Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda Weekend April 18th/19th

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

That always happens, but I and a few others were trying to keep the pace up on the last few km and absolutely no-one else wanted to pull. I mean literally, I pulled to the right with 2km or so to go cos I knew I was running out of steam and wanted to get out of the way and let someone else come through, they just weaved behind me, so I get stuck on the front like an idiot trying to keep the pace up, so on the little drag everyone storms past when I'm knackered, then you get dogs abuse for being in the way... Then everyone f'king slows up again on the top of the drag and you're at the front again... and then you get abused again as they all storm past after getting a nice rest behind you.

So, y'know, what's the point in trying at all? The only point in that race where any speed was picked up was the back straight, when the wind was behind us or on downhill sections. Even after getting caught up in the crash I was easily able to get back on with a few others... so what's the point then? Go to A4 races, sit in the bunch resting up, wait for the sprint, get your points. Make sure you don't waste energy, give out to people who get in your way when you decide to put in your effort? This may not be your attitude Mathie but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

I'm disappointed this has turned negative again after initially having enjoyed the race. I still think DW and Wav put on an excellent race with all the right boxes ticked, but I'm done talking about how the racers actually act.

Fair play for trying. Wasn't racing myself but will be heading that direction later for another of the good events held there

Maybe the A4 riders should watch the replay of the finish of the Amstel Gold Race last Sunday; about 20 strong riders sprinting into a headwind, no lead-outs or genuine 'sprinters' in contention, nobody wanting to be on the front, riders weaving everywhere. Sounds like A4 most weeks.

And some brilliant bike skills, freewheeling at least twice in the final 200m, from the winner. The overhead replay makes for good viewing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

If we can get the same lads working in a break next week in bohermeen, we might all get a few points : ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

keoclassic wrote: »
    If we can get the same lads working in a break next week in bohermeen, we might all get a few points : ).

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Are you saying people sat up or that their legs ran out of steam?

Bit of both I suppose but definitely a lot shaped up to take the sprint, started and then literally stopped pedalling with no regard to those around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Bit of both I suppose but definitely a lot shaped up to take the sprint, started and then literally stopped pedalling with no regard to those around them.

As long as they held their line what does it matter?

So what I'm reading into this and wirelessdude's point is that people just shouldn't try? They should just stay out of the way? I'm not being smart here, I had to go into the grass and dirt to get around a guy and get back to the front, but surely in a sprint you have position yourself well so that you don't have guys dying in front of you? How far back in the bunch were you sprinting from? I'm one of the guys who died cos I misjudged the distance and how much I had in my legs, so forgive me if I'm getting a little defensive here.

People should really know that;

A: they have the balls for the sprint
    B: the legs for the sprint

Some of those that stopped/didn't bother/died in the sprint had made a huge effort to come up the right to get into position. I was about 10th -15th wheel and then suddenly as the swarm from the right occured I was pushed to about 30th by those that literally came to the front. A lot of them seem to try for 2/3 seconds and decided for whatever reason it wasn't for them.

Now my main point if that the issue of 'balls' seems to be an issue. People getting into sprint who more than likely have never tried to properly sprint before. I saw at least two nearly come down when they tried to get into the drops from the hoods to sprint. In a GAA match you don't suddenly decide to do something different unless you have previously practised it, the same theory should apply here. You need to have tried things before hand. Find a quiet road and get used to getting into the drops and sprinting. This was something I wasn't good at last year but have worked on it.

colm_gti wrote: »
    As long as they held their line what does it matter?

A4 and holding lines in the ones sentence, really? :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

People should really know that;

A: they have the balls for the sprint
    B: the legs for the sprint

Some of those that stopped/didn't bother/died in the sprint had made a huge effort to come up the right to get into position. I was about 10th -15th wheel and then suddenly as the swarm from the right occured I was pushed to about 30th by those that literally came to the front. A lot of them seem to try for 2/3 seconds and decided for whatever reason it wasn't for them.

Now my main point if that the issue of 'balls' seems to be an issue. People getting into sprint who more than likely have never tried to properly sprint before. I saw at least two nearly come down when they tried to get into the drops from the hoods to sprint. In a GAA match you don't suddenly decide to do something different unless you have previously practised it, the same theory should apply here. You need to have tried things before hand. Find a quiet road and get used to getting into the drops and sprinting. This was something I wasn't good at last year but have worked on it.

I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

You need to have tried things before hand.

Where do you suggest people practice sprinting in a bunch?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Where do you suggest people practice sprinting in a bunch?

Well if they are part of a club i'm assuming they are like ours and have some sprint training sessions.

Don't need to be in a club to practice getting down from the hoods into the drops at speed and get comfortable with it.
    All you need is a 100/200/300m stretch of quietish straight road and away ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Everyone I have a phone that was handed in to me at the weekend.Think it might be one of the youth riders..Would love them to have it back.Get in touch with me if you know where it belongs.On another note thanks for all the kind comments re weekend .Looks like we are getting there.

Then maybe you should focus on getting your position sorted for the sprint rather than expecting people to get out if your way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

keoclassic wrote: »
    Honest riding by some in the A3 you mean, I must have called 20 times for more lads to come up, but only about 10 of us were there consistently for the last 2 laps.Good racing yesterday, sat up at the sprint cause i was knackered from chasing.Thanks to drogheda wheelers for the day and all those who helped out.

Your of course right, plenty did very little, I'm just being nice. I gave a few turns myself when I really thought they were gone for good, was saying to get something out of the day if only a good session, but then it looked like we could catch them and I did a few more. Went back into the safety of the group for the finish to find I had good legs but absolutely no balls whatsoever. Love to see a video of the last KM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Are there photos anywhere? I'd particularly like to see the A4 sprint.

Then maybe you should focus on getting your position sorted for the sprint rather than expecting people to get out if your way?

So what in your wisdom is the ideal position then?

• Advertisement

So what in your wisdom is the ideal position then?

EDIT: There's no point clogging up a thread for what was a very well run, safe event with fickle bickering, lets move on

EDIT: There's no point clogging up a thread for what was a very well run, safe event with fickle bickering, lets move on

Fair enough so. I was genuinely interested in your answer though. Always looking for good advice.

Fair enough so. I was genuinely interested in your answer though. Always looking for good advice.

I'd be the wrong one to give advice on sprinting, never won a sprint, at least not in a road race anyway, and any time I have won a sprint (on the track) it's been in a very diminished group of non-sprinters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Did the youths race up part of said hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This is not a bad start to be honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPVZZBC3rRs

and another one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/technique-sprint-finishing-1044/

Use lamp posts, street furniture, drive ways even pot holes to mark your sprint point. Until that point watch everyone and follow wheels, fight for position. Once you reach your mark GO! and never look back before you've crossed the line.

Start your sprint while you are still behind a rider and pull to the side once you're about to ram his rear wheel. You kind of have to sprint into the rider in front of you but miss him at the same time.

If you can get your club mates to help you out then it's even better. Let them drive the pace through the roof in the last 5-6km while you sit tight right behind them or at least close to the front. Once your last man has peeled off the front there is going to be a little slowdown with everyone looking at each other and then you will need to GO! like there is no tomorrow.

Have never been in a leadout train so can't tell much about those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

luapenak wrote: »
    Are there photos anywhere? I'd particularly like to see the A4 sprint.

PileupNV3_-611-012.jpg

:)

I jest obviously :)

IMHO if your sprinting you need to be near the front, and in a position that means you have some clear road ahead of you.

cycling tips have very good tips on sprinting.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/04/common-sprinting-mistakes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

^See the way they have the numbers on there. One on the pockets and the other turned on the back for the finish camera I guess.

Advertisement