Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Jjameson wrote: »
    A 550 fr cow is unlikely to be fleshy bar she’s a dwarf!

Lots of fleshy fre cows out there tullamore mart was full of them yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Offloaded a few culls this morning

Lmx 785kg 1410
    Aax 780 kg 1330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

50HX wrote: »
    Offloaded a few culls this morning

Lmx 785kg 1410
    Aax 780 kg 1330

Good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

nearly 500 cows in Gortatlea today if I read the catalogue right...and only the 1 ring, god help the heifers and bullocks waiting to be sold later

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Dozer1 wrote: »
    nearly 500 cows in Gortatlea today if I read the catalogue right...and only the 1 ring, god help the heifers and bullocks waiting to be sold later

All culls?? How many of those were the Marts cows :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Dozer1 wrote: »

It's a serious yard of cows before you even start the rest of the sale, would the bullocks and heifers be penned from the morning time? That amount of cows would up a big area of pens and although I've never been in Gortalea I assumed it wasn't a huge setup. If the young cattle were only being taken in and penned towards the end of the cow sale it wouldn't be any different from any other mart as regards time spent in the mart.

A lot also depends on the auctioneer and some lad's make harder work of it than others. Gortatlea have a serious man to get through stock judging by his performance in a mart local to me. It's still some undertaking but I used to frequent marts that would take up on 3 hours to sell 50 odd cow's with the messing that used to take place. At work yesterday there was 450 weanlings all sold singly through the one ring and it was all over in a little along with 6 hour's. There's other places would knock the same time out of half that amount.

Grueller wrote: »
    Good prices

Yeah was happy with them

Got sold early thank God, some numbers thru gortatlea today

He really needs 2 rings on the go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJwKHTeM/

This is where the some of the bulls to Turkey windup. Very pleasantly surprised.

Often a lot of the bad press given these export markets is people with an agenda. They manage to get outlier videos and show these as total facts

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yeah was happy with them

Got sold early thank God, some numbers thru gortatlea today

He really needs 2 rings on the go
    I often watch their sales online and as I posted previously I think it's a great mart.

How come they don't have another ring, is it due to not having enough space to build one. I've never been to the mart but I would like to go there for a jaunt when the Covid is over.

• Advertisement

Often a lot of the bad press given these export markets is people with an agenda. They manage to get outlier videos and show these as total facts
    I agree with you to a point but the same export destinations are not bound/regulated to the same or anything simular to the animal welfare standards that we accept as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

He's built a load of new pens this year so maybe he'll add a ring next year...sales there next week will be huge I'd say

Base price wrote: »
    I often watch their sales online and as I posted previously I think it's a great mart.

How come they don't have another ring, is it due to not having enough space to build one. I've never been to the mart but I would like to go there for a jaunt when the Covid is over.

I don't know why another ring hasn't been added

Bullock are still selling now, some day since 10am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mauty is splitting next week in 2,cows Thursday rest on Friday.
    Just for the anniversary sale.

Saw that advertised alright

Dunno how the locals are sticking the traffic there, must be getting g some Xmas present:D

I don't know why another ring hasn't been added

Bullock are still selling now, some day since 10am
    I remember watching a weanling sale one night last Autumn and I quit and headed to bed a 12.30am. I saw a post on here where it went onto 3am.

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Mauty is splitting next week in 2,cows Thursday rest on Friday.
    Just for the anniversary sale.
    What is the anniversary sale. I saw it advertised on lsl for next week and the week after.

Base price wrote: »
    I remember watching a weanling sale one night last Autumn and I quit and headed to bed a 12.30am. I saw a post on here where it went onto 3am.

