Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

FCN for no tax on the bike.. Any idea whether it incurs penalty points?

• 08-04-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Howyas lads, was out on the bike today ( for the third time since the end of winter ) and was driving to the shops to get butter :rolleyes: and hit a checkpoint 2 minutes down the road, got pulled in and done for not having tax. Mr.Garda said there'll be a ticket in the door within the next few days . Encountered about 3 checkpoints since I started riding and the guards have always waved me through without even stopping me but appears today was my unlucky day :(. Anyways, anyone know the penalty for no tax? Checked the Garda website and it doesn't seem to qualify under offences resulting in a Fixed Penalty under the penalty points system but I'm still unsure whether I'm to expect a few points as-well as a fine. Anybody know how much the fine is also? Thanks lads.

P.S To the Garda who done me and wouldn't allow me to go to get my butter. You're a bad egg sir.... A bad egg.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

€80, no points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Handy info! I bought a bike today and the tax is out. Can't tax it until the change of ownership is processed. I'm just carrying the receipt for the bike with me incase I'm stopped to show I just bought it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

goodlad wrote: »
    Handy info! I bought a bike today and the tax is out. Can't tax it until the change of ownership is processed. I'm just carrying the receipt for the bike with me incase I'm stopped to show I just bought it

If you go to the tax office they will transfer the ownership and tax the bike there and then :) I've had something in the region of 30 vehicles and I only found that out last year

Ah I signed off the logbook and the seller will be posting it.
    Can't do a PIN retrieval on the motortax website until the details I put in match the ownership details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

infacteh wrote: »
    €80, no points.

Cheers mate! Phew...

• Advertisement

Yeah my dad done the same after buying a scooter recently! He went through awful trouble though because they wouldn't give him the correct documentation and everything because he has taken the bike down from the north and the receipt wasn't valid to them and they put up a right ruckus over it but he still drove it around after getting it on his Insurance! What bike did ya get Goodlad?? Best of luck and safe riding with it regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you go to the tax office they will transfer the ownership and tax the bike there and then :) I've had something in the region of 30 vehicles and I only found that out last year

Think youre missing the point there...;)

I'm just saying.....if the Gardai had spent the same amount of effort in finding that poor woman in Ashford as they did into that "bikes-only" checkpoint up the gap the weekend maybe that woman would still be alive.....just sayin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

How long was the tax out by DjDylan?
    I was given grief on Sunday just as you come into Blessington as it was out by 4 days? Usually been waved through like yourself.

Lads you are all missing the point of taxing your bike!!

Its the handiest thing ever to cover up that plate for the times you are gonna whip past those damn "Go Safe" vans :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was this no tax OP or failure to display?

Haven't displayed a tax disc on a bike in years but I always carry it on me.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sure you were only going to the shop to get butter.....you dont need tax :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

No one touched on this yet, why wasn't it taxed OP ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I dont think I've ever displayed my tax. I found it at home the other day in a big pile of documents. Maybe I should put it under the passenger seat - but would they still do you for Non Display?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar wrote: »
    I dont think I've ever displayed my tax. I found it at home the other day in a big pile of documents. Maybe I should put it under the passenger seat - but would they still do you for Non Display?

Have to catch you first!!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

For the sake of €88, is it really worth the hassle? They can take the bike off you and then you are looking at removal and storage fees. Not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Think youre missing the point there...;)

I'm just saying.....if the Gardai had spent the same amount of effort in finding that poor woman in Ashford as they did into that "bikes-only" checkpoint up the gap the weekend maybe that woman would still be alive.....just sayin....

Unless they put a Garda in every house in the country people will be murdered and even then they'd just commit the crime in a place that the Gardaí aren't stationed.

Or you could look at it the other way. If the OP, and all other road users, had been legal then the Gardaí wouldn't have to mount checkpoints to ensure that road users aren't breaking the law and could be out catching "real" "criminals" who are breaking the law!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seriously! 88 Euro! jesus i have two bikes fully taxed for 176 Euro. Its nothing.

Try paying 1811, for a car.

If you cant put 88 Euro tax disc on the bike well jesus man i worry about the maintenance on the bike. I dont see why anyone would bother not paying it.

listermint wrote: »
    Seriously! 88 Euro! jesus i have two bikes fully taxed for 176 Euro. Its nothing.

If you cant put 88 Euro tax disc on the bike well jesus man i worry about the maintenance on the bike. I dont see why anyone would bother not paying it.

Exactly, its more hassle not to pay it. It just doesn't add up ;)

jvan wrote: »
    I was given grief on Sunday just as you come into Blessington as it was out by 4 days? Usually been waved through like yourself.

Mine was out by a bit longer jvan, try 8 months out :rolleyes::o
    Lads you are all missing the point of taxing your bike!!

Its the handiest thing ever to cover up that plate for the times you are gonna whip past those damn "Go Safe" vans :p

Very good point goodlad, it was actually a friend of mine ( who happens to be a Garda ) , that told me the exact same thing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

KTR1C wrote: »
    No one touched on this yet, why wasn't it taxed OP ??
    Pataman wrote: »
    For the sake of €88, is it really worth the hassle? They can take the bike off you and then you are looking at removal and storage fees. Not worth it

KTR1C wrote: »
    Exactly, its more hassle not to pay it. It just doesn't add up ;)

Ehm, No tax on the bike at all Hotblack! To KTR1C, Pataman and Listermint .It was a case of not having the money than anything tbh. Had been working on the bike since the start of winter so never bothered taxing it as I knew it wouldn't be on the road much, and I could do with the money being put to buying parts etc. As said in original post, it was only my 3rd day out so I was just making sure all was good with the bike over the last few days and I had full intentions of taxing the bike as soon as I knew the bike was in good order and it would be back out on the road again, I knew that I would have to pay the arrears on the back tax also, it was just a matter of getting up the money. I know I'll get griefed about it only being €68 to tax it but it was on the cards! Its not easy to get hold of 70 quid when you're unemployed and still in school! Now I have an €80 fine to pay as-well.. All my own fault though! Not blaming anybody else, was stupid of me to go out without it taxed, even if it was just down the road ;)
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sure you were only going to the shop to get butter.....you dont need tax :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly! Sure we're even paying tax on the butter itself nowadays...:P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I had mine with the keys. Theyre technically on the bike so cops can bite you. Having said that I never got hassle for having it with keys and was told it's a good idea twice. Tax disc are stolen of bikes and put in cars cuz a bike has always tax since its cheap and is always for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Technically they could, but once it's taxed, it shouldn't really mattter. A radio check will confrim whether a bike is taxed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I carry my tax disc with my licence as I have had two tax discs taken of my bike.

I never had an issue with AGS when stopped at a check point regarding this, although the one time I was asked about it & explained, the Garda had no issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Maintenance is different, you're getting something for it. Tax looks like you're getting nothing for your money.
    Anyway, I pay it just so I don't get nervous about checkpoints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

DJDylan106 wrote: »

Exactly! Sure we're even paying tax on the butter itself nowadays...:P:rolleyes:

Did the garda say..."I cant believe its not taxed"..........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

jvan wrote: »

What do you mean by '4 days'. If your tax is up at the end of March, you have until April 30th to bring the tax up to date. Technically you don't go into an arrears situation until the 1st of May. Not a thing the Guard can do until then.

I keep mine in a little flat wallet thingy with my ATM card and drivers licence. Have actually never been asked for it in all the 15 years I've been driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

emeldc wrote: »
    What do you mean by '4 days'. If your tax is up at the end of March, you have until April 30th to bring the tax up to date. Technically you don't go into an arrears situation until the 1st of May. Not a thing the Guard can do until then.

It was out at the end of March, so he was giving me grief for it not being up to date. He was basically just being a pr!ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I never display mine - they just get stolen. Someone stole the one of our Blood Bike a couple of weeks ago as well.

If they want to know, they can a) ask me, or b) use ANPR - both will show it as taxed.

Met my first checkpoint in......5 ??...years on Tuesday last, as I rolled up his colleague had pulled and was checking a car, and he walked to the white line to meet me and said........'howya, keep goin, lovely day for the bike' :P

Btw, not taxing the bike is a false economy: the fine is virtually the cost of annual tax..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

galwaytt wrote: »
    Btw, not taxing the bike is a false economy: the fine is virtually the cost of annual tax..............

Just that. I carry the disc in my wallet. It's never been an issue at a checkpoint. If tax disc is on the bike it'll get nicked sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cienciano wrote: »
    Maintenance is different, you're getting something for it. Tax looks like you're getting nothing for your money.
    Anyway, I pay it just so I don't get nervous about checkpoints

88 Euro ...

Advertisement