Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

supervento wrote: »

Jesus, I’m tempted... step away from the mouse.. My Mrs would kill me if I came home with another Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-300e-w124/19668320

I was going to offer him €3000 and get him to VRT it!

w124man wrote: »

€200 if you have a garage for 4 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oil pressure a bit low on tickover?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Esel wrote: »
    Yes, but still well within the limits.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yes, but still well within the limits.

Are the tickover revs a little low? That might explain the lower pressure.

Not your ornery onager

Are the tickover revs a little low? That might explain the lower pressure.
    The idle speed looks fine and more/less where it should be for this engine.
    The oil pressure is still 3 times higher than the low end set by the factory. I wouldn't worry about it unless this was the value on a cold engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Bus Boy wrote: »

I think you mean 12 months. It’s an august 1989 car.

(Sorry to correct you)

• Advertisement

supervento wrote: »
    I think you mean 12 months. It’s an august 1989 car.

(Sorry to correct you)

Yes your right supervento, I stand corrected :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

No. The oil pressure on the M103 engine will drop to 1 bar (ish) at tickover particularly at that temperature. The viscous cooling fan should kick in about 95 degrees. The pressure should build back up very quickly at about 1300 rpm. Great engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vauxhall-royale/19674484

ZTZiM2VmNGEyNTc0OWIyZjAxY2JmMDQxZmYwNmEzOTnvN-NOEfQxLgBOEDrrsjpiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDc5NTgwMDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This could be a promising Winter project. €1250

Cache of parts with it too apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bus Boy wrote: »

That's not the way it works. The date you bring the car into the country counts. The inspector will want an invoice (that in fairness you could fabricate yourself) but they also want your ferry ticket.

And an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. The oil pressure on the M103 engine will drop to 1 bar (ish) at tickover particularly at that temperature. The viscous cooling fan should kick in about 95 degrees. The pressure should build back up very quickly at about 1300 rpm. Great engines.

Thanks for sharing! My car does this as well. Now I know why :)

unkel wrote: »
    ...an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

It's a 3 litre though :), so ++€ for tax...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

unkel wrote: »
    That's not the way it works. The date you bring the car into the country counts. The inspector will want an invoice (that in fairness you could fabricate yourself) but they also want your ferry ticket.

And an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

Or park it up until August next year, then a road trip to NI, ferry to Scotland and back via Holyhead. Fit in the Highlands, Borders, Lake District and North Wales. Or do West Scotland and the Hebridies and back by the Ballycastle ferry, and Bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Maybe a silly questions but why is a ferry ticket needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

to prove it came into the Republic on a date.

I bought a car up north in march and all I needed was a handwritten receipt (which anyone could have made up) Different from the mainland is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vauxhall-royale/19674484

ZTZiM2VmNGEyNTc0OWIyZjAxY2JmMDQxZmYwNmEzOTnvN-NOEfQxLgBOEDrrsjpiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDc5NTgwMDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This could be a promising Winter project. €1250

Cache of parts with it too apparently

Parked on the main street in Castledermot most of the time but driven regularly, it's not a bad car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Not bad indeed, heres a (terrible) photo of the other side from 2014

14792785689_6c948c1ec2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

I bought a car up north in march and all I needed was a handwritten receipt (which anyone could have made up) Different from the mainland is it ?

"The mainland" ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

KevRossi wrote: »
    Or park it up until August next year, then a road trip to NI, ferry to Scotland and back via Holyhead. Fit in the Highlands, Borders, Lake District and North Wales. Or do West Scotland and the Hebridies and back by the Ballycastle ferry, and Bob's your uncle.

Would Brexit and or getting pulled over by the British cops for no Tax/MOT not be potential banana skins for that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kja1888 wrote: »
    "The mainland" ffs

Well, he was speaking about Northern Ireland, and was wondering if there is a different requirement if the car was coming from [ the mainland ] UK ( thus requiring a ferry, so a ticket might be apt in that scenario).

Is that the 'ffs' or is it for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Well, he was speaking about Northern Ireland, and was wondering if there is a different requirement if the car was coming from [ the mainland ] UK ( thus requiring a ferry, so a ticket might be apt in that scenario).

Is that the 'ffs' or is it for something else?

He was on about the difference importing a car from GB to RoI as opposed to from NI into RoI. GB is not our "mainland". If he was on about bringing a car into NI from GB then there's no issue as you don't actually import them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kja1888 wrote: »
    He was on about the difference importing a car from GB to RoI as opposed to from NI into RoI. GB is not our "mainland". If he was on about bringing a car into NI from GB then there's no issue as you don't actually import them.

You have the wrong end of the stick, but you seem happy enough to hold on to it so I'll let you be.

I meant mainland UK, i.e England, Scotland, Wales and not their islands nor NI. Think of it as a UK company providing free mainland postage if you will. I'm only asking why you need a ferry ticket from England, Scotland, Wales (mainland), when you can just hand write a receipt from NI (not mainland UK).

A post-it receipt was sufficient for revenue from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I guessing if the car is registered anywhere outside Northern Ireland then they would want some proof of entry onto the island of Ireland.

NI reg'd cars I am sure are treated differently.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I guessing if the car is registered anywhere outside Northern Ireland then they would want some proof of entry onto the island of Ireland.

Yes, unless you have bought the car from the previous owner while he was visiting his family in Ireland / was on holidays. Then they may want to chase the previous owner for the ferry ticket :pac:.

Advertisement