Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

Sad too see a college with 550 acres could not have 50 acres for suckers 50 acres for calf to beef and 50 acres for the sheep or something like that
    :mad::mad:it really is a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

QA1 wrote: »
    Sad too see a college with 550 acres could not have 50 acres for suckers 50 acres for calf to beef and 50 acres for the sheep or something like that
    :mad::mad:it really is a disgrace

I think they had pigs and chickens one time as well. They still have sheep. Did not know they had that much land

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

I think they had pigs and chickens one time as well. They still have sheep. Did not know they had that much land

Don’t forget the 🦃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Students with an interest in suckler's are better off without that interest

That's the truth too:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

2 Apr/May belted Galloway heifers....178kg’s - €990. I know breed I’m buying next :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    2 Apr/May belted Galloway heifers....178kg’s - €990. I know breed I’m buying next :D

The online bidding has really opened up the market for niche type stock especially if there advertised beforehand. Previously you were dependent on the customers that turned up on the day and one or two extra interested parties or lack of could make all the difference. Now with social media you can advertise and whoever is interested can buy remotely without ever setting foot in the locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I was on the phone to him while they were selling, he was roaring them on like a horse going for the finish line at the Galway races :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was in the slatted house giving nuts to my bucket fed AA yearlings. A neighbour call in for a chat. Not a farmer. Spotless car, cloths, shoes, civil servant. He asked what are they worth, I said maybe 700. The conversation shifted to his Labrador having 9 pups. Unthinking I said that if he couldn't find homes, I'd take one for the yun fullow. He then said he's asking 15 a piece. I said that's grand. He then said 1500. Well if I was ever sick of rearing calfs. 3 would buy a pup

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Bought as pets presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I was in the slatted house giving nuts to my bucket fed AA yearlings. A neighbour call in for a chat. Not a farmer. Spotless car, cloths, shoes, civil servant. He asked what are they worth, I said maybe 700. The conversation shifted to his Labrador having 9 pups. Unthinking I said that if he couldn't find homes, I'd take one for the yun fullow. He then said he's asking 15 a piece. I said that's grand. He then said 1500. Well if I was ever sick of rearing calfs. 3 would buy a pup

Bloody madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Student teacher that was with us had 13 golden retrievers for sale before Christmas.2100 for dogs and. 2200 for bitches and turned people away.

Made more money than the turf and cattle combined.

You’d be scratching your head. When I heard it, I said the boom is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

josephsoap wrote: »
    Bought as pets presumably?

Maybe not.
    If they are as easy a breed as people say, you’d have low input for minimum stocking rate.

They are supposed to be popular in Mayo... reckon they would struggle in Ennis for that price if no online sales.

A man told me a similar story about his twin son and daughter using there communion money to buy a heifer weanling and a bitch Shih-tzu pup. Seemingly they both cost similar amounts when purchased and of course he reckoned the daughter was a lunatic paying that for a pet.

A few years later the heifer had produced one average calf and failed to go back incalf where as the dog had reared 4 pups and was carrying her second litter. The pups each made as much as an average weanling and needed no investment in tractors, machinery, slatted sheds and contractor cost's. He reckoned the daughter had more of return in both finance and satisfaction out of the dog than he and his son had out of a shed full of suckler's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

A man told me a similar story about his twin son and daughter using there communion money to buy a heifer weanling and a bitch Shih-tzu pup. Seemingly they both cost similar amounts when purchased and of course he reckoned the daughter was a lunatic paying that for a pet.

A few years later the heifer had produced one average calf and failed to go back incalf where as the dog had reared 4 pups and was carrying her second litter. The pups each made as much as an average weanling and needed no investment in tractors, machinery, slatted sheds and contractor cost's. He reckoned the daughter had more of return in both finance and satisfaction out of the dog than he and his son had out of a shed full of suckler's.

But yet they’ll keep on the sucklers/cattle like the rest of us to avoid being stuck in the house during the long winter evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    But yet they’ll keep on the sucklers/cattle like the rest of us to avoid being stuck in the house during the long winter evenings.
    That's why they are beef barons too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any demand yet for hairy out wintered yearlings?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

It would be a bit early locally but you're a good bit further south so perhaps there'd be men on the lookout for grass cattle atm. I always found that summer grazer's never really came out in force until around Patrick's day and this was weather dependent. If you got a few good spring days it always seemed to leave cattle a bit dearer this time of year imo. Listening to wind, rain and sleet banging on the roof never filled lad's with confidence when around the ringside. We've had lots of rain this week and last night and this morning was torrential, so anyone looking for stock will probably leave it off for another few day's after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Totally washed out here in Cork. I'd bring out the hairy babies, around Easter, should sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

blue5000 wrote: »

Cattle or dogs????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

essgee268 wrote: »
    Cattle or dogs????
    Just thinking about the pups for 1500, he’s selling to the end user, no middle men unlike us selling to Larry then Aldi have to take a cut too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Mo Chaire, I have a 24 month old LMX heifer that broke into a neighbouring farm during the summer of 2020, when I was scanning in Oct 20 she turned out to be incalf.

My neighbour keeps an CH bull, he said he is not hard calved but he obviously wouldn’t put him on a heifer.

I had intended keeping her on calving her down,

I had a difficult calving today with another, that just got me thinking about this heifer stated above.

I am just wondering what options would I have at this stage I’d say she is at least 580kg or so.

She would be due to calve in March.

Could I sell her in the store heifer ring with a note about the CH bull ?

I don’t think it would be worth selling her in the springers ring, would there be many that brave willing to calve down a 25 month heifer to a CH bull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mo Chaire, I have a 24 month old LMX heifer that broke into a neighbouring farm during the summer of 2020, when I was scanning in Oct 20 she turned out to be incalf.

My neighbour keeps an CH bull, he said he is not hard calved but he obviously wouldn’t put him on a heifer.

I had a difficult calving today with another, that just got me thinking about this heifer stated above.

I am just wondering what options would I have at this stage I’d say she is at least 580kg or so.

I don’t think it would be worth selling her in the springers ring, would there be many that brave willing to calve down a 25 month heifer to a CH bull?

That happened me one year here.
    My own ch bull broke into my 15 month old lm heifers who I'd intended bulling at 20 months.
    5 went in calf I jacked 4 of them.
    They were fine but not one of the 5 went back in calf after that.
    It wrecked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Personally I'd keep her & be strict on her diet, hay & minerals for at least 6 weeks before calving, so from now on basically. Then oats for fortnight before calving.
    Got caught before with a 22month old calving down to a ch from next door, calved herself with no issues. So I used an easy calving CH on another heifer calving under 2yrs again & she had no issues either.
    Yours is actually bigger than my two were so I'd definitely try her for calving.

Being forewarned & forearmed for a larger bull makes it easier too. Just my opinion, know lots would say sell her.

Edit to add- what's the heifers dam like for calving? Usually go by that here, along with the heifer's frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

Is it possible to measure the pelvic diameter?

It might give an idea of whether there would be difficulties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

I'd keep her myself at this stage ( you probably have a good idea of calving date ) . Years ago a 13 month heifer calved here, never guessed it until she was 7 or 8 months gone , was dreading it, calved no problem ,still in herd now. Restrict her with hay as much as possible but don't go overboard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 salmonorcod

500 - 600 kg shapey enough chx bullocks 20 to 22 months here would ye bring them on to the mart now the trade seems strong enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Sami23

500 - 600 kg shapey enough chx bullocks 20 to 22 months here would ye bring them on to the mart now the trade seems strong enough?

Yes

Those sorts are ideal grass cattle for summer grazer's so should sell well at any stage from now on. I'd be inclined to hold out for another week or 2 but it depends on your locality. There's lots of men that want something easy to look at plus keep the grass ate and draw the sub that would buy those types from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

€ 2950 for the right colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EfsXRgUJbA

Those sorts are ideal grass cattle for summer grazer's so should sell well at any stage from now on. I'd be inclined to hold out for another week or 2 but it depends on your locality. There's lots of men that want something easy to look at plus keep the grass ate and draw the sub that would buy those types from now on.

