Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I think k he converted an 8 series using Tesla running gear didn’t he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Half the pleasure of "classic" is to pick up a purring straight six or roaring v8 for a modest sum

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

Half the pleasure of "classic" is to pick up a purring straight six or roaring v8 for a modest sum

Or a V12😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

He does a €1000 BMW conversion too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

To me an electric classic is the exact opposite of why I love classics. If you want an electric car, buy a bloody Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Gravelly wrote: »
    To me an electric classic is the exact opposite of why I love classics. If you want an electric car, buy a bloody Leaf.

I agree. I'd have no bother with an electric daily, but a classic would feel completely soulless to me without its engine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You forgot a rorty four-pot!

I don't think I'd put up with the drafts, squeaks, rattles that come with most classics without a combustion engine drown them out and make it all worthwhile. Even seeing classics in the wild, you like to hear what they sound like as they drive off.

I saw Formula E on the TV a while back. Talk about having the soul sucked out of a sport. Maybe the next generation might accept it, but only because they won't know what they're missing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree. I'd have no bother with an electric daily, but a classic would feel completely soulless to me without its engine.
    Oh sure. Anyone who swapped out the V12 from a Ferrari 250 SWB should be hung by the goolies from the nearest tree and scorned by children. Hell, I'd shed a tear if I couldn't occasionally snap the rev needle out to 9000RPM, but many classics have pretty mundane engines and engine notes. In those cases I'd be much less concerned about the lack of internal combustion. Like the Fiat 500 say. Great little town car for nipping about and one that would be improved(IMHO) by a leccy motor.

Though I take Dades point about noise. One of the hardest tasks to overcome for engineers making EV's was and is the lack of engine noise that covers up the small squeaks and rattles of a moving car. And that's modern cars that have more soft furnishings than a palace and more padding than a wonderbra. Though I kinda like the oul squeaks and rattles, or maybe they've deafened me so much I don't hear them anymore. :D Though I've found that kinda thing is most irritating at speed, rather than pootling around towns. Depends on what you prefer too of course. Some mates of mine love plush grand tourers wafting along in silence with oceans of torque, whereas others aren't happy unless they're driving a roller skate at the redline.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As an EV enthusiast and classic car enthusiast, the only acceptable electric classic is one where the original engine in the classic car has gone bust and the car would have been scrapped or broken for parts otherwise

• Advertisement

Someone will come up with an app for engine/exhaust sounds which alter with the throttle input on EVs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Gravelly wrote: »

To me an electric classic is an Enfield 8000.

Anyway, are there more Irish Classics that anyone isn't buying this week? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I think k he converted an 8 series using Tesla running gear didn’t he?

Yes, that’s him. Seen that car on the way to mondello a few months back, he had a bit of an off that day but the car is being restored and should be good to go soon enough. Same chap has a 3 series, 5 series and a 7 series which he has started to convert. The level of detail he goes to is insane, down to the level of getting the electrics to work as normal and even programming the automatic transmission to work.

And for the purists,I’m fairly certain he has bought these cars with knackered engines so he’s not taking a good one and killing it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always have a hankering for a Capri...

ZWViOWI5OWQyMDlmM2Y5MWMxMmE1MTkzMGQ5NGNjNzncuFQc-Rt3uXMQmxd_N2ISaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDMwNDg3NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Though the Recaro's aren't included for some reason.

It's what I learned to drive in(1.6 GT4) and have a lot of happy memories wrapped up in them. Huge regret selling it in the mid 90's. I could have held onto it, but I suppose sitting in all weathers in the driveway would have destroyed it. It was still alive and in nice condition in the early noughties so maybe it escaped the crusher. I sat in one a year back and the memories came flooding back. I'd likely explode if I drove one again(though the brakes would likely give me a coronary) I suppose I'm still driving a "fastback" two door coupe, so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-500-sec-1984/20157029

YzQxZmJiODBjNzVjZDYzN2IzYTk5ZWVkNzQ4NDIyNTglsiuh6T_YgA1UkISQihOmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTE1MTc4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

"Drives like new. 98,000 miles. New NCT. "

If true, would be a great cruiser.

Dades wrote: »

Ah here D, it's not a Capri. >-< :D

Interesting to look at the huge gulf between those two cars of the same age(though the Capri is in essence a late 60's car). Everything about the Merc is of such a higher level. Well, except for the seats. Recaros FTW. Though the price gulf back then must have been massive. In Ireland back then I saw plenty of Capri's and Fords in general, but Mercedes and Audi's and the like were very rare to see. Funny enough I did know of a couple of BMWs. I remember my dad thinking of them as nice cars, though I also remember his take on BMW's at the time; "like a Ford Cortina, only better built".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Dades wrote: »

YzQxZmJiODBjNzVjZDYzN2IzYTk5ZWVkNzQ4NDIyNTglsiuh6T_YgA1UkISQihOmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTE1MTc4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Looks to have the post-85 exterior side planks and leather interior. Says it's a 1984. Could be a typo, could be a refit, could be something else...

Prices for them are dropping in Germany oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If only people would show the reg when selling cars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

What's the general feeling about lpg converting an old classic, a merc se for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

flatty wrote: »
    What's the general feeling about lpg converting an old classic, a merc se for instance?
    Mercedes like this one is a no answer. If you want a more suitable one for the conversion, the W124 and W140 models made from 1993 where the next generation engines were introduced are fine.

• Advertisement

flatty wrote: »

Are you doing the mileage to justify it? I did consider it (18mpg) but my policy is limited to 6k anyway, so it would take me a few years just to cover the cost.

There's a calculator here -

http://autogasireland.ie/

Just looking at the flogas map of outlets -not one within 70kms of me! I remember when LPG was a strong niche for gentlemen farmers and their w116's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just looking at the flogas map of outlets -not one within 70kms of me! I remember when LPG was a strong niche for gentlemen farmers and their w116's :)
    How accurate is this I wonder

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland/#map

Jaysus, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there's one 3 miles from me, and another 2 within 10 miles!

ELM327 wrote: »
    How accurate is this I wonder

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland/#map

If you click on any of the sites, they give the number of confirmations and most recent date.

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland/station/Drews-Filling-Station-17B95AAC-B529-5AE8-461E-BA6E78E75D41

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    If only people would show the reg when selling cars :rolleyes:
    usually means they have something to hide..

oceanman wrote: »

There seems to be a bit of a folk tradition built up around covering the number plates in ads. I've asked several people why they've done it, and they all say a variation of "well everybody else does so I thought it was safer"
    It's like they think you'll steal their soul if they let you see their numberplate in an ad.

Same as people balking at giving out their bank details.

"And have them empty my account? No thanks!"

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

oceanman wrote: »

Not always the case.

A garage I was once working in had a car for sale on Carzone with the number plates displayed and pictures of current road tax and nct..

Criminals got a set of number plates made up for a similar car and it was involved in a post office robbery on the opposite side of the country.

They now cover the number plates to prevent this from happening again.

It’s just too easy to get a set of number plates made up and do what you want.... logbook & I.d should be required to get a set of plates in an ideal world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

supervento wrote: »
    Not always the case.

A garage I was once working in had a car for sale on Carzone with the number plates displayed and pictures of current road tax and nct..

Criminals got a set of number plates made up for a similar car and it was involved in a post office robbery on the opposite side of the country.

They now cover the number plates to prevent this from happening again.

It’s just too easy to get a set of number plates made up and do what you want.... logbook & I.d should be required to get a set of plates in an ideal work.

It's just as easy to clone the details off a car you see in real life. I've no doubt that this happens but covering a few number plates in an add isn't going to stop it.

Advertisement