Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

SMB and Ennis and to a lesser degree Newport are getting a lot of stock from Co Limerick especially since online sales took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Gortatlea probably has all them weanlings instead of Abbeyfeale now. They’d be taking a fair share of what should be Kilmallock stock as well because I have stock bought from Gortatlea that came from that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The coloured better grading cattle come out earlier than the black/ black and whites in the south east as a rule.

I’m expecting the usual seasonal surge in numbers of my usual middle of the road cattle in mid October and the same fall back in price but not expecting them to be “cheap” non the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

I have two show quality (imo) weanlings bulls that I am gonna bring Newport Friday evening. 9 and 10 months old and should tip 430kg hopefully. They were 360 weighted at home 9 weeks ago.

SMB have weanling show sale Saturday but we have always got on well in Newport at the weanling sales.

1150 each sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Quality animals there - fair play to you. Would be out of touch on weanling prices but would them quality not make north of €3kg?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

They defo look like they type of animals that would make north of €3 / kgs. Good stock bet fair play to you.

I hope ye are right. Their compadres made 1040/1060 last august and weighted 420. If they saw 3e a kilo that would be amazing. Won’t make it break or break us.

Can the next fella turn a profit on them at that kinda buy price? Assuming they finish them before 16 months next spring what kind of weight would they be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭morphy87

You have some animals there, a credit to your self,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Factories don’t want under 16 month bulls much over 400kg. I think Some of them will just pay a flat price like the under 24month bulls if they go over 420kg.

If the next lad will make a profit or not I don’t know. The likes of them could be fed on to bigger weights (>450kg) later in the spring but at what cost.

Say €1250 purchase price and at least 1.5 tonne of meal to get them to 450kg dead is another €400. Today you will get €4.30 flat for a u grade bull so they’d come into €1900 after deductions. this leaves €250 to cover silage, straw, dose, slurry etc.

More than likely a lad with a contract with the factory will buy him and get a better price than the rest of us would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What about heavy bulls bought in the spring

Say 12/13 months @ 500+Kg that’s killed U16M, would they get to grass or be kept indoors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Indoors, virtually impossible to finish those Continental bulls on grass Protein on grass too high. I have done it though. You need to get them on barley hulls and maize adlib. But you would not want them hitting 16 months until late June or July. Years back when 30 months was the age limit I used to buy light aged store bulls 330-380 kgs (16-20 months) in the autumn. Mostly FR and dairyX coloured ones. You finish them June/ July the following year off grass and 5-6 kgs of barley hulls maize mix. The Coloured ones would only eat 600 kgs, the FR about 200 kgs more. You get The base price at the time plus 10c/ kg for R grade bulls, O's would be 10c/kg behind theml

Buls are a mugs game with present ration prices, weight and age limits. Finishing O grade bulls at U 24 months for 20-30c or maybe more below the base price is not possible. At present any finishing ration will be 280-300 euro. For bulls eating 1.5 ton that is 420-450 euro, add, mart fees, slaughter fees, transport dosing and vet, as well as mortality risk( much higher with bulls) and you are up above 500 euro. That is 1700 euro if that bulls makes 1200 euro. Add 200 euro for margin and fixed costs. If there is a 420 kg cutoff on the grid he needs 4.5/ kg to achieve that. However his FS will struggle at that weight, you have to draft him early maybe to be inside the weight limit.

In a way a this shows the crazy economics of suckler's. And the IFA and the Rag want that these would be included in a grass fed designation

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Why would bulls be priced thirty cents below the base ?

Would you know what the price is these days for a bull just under thirty months ?

It depends on demand. At present there is only 1.5k young bulls/ week, a few years ago the YB kill was 5k for part of the year. O bull price is 3.9-4/ kg. Factories do not want them unless they are short of product.

Bulls over 24 months are discounted to stock bull price 3/ kg

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It is no wonder that people are leaving farming !

It will be a long evening in Gortnalea, 350 cows, the heifers only started at 5.30, there is 140 lots, 140 lots of bullocks after them

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

They should be well on at 12 o'clock!!!! Those sort of sales aren't much fun for anyone involved but it's that time of year. Once you have good help and enough of it it's half the battle and on management's behalf when it comes to pay day it's important to remember all the long hour's.

They weighted savage. I weight both of them first week of July for beeps and they were 352 (blue) and 358 (LM).

The blue in the mart weighted in at 500kg and made 1270.

The LM in the mart weighted 485 and made 1300.

Good weight gain for the 9 weeks. On meal but it’s a cheap ration and they were not getting a huge feed of it

Content enough as prices don’t seem on fire in the mart and there is very little online bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

you had super stock ( a credit to you) you had a a red lm about 490 or 500 kgs that was a serious beast,

I was after afew heifer i knew were going but they were a bit too well done for my liking (& my pocket!!)

well done again,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Prices seem good for plain wh stores easy making over E2/kg .I'd say Listowel and Castleisland prices were stronger this week also.Long may it continue

Is it only the one auctioneer in Gortaclea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

No someone different does the heifers I am not sure about the cows but the selling the bullocks does sell the cows but I would be surprised if he sells all of them

Two auctioneers, I think the split the day between them. They do an hour and a half and then change over. I have seen them selling different.lots. it ended about a half an hour ago

At present they seem to getting heifers and bullocks above 400kgs,every little stuff below that.

While they indicate where the bid comes from online or around the ring they do not harp on about it. Notice lately in the Castleisland mart the auctioneer word be telling bidders around the ring to bull on the online bidders.

One other thing I noticed about online is that some marts are not leaving the videos of the previous auction up

Slava Ukrainii

As far as I know the cattle under 400kg are sold with the calves on a wednesday evening in gortaclea

Looked back through the last sales on Wed evening and I did not see any really selling there. There was a few Fr, AA and HE bit these were under 12 months if age.

I think a lot of these sub 400kg cattle (especially Fr) have gone to Castleisland or Listowel. They did not sell great in Gortnalea anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

I have had some Angus and Hereford weanling bullocks for Summer grazing and I simply can't believe how poorly they have thrived during the grazing season. Could this because they were after easy calving bulls? They have been on good quality grass getting a shake of meal daily and were regularly dosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭kk.man

The answer is probably and maybe the dam or a combination of both. Is there a Jersey influence?

Were they coughing during this time?

By providing meal with 'good quality' grass you might be doing yourself an injustice. Cattle with on grass start getting very lazy and don't graze as much. If you are doing summer grazing the margins are tight enough without giving them ration. I can understand the angus not the Herefords should be well able to get/have room to put on weight. The problem with Angus they can be 'butty' and remain butty all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

These cattle were born Feb 2020 and are short of 450 kg liveweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Sold fr blks yesterday in bandon 425kg 750 and 440kg 790. Not great but they were very light boned cattle.

Sold 3 awful aa blks 404kg 850 an absolute plaster as theyll never make cattle. They went for export.

Thing is a bit hotter than its been the last 4 weeks anyway

Did you buy them as calves. What way we're they treated over the winter if you had them as calves. If you bout them last autumn or spring what was there weight

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There all heifers calves so thats why theyre light boned, brother started milking last year. Theyd have got royal treatment from day one.

Advertisement