Took weanlings there one year, 10am sold my bulls, 1am sitting into the tractor after selling the heifers.......never again

It'd work a lot better only runners could go on for 2 hours first.....not ideal with a 6pm start

Evening sale suits the part timers though

Move the runners to a calf sale and t would be a big help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

Took weanlings there one year, 10am sold my bulls, 1am sitting into the tractor after selling the heifers.......never again

It'd work a lot better only runners could go on for 2 hours first.....not ideal with a 6pm start

Evening sale suits the part timers though

Move the runners to a calf sale and t would be a big help
    Yea it’s a long night on stock. They moved the start time back to 5 now but the numbers selling there are growing all the time so it still ended up with a few 2 and 3am finishes.

There probably wasn’t the numbers there before now to justify the cost of a second ring, there would have only been a few big sales a year and then back to a normal enough 9 or 10pm finish. But in the last 2 years or so the sales are much bigger and they really need the second ring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Where are you getting the grades from, surely continental cattle like them are going to be good U grades?

Fair enough but i would have thought that 3yr old CH bullocks making around a grand along with their weight would be better than R- or R= grades.

I see on ICBF that a Saler X Lim bullock i sold in Autumn 19 killed out recently at 32 months as a U=

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Fair enough but i would have thought that 3yr old CH bullocks making around a grand along with their weight would be better than R- or R= grades.

I see on ICBF that a Saler X Lim bullock i sold in Autumn 19 killed out recently at 32 months as a U=

1k with the weight on a 500kg animal is 3/kg on an 800kg animal its is 2.25/kg

Slava Ukrainii

1k with the weight on a 500kg animal is 3/kg on an 800kg animal its is 2.25/kg

Yeah, i know how to count.

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, i know how to count.

A lot of peoples think that every CH or LM will grade U if you pike the weight on them. However while along the West cost where a lot of lads use AI to achieve a high prices weanling this is not true of all the country. A lot of lads who are on better type land any either sell them as stores or carry to finish run an easy calving Ch bull with cows which ate often off dairy stock. A lot of these types if stock will not exceed R+. As well you will have a lot of dairy bred CH's along the East cost as well. Again they will not travel beyond R=.

Jam is mean with his grading he worse than any factory machine at time.

Slava Ukrainii

It’s not really what grade you think an animal is anymore, you have to guess what the monkey in Larries machine is going to call them!

Correction. Give that monkey its full title, "the independently calibrated and monitored monkey in Larry's machine".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Anyone at Bally bay heifer sale yesterday or any reports on prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Carnew today. 40th fatstock show day.
    R =grade well finished bb feb18 912kg €2000.
    R =grade char feb18 862kg €1880
    R- grade char dec17 782kg €1730
    O= grade AA dec18 878kg €1790
    R= well finished char jan 19 712k €1540
    U (hard to say if fat) pt may 19 652. Kg €1600

Seen a lot of them good bullocks going through the ring and were mostly U grade cattle and were going up the country for slaughter and serious store bullocks sold as well.

Where do you kill your cattle?
    U grades are like lesser spotted matter jack toads on kill sheets nowadays!

Even when I was at bulls R+/U,s graded about 50/50 on the suckler cattle. Now I wasN't spending all day around a ring buying a few specific bulls. With bullocks its even harder to achieve ''U''s got one this year nearly fell off the chair reading the sheet. Two companions graded O+ so a Larry more than got his own back

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone at Bally bay heifer sale yesterday or any reports on prices?

Lot of prices on their Snapchat ballybaymart20 is username

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Lot of prices on their Snapchat ballybaymart20 is username

Thanks, I had a snoop around there now. I thought it was being pushed as a more show type sale but there doesn’t seem to be that many nice breeders going by the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Where do you kill your cattle?
    U grades are like lesser spotted matter jack toads on kill sheets nowadays!

Kepak and Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Grueller wrote: »
    Correction. Give that monkey its full title, "the independently calibrated and monitored monkey in Larry's machine".

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/naughten-grading-machines-getting-it-wrong-on-over-4-out-of-10-cattle/

I'm sure it would cost Larry millions to rectify this (from both angles) and get more accurate 'monkey's'.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

The machines are fine. They should be under the remit of the NSAI to ensure accuracy and consistency.

That's exactly it. We've a rule down here overfat cattle go to one road, cattle that are shy another.

Funnily I'd always find the ABP factory's the kindest regarding grading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

That's exactly it. We've a rule down here overfat cattle go to one road, cattle that are shy another.

Which one is which, Duke?

Same as that here. Certain cattle are suited to certain places and sometimes the factory offering the worst price per kg can turn out to be the highest price per animal when they’re hanging up.

Grading improved in Slaney after the maith an fear takeover and throughput reduced. They boning hall was operating too fast and carelessly. The Eastern European labour swopped for cheaper South American. The line in Icm now resembles something out of a columbian prison movie,the marketing man reputedly left after 21 years of having to deal with going dread/depressing uneasy atmosphere.
    Abp Waterford had a man stabbed in the shoulder a few years back, missing his neck by inches!
    42 covid cases in slaney today. Business as usual. What other company would you see it?
    Grading in all factories has definitely improved in the last year or more (dare I say it coincides with the finish of the protests!) Any cattle I’ve killed since then I’ve always been pleasantly surprised with the grading and I’ve used 3 different factories during the year.

Crazy that any premises could be operating with that amount of cases, especially when you compare that to the Australia putting a compulsory quarantine on anyone arriving from New Zealand for the next 72 hours after New Zealand had their first case in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The whole issue of meat processing namely staffing, covid regulation, staff recruitment and special allowances regarding flights is
    immune from torchlight of investigative journalism for some reason.

Media as ever setting the agenda & taking their pick on what to focus on.they could have single handedly got schools reopened for special needs children last week if they had any moral compass.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Some property owners letting shared accommodations for these poor divils are social pariahs in the area now, what hope would they have. Some chaps with no English looking for “ivomec” in town today to reputedly to self medicate “dog”..
    Wasn’t there some article about this in the spring? Is that their thinking?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

https://thatsfarming.com/beef/fatstock-sale-bullocks-carnew/?amp=1

I don't understand the economics of these sales?
    Help me understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Take the show cattle with a pinch of salt... although I think the champion may have been a genuine sale but to get his name read out. A lot of lines would struggle with a 600 odd kg carcass and I don’t know what a cartel plant would give you for an E this weight. The fat cattle were generally 50 to 150 over the odds at 3.80 on anything I noted.
    The champion looked like he could have done with more feeding imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

He got plenty of that from day one! Home bred. Been on the show circuit from a weanling. I seen him on the hoof, good brisket and codd on him.

I don't doubt it but thought there was some room left there in the ribs. I am going on the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He got plenty of that from day one! Home bred. Been on the show circuit from a weanling. I seen him on the hoof, good brisket and codd on him.

Was that the fella on the Late Late?

Was that the fella on the Late Late?

No that lad was second and was a long way behind the champion imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold 15 bull weanlings last night. Averaged 950 for around 340kg.
    3 handy shapey yellow charolais 320kg 990 probably the best price of the bundle, I was in 2 minds whether to bring them or not because I thought they were too handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

3 handy shapey yellow charolais 320kg 990 probably the best price of the bundle, I was in 2 minds whether to bring them or not because I thought they were too handy.

Very good, did they get much meal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Fair play - good money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

What would LMX heifers coming 2 year old weighing approx. 460-490 make in the mart these days.
    Have a few here and silage stocks depleting rapidly so thinking of selling some rather than buying silage/hay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

josephsoap wrote: »
    Very good, did they get much meal ?

Were outliers on 3kg and silage since mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Omallep2

Were outliers on 3kg and silage since mid November.

Outliers always sell better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Some change in a week. Dry cows were good last Friday in skibbereen. Back 150 Euro a head today. Any one know why. There must be an outside buyer last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sami23 wrote: »
    What would LMX heifers coming 2 year old weighing approx. 460-490 make in the mart these days.
    Have a few here and silage stocks depleting rapidly so thinking of selling some rather than buying silage/hay

I would have said around the €1100 mark, mind i have'nt been to a mart in 5 or 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement