Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

They never were centred.

I get it all the time with the 5 series, 'oi id get that exhaust centred if it were mine' and similar. Unreal how quick people are to negative comment. Im sure some people just go to classic shows to pick flaws...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

^^^ This...
    Always lads going around telling you what's wrong with yokes, had it several times myself, despite everything being as per factory, all backed up with painstaking research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

This is mine:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1024772

0UiK1359dT0HcXs8BwyOcNpFctJVgOvykdnddKujXUzCIQiYx55er6FGebI49Pb8BA576yY6EwrmlnMIHGJxgPAA3lVIigrcdxOoDaD4o_gmwdUYlo954sr_0xxxvZUgrn4DQQrKqKUeCIDRCT2W40EGBGIgPInAO7OnDhowocxBR8tMTutaitxw-f0zh912KHV4jNYUa1pZkbHmXYMV37SNVSGg67sn-UV7ipmg3WGQ622Gq6UBZ2URE0ivRLmVIZwa2SUILPuyjof7Ui4VtPqzhJER_sqBZUR3Wrk2xYdBIr-2Sf3AYct3OySZSEDcbuGOKg3dMHF3b4a56EwhW3Fqnv9q27M3h7A5sXgEqlqgFIfHv7r4IsDnghMYiSYKwU1kTjSSAAP2GPHd-0meXP-jFHWNna2gnlFZBGPhHVsfhSekQaO8iBr6zF-ykNGE78Af7xQsmjrLBPufIh0euEtZTSA6cgCpjq0mrAD5L-LZa-xuRO9WHi5bcpCVijc1TZLwYRJOPmHp3eH_KWxsfjXHEtwA-I4d2VyarGUjM7yUAFJchkM9eVKhbTvQN0LVjELiMDdJwfkgpCEicGLipZXPXEU-X1noZkzx8KQiZtUAwbPCjg=w600-h323-no

1984 Mercedes 190E, 46k miles, 2 owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I wouldn't call it a bargain, but it's an interesting car regardless.

But I don't get the €120 (Electrical) motor tax. It's a petrol car and over 30 years old, so the motor tax should be only €50, right?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/delorean/dmc-12/used-1981-delorean-dmc-12-kildare-fpa-201807248762983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sabre Man wrote: »

But I don't get the €120 (Electrical) motor tax. It's a petrol car and over 30 years old, so the motor tax should be only €50, right?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/delorean/dmc-12/used-1981-delorean-dmc-12-kildare-fpa-201807248762983

Flux Capacitor tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...it's a joke, it is €56 p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

supervento wrote: »
    nice but well overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

oceanman wrote: »
    nice but well overpriced.

ya pricing on these seem to vary greatly but if its " mint" i wouldn't of thought it was over priced but like that i wouldn't be very knowledgeable on the price of these. i know poor examples in a less desirable color combination are available a lot cheaper. i think its the color and its appearance that caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sabre Man wrote: »

At least its not destroyed with a "flux capacitor" !

I know I am probably alone in this but, these had all the hallmarks of the ultimate classic car (incredible looks, crappy engine, fantastic back story) - but to my mind their fame from the movie has destroyed any desirability they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is utterly utterly gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi anyone on here living near Drogheda i am interested in buying a merc for sale there its on adverts . I live in limerick & before i make the journey i would like to know its not a rust bucket. Getting there is enough of a problem as the airport seem as far as the bus goes can you get another bus from there our country as small as it is you still need a car to get to where you want thanks.
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/mercedes-benz/e-class/mercedes-benz-e-class1994/15736377

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Don't like the look at that front arch

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Don't like the look at that front arch
    Yes I can see that might only be surface rust if rest of car is ok I would make the trip. He is not showing passenger side of car & good interior pics .If I make the trip & decide not to buy I will be stuck with no way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

homingbird wrote: »
    Yes I can see that might only be surface rust if rest of car is ok I would make the trip.

Save yourself the trip. There is no such thing as surface rust on a facelift W124. Those chrome arches will be hiding rot and the rear arches are a pain in the ar5e to do. Also I can guarantee the rear subframe mounts are on their way as well. You need more pics of the car before you even consider a trip up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

Once rust is in those, it's best to steer clear Imo. It was described by an expert to me as "like cancer" in those.

w124man wrote: »
    Save yourself the trip. There is no such thing as surface rust on a facelift W124. Those chrome arches will be hiding rot and the rear arches are a pain in the ar5e to do. Also I can guarantee the rear subframe mounts are on their way as well. You need more pics of the car before you even consider a trip up!

I wouldn't suspension work if the shell is clean it would be worth it. So if someone on here would take a look and let me know is it worth it

I am currently restoring a BMW E34 using a doner car has rust all over it & my one turns 30 next year & is only a 2 owner car never restored & it close to show room standard. That is what gives me some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it was me I'd leave that one but I'd never travel that distance just to look at a car. I'd go prepared to buy and a means to bring it home if it was good enough.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    If it was me I'd leave that one but I'd never travel that distance just to look at a car. I'd go prepared to buy and a means to bring it home if it was good enough.

Ok ye have done enough to put me off it. If it was anyway good he would be asking double what he is asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

kaizersoze wrote: »

If you arrive at his door with a car transporter in tow from the other side of the country you can kiss goodbye any chance of bargaining off a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kev1.3s wrote: »
    If you arrive at his door with a car transporter in tow from the other side of the country you can kiss goodbye any chance of bargaining off a few quid.

The opposite I find but the transporter could be left somewhere close by. Doesn't make sense to travel a couple of hundred miles to look at a car, possibly decide to buy, drive home without it then drive a couple of hundred miles again to collect.

If the shell was rust free bar cosmetic i would buy IT just not willing to travel if its not worth it.

He has just dropped the price to 400 euro from 1250 so it looks like its a parts car for someone now .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jimjom

The comments here are laughable and ridiculous and are the reason these speculation threads are full of know it alls commenting from their very narrow and limited lives. Hopefully that doesn't irritate too many of the online simpletons!

That W124 was my old car. I think I sold it to him 2 maybe 3 years ago. He seemed like a nice fella.
    I previously bought it near Naas.
    It was family owned car and incredibly original with a very rare blue leather interior, which it still has.
    It was mechanically very, very good when I sold it. By the looks of it has done a few thousand miles since.
    When I sold it the rust was marginal, a couple of spots really. I would say that it has cosmetically deteriorated quite a bit over the last 2/3 years probably from just being left outside. He must have fitted the knacker brows himself which are terrible.
    It had no structural issues either.
    At the price he wants its well worth the money.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jimjom wrote: »

Thanks for the update jimjom about your previous car. It had marginal rust but no structural issues 3 years ago. But a lot of time has passed since then. What's the reg of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jimjom

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for the update jimjom about your previous car. It had marginal rust but no structural issues 3 years ago. But a lot of time has passed since then. What's the reg of the car?

If the owner hasn't displayed it I'm not going to but I'll pm it to you.

EDIT: I have a photo from when I sold it but not sure how to upload here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

jimjom wrote: »
    The comments here are laughable and ridiculous and are the reason these speculation threads are full of know it alls commenting from their very narrow and limited lives. Hopefully that doesn't irritate too many of the online simpletons!

That W124 was my old car. I think I sold it to him 2 maybe 3 years ago. He seemed like a nice fella.
    I previously bought it near Naas.
    It was family owned car and incredibly original with a very rare blue leather interior, which it still has.
    It was mechanically very, very good when I sold it. By the looks of it has done a few thousand miles since.
    When I sold it the rust was marginal, a couple of spots really. I would say that it has cosmetically deteriorated quite a bit over the last 2/3 years probably from just being left outside. He must have fitted the knacker brows himself which are terrible.
    At the price he wants its well worth the money.

Hope that helps.
    So. It was rusty three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

flatty wrote: »
    So. It was rusty three years ago.

in fairness, many's a 20+ y/o car is going to have the odd spot of tinworm..

and to get back to cars..
    the Triumph wouldn't be my thing, but if a nice wooden interior gives you wood..Irish car, asking €2,750
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1976-triumph-toledo/19034798

Advertisement