Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

1.65-1.85/kg

I refused 1.70/kg ex shed, for br fr, they would be all north of 400 kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

kk.man wrote: »
    What are strong fr yearlings making 350 - 400kgs in the Marts have an elderly neighbour wants a few.

170 in kanturk last tue. You'd have a nice fr from that town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

€ 2,440 for cow and calf.
    Bass Reeves clicking away like mad. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3JbOXrynrY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Imagine what they'd have made if Mathew wasn't selling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I see a lot of thin cull cows been sold lately for a price that’s usually the same price for a fleshed cow. How are the buyers making a profit on those.
    I’m not complaining as I have some to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I see a lot of thin cull cows been sold lately for a price that’s usually the same price for a fleshed cow. How are the buyers making a profit on those.
    I’m not complaining as I have some to sell.

Feeders buying for grass.
    They soon have their requirements stocked up on so Nows your chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d say Bass was washing his hair during that. Smashing calf and both very quiet animals. Do you know how old was cow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’d say Bass was washing his hair during that. Smashing calf and both very quiet animals. Do you know how old was cow?

No, only saw it today. Catalogue of prices from ennis mart would be gone by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I have been keeping a close watch on the sales online over the last few days. Trade seems to be on fire. Big stores making good money too. Suppose there better value per kg than younger/lighter stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

Theheff wrote: »
    I have been keeping a close watch on the sales online over the last few days. Trade seems to be on fire. Big stores making good money too. Suppose there better value per kg than younger/lighter stock.

I think that is a fair sumation of the trade. My theory is lads are caught with Beam are after younger stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

2 year old bbx heifer made 2.5k today in Ennis. There's pictures up on their facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

That's the second time Delvin has been closed for Covid breaches if I'm not mistaken. A mart manager's job isn't easy even at the best of time's but I definitely wouldn't envy it atm. Covid has added a whole extra layer of red-tape and work that never existed before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

richie123 wrote: »
    What was the point then...whether u get a crap price off Maurice or a crap price in the ring ?
    Cattle standing around all day ina mart losing weight and condition and under stress.

Any mart these days with huge numbers going through it and just one ring should be avoided like the plague.
    Farmers are gas falling for tricks like that.

Lot of locals don’t go near the place , their was 300 cattle not sold there lately and all shifted back to his farm back the road , seen his main man driving a truck now , I’d say he after buying one for shifting the cattle around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Mauty is a one man band. He started out with a few sucklers and worked his way up. Incredible credit due to him. He'd well over 60k cattle there last year, you can't keep everyone happy.

He took over/possibly bought it from his uncle Sean.
    He started Gortatlea mart 40 years or more ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was watching a mart during the week and it was quite obvious the auctioneer was taking bids ringside or at least on the premises. He let it slip more than once.

Dept turn a blind eye some places and hound others. Don't know the story re above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭DBK1

orm0nd wrote: »
    Was watching a mart during the week and it was quite obvious the auctioneer was taking bids ringside or at least on the premises. He let it slip more than once.

Dept turn a blind eye some places and hound others. Don't know the story re above.
    They’re definitely getting a bit more “casual” with the restrictions alright.

I was watching one mart during the week and it was very clear that there was a bit of messing going on. Some lots being opened when they were still on the scales and 5 or 6 bids in before they even come into sight of the camera.

The auctioneer knocking some of them down very quick as well, when they were still in the ring and bids still coming in very fast. Other lots then and he would take an age to try get another bid in. Definitely suspicious looking anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭zetor 4911

orm0nd wrote: »

Looking at some marts on line and they have blacked out sections around the ring I wonder why?
    If a mart has nothing to hide then no need to black out the sections.

That's the second time Delvin has been closed for Covid breaches if I'm not mistaken. A mart manager's job isn't easy even at the best of time's but I definitely wouldn't envy it atm. Covid has added a whole extra layer of red-tape and work that never existed before hand.

You could excuse it happening once but to happen a second time is inexcusable.
    People at the top need to take a serious look at the way they run that mart.

DBK1 wrote: »
    They’re definitely getting a bit more “casual” with the restrictions alright.

I was watching one mart during the week and it was very clear that there was a bit of messing going on. Some lots being opened when they were still on the scales and 5 or 6 bids in before they even come into sight of the camera.

The auctioneer knocking some of them down very quick as well, when they were still in the ring and bids still coming in very fast. Other lots then and he would take an age to try get another bid in. Definitely suspicious looking anyway.

I have noticed that the pictures are about 10 seconds behind the auctioneer has something to do with sound travelling quicker than pictures.So that could explain why the cattle are opened while it appears that they are still on the scales.

• Advertisement

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    I have noticed that the pictures are about 10 seconds behind the auctioneer has something to do with sound travelling quicker than pictures.So that could explain why the cattle are opened while it appears that they are still on the scales.
    I is was giving them the benefit of the doubt at the time and assuming that was the case but that then makes it a hell of a lot worse for the lots he was knocking down when the cattle were still in the ring and bids still coming in.

Opening them to soon would be bad enough but the price they’re actually sold at is a lot more important so it looks even worse now.

Also if the camera was a few seconds behind the sound then there should be a big lull between the cattle being on the scales and them being opened as nobody would be able to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye heard auctioneers making a few comments but presumed it was to the lads droving the cattle around the ring. I know Carnaross Mart has sheets of plasterboard & plywood to keep lads 2 meters apart when they were allow into the mart under easier restrictions and these sheets are still in place.

I is was giving them the benefit of the doubt at the time and assuming that was the case but that then makes it a hell of a lot worse for the lots he was knocking down when the cattle were still in the ring and bids still coming in.

Opening them to soon would be bad enough but the price they’re actually sold at is a lot more important so it looks even worse now.

Also if the camera was a few seconds behind the sound then there should be a big lull between the cattle being on the scales and them being opened as nobody would be able to see them.

Not trying to defend the marts but the reasons why they are opened before we at home can see them in the ring could be one of the following
    - Buyers have viewed the stock before hands so don't need to see them in the ring so can open them when they are on the scales
    - Auctioneer open them as he can see them before us!
    - Someone around the ring opens them as they can see them in the ring before we see them at home.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Ye heard auctioneers making a few comments but presumed it was to the lads droving the cattle around the ring. I know Carnaross Mart has sheets of plasterboard & plywood to keep lads 2 meters apart when they were allow into the mart under easier restrictions and these sheets are still in place.

Noticed that, I would say in fairness to Carnaross they seem to be running a good show. I also noticed that Gortalea have gone to great effort to block the view around the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Noticed that, I would say in fairness to Carnaross they seem to be running a good show. I also noticed that Gortalea have gone to great effort to block the view around the ring.
    Spotted that as well , it started with the camera was moved , u could see the ringside first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

To be fair some marts mentioned here were pretty liberal from the start , and now its lead to others following suit.

if you look at the Kerry ones now with the hunting for cattle that's going on what will happen if the closed one? chaos I assume for a few weeks but its showing a complete lack of respect to restrictions what has been going on.

Give some goon on FB to post a video and it'll result in the marts being closed and its probably what should happen if people don't cop on.

Not trying to defend the marts but the reasons why they are opened before we at home can see them in the ring could be one of the following
    - Buyers have viewed the stock before hands so don't need to see them in the ring so can open them when they are on the scales
    - Auctioneer open them as he can see them before us!
    - Someone around the ring opens them as they can see them in the ring before we see them at home.
    Yea I’m not having a go more so just stating what I’m observing happening. If you look back through this thread you’ll see where i would have been defending them as well.

I’d have no problem with a few lads being around the ring for various different reasons. There could be mart staff buying cattle, maybe a lad in viewing stock might want to purchase some when he’s there viewing etc.

It’s the knocking them down to a lad around the ring when there’s still bids coming in online that I don’t like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Yea I’m not having a go more so just stating what I’m observing happening. If you look back through this thread you’ll see where i would have been defending them as well.

I’d have no problem with a few lads being around the ring for various different reasons. There could be mart staff buying cattle, maybe a lad in viewing stock might want to purchase some when he’s there viewing etc.

It’s the knocking them down to a lad around the ring when there’s still bids coming in online that I don’t like.

Its a royal pain in the hole but I find you have to be prepared and have the ability to say no sale from time to time to get fair play if you are going selling to a place frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

amacca wrote: »
    Its a royal pain in the hole but I find you have to be prepared and have the ability to say no sale from time to time to get fair play if you are going selling to a place frequently.

