Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Some prices at Bandon today
    2Lim 360 kg 850
    2Lim 410 kg 840
    1Fr 555kg 1000
    1Her 530 kg 1080
    4 H 428kg 860
    2 AA 325 kg 630
    4H 387 kg 830
    All above middle of the road, but the heavy AA were a fabulous trade
    even when they were unfinished.
    Unfortunately only noted one price 4AA 617 kg €1,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Kenmare had special Weanlings Show & Sales.
    Sold four weanlings, they were on grass last 2 months.
    3 x 316 ; 800 E ( Sim x Char )
    1 x 308 : 730 E ( Lim X )
    Dissapointed with the weights & the prices .

Inputs continuing to increase
    ( We seem way behind the research in other countries, consequently, we still using old tools, fert, spraying, costly pharma to control worms, etc. )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Track9 wrote: »

( We seem way behind the research in other countries, consequently, we still using old tools, fert, spraying, costly pharma to control worms, etc. )

Nothing overly special there as regards prices but stock always seem cheaper the further south you head. Without seeing the stock it's hard to comment. Out of interest why did you hold until now to sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

There was no show in kenmare today, just a special weanling sale, I might have bumped into you Track9. But I didn't hang around. Sold a few bulls there. I was happy enough, ranged between €2.72 to €3 a kilo. 1 lad seemed to be buying everything so long as they were between 330-370 Kilos. Heavier bulls were tough sold as was anything on the plain side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Nothing overly special there as regards prices but stock always seem cheaper the further south you head. Without seeing the stock it's hard to comment. Out of interest why did you hold until now to sell them?

A cattle man of many years more than I'm old recently told me about something my uncle,a older man again ,now deceased said to him many years ago, "weanlings should be sold in their wedding clothes " i thought it a good one & true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Nothing overly special there as regards prices but stock always seems cheaper the further south you head. Without seeing the stock it's hard to comment. Out of interest why did you hold until now to sell them?
    ===============================

Why did I hold them until now?
    That was a mistake as had them lined up for mid-May, not mid-June. ( There was so much going on I just didn't get to move them )
    Sold the comrades in March for the same money
    The three Sime x Char Crosses were nice square cattle, they had cleaned up.
    The Sime crosses were the right colour & confirmation
    My take on it, not enough competition in buyers.
    Next time, if a sale is a special gold plated & it's June I won't be going.
    We not paid for our costs .
    I have known this a good few years now, indeed was berated in our discussion group for bringing that up.

===============================

Why did I hold them until now?
    That was a mistake as had them lined up for mid-May, not mid-June. ( There was so much going on I just didn't get to move them )
    Sold the comrades in March for the same money
    The three Sime x Char Crosses were nice square cattle, they had cleaned up.
    The Sime crosses were the right colour & confirmation
    My take on it, not enough competition in buyers.
    Next time, if a sale is a special gold plated & it's June I won't be going.
    We not paid for our costs .
    I have known this a good few years now, indeed was berated in our discussion group for bringing that up.

Cattle were dearest imo in late January and early February, they had gained little more in price by late March and would have the difference consumed in cost's. That's why I asked as small cattle are rarely any dearer after the 1st of April in my experience and should be sold by then or held until the autumn. There's not enough buyer's atm because anyone buying for the scheme or early grazing has the quota filled with a month or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sold these lads private mixed bunch best 5 avg weight was 339kg and got 850 a head all aug to Sept born and never saw a nut till this week.
    One or 2 were worth alot more so I think price was balanced enough.

There were 3 other lads then but good they are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Sami23

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Sold these lads private mixed bunch best 5 avg weight was 339kg and got 850 a head all aug to Sept born and never saw a nut till this week.
    One or 2 were worth alot more so I think price was balanced enough.

There were 3 other lads then but good they are gone

Are they the Mayo Comfort Mats you have there - how do you find them

Yea the green ones https://www.comfortslatmat.com/

Only first winter but great job so far cattle very content and clean on them

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering getting them for a few pens for the Bull and older cows to start with.
    Do you mind me asking what sort of money they were

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They're not a mayo mat though, someones obviously using the name 'comfort' as well. This is what the mayo slat mat looks like.

https://cowcomfort.ie/the-mayo-slat-mat/

Correct wrangler not the mayo ones. I've the price somewhere I'll dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

Sami23 wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering getting them for a few pens for the Bull and older cows to start with.
    Do you mind me asking what sort of money they were

I put them in 4 winters ago purely for bullocks.... Definitely after paying for themselves
    Had issues with heavy bullocks struggling get up on concrete adn slipping all over them. Choice was groove the slats or put these down. Expensive at time, but no doubt will have gone up in price. But I'm glad I have them down. No more lameness either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Neighbour sold a roan coloured heifer in the mart recently for €1650. It was bought on-line up the country somewhere. He's still in shock. He didn't know about the latest fashion. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

wrangler wrote: »
    They're not a mayo mat though, someones obviously using the name 'comfort' as well. This is what the mayo slat mat looks like.

https://cowcomfort.ie/the-mayo-slat-mat/

So which are better - the Mayo mat or these green ones I wonder.
    Seen as they cost so much I'd like to get the best ones available

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is it for slats or cubicles

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mayo mats make a great cubicle mat but cattle are very dirty on the slat mat.

Is it for slats or cubicles

Slats

wrangler wrote: »
    Mayo mats make a great cubicle mat but cattle are very dirty on the slat mat.

Those green Comfort Mats be the way to go so I suppose.
    Wonder can you fit them yourself to cut down on cost

• Advertisement

On slats I used Easyfix mats. The general consensus is that these are the best mat available. The mayo mat is a softer rubber. I heard it flatten out to cover the slat holes. You constantly need to be trimming them. The German comfort mat you showed I saw before I fitted mine. IMO there is not enough material in it to last. It a hard rubber with a cote that is hollow in places. If it slats I would definitely go Easyfix. There is another supplier Durapak but the rubber on there mats is quite hard

If it's cubicle mats the mayo mat is supposed to be softer and cows prefer it to any other mat, however any decent mat is better than concrete. Cattle like on the easy fix mats any time there belly is full. On cubicles I would go for either

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28463057

Some nice stock here, however, I would wonder about some of their ability to calve - I’d also imagine you would probably also want to be sitting down when you hear the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Hershall

On slats I used Easyfix mats. The general consensus is that these are the best mat available. The mayo mat is a softer rubber. I heard it flatten out to cover the slat holes. You constantly need to be trimming them. The German comfort mat you showed I saw before I fitted mine. IMO there is not enough material in it to last. It a hard rubber with a cote that is hollow in places. If it slats I would definitely go Easyfix. There is another supplier Durapak but the rubber on there mats is quite hard

If it's cubicle mats the mayo mat is supposed to be softer and cows prefer it to any other mat, however any decent mat is better than concrete. Cattle like on the easy fix mats any time there belly is full. On cubicles I would go for either

I have easyfix slat mats since 2006 no problems and they look as good as the day they went down

josephsoap wrote: »

Some nice stock here, however, I would wonder about some of their ability to calve - I’d also imagine you would probably also want to be sitting down when you hear the price :)

As well accross the whole lot of them heifers I imagine you be lucky if they average 3-4 calves/ heifer and calving interval would be an issue as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

As well accross the whole lot of them heifers I imagine you be lucky if they average 3-4 calves/ heifer and calving interval would be an issue as well

How would that type of cow go with a good quality AA bull on them and not try to wreck them. AA bonus, quicker finishing, easy calving, less vet call outs (I can’t see how there’s any profit if the vet is out several times a year).

The price those heifers get will look like it makes no sense but I presume the lad that buys them will be looking to sell on their progeny to lads of similar mindset, pay ridiculous prices all to look good in front of the neighbours

Jim_11 wrote: »
    How would that type of cow go with a good quality AA bull on them and not try to wreck them. AA bonus, quicker finishing, easy calving, less vet call outs (I can’t see how there’s any profit if the vet is out several times a year).

The price those heifers get will look like it makes no sense but I presume the lad that buys them will be looking to sell on their progeny to lads of similar mindset, pay ridiculous prices all to look good in front of the neighbours

Not sure but they is probably too little milk in there genetics. I remember about 15+ years ago there was an article in the journal a lad in the UK he used to use BB/HO crosses with an AA bull. His land was very hilly.

I think any lad that wants to stay suckling should be looking at a Continental/HO cross( sim, LM, Ch, BB what ever) to AA/GE bulls

Run a low cost system finish at 18 months.HO provides the milk, cont the size and AA/ HE for price. You want growth rate on the breeding bull

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It doesn't say what age they are, or did I miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

Not sure but they is probably too little milk in there genetics. I remember about 15+ years ago there was an article in the journal a lad in the UK he used to use BB/HO crosses with an AA bull. His land was very hilly.

I think any lad that wants to stay suckling should be looking at a Continental/HO cross( sim, LM, Ch, BB what ever) to AA/GE bulls

Run a low cost system finish at 18 months.HO provides the milk, cont the size and AA/ HE for price. You want growth rate on the breeding bull

Thinking of similar here, mostly AA cows bred from the old dairy herd 10years back, with a v good AA bull, great milk but the cows are lacking in the breeding side of things. You’d really see the difference with the odd lm/aa cow, the calves do far better after weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Jim_11 wrote: »

No more than the pedigree game it’s all a pyramid scheme.
    The lads at the top selling the dream that “you too could have prices like these!”
    In reality it rarely happens
    The funniest one is the roan heifers. Lads trying to buy a roam heifer because they’ll get their money back if she has a roan heifer.
    Thing is, you won’t get a roan out of a roan unless you use a shorthorn and the. You won’t have the shape.

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »

In fairness the same man is all his life at those type of stock and is well able to sell them so he must be doing something right. They definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea though.

Advertisement