Any shot at a typical price, got some of these both CH & LM of that weight. They are organic but might offload. TB testing next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭morphy87

What kind of money would these make? If you bought chx at 550 to 600 kgs what weight would you be exspecting these cattle to be mid September off the grass?

Ha, Morphy's thinking of buying my stock, Albert will seal the deal.

morphy87 wrote: »
    What kind of money would these make? If you bought chx at 550 to 600 kgs what weight would you be exspecting these cattle to be mid September off the grass?

Depending on how hot or storish they were out of the shed you would expect 200ish kgs of LW on them

Slava Ukrainii

Water John wrote: »
    Any shot at a typical price, got some of these both CH & LM of that weight. They are organic but might offload. TB testing next week.

For fairish type continental stores at those weights I'd be expecting €2.30-2.40 a kilo atm but it depends on the cattle, that's to the conventional market. If there organic then I'd be reckoning another 20c atleast on top of that atm. Drumshanbo was very dear last Saturday and Good Herdsman were active for short keep cattle but lots of competition.

It depends on whether they were "proper" stores or fleshy types when bought. If they were getting lots of meal and already near fit then I suppose another 100kg would do a lot with them but it varies depending on there frame ect. If they were big empty lad's you might put 200-250kg on them but then your into big carcasses and demand might not be there for them. It's hard to get proper type store continental cattle that haven't been pumped with feeding all winter. Those types will have usually fail once they hit grass unless you keep meal to them. Once they're re-accustomed to a grass diet they'll thrive but giving €2 odd a kilo for them to loose 50kg of it straight away upon turnout is false economy.

Bass would be a much better man for the facts and figures on finishing cattle than me. Almost everything locally is sold as a weanling or store so I'd know more about those.

It not what they will make but what you can make out of them. Say they were on silage only in the shed and weighted 550kgs. It then depends on what you can put on them if you can let them to grass St Patrick's day by early September you expect them to be 750-800kgs. At that they should hang 415-440. But if factories have plenty they could be penalizing heavy carcases. After that it depends on the base. Say the base is 3.50/kg with QA they gross 1550-1630 euro. But if he was a pumped 600kg bullock he might struggle to put on 150kgs and only gross 1500-1550 euro.
    It depends on whether they were "proper" stores or fleshy types when bought. If they were getting lots of meal and already near fit then I suppose another 100kg would do a lot with them but it varies depending on there frame ect. If they were big empty lad's you might put 200-250kg on them but then your into big carcasses and demand might not be there for them. It's hard to get proper type store continental cattle that haven't been pumped with feeding all winter. Those types will have usually fail once they hit grass unless you keep meal to them. Once they're re-accustomed to a grass diet they'll thrive but giving €2 odd a kilo for them to loose 50kg of it straight away upon turnout is false economy.

Bass would be a much better man for the facts and figures on finishing cattle than me. Almost everything locally is sold as a weanling or store so I'd know more about those.

Lad I know went to see a shed of nice Fr yearling bullocks. Nice square lads 350 kgs. Lad was feeding them 3kgs/ day it will have cost him 120 euro by early March. They were Over 350 kgs. They were bullocks. They will struggle to be over 500 kgs next September the way they are fed. While they look pretty cattle they with lose money for him or the person who buys them

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah €2.30 plus I was considering for the 500/550 kg continentals.
    Thanks Albert, was wondering would it be worth my while taking them to Kilmallock 90 miles, seems it would. Really wouldn't have enough ground to finish them. Sell off the biggest if the price is good, as it seems to be.
    Impossible to lease land ATM.
    Might keep one to finish and divide into about 6 family boxes. Hard to know would there be a market, put the toe in the water. Possibly better if I had AA or HF.
    Don't want to derail, just thinking out loud.

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah €2.30 plus I was considering for the 500/550 kg continentals.
    Thanks Albert, was wondering would it be worth my while taking them to Kilmallock 90 miles, seems it would. Really wouldn't have enough ground to finish them. Sell off the biggest if the price is good, as it seems to be.
    Impossible to lease land ATM.
    Might keep one to finish and divide into about 6 family boxes. Hard to know would there be a market, put the toe in the water. Possibly better if I had AA or HF.
    Don't want to derail, just thinking out loud.

I'd think it would be worth your while if you had a few to sell. Organic forward type stores always seem to be in demand but especially at this time of year. As for the family boxes it would probably be easier to market AA or HE over the continentals but 1 or 2 animals as a trial wouldn't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

400kg black whiteheads lads. Out of 75% holstein cows so not exactly the most beefy types but not the worst by a long stretch of the imagination. What are they worth?

I am guessing €1.80 - €1.90 a kilo.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    400kg black whiteheads lads. Out of 75% holstein cows so not exactly the most beefy types but not the worst by a long stretch of the imagination. What are they worth?

Bulls or bullocks? I think your on the money there tbh, be fair on both parties.

Bulls or bullocks? I think your on the money there tbh, be fair on both parties.

Sorry Albert. Heifers

Sorry Albert. Heifers

It was the lads bit that threw me off. I'd say your still safe at that money, circa €1.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

I would think closer to €2.10 given the current market. 300kilo cattle around here are making €700

jd_12345 wrote: »
    I would think closer to €2.10 given the current market. 300kilo cattle around here are making €700

I won't own them at that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Their value would be somewhere around the €1.80 / kg mark to feed for slaughter but what they are making in the Mart at the minute is north of €2.10 & I have seen some making north of €2.20...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Their value would be somewhere around the €1.80 / kg mark to feed for slaughter but what they are making in the Mart at the minute is north of €2.10 & I have seen some making north of €2.20...

The lunatics are out early this year so.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Where will you show them?

I am actually looking for a few rather than offloading. I have done a deal on a couple of good quality sexed embryos and want them to carry those.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    The lunatics are out early this year so.

It all depends on your land or system. If you can get grazing from early March it a very long grazing season. Animal that have a good ADWG would be ok at 2/kg if they did not go over 30 months until late in the year. There a Good chance with such heifers that you could graze them outside until November. A 230-250 day grazing season should guarantee a 200kg weight gain off grass. A 400kg heifer hitting 600kgs in late October would gross 1150. You have a 300+ euro margin. It a matter of picking the right heifers or bullocks but then that the same no matter what system you follow

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭morphy87

It all depends on your land or system. If you can get grazing from early March it a very long grazing season. Animal that have a good ADWG would be ok at 2/kg if they did not go over 30 months until late in the year. There a Good chance with such heifers that you could graze them outside until November. A 230-250 day grazing season should guarantee a 200kg weight gain off grass. A 400kg heifer hitting 600kgs in late October would gross 1150. You have a 300+ euro margin. It a matter of picking the right heifers or bullocks but then that the same no matter what system you follow

I usually buy my stores the fall of the year,I might be able to change my system and buy yearlings in the spring, continentals out of British fresian cows,if I was to purchase early April around 330 kgs and let off on newly reseeded ground, it’s paddocked and I regularly top and keep grass right, what weight should I exspecting these to be say mid November?

I usually buy my stores the fall of the year,I might be able to change my system and buy yearlings in the spring, continentals out of British fresian cows,if I was to purchase early April around 330 kgs and let off on newly reseeded ground, it’s paddocked and I regularly top and keep grass right, what weight should I exspecting these to be say mid November?

It varies depending on the ability of the animal genetic ability to gain weight. Continentals'. Can be hit and miss. April will see the highest priced period . Personally. If I had the means I be buying in late Jan/Feb and hold on silage only until turnout. Compensatory growth will kick in on turnout compared to buying cattle that will have weight accumulated. By meal feeding in Feb/March and salt April.
    I never get fixated on breeds or types I try to buy value. Over the last few weeks I have seen different cattles at value. In Castleisland a pair of nice HEX,s 375 kgs were bought for 750. You see a value in runners around the marts. I have seen nice friesians around 300 kgs bought for 450-520 euro. Saw a flaker 440kg friesian that would grade bought for around the 650 mark he was a lad that would grade.

You be hoping most yearlings would put 200-250 over the summer grazing season. But I be looking for hungry ones.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement