s

Granted when your access to lifts ect is not there, then an NCT does give some reassurance , if its read correctly you can get a lot more information on the vehicles state of well being, than just a disc on the window.

kadman wrote: »
    if its read correctly you can get a lot more information on the vehicles state of well being, than just a disc on the window.

Totally agree, I view it as E55 being a bargin to to see your slip angles, brake imbalance etc. the disk is just for the gards :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement