Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Sold another 6 heifers today. Same story. 4 lost 50/55kg.one lost 30kg and another lost 25kgs.

Weighed around 40 last year and the majority lost 20/30 kgs.Hence the reason i questioned the weights.

Disappointing when they lose a third of their weight gain since march in one day!

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Everyone else that sold today is in the same boat so I wouldn’t worry too much about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,439 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Good trade today in devlin mart.

Got 2.30 per kg for AAX and 1.8 per kg for some FR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

What weight would fresian bullocks need to be now to get to 330kg by mid march assuming average silage plus 1kg meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

E/U grade heifer sale in Gortatlea last night. Some top quality animals in it. The best price I saw was a black Belgian Blue 435kgs make €2,080, €4.78/kg!

I bought a few more normal priced ones at it. Had to give from €2.60 - €2.80/kg for 270 - 330kg limousine heifers. They’d be all U grade stock so I thought it wasn’t too bad to get them at that price but I definitely won’t be buying as many as I normally would unless the prices come back a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Serious quality in it. There was some great store 20 born heifers too.

Im going tonight to the suckler sale, ive the holy water ready!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I was talking to a fellow Sligo man during the week that was all set to go down tonight. He ventured to the general sale a fortnight ago and bought a few teams and is interested in more. I'm working tonight and only for that I'd have went for the spin. It's probably a blessing in disguise as I'd only buy something and it's a fair trek home with a load of stock and anything could happen where the same man is involved.

• Advertisement

Sold 2. 2 yr old roan six incalf to saler for dec. €2000 . She weighted 625kg but i thought she looked butty in the ring.

Other lady was a roany Six cow 2nd calver for next feb €1620. Fine price. I wanted €3500 for the 2 so i was happy.

Alot of the heifers below were ginormous 3 year old yoke. How in christs name youd calve them.

There was value in the cows n calves , a dealer bought a good few of the pairs sold "running with a bull" . He split the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

manager is being retired out of enniscorthy mart thank ****. Narcissistic arrogant lazy hoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Bought 2 on Thursday there PBR heifers calving March 1340 and 1220 happy enough. Can't get over the lad from Kilkenny bringing heifers down there was alot of 36 to 40 month 3 and 4 owner heifers there made no sense to me.

It's a tight touch for the 2nd calver imo, it's a long time from now until February and it probably wouldn't take much more to buy her then. There was a handy first calving CHx heifer tonight coming in December to ZAG at €1200. A friend of mine remarked that she wasn't dear but I reckon you'd buy her softening to calve for near the same money at Xmas. It's one thing buying a springer at the money ready to calve but I could never understood paying strong money for something 4,5 or 6 months gone.

The dry cow's seemed very dear in our town tonight both beef and store's. I carried a few cow's to it and couldn't understand what they made tbh. A bare handy 09 born CHx cow 595kg at €1120 I don't know where you'd go with her. If she was a €100 less you'd still say it was alright. Cattle seemed to have strengthened this week again even the plainer types.

Ya i was talking to a friend of mine from clare he said the cows in ennis thurs were a sight, funnily the blks yesterday were back there. The main buyer never showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

600 kg Continental cows were making 2.2/ kg. There must have been promises made to some finishers for them to be hung before Christmas. For a finisher them cows need a price of 4.4+/kg to leave a 100 euro margin. Most must be going to NI I expect.

Slava Ukrainii

Talking to a northern agent during the week said they donr know where their going to get beef from in the back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭kk.man

I heard the same and procurement manager remarked it might be very tight in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭High bike

Anyone at the show and sale of weanlings in scariff today,saw 2 ch x heifers sold 245 kg 1710,265kg 1720.nice money if u can get it

• Advertisement

It’s always a nice feeling when you’re leaving the mart happy! Too often it does be the opposite.