I would agree but then you bring home an animal that has been exposed to every bug under God's sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's fairly wholesale the dealers can't survive without being physically present at a live mart. Thick as two short planks a sizable amount of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

kk.man wrote: »
    It's fairly wholesale the dealers can't survive without being physically present at a live mart. Thick as two short planks a sizable amount of them are.
    I was getting a tyre changed at the tyre place beside Granard mart a couple of weeks ago and the boys (I'd know them by sight) were standing in small groups outside the mart bidding away on their phones. In fairness they all had masks on albeit some were pulled down under their chins. Other people were sitting in the jeeps/cars in the car park bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Base price wrote: »
    I was getting a tyre changed at the tyre place beside Granard mart a couple of weeks ago and the boys (I'd know them by sight) were standing in small groups outside the mart bidding away on their phones. In fairness they all had masks on albeit some were pulled down under their chins. Other people were sitting in the jeeps/cars in the car park bidding.
    From my experience, the covid rules are enforced in Granard.. viewing before the sale starts then everyone is put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What kind of trade are Chx bull or bullock year old stores for grass in comparison to this time last year?....not lads packed with meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Went to a mart two weeks ago to collect calves bought by a neighbour and the sale was still on going, there was 25 lads outside the ring where the calves come out 3 deep bidding away, this Saturday delivered two cattle to another mart at lunch time and looked into the ring from the bottom of the yard and about 15 usual boys bidding away all standing together where the cattle leave the ring.
    Its only a matter of time till this blows up with a covid out break and joe public will start to complain about the carry on of these fellows.

Just bumping post from above...what kind of trade are year old Chx stores for grazing in comparison to this time last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Just bumping post from above...what kind of trade are year old Chx stores for grazing in comparison to this time last year?

Up on last year this type of stock are a very good trade. Better selling than buying.

Cattle for grass are a very strong trade atm, there as dear if not dearer than this time last year. I'm assuming your after a CHx store around 350kg, a storish bullock at that weight is going to be €850+ and your probably going to be nearer €1,000 for nice types. Hungry type stores are very scarce atm locally, I've only seen a few bundles lately and they made a total klondike for handy bullock's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

Sold few Chx last Fri, plain not pushed stock 390 made 950. Seemed v few Chx in Mart mostly AA/HE bullocks that I was seeing.

Cattle for grass are a very strong trade atm, there as dear if not dearer than this time last year. I'm assuming your after a CHx store around 350kg, a storish bullock at that weight is going to be €850+ and your probably going to be nearer €1,000 for nice types. Hungry type stores are very scarce atm locally, I've only seen a few bundles lately and they made a total klondike for handy bullock's.

Have to buy some for a neighbour that doesn’t believe in bothering looking at online sales!.....his Nokia builder phone is still alive and well:)...and tbh I haven’t looked at any online sales lately....might try and buy them for him before end of March as didn’t buy the same type stock until mid April last year and they had jumped 40 to 50 euro upwards in price from the previous weeks sale that time.You often see a jump in price then as men have grass coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭50HX

If he's buying for stocking rate better value in hex/fr bullocks

50HX wrote: »

One advantage of buying Friesians is you are not overly tied to U30 months. As well you if they go from O- into O= you are ahead. The trick is trying to buy a decent enough type Friesian

Another option is buying bullocks that are over or going over 36 months. You will often buy them cheap enough. It just a matter them of getting the weight onto them

Slava Ukrainii

50HX wrote: »

Same man wouldn’t have them around the place even if he got them for free!:)

It’s only a way of holding a few pound together for him and he’d be happier looking at an animal without right angles on it ;)

It’s only a way of holding a few pound together for him and he’d be happier looking at an animal without right angles on it ;)

The problem is the only 2 year old hungry stores you have a chance of buying nowadays are Friesians

Slava Ukrainii

I'm assuming that the same man is only going to hold them for the 7 month's retention and go back to the ring come November? A bundle of middle of the road FRx type store bullock's in a North West mart coming up to Xmas will sell as well as Aran jumpers in the Sahara.

You'd be as well to try and buy a few fair type growthy continental bullock's, try to get 120-180kg on them between now and resale and hopefully they'll gain €150 or more between now and then. The grass will be ate, money turning over and the sub drawn. There's a reason that there's plenty of lad's to buy a CHx bullock of all kinds each spring, they do the business for summer grazer's and although you might not get rich you'll cover all the bases. I'd leave the chancey types and off colour stock to the professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Well they have to. They got a very strong warning not too long ago to cop on or be shut for a month

.....Allegedly

• Advertisement

The problem is the only 2 year old hungry stores you have a chance of buying nowadays are Friesians

Would be year olds I will be buying for him.

