Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

springer spaniel

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Alun wrote: »
    My sister has a 12 year old springer. She's mildly arthritic and has been diabetic and getting twice daily insulin jabs for the last 6 years, but whenever I visit and take her for a walk, I almost dislocate my shoulder from the pull on the lead before we get to an area where she can be let loose. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't just put down his exuberance to youth and hope he'll calm down when he gets older, they're just extremely energetic dogs.

With daily exercise Min one hour per day outside of the garden etc and stimulation 99% of dogs relax as the years go by.

I have a cocker who was MENTAL until 3... then he chillaxed hugely, but he is VERY well exercised etc.

exercise is the key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cocker5 wrote: »
    With daily exercise Min one hour per day outside of the garden etc and stimulation 99% of dogs relax as the years go by.

I have a cocker who was MENTAL until 3... then he chillaxed hugely, but he is VERY well exercised etc.

exercise is the key
    Believe me, she gets walked for at least that if not more every day. My sister lives in rural Norfolk, and there's a large area of woodland with a huge network of tracks only 2-3 minutes walk from the house, so she gets let off the lead as soon as we reach that, and bounds around in the undergrowth as is her wont. It's only on the 2 minute walk along the road to get there that she really pulls, on the way back after her walk she's fine on the lead, and generally speaking she's very chilled at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

This is really sad. I'm not sure we even realized how much work our boy would be when we got him as a rescue a few years ago. He's hyper and goofy and fun but with loads of energy. He's calmed a little now that he's three, but we would never have given him back as we made the choice and live with it, and he repays us many times over with his boundless affection. He gets walked twice a day, and in the fields our other girl, a Samoyed, would sometimes just sit down and watch him bouncing around.

People need to think hard before getting a dog like a springer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

One thing that might help a little is that springers are actually highly, highly intelligent dogs. It's funny that so many people here have said they are daft dogs, they aren't, they are just so energetic and excitable that maybe that obscures their intelligence but they need mental stimulation every bit as much as physical. I have two nine year old springers and they need intense physical and mental stimulation. A favourite game to play with them is to put a couple of dog treats in a box, show it to them, leave the dogs in the kitchen and then hide the box in the garden. Once it's hidden, send them off to find it. It's great fun and provides both mental and physical stimulation. When looked after right they are lovely dogs. Super affectionate, as playful as a puppy right through their lives, very low aggression rates. Super adaptable and take so well to children. When I got my two I thought we'd have children within 2-3 years of getting them. As it happens they were 7 when my son was born but despite that being an enormous seismic shock at that age, they just adapted to his presence so fast and if he annoys them, they have never so much as given a warning growl, they just look at me in askance and wait for my intervention.

But they are a lot of work. They need intense stimulation, they love dirt and they shed like crazy, they are also very energetic about the house and spread their hairs and dirt all over. The worst aspect for me atm is that we moved house last year and my nextdoor neighbour has chickens, which is a nightmare with a dog which can easily scale a 2m fence and is bred to hunt fowl. We have a huge back garden and I have to confine them to a small part of it. (They still have loads of space but it's a shame they can't take advantage of the majority of the garden that was in large part bought for their benefit.) I don't like to think about the future without them in it but when I do, I have to admit I plan on getting a smaller, slightly less energetic dog next. I love them but on bad days, the amount of work they need gets me down.

Your mother needs to decide what she wants to do fast. Don't let the poor dog get more attached while she dithers only to eventually rehome him when it's an even harder wrench for him. However she did make a commitment to the poor guy and should at least work to find a genuinely suitable home for him, so that he never has to go through this again. It's pretty heartbreaking, tbh, and she does owe him her best now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Laziness on the humans part seems to be the only problem here. He is clearly not getting enough attention and stimulation. Hes a dog, he has no concept that standing in his own poo is bad I mean seriously? Clean it up then that won't be an issue. If he's wet then put him in when it's raining you know it's not rocket science. You're not going to have a nice garden where there's a dog.

As much energy as they have they are 100% "people" dogs, I can't move and my springer crossbreed is glued to my hip! I wouldn't have it any other way. The only one I feel sorry for is the poor springer, there was 3 pages of advice telling you that breed was not good a good choice for your mum and you still went and got the dog. Putting him back in kennels will traumatise him but I can only hope with his handsome good looks that a more deserving family will take him on for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

This thread has really annoyed me!!! Why do people come here and ask questions and don't listen to the advice they are given?

My collie was put through 4 different homes before finally coming to me. It really pisses me off that people saw this "cute dog" and didn't even consider what this dog really needs from their owner and not even do the slightest bit of research into the breed etc. The only one who loses out in this situation is the dog. I really wish humans wouldn't be so selfish sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ashbx wrote: »
    This thread has really annoyed me!!! Why do people come here and ask questions and don't listen to the advice they are given?

My collie was put through 4 different homes before finally coming to me. It really pisses me off that people saw this "cute dog" and didn't even consider what this dog really needs from their owner and not even do the slightest bit of research into the breed etc. The only one who loses out in this situation is the dog. I really wish humans wouldn't be so selfish sometimes!

Exactly!
    We are on our second collie, which was my very last choice as a breed/crossbreed for our next rescue. Even though I have 11 years experience with a collie with the worst behavioral problems, he is still a MASSIVE handful. When I hear of anyone in my family looking to get a collie pup, I immediately invite them to spend 10 minutes with Opie. Despite my vigorous training efforts, he is still more than the average person can manage at 1 year old and it puts them right off.

When people tell you a dog breed is not suitable, you bloody well listen.
    Then again, a dog running and skidding in a wet garden is probably one of the top useless excuses to get rid of a dog I have seen to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

My spaniel cross was rehomed twice before I got her, not counting her original home. Similar excuses as above. All could have been fixed easily, like crating at night and getting lots of exercise. Who gets a dog and leaves it in garden thinking the garden will be safe. I have seen even Yorkshire terriers make bits of gardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't believe I didn't mention this in my original post but one of my dogs had to have one of his front legs amputated 5 years ago because it never got to develop properly when he was a pup. The family that bought him originally never walked him and when we got him at 7 months he was several kgs heavier than his eventual adult weight and his paw pads were still as soft and pink as a newborn pup's from lack of walking. He used to fall over when he tried to run and once he learned how, he used to come home from walks and lie down licking his paws and whimpering as they were in pain from carrying his weight on such soft paws. Once his paws hardened and his weight changed from fat to healthy muscle mass we thought his physical troubles were over but aged 3 he broke his 'elbow' joint and we had it screwed and pinned back together but 6 months later it broke again, completely shattering the joint. He's a happy tripawd now and has been one for longer than he hasn't but if the people who originally bought him had done proper research and gotten the King Charles spaniel they replaced him with in the first place and left Toby to be homed by people who wanted and could cope with an active dog, he would probably still have all his limbs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Hopefully this thread was an elaborate awareness raising ruse! (If only).

I wonder what became of the dog. I don't expect the OP would return to update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Hopefully this thread was an elaborate awareness raising ruse! (If only).

I wonder what became of the dog. I don't expect the OP would return to update?

Ben is doing very well. :) Nearly A year with us in may. Everyone likes him and he is happy guy. He also helps our old lab move around AS HE IS at the age were walking is hard getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've been wanting to get a springer for years and put off because I already have 2 westies . I have fields and lakes but feel I have to make sure time is right before I commit .

Its great to see cena took on Ben eben tho he/she had such a hard time from the locals as I also shared in their frustration .

Can I ask cena if you regret getting Ben ? ( just some added info for myself )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I've been wanting to get a springer for years and put off because I already have 2 westies . I have fields and lakes but feel I have to make sure time is right before I commit .

Its great to see cena took on Ben eben tho he/she had such a hard time from the locals as I also shared in their frustration .

Can I ask cena if you regret getting Ben ? ( just some added info for myself )
    At first we did. My mother is happy she kept him. He goes mad to give her hugs and the lab is not near her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

cena wrote: »
    Ben is doing very well. :) Nearly A year with us in may. Everyone likes him and he is happy guy. He also helps our old lab move around AS HE IS at the age were walking is hard getting.

Glad to hear it Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Damien M

cena wrote: »
    he has too much energy for her liking. stands in his own poo. RUINING the garden when it is wet by the way he runs ans skids.

Clean up the dog dirt?? They are Spaniels. They are bred to go through any terrain, bushes, water, swamp. Breeders purposely select the most insane pups in the litter and breed with them. They need hours of exercise and stimulation. You were advised by posters on here not to get a Spaniel. I can't actually believe what I'm reading. My dog is a half Springer half Cocker, when she even sees the lead coming out she goes completely crazy. This is not an old lady's dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Damien M wrote: »
    Clean up the dog dirt?? They are Spaniels. They are bred to go through any terrain, bushes, water, swamp. Breeders purposely select the most insane pups in the litter and breed with them. They need hours of exercise and stimulation. You were advised by posters on here not to get a Spaniel. I can't actually believe what I'm reading. My dog is a half Springer half Cocker, when she even sees the lead coming out she goes completely crazy. This is not an old lady's dog.

You do realise he came back. A month ago. To tell us that the dog has settled well. After a YEAR.

Advertisement