Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Pox

Options
  • 08-04-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all! Just wanted some advice on something.. I am currently nearly 14 weeks pregnant, and I am attending a christening in 2 and a half weeks time. I've been informed that two of the children of someone attending had chicken pox the week before last. Im wondering now would it be safe for me to still attend the christening in 2 weeks time without risk or should I hold off just in case?

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Have you had chicken pox already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you had your immunity checked in the maternity hospital?

It should be in your blood test results.

Ask your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Apparently it's not routinely checked for anymore or so I found out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Icklstar2912

Yes I had chicken pox myself as a young child, would this make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Nead21 wrote: »
    Apparently it's not routinely checked for anymore or so I found out this morning.

That's very strange - was definitely checked in my booking in bloods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm going for my blood test for chicken pox immunity tomorrow. My doctor has been saying I should have it for ages even though I have no plans to get pregnant soon. I had chicken pox as a child but apparently that's still no guarantee of immunity so OP I wouldn't risk it until you know you're immune.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Once the blisters are crusted over, that's the end of the infectious period. But people can be symptomless for several days before the first spots appear, or just feeling like a cold is coming on. In my son's case, he began to be a bit off form on Saturday, but it was Wednesday before the first spots appeared, and the next weekend before all the spots had crusts.

So while those children in the family might be well out of the infectious period, it might still be in the early stages for others in the family.

To err on the side of caution, its no harm to get the blood test done.

Advertisement