Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    What they pay us on has nothing to do with the use of the label nor has bord bia any influence or control on the actual “bonus” payment.
    And the fact the selling point is that the inspections are focused on producers rather than beef processors is laughable!
    Given the precedence of the beef tribunal, and the horse meat scandal consumers can rest assured a bord bia label is infallible because of Mike from ballymacmuck with 40 cattle is one of the producers inspected as regularly as plant with a throughput of 400 cattle a day!

There's department personnel in the factories all the time, surely it's their responsibility.
    As you say Bord Bia just certify the farm. the factory decide how to use it, movements has nothing to do with Bord Bia,
    Nor age either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

As a department inspector said to me one day once the animal passes the scales the factory will do what they like with it & before that they will do all they can to knock the farmer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

For Non QA cattle he was another 380 ahead and that is if the processor was willing to pay same base for non QA cattle some processor's pay 10-20c lower base.

I not sure if these cattle would KO 58-60% off mart weight. The lighter ones would be 3-/= at best. The Gutty lad might only grade R-/=. He was probably dairy breeding nothing wrong with that as long as they have good weight gain.

O have seldom see a CH that would not carry more weight. However they can often be ok spec wise at 600kgs LW. There is no penalty for FS2+ when an animal is grading R- or better.

Neighbour took a pair of CH bullocks to the mart last September. They weighted 575kgs and were only making 1050. He refused to sell he was looking for 2/kg. He had a few.more as well heifers and Bullocks so fed them outside on 3kgs, silage and grass as long as they had it early December. The two he refused to sell killed around 360 and made 1430 net. The heifers netted about 1260 euro and an AA bullock made nearly 1300 euro. He slaughtered them before Christmas. He has another six to go yet
    You're right about being offered 10 to 20 cent less than base price, and that would probably be after they’d leave you waiting a few weeks and then tell you they’re doing you a favour by taking them off you.

I was assuming they were r grades and based on the fact that Albert said they’ve been getting lots of nuts all winter I’d be very disappointed with anything less than a 58% killout on mart weights. Well fed r grades should kill very close to that on they’re fresh weight or I’d be heading for a different factory. Either way if you want to take that as best case scenario then anything less than that only makes the prices better compared to what would be got in the factory so definitely it would have to classed as a good days selling.

I doubt if they'd kill out 58%-60% off mart weight either as they were only about 4 hours in the mart with an hours transport so they'd hardly be emptied out that much. The gutty lad was suckler bred but he was big in the middle and more like a cow than a bullock when it came to confirmation. Maybe I was being overly harsh on him but I'd still consider him the poorest quality of the bunch.

I agree that most CHx would be fit to take more feeding and oftentimes it's fit rather than fat that's the deciding factor. However imo this lad was a right sort of a bullock and I'd reckon you could feed him until June and he'd still be okay fat wise. Tbh I thought he'd have closed nearer to the €1700 given what the first bullock made but I still wasn't complaining.

Without seeing your neighbours bullocks that was poor money in September for them at that weight. I'm assuming they were still under age and had sufficient time left to slaughter? I'd consider €2 a kilo the minimum price for average continental stores at any time and I'd be hoping for another 10 or 15 cents with it.
    It’s surprising what they will lose on a day in the mart, anything up to 8% of their weight.

A neighbour here brought stock to a fat stock sale in Tullamore last August, it was on a Thursday. He had weighed them all with his new scales the Saturday before and was already counting the money! He got an awful shock when they stood on the scales in the mart. A U+ grade limousine heifer was 650kgs in his yard and 605 at the mart, 2 R-/R+ Charlaois averaging 720 on the yard averaged 670 in the mart. He’d a few bullocks as well and the same story, 40 to 50 kgs less on them type of weights. About 7% of a weight loss. I’m not sure exactly how long they were standing around but it wasn’t a massive sale so I’d expect it wouldn’t have been any more than 5 or 6 hours.

Another man local here is in the process of looking for calibration certs for both a scales he rented to weigh his stock for the beam scheme and a scales where he sold his bulls as he can’t believe the difference in weights between the 2. Unfortunately that’s just the way it is, when you open the trailer at the mart the first thing you see is all the s**t on the floor, that had to come from somewhere!!

For anyone with a scales try it the next time your going to the mart or if you’re passing a co-op or somewhere on the way pull in and weigh the full load and weigh the empty on the way home and work it out. But only do it the once, otherwise you’ll just torment yourself thinking of the money you should have got!

DBK1 wrote: »
    It’s surprising what they will lose on a day in the mart, anything up to 8% of their weight.

A neighbour here brought stock to a fat stock sale in Tullamore last August, it was on a Thursday. He had weighed them all with his new scales the Saturday before and was already counting the money! He got an awful shock when they stood on the scales in the mart. A U+ grade limousine heifer was 650kgs in his yard and 605 at the mart, 2 R-/R+ Charlaois averaging 720 on the yard averaged 670 in the mart. He’d a few bullocks as well and the same story, 40 to 50 kgs less on them type of weights. About 7% of a weight loss. I’m not sure exactly how long they were standing around but it wasn’t a massive sale so I’d expect it wouldn’t have been any more than 5 or 6 hours.

Another man local here is in the process of looking for calibration certs for both a scales he rented to weigh his stock for the beam scheme and a scales where he sold his bulls as he can’t believe the difference in weights between the 2. Unfortunately that’s just the way it is, when you open the trailer at the mart the first thing you see is all the s**t on the floor, that had to come from somewhere!!

For anyone with a scales try it the next time your going to the mart or if you’re passing a co-op or somewhere on the way pull in and weigh the full load and weigh the empty on the way home and work it out. But only do it the once, otherwise you’ll just torment yourself thinking of the money you should have got!

We did it here with lambs, they lost between 1 and 4kgs in six hours, average 2 kgs, I just laugh when I hear guys giving out about scales in factories after weighing lambs full in the evening

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    We did it here with lambs, they lost between 1 and 4kgs in six hours, average 2 kgs, I just laugh when I hear guys giving out about scales in factories after weighing lambs full in the evening
    What weight would the lambs have been in your yard, 40 to 45kgs? If so that’s anything from 2.5 to 10% loss or averaging about 5%.

It is frustrating for lads when they discover this is the case. It’s one of the reasons I’d be very slow to buy stock privately. Lads want top mart prices based on a yard weight, it makes stock very dear.

What weight would the lambs have been in your yard, 40 to 45kgs? If so that’s anything from 2.5 to 10% loss or averaging about 5%.

It is frustrating for lads when they discover this is the case. It’s one of the reasons I’d be very slow to buy stock privately. Lads want top mart prices based on a yard weight, it makes stock very dear.

We get bonuses based on grade and heavily penalised for being overweight.
    So we leave the lambs in the yard for four or five hrs before weighing to get an accurate weight

You don’t get penalise, you just gift the ffckwrs free meat!

You don't have to sell them the heavy ones,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I agree about what they can potentially loose from when weighed full at home to empty after a day at the mart. However I'd expect cattle sold in small sales this time of year to not suffer as much weight loss as those traded during the peak season. Those bullocks were only a few a hours in the mart and probably wouldn't have been packed as tight in the pens or mixed with other cattle as when dealing with a full yard of stock. Stress leads to weight loss and susceptibility to illness, take weanlings bought from big sales in the autumn as an example.

Scale calibration also has an impact. Take it that a mart scales in a busy sale could have several hundred animal's passing over it. During the course of the sale the scale will get dirtied, all this is extra weight and oftentimes the scales is set a bit light to counteract this. As you said above you'd be better not get too bogged down in all that or you'd only be annoying yourself wondering.

I agree about what they can potentially loose from when weighed full at home to empty after a day at the mart. However I'd expect cattle sold in small sales this time of year to not suffer as much weight loss as those traded during the peak season. Those bullocks were only a few a hours in the mart and probably wouldn't have been packed as tight in the pens or mixed with other cattle as when dealing with a full yard of stock. Stress leads to weight loss and susceptibility to illness, take weanlings bought from big sales in the autumn as an example.

Scale calibration also has an impact. Take it that a mart scales in a busy sale could have several hundred animal's passing over it. During the course of the sale the scale will get dirtied, all this is extra weight and oftentimes the scales is set a bit light to counteract this. As you said above you'd be better not get too bogged down in all that or you'd only be annoying yourself wondering.
    Yea agreed, it definitely wouldn’t have been as hard a day on them as a day in a busy mart in October would.

To get back to the starting point, I think your uncle should be happy enough, he definitely done a lot better than he would have in the factory.

• Advertisement

Yea agreed, it definitely wouldn’t have been as hard a day on them as a day in a busy mart in October would.

To get back to the starting point, I think your uncle should be happy enough, he definitely done a lot better than he would have in the factory.

All things considered I thought it was a successful day out. There was 6 bullocks in that group originally, 1 of them went as a reactor in September. The reactor was a comrade of the 3 lighter bullocks and would have weighed similar to them all along. He was valued at €1100 (somewhere around 480-500kg) and I thought it a fair price at the time so the remaining ones did well in the intervening 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I doubt if they'd kill out 58%-60% off mart weight either as they were only about 4 hours in the mart with an hours transport so they'd hardly be emptied out that much. The gutty lad was suckler bred but he was big in the middle and more like a cow than a bullock when it came to confirmation. Maybe I was being overly harsh on him but I'd still consider him the poorest quality of the bunch.

I agree that most CHx would be fit to take more feeding and oftentimes it's fit rather than fat that's the deciding factor. However imo this lad was a right sort of a bullock and I'd reckon you could feed him until June and he'd still be okay fat wise. Tbh I thought he'd have closed nearer to the €1700 given what the first bullock made but I still wasn't complaining.

Without seeing your neighbours bullocks that was poor money in September for them at that weight. I'm assuming they were still under age and had sufficient time left to slaughter? I'd consider €2 a kilo the minimum price for average continental stores at any time and I'd be hoping for another 10 or 15 cents with it.

The agents buying heavy bullocks like that are often trying to get cattle into a price/kg to get them put on the market. What happens after that depends on demand. The cuts from heavy bullocks are not really suitable for the UK market. While you are right and the DW difference on them might not be reflected in the mart price the competition for them would not have been as strong as for the lighter cattle. Some if those lighter made the equivalent of up on 4.2/kg it a base of 4/kg.

The reason is that if they had enough flesh they were suitable for the UK market. Going back to the real heavy bullock he had one great attribute. In that he seemed to have a good daily weight gain. If you are operating a mainly grass based system daily weight Giannis where it is at. Grass is cheap

Slava Ukrainii

Small producers trying to get a batch of lambs together at near enough the full weight always end up gifting meat.

Rightly or wrongly i was just clarifying your point on the cartels lamb price specifications.

If they don't want a lot of heavy lambs they have to penalise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any body see br fr type cows circa 700 to 740 kgs selling. Have a few here. Reckon they'd carry another 50 to 80 kgs to factory finish.

Big lengthy type so plenty of scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Was watching Carrigallen online tonight with springing heifers making crazy money for very shapely heifers. Is there something I am missing about the future of suckler cows going forward at the price of beef across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was watching Carrigallen online tonight with springing heifers making crazy money for very shapely heifers. Is there something I am missing about the future of suckler cows going forward at the price of beef across Europe.

No nothing you are missing. IMO it's lock down savings. No money being spent on holidays cars etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Was watching it too, there was a 6yr old cow (I think6 anyway?) with a strong bull calf at foot, thought her a grand price in comparison.
    Didn't like many of the heifers, too heavy, too old. There was a wee BB born sept/Oct 18 that would have been the one I'd have taken.

Was only thinking there, if you were at that selling show heifers game & got all scanned before sale, would they be tempted to keep the ones incalf to heifers & sell the bulls????

Was watching it too, there was a 6yr old cow (I think6 anyway?) with a strong bull calf at foot, thought her a grand price in comparison.
    Didn't like many of the heifers, too heavy, too old. There was a wee BB born sept/Oct 18 that would have been the one I'd have taken.

Was only thinking there, if you were at that selling show heifers game & got all scanned before sale, would they be tempted to keep the ones incalf to heifers & sell the bulls????

I often noticed that a cow and calf would make similar money to a comparable springer. A lot of lads have a fixation with buying incalf heifers where as they wouldn't look at a cow and calf even though there often far better value especially when there's a strong calf at foot and maybe back incalf again.

As for keeping the heifers it would largely depend on whether you were prepared to keep the resulting calves for maybe the best part of 3 years before sale. A lot of fellas I see at the springer game buy strong heifers that are fit to bull straight away. At least this way your usually less than 12 months away from resale and hopefully a profit. Take it if you wanted to sell 50 springers a year and bought them as weanlings you'd have 100-150 cattle for most of the year (weanlings, maiden's and springers) and even more cattle if you bred them yourself. Also I'd imagine the first calf out of most show type heifers wouldn't be there greatest breeding potential as you'd be going for a less extreme easier calved bull compared to what you'd put on mature cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I often noticed that a cow and calf would make similar money to a comparable springer. A lot of lads have a fixation with buying incalf heifers where as they wouldn't look at a cow and calf even though there often far better value especially when there's a strong calf at foot and maybe back incalf again.

As for keeping the heifers it would largely depend on whether you were prepared to keep the resulting calves for maybe the best part of 3 years before sale. A lot of fellas I see at the springer game buy strong heifers that are fit to bull straight away. At least this way your usually less than 12 months away from resale and hopefully a profit. Take it if you wanted to sell 50 springers a year and bought them as weanlings you'd have 100-150 cattle for most of the year (weanlings, maiden's and springers) and even more cattle if you bred them yourself. Also I'd imagine the first calf out of most show type heifers wouldn't be there greatest breeding potential as you'd be going for a less extreme easier calved bull compared to what you'd put on mature cows.

True, was just a fleeting thought that crossed my mind. Even if you were only getting middling heifer calves, that'd nearly have a bit of shape to them regardless off those sort of heifers.
    Be a bad sort to do it, but there's plenty of those about. Lets say they had 50 to sell, scanned & kept 20 with heifers. Less worry at calving & then keep on the best heifer calves for breeding & others to sell at fatstock weanling sale or whatever.

I'm probably just raving, wouldn't be anything new!!:D

kk.man wrote: »
    No nothing you are missing. IMO it's lock down savings. No money being spent on holidays cars etc.

Wonder will they have money left to pay the vet to open the door for the calf and buy the bags of milk replacer to feed the calf if a live, a good few of them were due in 3 weeks and no springing at all and fat as fools.

• Advertisement

True, was just a fleeting thought that crossed my mind. Even if you were only getting middling heifer calves, that'd nearly have a bit of shape to them regardless off those sort of heifers.
    Be a bad sort to do it, but there's plenty of those about. Lets say they had 50 to sell, scanned & kept 20 with heifers. Less worry at calving & then keep on the best heifer calves for breeding & others to sell at fatstock weanling sale or whatever.

I'm probably just raving, wouldn't be anything new!!:D

I couldn't see why it wouldn't work as you've outlined although you'd soon be found out. Not that you were doing anything especially wrong but nothing stays secret for long in the cattle business.

I've often thought of doing something similar with ewes, scan them and only keep the doubles and cash in the singles and triplets. If you were cute enough to mark them in a way that didn't denote what they were carrying you'd probably do even better. A single and a triplet bearing ewe could be matched up and they'd still be carrying "4" lambs. You'd hopefully have the most productive and easiest managed sheep kept while getting a good price for the harder managed one's. There's a lot to be said for being busy and not having time to come up with get rich quick schemes.

And guaranteed 5 weeks incalf !!!!, didn’t seem to have a great udder to her. The auctioneer was very slow taking up to 5 minutes a lot to sell and all day dropping the hammer. What time would he have finished selling tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Know a fella that bought at Walter Brennan's sale , paid over 9000 for 2 heifers, one had a roan calf the other was red , both bulls .
    Another man paid 1800 for a browny type with. A white splash on her head , one of the cheaper heifers, has one of the finest red roan heifers calf u cud ask for

And guaranteed 5 weeks incalf !!!!, didn’t seem to have a great udder to her. The auctioneer was very slow taking up to 5 minutes a lot to sell and all day dropping the hammer. What time would he have finished selling tonight.

Was it MM selling I wonder? A complete gentleman and a very fair auctioneer but we always reckoned you could open a beast, go out for a p!ss and get a mineral from the canteen and still be back in time to get in before the fall of the hammer. He'd be rattling away and finally all set to hammer them and suddenly "nd bid nd bid nd bid €5" and he'd be off again. Seriously though a nicer and more approachable man for both buyer and seller you couldn't hope to meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was it MM selling I wonder? A complete gentleman and a very fair auctioneer but we always reckoned you could open a beast, go out for a p!ss and get a mineral from the canteen and still be back in time to get in before the fall of the hammer. He'd be rattling away and finally all set to hammer them and suddenly "nd bid nd bid nd bid €5" and he'd be off again. Seriously though a nicer and more approachable man for both buyer and seller you couldn't hope to meet.

Yea nice man
    he aims for a fair start then down in €50’s and back up in €5’s
    Listening for a few mins, it sounded like Gafney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yea nice man
    he aims for a fair start then down in €50’s and back up in €5’s
    Listening for a few mins, it sounded like Gafney
    Yes, it was Gaffney and if I was the seller I think he did a fine job selling them. He held out to the last and gave everyone a chance to come back in. They wouldn't be the stock that I'd buy but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Good trade for 500kg+ Angus cattle so far this week in southern marts. Equivalent of €4.30/kg being achieved easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Good trade for 500kg+ Angus cattle so far this week in southern marts. Equivalent of €4.30/kg being achieved easily.

4.30 itself be within reach in factory atm with all bonuses included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I see Tom mc carthys leaving Cork marts.

• Advertisement

A bit of a stretch to get there with O- or O= which would be what I'm talking about.

5 leggy narrow shoulder but lumpy fat 620kg 1390€ on Saturday in carnew

A very generous kill out of 54% (I’d really expect 52) has 334kg. €4.16 a kg.
    Let a mortal book them into the cartel @€;3.8 assume o= and no overfats.(again I’d expect o- and 4+ or 5s)
    €3.82 including bord bia +another .10 for Angus €3.92. €1309 with the wind in their sails. The mart is the answer at the moment.

Anyone with lsl tune in on Saturday for real fireworks.

I had it at around €80 better off in the mart too.

5 leggy narrow shoulder but lumpy fat 620kg 1390€ on Saturday in carnew

A very generous kill out of 54% (I’d really expect 52) has 334kg. €4.16 a kg.
    Let a mortal book them into the cartel @€;3.8 assume o= and no overfats.(again I’d expect o- and 4+ or 5s)
    €3.82 including bord bia +another .10 for Angus €3.92. €1309 with the wind in their sails. The mart is the answer at the moment.

Anyone with lsl tune in on Saturday for real fireworks.

3.85 base and 10 cent in donegal if right weight adds another 50 to that. Leaves them 30 behind. Down to the factory buyerr on the day to give the extra. Fortnight before Christmas I had bullocks out, the northern factory buyers werent in carnaross that day Noticeable price difference that week. Factory worked better than carnaross with 100 each per animal more in the factory that night when I took them on myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

On FJ website behind paywall Mart Manager in Bandon Skibb moving on.... Interesting times ahead with Maurice...

3.80 is all a neighbour can get in the south east this week. What would you suppose the weight loss/transport would be on cattle from the south east to Donegal?

Enough to make a difference I imagine alright, but being awkward, yous must have better factory buyers down there than up here on the border. Factory quotes is just under to just over mart price here atm in this area.

The northern buyers are putting the pressure on. But those cattle went to Abp Waterford buyer.Either straight to kill or to feed I don’t know. Not often they fall out and any tip of balance of numbers and it won’t last I’m sure.

Thats true. Hope it keeps going.

• Advertisement

The FR bull calf trade is going to be interesting in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »

How have they been going the last couple of weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As will any calves. A 330 kg DW AA bullock has been making between 1225 and 1310 all this Autumn depending on grading and the way the prices were going. Ration is up over 50/ ton on last year. A 250 kg DW AA heifer is not much over 1k at present and she be a good heifer at that Giving rising costs you want them well done at 3-4 weeks for free to make any sort of margin.

Slava Ukrainii

Grueller wrote: »
    How have they been going the last couple of weeks?
    Prices are good but I'm basing that on the first sale that I watched from Carrigallen mart last Saturday. Suck FR bull calves were making from €100 to €190 and that was for calves from 14 days old up. The better quality square calves were up at the top prices. I reckon that they were bought by farmers to rear as opposed to going for export.

As will any calves. A 330 kg DW AA bullock has been making between 1225 and 1310 all this Autumn depending on grading and the way the prices were going. Ration is up over 50/ ton on last year. A 250 kg DW AA heifer is not much over 1k at present and she be a good heifer at that Giving rising costs you want them well done at 3-4 weeks for free to make any sort of margin.
    I can't remember was it Teagasc or some other learned organisation that published an article a couple of years ago stating that the farmer selling a FR/FRx bull calf would have to hand over €50 (could have been more) to the buyer along with the calf. TBH I think we are starting to head into that phase - it's going to be either something like that or increased culling. IMO in the near future the dairy farmer is going to have to supplement the sale of dairy bull calves like they had to do during the height of the BSE crises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I see Tom mc Carthy leaving Cork marts.

Yup, supposed to be moving to an Insurance Company that has a team targeting the Farm insurance Sector.
    No harm to shake up the Farm Insurance Sector & put in some level of competition, They might even deliver better value for the Farmer...............
    Tho i await to be amazed .

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I can't remember was it Teagasc or some other learned organisation that published an article a couple of years ago stating that the farmer selling a FR/FRx bull calf would have to hand over €50 (could have been more) to the buyer along with the calf. TBH I think we are starting to head into that phase - it's going to be either something like that or increased culling. IMO in the near future the dairy farmer is going to have to supplement the sale of dairy bull calves like they had to do during the height of the BSE crises.

That won't happen until beef farmers stop buying those calves.
    Why would dairy men supplement when the beef man is perfectly happy paying through the nose for a worthless friesian calf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Watched a bit of the calves in Carnaross last Monday, BB calves around €400, BWH calves €300, AA calves €250 add. Good square Fr €100 - €150 with the poor ones around €50, there was no value in any of them.
    But what I did see was a nice few Sep / Oct 2020 FR bull that were nice cattle and seems square enough at around €250.
    They would be ready for the grass when it comes and lick of meal would be good cattle next back end so would be better value than the month old calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

richie123 wrote: »
    That won't happen until beef farmers stop buying those calves.
    Why would dairy men supplement when the beef man is perfectly happy paying through the nose for a worthless friesian calf

We are listening to this for years. Friesian bulls are worth nothing, they may be shot when they are born etc. But every year lads lose the plot and buy away at them no matter what the price.

Mallon is going to start exporting calves so a new man may add competition to the market as long as the veal trade opens up in Europe although he is going for the better quality FR bull for the Spanish market.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    We are listening to this for years. Friesian bulls are worth nothing, they may be shot when they are born etc. But every year lads lose the plot and buy away at them no matter what the price.

But sure they're happy doing that.. therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have a few fresian cows for the Mart tomorrow. 550 kgs. 10yrs old. Roughly what do I expect. Would it pay to fatten. Say 2.50 a day, for 100 days that's 250 Euro to fatten them for May. Would it leave a margin

I have a few fresian cows for the Mart tomorrow. 550 kgs. 10yrs old. Roughly what do I expect. Would it pay to fatten. Say 2.50 a day, for 100 days that's 250 Euro to fatten them for May. Would it leave a margin

If they're fleshy mart all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

No relative of the Liffey meats Frank Mallon?

Son

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

QUOTE=Jjameson;115993943]A square growth fr bull at €100 to €150 wouldn’t look a disaster to a guy after getting €1100 odd for lads less than 2’year old but yes the reared lads all the way for me at that..[/QUOTE]

I might average €1100 odd at 30 months - but nothing like that at 'less than 24 months'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement