Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for 2 crops of silage?

Options
  • 08-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

It just worked out this year that we have 15 acres that we usually take 2 cuts of silage from, which are surplus to demand for us. So we decided that we would put an ad in the paper to sell 2 crops.

What should we charge? I had thought i would let whoever takes it to fertilise it themselves. Is that the best way?

It is decent grassland. But not new grass either.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Toby12345 wrote: »
    Hi all,

It just worked out this year that we have 15 acres that we usually take 2 cuts of silage from, which are surplus to demand for us. So we decided that we would put an ad in the paper to sell 2 crops.

What should we charge? I had thought i would let whoever takes it to fertilise it themselves. Is that the best way?

It is decent grassland. But not new grass either.

100 for first cut
    75 for second
    So 175 - I would say less for payment up front.
    Buyer fertilises - but they will prob just use N, so you'll be down on P&K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

There's a lot of silage left this year, would say somewhere around €140 for the 2cuts.ex fertiliser, but I think your probably better off putting the correct fertiliser on it yourself and just add that to the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Was paid E200an acre in advance for 20 acres with 3k gls slurry spread and 4 bags 24,2.5,10.
    Didn't even haggle. His pit is very slack by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

100 for first cut
    75 for second
    So 175 - I would say less for payment up front.
    Buyer fertilises - but they will prob just use N, so you'll be down on P&K

Thanks, I was thinking around that figure alright.

I am going to be lashing on a pile of dung on it afterwards so that will help the p & k side. But yes, I imagine lads will just put on N.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

farmerjj wrote: »
    There's a lot of silage left this year, would say somewhere around €140 for the 2cuts.ex fertiliser, but I think your probably better off putting the correct fertiliser on it yourself and just add that to the cost

Yes, I might price up some cut sward or similar and do the sums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement