Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to get internal harddrive

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking to get a 1 or 2 TB 3.5" hdd depending on the price. Where would be the cheapest including delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

2tb are about €87 from hardwareversand
    Dunno about the Amazon's but Amazon, scan, overclockers and hwvs are your best bets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Well i originally built it with parts from hwvs and great thing was the single €18 delivery charge for multiple items, but not great for single items. I had a look on amazon alright but i thought maybe there was somewhere I hadn't heard of. Is there no cheap irish site for parts?

Dabs, komplett and elara are Irish sites, I don't know about cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Dabs, komplett and elara are Irish sites, I don't know about cheap though

Komplett aren't Irish, and don't have a physical presence in the country anymore. Do memoryc do hard drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What about memoryc in celbridge?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads but after spending the last hour comparing prices and delivery options i found this to be the best deal if you select the free delivery option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6Gbps-SATA-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00D0240PQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Its WD2TB coming in at £64 delivered which is about €88. I really don't mind waiting the extra few days for the free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just to let you know that that hard is a green one meaning that it is really meant for storage purposes as opposed to running as your main drive due to the speed

Skerries wrote: »
    just to let you know that that hard is a green one meaning that it is really meant for storage purposes as opposed to running as your main drive due to the speed

Damn I thought the red was for storage. Well I use 250GB ssd as my windows drive, and I have another 1TB barracuda which is used for everything else but is nearly full because of my steam folder so this will be a 3rd drive. Should be ok, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Sometimes cheapest for hard drives is not always the best option. I've a Seagate 1tb less than 6 months old that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Just saying...

almorris wrote: »
    Sometimes cheapest for hard drives is not always the best option. I've a Seagate 1tb less than 6 months old that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Just saying...

Really?? I've never had a single problem with mine. Do you mean speed wise?? What kind of problems did you have to make you not recommend?

I pretty much narrowed my search to Seagate or WD. Never had a WD internal drive but I have a WD external 1TB drive that I use for media server and its been on for the last 5 or 6 years straight and not a problem, although I've probably cursed it now. All my other drives were Seagate, apart from the SSD's which have been Samsung 64gb and now EVO250GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Go with memoryc theyhave excelent service and speedy shipping

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Go with memoryc theyhave excelent service and speedy shipping

I checked memoryc and they only had a choice of two 2TB drives, a seagate at €96 and a hybrid sshd @ €140. Ended up getting the WD 2tb green from amazon because of the free shipping, and its only €88.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Komplett aren't Irish, and don't have a physical presence in the country anymore. Do memoryc do hard drives?

I was talking about the Irish site :p Knew they weren't Irish, didn't realise they weren't based here anymore, thanks for that

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Really?? I've never had a single problem with mine. Do you mean speed wise?? What kind of problems did you have to make you not recommend?

I pretty much narrowed my search to Seagate or WD. Never had a WD internal drive but I have a WD external 1TB drive that I use for media server and its been on for the last 5 or 6 years straight and not a problem, although I've probably cursed it now. All my other drives were Seagate, apart from the SSD's which have been Samsung 64gb and now EVO250GB.

Not being recognized anywhere on the computer, comes on sometimes, blue light blinking. Having said that, it's been OK lately. I've also a 1tb WD that like yours has been flawless for the last 5 - 6 years.

Check out this reliability study from backblaze, worth a read. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

It would seem not some much brand as model, as in some models are just dogs. In short, the eco green models take longer to spin up and that could be causing high rates of failures.

almorris wrote: »
    Not being recognized anywhere on the computer, comes on sometimes, blue light blinking. Having said that, it's been OK lately. I've also a 1tb WD that like yours has been flawless for the last 5 - 6 years.

Check out this reliability study from backblaze, worth a read. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

It would seem not some much brand as model, as in some models are just dogs. In short, the eco green models take longer to spin up and that could be causing high rates of failures.

Interesting stuff, I did have a seagate 320gb go on me a few years ago but it was one i'd salvaged from an old sky box and it already had 1000's of hours clocked up on it so thats what I put that down to. Other than that i've been lucky.

I'm thinking of clearing my 1tb drive of movies, pics, media stuff, and keep it for steam game installs. And because of the spin down feature in the wd green drive, I'll be packing all the media stuff onto that. Any other programs can go on my ssd. My steam folder is roughly 700GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

beauf wrote: »

Both the links seem to go to the same article? Interesting that the author of the above slags Backblaze for seeking attention then goes on to rehash Backblazes article. You pay your money and take your chances.

Advertisement