Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC help

Options
  • 08-04-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey all. I've bought Bix 3 RTF this week. It was all good until I crashed it. Went the other day just to crash it again :D. This time it was fatal. Nose broken. Home, fixed, crashed, tail broke,fixed. I understand that I'm not that good at this hobby (at least at this branch, got rc car that had many fails, but not so major and all was managed quickly), I've also got some experience on many simulators, yet no results. Is there anyone who can teach me, or at least give some tips on how to throw/fly rc plane/glider (broken nose detached my front wheels so I have to throw it now :D). I'm located in Dublin 5 Raheny, have St Annes park just 3 min walk from my house. So if anyone is willing to help me to master rc airplanes please respond.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi XDenasdc you might be better off asking here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=486 There is a group that meet up in Phoenix park I'm sure if you went along someone would be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Dublin County North.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Learning by yourself is doable, but harder than learning from an experienced person, as you've probably worked out :)

If you can't get someone to fly with, your time with the simulator will help good bit with getting controls right. The bix 3 is a good starter plane, but leave off the landing gear for now and hand launch. Are you happy all the control surfaces are working in the right direction and the centre of gravity is correct?

A good tip is to try a few glide hand launches initially, leave throttle off and just get the hang of getting the plane back on the ground tidily. You know about always launching onto the wind - makes a massive difference?

Loads of stuff on youtube about this too, like:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

presume you have license and insurance as well?

check out maci.ie if not

Licence??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

if the model is over a certain size, I think you need a license from the IAA, might be wrong on that though

The relevant weight limit for IAA approval is 20kg, about 18.5 kg more than the model being talked about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 XDenasdc

jrby wrote: »

check out maci.ie if not

iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=107&a=406&pp=253&nn=488&lID=283
    Quotes : When we refer to Drones, we use the technical term – RPAS – or Remotely Piloted Aircraft System.
    Essentially, an RPAS is an unmanned aircraft which is controlled remotely by the pilot on the ground.

When you use your RPAS for recreational purposes, you must follow the same rules that are
    required for the operation of model aircraft as laid out in Rockets and Small Aircraft Order S.I. 25
    of 2000.

file:///C:/Users/LOL/Downloads/Irish%20Aviation%20Authority%20(Rockets%20and%20Small%20Aircraft)%20Order,%202000%20(1).pdf

Quotes: The Order shall not apply to:-o a model aircraft of less than 1.5 kilograms maximum weight less
    fuel and constructed of wood, paper or frangible plastic containing
    no substantial parts and operated in a manner that does not create
    a hazard to persons, property or other aircraft.

Mine is 800 grams all together.

Quote:
    A person who has charge of the operation of a small aircraft which
    weighs more than 1.5 kilograms without fuel but including any articles or
    equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement
    of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown within 5
    kilometres from an aerodrome boundary and unless that person has
    taken reasonable precautions to ensure that the flight can safely be made.

a) Where & When can I operate my RPAS:
     RPAS may only be used for operations over unpopulated areas up to a maximum of 400 feet
    above ground level (120 metres).
     RPAS may only be operated in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) only. What does that
    mean?
     No night flying
     No flying in or through cloud or fog, and
     You should be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through its
    point-of-view camera) at all times.
    b) Distance from the RPAS pilot:
     The aircraft shall not be operated beyond Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) and not further than
    500 metres from the point of operation;
     RPAS shall not be operated within 150 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure not
    under the control of the aircraft operator; during take-off and landing, the aircraft must not
    be flown within 50 metres of any person, unless that person is under the control of the
    aircraft operator.

RPAS – Recreational usage: If your RPAS is to be used purely for recreational purposes then you DO
    NOT need a permission to fly and you do not need formal piloting qualifications. It is your
    responsibility, to comply with all the rules for the operation of model aircraft (see Rockets and Small
    Aircraft Order S.I 25 of 2000) and ensure that you are fully familiar with the ‘Rules of the Air’. For
    example, for safety reasons, RPAS being operated recreationally may not be used in ‘controlled
    airspace’ without special permission from the IAA.
    It is illegal to fly a model aircraft for commercial hire and reward.

This does not apply to the operators of RPAS who are using the aircraft purely for recreational
    purposes. However, the IAA would strongly encourage such users to secure third party liability
    insurance.

I guess I did not brake any rules. And yes I read it before i flew it.

I'm thinking to make very slow flier at the moment and see if it's aircraft problem or my poor skills. Will report to you later. Thank you all.

Did you get the bixler rtf or arf?

jrby wrote: »

check out maci.ie if not

Can't rememmber exact link but here is very similar :
    iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=107&a=406&pp=253&nn=488&lID=283
    iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=107&a=406&pp=413&nn=428&lID=956

Quotes : When we refer to Drones, we use the technical term – RPAS – or Remotely Piloted Aircraft System.
    Essentially, an RPAS is an unmanned aircraft which is controlled remotely by the pilot on the ground.

When you use your RPAS for recreational purposes, you must follow the same rules that are required for the operation of model aircraft as laid out in Rockets and Small Aircraft Order S.I. 25
    of 2000.

Quotes: The Order shall not apply to:-o a model aircraft of less than 1.5 kilograms maximum weight less
    fuel and constructed of wood, paper or frangible plastic containing
    no substantial parts and operated in a manner that does not create
    a hazard to persons, property or other aircraft.

Mine is 800 grams all together.

