Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Jim_11 wrote: »
    How would that type of cow go with a good quality AA bull on them and not try to wreck them. AA bonus, quicker finishing, easy calving, less vet call outs (I can’t see how there’s any profit if the vet is out several times a year).

The price those heifers get will look like it makes no sense but I presume the lad that buys them will be looking to sell on their progeny to lads of similar mindset, pay ridiculous prices all to look good in front of the neighbours

all ok as long as the pyramid schemes keeps going

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

No more than the pedigree game it’s all a pyramid scheme.
    The lads at the top selling the dream that “you too could have prices like these!”
    In reality it rarely happens
    The funniest one is the roan heifers. Lads trying to buy a roam heifer because they’ll get their money back if she has a roan heifer.
    Thing is, you won’t get a roan out of a roan unless you use a shorthorn and the. You won’t have the shape.

Wouldnt agree entirely with that. Have a few roan cows here from both shorthorn backgrounds but also lmx/bbx backgrounds and they more often than not have a roan calf. Even off a charolais bull. Predominantly white with the red per the photo.
    Have to agree with your other point however. Dont understand the prices these types command. Nice to look at but no better at breeding than any other good suckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Looking at Carnaross Mart there ever AA / AAX around must be in it. Seen some that appear to be suckler bred making €2.76 / KG its great money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Looking at Carnaross Mart there ever AA / AAX around must be in it. Seen some that appear to be suckler bred making €2.76 / KG its great money.

2 o+ /r- Angus heifers €505 kg €1430 Carnew on Saturday

Jjameson wrote: »
    2 o+ /r- Angus heifers €505 kg €1430 Carnew on Saturday
    They would never kill into that money at current quotes. What is driving the strong mart prices for the AA's at the minute. Would guess most AA's factory fit cattle are making €100 - €150 above factory prices in the mart at the minute.
    620Kgs - €1,600
    710 Kgs - €1,710
    640 Kgs - €1,570
    All O grade cattle and the last lad could even be an O-.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

I see there was a few OAP bullocks sold in Birr today,

45 month old LMX 700kg €1,550
    50 month old CHX 690kg €1,540
    51 month old CHX 690kg €1,420

Hard to see how any money was made out of them.

I wonder what the steak would be like!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DBK1 wrote: »

The profit would depend on whether they were reared from birth or bought as stores. There couldn't be much out of them if you kept the cow and looked at them for 4 years or more, however if they were bought as stores at the right price then perhaps they left something. Though you'd need someone to calve the cow and loose money on them for the first few year's to bring them to the store stage.

Those type of stock are usually 1 owner from birth in my experience. They roam Jurassic Park style over a big ranch for a few year's and you gather up the biggest one's annually as they fatten over the summer. Even a middling run will put flesh on a bullock 4 or 5 year's old once there finished growing and it's lightly stocked. I've often considered buying 2 or 3 year old leggy stores and grazing them for another year or 2 and selling them through the cull cow ring when beef was in demand. The winter is too long around here though and the feed costs would be the killer to winter them. As for the quality of the beef the main supplier of meat to the higher end restaurant's locally fattens mostly cull cows and there's almost exclusively rave reviews about his beef.

There only money for 1 person out of any animal, the trick is to try and sell them to ensure you are the one making the money. If those cattle left this seller money then someone back the line had to loose. Now they probably belonged to some older person for who making money on them isn't a priority, they just like to have a few cattle wandering around, lift the single farm payment and are happy at that..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Very bad weights for cattle that age. Imagine that they're only 2-3 owner cattle. Average gain is 430 grams per day.

Saw Friesian about 2 years ago 800 + kgs at 38 months.kilked a few 4-5 years ago 40 months they killed 430 kgs on average or 850 LW

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Very bad weights for cattle that age. Imagine that they're only 2-3 owner cattle. Average gain is 430 grams per day.

Saw Friesian about 2 years ago 800 + kgs at 38 months.kilked a few 4-5 years ago 40 months they killed 430 kgs on average or 850 LW
    My thoughts exactly, very bad weights. When I saw them in the catalogue I was expecting something 900 - 1000 kgs. Third owner and in the herd for 36 months so they would have been bought as strong weanlings.

I also agree completely with Anto and I’ve said it here before, there’s only profit for one person out of beef stock so if that farmer has made money out of them poor weights and prices for age, regardless of what the grazing/housing system on the farm is, then the previous 2 owners must have lost a serious amount on them.

• Advertisement

At the third owner, chances are some dealer bought them as weanlings and then sold them on to the farmer that kept them for the 3 years. The lad that was selling them yesterday didn't even stand in the mart to buy them. I see it around here regular, an old almost retired farmer, contacts his usual dealer and tells him how many cattle he wants, they dealer knows the type the farmer wants and will drop them in the yard. Then a year or so later the dealer collects them again and brings them to the mart for the farmer and a week of so later drops off the replacement cattle and circle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Have two eleven year old cows here a neighbour is interested in buying.
    One is an R=/R+ red lim about 730 kgs with a good quality three month old U grade Ai bred red lim bull calf.

The other is a R+/U- yellow CH x Lim about 780 kgs with a very good quality three month old U grade Ai bred CH heifer calf.
    What are they worth?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

tanko wrote: »
    Have two eleven year old cows here a neighbour is interested in buying.
    One is an R=/R+ red lim about 730 kgs with a good quality three month old U grade Ai bred red lim bull calf.

The other is a R+/U- yellow CH x Lim about 780 kgs with a very good quality three month old U grade Ai bred CH heifer calf.
    What are they worth?

Is the neighbour intending to bull them again? If the cows were reasonably fleshed I'd be expecting them to be worth more split than as a suckler team. Most suckler men wouldn't have much interest in a cow 11 years of age. As an outfit they'd probably want to make circa 2k to €2200 but I doubt if they would atm. If I had them in the mart I'd put the cow's into the cull ring and sell the calves as runner's but it depends on the sucker trade locally.

A friend showed a 12 year old CHx cow and Aubrac calf about 2 months old recently. I advised to split them as opposed to selling them in the suckler ring. The cow was 580kg and made €1040 and the calf made €400. There were similar teams sold through the suckler's for €1200-1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This might suit a few lads. Wouldn't judge this in terms of LWG. Older farmer with good entitlements, enough docile stock to keep them. He may not need any winter feed. No costs, remember many farmers are running at a loss and using their entitlements to prop it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Water John wrote: »
    This might suit a few lads. Wouldn't judge this in terms of LWG. Older farmer with good entitlements, enough docile stock to keep them. He may not need any winter feed. No costs, remember many farmers are running at a loss and using their entitlements to prop it up.

You are spot on. But non the less it wouldn’t have done the cattle or the farmers pocket that much harm to have given these cattle a bit of diner every dinner time!
    A few similar system aged cattle appear in Carnew from time to time, 850 to 1300kg.
    Come into a big lump of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Would spring born fresian bullocks with ringworm but devalued much in the mart? There in good order, just picked up ringworm somewhere at grass

degetme wrote: »
    Would spring born fresian bullocks with ringworm but devalued much in the mart? There in good order, just picked up ringworm somewhere at grass

It would depend on how bad. You might only get lads around the ring bidding. When you say spring born are they this year or last years calves

Slava Ukrainii

It would depend on how bad. You might only get lads around the ring bidding. When you say spring born are they this year or last years calves

February 2020. Ah there not rotten with it but they could get worse. I'll hold on to them probably and sell the 1s who don't have it

February 2020. Ah there not rotten with it but they could get worse. I'll hold on to them probably and sell the 1s who don't have it

Some lads will take a chance on it but they will be expecting a discount. What part of the country are they as well as weight

Slava Ukrainii

Some lads will take a chance on it but they will be expecting a discount. What part of the country are they as well as weight

Limerick. I don't know about weights. Maybe 430kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Hershall

Limerick. I don't know about weights. Maybe 430kgs.

Above all years going I dont think it will affect them much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Friend who I'm often on about here buys runners and sells them after 12 to 16 months sold 3 heifers yesterday cost €175 made €930 yesterday. Would not have ever eaten much ration but always in good grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Would never stop me bidding anyways if the animal is in good nick otherwise. Ringworm wasily sorted. You'd be better curing it yourself before selling in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

T0001 wrote: »
    Would never stop me bidding anyways if the animal is in good nick otherwise. Ringworm wasily sorted. You'd be better curing it yourself before selling in any case.

It always clears up here once they go out anyhow so I never over bothered with it.

Grueller wrote: »
    It always clears up here once they go out anyhow so I never over bothered with it.

They didn't have it all winter. They only got it a month ago and there out on grass since March

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

They didn't have it all winter. They only got it a month ago and there out on grass since March

Have they a trough with them? Generally when we get it I power was and disinfect the troughs along with treating the ringworm and it disappears

Grueller wrote: »
    Have they a trough with them? Generally when we get it I power was and disinfect the troughs along with treating the ringworm and it disappears

No just grass

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

I had few bullocks got it in sheds in March just before they went out. Didn't look pretty at one stage.. .Faces and neck covered in it. By May it had cleared up. Give it time... sunshine will rid them of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭High bike

Yeah the sun is the best cure for it without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

Bought a heiffer in developed it not long after landing, 2 treatments of backtokill 55 about a week apart and in a few weeks you'd never know she had it, that said she's out since she came

Advertisement