Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

springer spaniel

• 08-04-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these. My mother is looking at getting one for a pet. Are they a good breed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IME they're a lovely friendly dog, daft as brooms. The only thing, and obviously I don't know how old your mother is or what her health is like or anything, but they have MASSES of energy, seriously; bags and bags of it. They'll go all day. My brother had a couple and they seem impossible to tire out. If your mum wants a chilled out companion a springer is not it (nor is any spaniel, really). If she wants a companion to run or to do serious walking with then they're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

One of the most hyperactive dog breeds I have ever met to be honest, they basically seem not built to be on a leash (just my experiences with many of them) they are FAST dogs who are go-go-go. The "Springer" part of their name suits them well!

Personality wise they tend to be very sweet, goofy natured dogs. But like I said, they are VERY busy!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My dog is half springer, Crazy crazy energy! Not the brightest dog at times but very loving,sweet and definitely the most loyal dog I've ever had. She is extremely vocal although that may be her Collie side coming out. If your mum is very old I wouldn't recommend a springer, they need daily long runs off the lead to burn off that crazy unending energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not a dog for the faint hearted, as the other posters have said, they have boundless energy. They just don't stop, you cannot tire them out! Any I have met have fabulous personalities though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

She has a 13 and half year old lab now. But feels he is on his last legs. She was talking to her neighbor that works for the ISPCA. The neighbor put one on hold for the mother to go look at one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

What everyone has said so far is true, but if you can get a mature bitch (3+) they can be very quiet settled dogs, so if she wants a springer it seems like rescue might be your best bet.

Rips wrote: »
    What everyone has said so far is true, but if you can get a mature bitch (3+) they can be very quiet settled dogs, so if she wants a springer it seems like rescue might be your best bet.

She was told its a year and half. Supposed to be a very clam dog like the lab she has now. He wouldnt hurt a fly the lab that is.

cena wrote: »
    She was told its a year and half. Supposed to be a very clam dog like the lab she has now. He wouldnt hurt a fly the lab that is.

I would highly recommend that she gets the dog on a lead/for a walk before deciding anything. I have met my fair share of sweet springers who turn into steam trains once they know they are heading outside lol.

For example I was walking a springer and german shepherd together. The GSD was no problem for me, but the tiny springer? Nearly pulled my arm off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I got my springer when she was two years old. She came from a family where there were very young kids, and they had her gone mad. It took her a while to calm down, but she is the most devoted, intelligent, loyal, protective and loving animal in the world. The downside is she has heart and kidney trouble and I'm almost broke buying her meds, but she's worth it. Go for it, this breed will only bring joy. :D

I wish she would stay with the same breed. At least she knows the breed

• Advertisement

Honestly if the Labrador is nearly 14 years old i'd wait till after he passes to bring a new dog into the family, at that age hes probably a little creaky on his legs and a young energetic pup could hurt him

SingItOut wrote: »
    Honestly if the Labrador is nearly 14 years old i'd wait till after he passes to bring a new dog into the family, at that age hes probably a little creaky on his legs and a young energetic pup could hurt him

The lab walks himself down to the brothers house to play with there 2yr old dog must days. It's in the same estate.

Why is the dog allowed to roam out of his back garden? Please don't let him do that on his own he could be stolen or hit by a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No reputable rescue will adopt a dog to a home that already lets their dog wander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op personally I wouldn’t get a year and a half dog if the resident dog is already 14 years old.

Heading off down the road to play with a 2 year old dog is one thing BUT having a young adult (very active dog) 24/7 is an entirely different matter.

I have a cocker spaniel, I know NOT an actual springer but similar in traits… even if your told the dog is calm this will change one it settle into a new home…

My guy NEEDS at least one hour walking per night and he’s 10…and yes without a dogmatic head collar he would pull the arm off you… but an amazing dog, lots of fun, sweet and brilliant personality.

On a side note… the other dog shouldn’t be allowed to wander and a decent rescue centre wont rehome to a home where this is allowed to g oon.

For the life of me I cannot understand the Irish mentality of letting your dog wander… dog theft, accidents, not to mention he’s crapping everywhere and it’s not being cleaned up by your mum.

He doesn't just wonder off. We do be outside when he goes down. Brother does be outside waiting for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I've got a couple of springers, all working dogs and it breaks my heart seeing pet springers mostly as the majority seem to be in harnesses pulling like steam trains and not allowed off leash for lack of recall.

The breed is designed to find and flush game, they are mostly a vehicle for their nose!

There is no reason they can't be taught to heel on the lead (mine heel without a lead) but they really are a working breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

yes, we had 2 springer spaniels and they were demented on the lead! Literally pulling the second we left the house. We would let them off lead once we got off the roads and onto the canal bank and they would run around like lunatics for as long as they were allowed. They had good recall but they hated the lead!

I thought all dogs were like that until I got my mini schnauzer and I couldn't believe that at 5 months old she walks happily alongside me on a lead! I thought that was just a myth! Based on the 2 springers we had I don't think they would be a suitable breed for an older lady unless she's extremely active or it's an unusually calm springer!

Vancity wrote: »
    yes, we had 2 springer spaniels and they were demented on the lead! Literally pulling the second we left the house. We would let them off lead once we got off the roads and onto the canal bank and they would run around like lunatics for as long as they were allowed. They had good recall but they hated the lead!

I thought all dogs were like that until I got my mini schnauzer and I couldn't believe that at 5 months old she walks happily alongside me on a lead! I thought that was just a myth! Based on the 2 springers we had I don't think they would be a suitable breed for an older lady unless she's extremely active or it's an unusually calm springer!

she in her 50's. not that active. I would probably end up bringing it for a walk. going to see it on Sunday. still think the lab would suit her better.

I wouldn't go for either a lab or a springer; both breeds are very energetic, especially in their youth, and need a lot of exercise. Would she consider a rescue greyhound? Fabulous dogs, very loving and gentle, and do well with a short walk a couple of times a day.

• Advertisement

OP if shes not that active then neither a springer or lab is suitable.

you mentioned you end of bringing "it" for a walk... what you can commit to 1 one each day, every day and more at the weekends? a bored dog who's not exercised enough will become destructive (from experience)

A greyhound or a smaller dog (ie yorkie etc) would be more suitable and also manageable for your mum, please be sensible in your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have a 2 year old Male, Fantastic breed! very friendly and loving! They have very very high energy levels! require lots of exercise on and off lead!! They definitely suit a more active lifestyle!

I have 2, great dogs, every day is like Christmas for them.

Do you want to go out?

YES, BEST IDEA EVER !!!

Do you want to come in?

YES THATS AN EVEN BETTER IDEA!!!

Do you want to go out again?

OMG YES, YOUR IDEA'S JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER.

All while spinning in circles

Do you want to go out?

YES, BEST IDEA EVER !!!

Do you want to come in?

sounds familiar :D

Do you want to go out?

YES, BEST IDEA EVER !!!

Do you want to come in?

This basically sums up my experiences with them. Everything is winning the lottery. Everything.

Do you want to go out?

YES, BEST IDEA EVER !!!

Do you want to come in?

So true! You forgot barking for every emotion they feel :D

The springer came home this evening. Really quiet dog.

The springer came home this evening. Really quiet dog.

Time will tell op, I wish ur mum
    All the very best with her new dog ;)

Ps post a pic of the new addition!!

cocker5 wrote: »
    Time will tell op, I wish ur mum
    All the very best with her new dog ;)

Ps post a pic of the new addition!!

It was the only dog not barking at the <snip> place.

Well try post a pic tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

It was the only dog not barking at the <snip> place.

Well try post a pic tomorrow

Looking forward to pics.

Mine was also the only dog not barking in the place, because he'd shut down. He's anything but quiet now and would most definitely not be ok for most homes (I'm not having an ego trip, I've had huge amounts of help from a wonderful trainer plus a lot of frustration trying to train him). Any decent rescue well help with training etc if necessary down the line :)

Yep. Tegan was a dream for the first two weeks or so. Then she opened up and the extent of her fear aggression toward other dogs became apparent.

17113772956_fd439ee871_s.jpg20150413_203451 by keggs 85, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Very sad eyes poor pet

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

We had a springer spaniel for 13 years until last month when she passed away. She was the apple of my dad's eye! Extremely loyal dog (once my Grandad took a fall on an isolated country lane while she was with him and she lay on top of him for about 3 hours until a car came along!).

I would really say it depends on where she lives. A Springer Spaniel is definitely a country dog- they're not happy unless they're running outside through hedges and muck and that's naturally because they're a hunting dog. As many people have already said, they are extremely energetic and you'll definitely see this when your springer is out in the open! Not really a lead dog? Lucy never took to a lead anyways, not that we ever needed one with her though because we live on a farm, she walked herself and she had severe travel sickness so we could never take her anywhere even if we wanted a change of scenery!

Great doggy though-your mum will never be bored! Unbelievable guard dog too and this is definitely down to their loyalty! Wish I could upload a pic of Lucy but not on my phone!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

Aww, lovely face :)
    Best of luck with the new addition - you'll be best friends in no time!

• Advertisement

Aww, lovely face :)
    Best of luck with the new addition - you'll be best friends in no time!

He is mad to play ball already

He is mad to play ball already

:D:D:D:D:D he wont be quiet for long!!

Enjoy he looks like a lovely dog and well done to your mum for rescuing him!

Hi people. we maybe giving up the spaniel. Mother is not taking to it at all.

Hi people. we maybe giving up the spaniel. Mother is not taking to it at all.

More information, like what are the issues your mum is having?

Also please don't refer to the dog as an it.. It's a he 😓

cocker5 wrote: »
    More information, like what are the issues your mum is having?

Also please don't refer to the dog as an it.. It's a he 😓

he has too much energy for her liking. stands in his own poo. RUINING the garden when it is wet by the way he runs ans skids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

he has too much energy for her liking. stands in his own poo. RUINING the garden when it is wet by the way he runs ans skids.

Really?? REALLY??

Sigh.

If she got the dog from a rescue, she will probably need to return the dog to the rescue, usually they specify this in the rehoming contract.

Please tell me you are taking the p*ss??

Every poster advised you they are extremely high energy when you originally posted and probably not advisable for an older person who isn't very active.. Advice was ignored and this is now the outcome??

Sounds like he is not being exercised enough outside the back garden..,

Eh take up his poo when he goes?

I take my guy stuff up every day

Both are simple answers to a simple problem..,

Sigh :(

easy come easy go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyone have one of these. My mother is looking at getting one for a pet. Are they a good breed?
    kylith wrote: »
    IME they're a lovely friendly dog, daft as brooms. The only thing, and obviously I don't know how old your mother is or what her health is like or anything, but they have MASSES of energy, seriously; bags and bags of it. They'll go all day. My brother had a couple and they seem impossible to tire out. If your mum wants a chilled out companion a springer is not it (nor is any spaniel, really). If she wants a companion to run or to do serious walking with then they're great.
    VonVix wrote: »
    One of the most hyperactive dog breeds I have ever met to be honest, they basically seem not built to be on a leash (just my experiences with many of them) they are FAST dogs who are go-go-go. The "Springer" part of their name suits them well!

Personality wise they tend to be very sweet, goofy natured dogs. But like I said, they are VERY busy!
    SingItOut wrote: »
    My dog is half springer, Crazy crazy energy! Not the brightest dog at times but very loving,sweet and definitely the most loyal dog I've ever had. She is extremely vocal although that may be her Collie side coming out. If your mum is very old I wouldn't recommend a springer, they need daily long runs off the lead to burn off that crazy unending energy.
    Nope, could not see that one coming at all...

As soon as I saw this thread was back I had a feeling 'too energetic' was going to be the problem. Like everyone said it would be.

That poor, poor dog.

As Raminahobbin says rescues generally stipulate that the dog has to be returned to them if it doesn't work out. However since I'm not convinced that a reputable rescue would give a springer to a person who wouldn't be able to handle the energy levels I don't hold out much hope for it being a reputable rescue.

kylith wrote: »
    As soon as I saw this thread was back I had a feeling 'too energetic' was going to be the problem. Like everyone said it would be.

That poor, poor dog.

Agree 100%

Its easily fixed with proper stimulation and exercise but doesn't sound like this is likely...

poor dog is right, will be dumped back in the rescue now EVEN though the OP was well aware of its exercise needs .... I just wish people would
    1. Listen to other peoples advise
    2. think long and hard before getting a dog....

A dog is for life... regardless of skidding :D, digging etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Cena, can I just ask- did you not believe the people here? Or was it just that your mother wasn't listening? Did you actually tell her what you'd learned about springers from talking to people who have them or know them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well to be tad more constructive I'd say what your mother needs is either a pair of cats (go for adult to avoid the whole insane furball of claws stage and you can get confirmed social lovers who wants pettings etc.) or something like an adult greyhound or similar which require minimal exercising and walks.

He has fallen in love with me. He goes mad when he see me coming.

I told her what was said here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My sister has a 12 year old springer. She's mildly arthritic and has been diabetic and getting twice daily insulin jabs for the last 6 years, but whenever I visit and take her for a walk, I almost dislocate my shoulder from the pull on the lead before we get to an area where she can be let loose. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't just put down his exuberance to youth and hope he'll calm down when he gets older, they're just extremely energetic dogs.

He has fallen in love with me. He goes mad when he see me coming.

I told her what was said here

Maybe your the only one who gives him the attention he needs and deserves.

Well if you told her everything written on here and she still proceeded with the adoption then its her own fault and you know what... the only one who will suffer here is the poor dog... being dropped from pillar to post through NO fault of his own.

I am guessing the dog is not exercised?

A springer needs AT LEAST one hours walks outside the garden each day... at least with no exceptions....

poor dog being returned because as per usual people jump feet first in without looking at the situation properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement