Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheel problem.

• 08-04-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Front wheel stops rolling when you spin it. Brake callipers opened and still does this. I opened skewer slightly and spun wheel and it spins away. However once I tighten the skewer and roll wheel, it doesn't roll as freely as it should. Any suggestions besides leaving the skewer opened?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Amprodude wrote: »
    Front wheel stops rolling when you spin it. Brake callipers opened and still does this. I opened skewer slightly and spun wheel and it spins away. However once I tighten the skewer and roll wheel, it doesn't roll as freely as it should. Any suggestions besides leaving the skewer opened?

Thanks

No suggestions but would totally advise against the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No suggestions but would totally advise against the above.

Bearings most likely worn or dry so when you tighten the skewer the axle meets resistance on the worn bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Another possibility is that if the skewer is overly tight than can put too much load on the bearings making them spin less freely and also causing them to wear quicker.

Plenty of people try and get the skewer as tight as they can make it and still be able to open/close it. If your skewer is like that then loosen it a bit. Check out some videos or guides on how to do it, I wouldn't want to try and talk someone through getting skewer tension right via forum. It's easy but it's too important and I don't want to lead you to a face plant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Amprodude wrote: »

Thanks

What wheels have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

readjust the cone nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What wheels have you got?

Cosmics.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

readjust the cone nuts

Wot he said. If wheel is spinning freely and then not under tension of the skewer, it might be that the cones are too tight. Have no experience with Mavics, just Shimano, but can you adjust this, or do you have to replace as a cartridge bearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I had to clear out my freewheel recently. When I was putting everything back together I decided to make sure that everything was good and tight, this included overtightening the bearings. Result: Wheel would not turn. Left off the pressure on the bearings a bit at a time till everything was running smoothly again.
    You will be able to find online videos for your wheels and how to check for this kind of problem. If you have not been dismantling and reassembling your bearings recently, they may have worn out through use.

Take the wheel off the bike and remove the skewer (check if it's bent!). grab the bit of the axle that is sticking out on both sides and see if you can spin the wheel. This will give you an idea if the bearings are banjaxed or not.

Advertisement