I have been watching a few mart's lately and one thing I cannot understand is how lads are not moving stores with the strong prices. When the weather breaks weight will be hard put on these cattle on some farms. Extra weight will not compensate for any price drop. There is supposed to be 200k extra 2020 cattle compared to 2019. Stores are slow to appear in marts, the good weather has slowed them down further. In the the last three weeks stores have gone up by 100/ head instead of starting to drop. We are going to see some glut of cattle hit the marts when the weather breaks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Weanling trade is heating up too. I reckon the knock effect of high store and finishing prices along with less numbers of good quality Weanlings about it is going to drive the Weanling prices much higher.

I can't speak for you're part of the world Bass but I'm not expecting a glut of cattle as such with us. The marts will get gradually larger from now on until late autumn but I don't think there's huge numbers to be traded like other year's. I never witnessed as much cattle going through the marts locally in June, July and August as was the case this year.

Generally after mid May throughput would fall off a cliff until the beginning of September but that never happened during the summer gone by. One of the marts I frequent had almost 300 cattle at a sale in late July which would be unheard of. The corresponding week last year saw just over 100 head offered. It was a similar story every week, 200-250 head where as other year's there'd be less than 100 cattle on offer.

It was the same in the majority of marts here in the North West to the best of my knowledge. I'd ask lads was there much in Castlerea/Dowra/Ballina ect and they'd all comment that you'd swear it was October not July with the yards of cattle present. Granted a certain amount of lad's took advantage of the red hot live trade for factory fit stock especially cows but that only accounts for a certain amount of the excess. There's a world of stock of all kinds traded during the summer that would usually have been held until the autumn. I'd be of the opinion that there'll be no serious big shows of stock from now until Xmas and I don't see any great collapse in prices likely in the medium term.

Thats spot on, saless were exceptionally big in july aug , those sellers are all grass now and back buying stores. No fear of trade going anywhere a while.

I'd have seen the same in the marts around here (midlands) as well. Far bigger sales all summer than what would be the norm. The sales will get bigger over the next 2 months but I doubt they'll be as big as they normally would other years. I'll be trying to buy stock so I'd be delighted to be proved wrong and see a bit of a drop in the prices but I'm doubtful it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross Mart was the same all summer, due to Covid they held the bullocks & calves on a Monday with heifers & cull cows on a Thursday. Due to the numbers they have been getting they couldn't go back to a 1 day sale the Monday as the yard wouldn't be able to hold all the cattle. It was nearly full every Monday & Thursday.

Maybe for Suckler type stock but very little bucket fed stick gone through marts yet. There is supposed to be 200k extra 2020 v 2019 born stock. All of the extra stock are dairy bred stock. Killmallock is finishing at 3 pm or before it every Monday at present, it was1.30-2pm for June/July. Most cattle going through Gortnalea are 450+ at this stage. Castleisland is finishing at 4-4.30pm and Listowel is back at 3 pm finish. I have not seen the light 350-450kg bucket fed store appear yet. Now this to e last year I had only 6-8 cattle bought, I have 23 there at present ( most bought during June) so not under pressure.

Unless all cattle are 50-100 kgs heavier this year????

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I do think stores are a bit heavier this year. I bought a few last week. 400 - 430 KGS and put them with what I reared last year and even the smallest lad I have is bigger them them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Definitely around here its only been in the last few weeks the grass has really grown well Bass so I imagine people will hold the cattle they have to graze it. There's tonnes of silage about so what's the point selling and watching the grass go to shite or worse buy in dearer weanlings to eat it.

As for Kilmallock given its location is is missing out on alot of stock, you're not seeing many coloured cattle heading there and for it size I think its underperforming big time. I know its mainly in the angus/HE/Fr game but for a mart its size it could do alot better.

Maybe it more a GVM thing, it was sad to see in Abbeyfeale Saturday only a handful of cattle at the weanling show and sale, 20 years ago that sale of weanlings would be packed with top notch Continentals with everyone squashed in like sardines, last Saturday's sale was hardly even advertised

Advertisement