Quote:
    A person who has charge of the operation of a small aircraft which
    weighs more than 1.5 kilograms without fuel but including any articles or
    equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement
    of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown within 5
    kilometres from an aerodrome boundary and unless that person has
    taken reasonable precautions to ensure that the flight can safely be made.

a) Where & When can I operate my RPAS:
     RPAS may only be used for operations over unpopulated areas up to a maximum of 400 feet
    above ground level (120 metres).
     RPAS may only be operated in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) only. What does that
    mean?
     No night flying
     No flying in or through cloud or fog, and
     You should be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through its
    point-of-view camera) at all times.
    b) Distance from the RPAS pilot:
     The aircraft shall not be operated beyond Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) and not further than
    500 metres from the point of operation;
     RPAS shall not be operated within 150 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure not
    under the control of the aircraft operator; during take-off and landing, the aircraft must not
    be flown within 50 metres of any person, unless that person is under the control of the
    aircraft operator.

RPAS – Recreational usage: If your RPAS is to be used purely for recreational purposes then you DO
    NOT need a permission to fly and you do not need formal piloting qualifications. It is your
    responsibility, to comply with all the rules for the operation of model aircraft (see Rockets and Small
    Aircraft Order S.I 25 of 2000) and ensure that you are fully familiar with the ‘Rules of the Air’. For
    example, for safety reasons, RPAS being operated recreationally may not be used in ‘controlled
    airspace’ without special permission from the IAA.
    It is illegal to fly a model aircraft for commercial hire and reward.

This does not apply to the operators of RPAS who are using the aircraft purely for recreational
    purposes. However, the IAA would strongly encourage such users to secure third party liability
    insurance.

I guess I did not brake any rules. And yes I read it before i flew it.

I'm thinking to make very slow flier at the moment and see if it's aircraft problem or my poor skills. Will report to you later. Thank you all.

• Advertisement

Sorry For double reply, some issues with that on my pc.

About RTF/ARF : I got RTF with everything built in. I did check my controls with instruction sheet that was in the box. I think my ailerons were mixed or reversed. So after realizing that I made it into 3 channel with rudder and elevators. Still no luck it looked like it was flying its own way and then straight to the ground.

Ah OK, the Bix is based on an older 3ch plane called the easystar, but the wing has been changed, so it might not be suitable for 3ch any more (lack of dihedral), hence the lack of control.

If you look at the plane from behind, when you move the aileron stick right, the right aileron should lift up and the left go down. If it's not working this way you just reverse that channel (though should be set up properly for RTF usually).

I'll try it out later, don't want to totally break it for now. Does anyone know where I can buy foam blocks in dublin? Will probably make very slow flyer over next week based on this 2 vids :

youtube.com/watch?v=oaLFmjus3Hg
    youtube.com/watch?v=kobJpBQO3hs

Got some plans. But not sure if I'll be able to transfer all of Bix electronics to that flier. And what foam would you recommend me to use (I presume most of your are experts at this). Also my 1400kv motor bothers me alot with its propeller. I presume my Bix3 propeller is a pusher because it is located at the back of the plane and it pushed the plane rather than pulls as most front motor planes. So if I'm wrong or you have some suggestions to me please don't hesitate to say/ask because I'm still very noob at this.

Are you convinced your Bix is destoyed? It's amazing what'll fix up better than new on these once you know the method. Got any pics?

I ain't convinced that it is totally destroyed. It might fly and probably will fly. I'm just a bit nervous to fully brake it if i crash again. I can still order fuselage wings and tail from hobbyking, it's just money that I'm trying to save.

I think I got some restrictions on links and photos so I'll link my google drive and put some photos in there. Sorry for such a complicated thing.

here is my google drive with photos (open for public)

(https://)drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9EbaqPWUORufjhRaFZHSzJmc2JIQXdSUWNySmpVZ3ZDY0kzZGZnSE4yaTdUUWVldlY5dmM&usp=sharing

please remove the brackets.

That's barely scratched in foam RC terms :)

Be careful using hot glue though, it will stick, but gets brittle in cold weather, and is relatively heavy, which can mess up your CofG.

Superglue works well on EPO foam, or for a really strong job, use Gorilla Glue (you can also mix this 50/50 with water to make a foam to fill gaps.

I'd stick with the bixler rather than trying to build your own at this stage, easier in long run.

Will listen to you. Do you know how much throttle does Bix3 require on take off? Because I'm trying to take off with 1/3~1/2 throttle and it feels like it's pushing the plane downwards. I also heard that a plane should be nose heavy, is that true? And how nose heavy should it be to cg.

I normally take off with 2/3 power on a handlaunch, works grand. Yep, full power can push it downwards, but you can counteract that a little by launching slightly upwards.

Nose heavy is better than tail heavy (hard to fly well vs impossible to fly at all), but you should aim to have it fairly right, i.e. balancing roughly on the main wing spar (or on the servo wires just in front of this).

With a good chuck into the wind, the bixler is normally fairly docile to get in the air.

I managed to change controls so that they are exact of what you said. I'm not sure about the flaps that are on the wing. Would they affect the flight? Or do I just tape them to ailerons? Might have a fly tomorrow morning. Hopefully I don't crash it again. Thanks for your help civdef.

I'd be inclined to tape the flaps in place, they shouldnt make a whole lot of difference overall, flaps are more for show on the Bix.
    Take it handy tomorrow, try a few power off glides first to make sure you have hang of controls and it goes where you want. After that just launch and fly into a straight line for a minute before landing. Build up slowly to longer flights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I remember trying myself in about 1988. 3 or 4 crashes and repairs before going and getting assistance. It was a precedent hi-boy as a matter of interest.

There is more chance of learning alone with much slower and lighter planes such as the bixler than the trainer planes back then. But getting assistance is the best way.

Advertisement