I'm assuming that the same man is only going to hold them for the 7 month's retention and go back to the ring come November? A bundle of middle of the road FRx type store bullock's in a North West mart coming up to Xmas will sell as well as Aran jumpers in the Sahara.

You'd be as well to try and buy a few fair type growthy continental bullock's, try to get 120-180kg on them between now and resale and hopefully they'll gain €150 or more between now and then. The grass will be ate, money turning over and the sub drawn. There's a reason that there's plenty of lad's to buy a CHx bullock of all kinds each spring, they do the business for summer grazer's and although you might not get rich you'll cover all the bases. I'd leave the chancey types and off colour stock to the professionals.

He has good clean proofy ground,most of bullocks I bought last year put on over 200kg from April to November and only got a shake of nuts for a fortnight before selling to leave them easy to get in for loading.Were Chx and Limx but werent fancy types,just good straight cattle when bought.Can't remember exactly but they made about 175 euro from buying to selling including vets fees/dosing.

Would be year olds I will be buying for him.

Even less likely to find Continental stores that are hungry as yearlings. Lads have them in sheds feeding them 2-3kgs of ration. At this stage even hungry yearlings fro. Friesians, Hereford's and AA have all moved through the system at this stage usually. It's much easier to pick them up in February. Actually from late January and February you get lads shifting runner's off cows that are 2-300 kgs. These calves are getting too heavy to let under cows so lads shift them on. You buy them at 2.5-3/kg .

They are not like Autumn ones which get peunomia easily. Only problem is they do not know an electric fence and it can be a struggle to find them within the parish when they take off

Slava Ukrainii

Even less likely to find Continental stores that are hungry as yearlings. Lads have them in sheds feeding them 2-3kgs of ration. At this stage even hungry yearlings fro. Friesians, Hereford's and AA have all moved through the system at this stage usually. It's much easier to pick them up in February. Actually from late January and February you get lads shifting runner's off cows that are 2-300 kgs. These calves are getting too heavy to let under cows so lads shift them on. You buy them at 2.5-3/kg .

They are not like Autumn ones which get peunomia easily. Only problem is they do not know an electric fence and it can be a struggle to find them within the parish when they take off

Any lad that intends to sell weanlings or stores in the spring usually gives them meal before sale to put a bloom on them. If you see a bundle of raggy stores then there owner probably intends to summer them at which stage they should have caught up with cattle that were fed meal over winter. I always like to have young stock going to grass as proper stores and it's amazing the thrive they do compared to "hot" types for the first few weeks.

A relation of my own was complaining recently that his stores have failed in condition the last few week's. There outwintered but getting ad lib silage and a good shot of meal. I said it was the recent bad weather and to cut out the meal altogether as they'll be going to grass inside a month. He looked at me like I'd two heads and said it's forwards not backwards he wants them to go. The idea that they'll power ahead after turnout as opposed to failing for the first few weeks due to not getting meal is lost on him. Some lad's reckon the only way to keep cattle moving involves a bag and trough regardless of the time of year.

He has good clean proofy ground,most of bullocks I bought last year put on over 200kg from April to November and only got a shake of nuts for a fortnight before selling to leave them easy to get in for loading.Were Chx and Limx but werent fancy types,just good straight cattle when bought.Can't remember exactly but they made about 175 euro from buying to selling including vets fees/dosing.

There's nothing wrong with those sort of results and all things considered I'd rate that as a successful outcome for summer grazing. Stock are perhaps a shade dearer than this time last year but I'd be aiming for buying similar types again and looking to repeat the performance. In my mind summer grazing revolves around 2 key aspects and it's there that the profit is made or lost.

Firstly purchase price is key, you'll never buy them all cheap but avoid dear stock like the plague. If there too dear the first day you're onto a loser straight away in 95% of cases and if there's any hiccups along the way you're into the red immediately. Secondly you need good weight gain over the summer, I'm not advocating stuffing them with meal but they need to grow and gain weight and or frame. Stock are usually dearer in the spring than the autumn so you'll need extra kgs to counteract the reduction in price per kilo. If there bought right and kept moving forward over the summer they should leave a small margin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement