Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

They reckon the early wh/aa should be gone before the 2nd winter while the fr will be lucky to be gone before the 3rd winter.The same lads are buying the wh/aa every year so there no hope for them if they are not making money at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are taking to finish there will be very little between them. If they are good type Friesians and you were good to do them you would expect them to be hanging 360-420kgs at sub 30 months. If I was doing from calves I expect most to grade O-/O= at that weight. Cheap way to get into cattle as long as you could finance as you go along.

You would want to be very good to buy AA and HE as calves now. You could end up with a sprinkling of low weight gain calves especially with the AA.Bwhile the better ones will be gone at 20 months you will be left with a core of them that will not. As well what will the ones killed at sub 20 months be weighing. Some will be back at 250kgs DW best will be 290kgs DW. The AA will be 10-15kgs back off that. Amy weight put it N inside in a shed at finishing will be break even at best.

The FR might be there longer but if you were hanging them in June at sub 30months at 370/380 DW, you would be making money.

There was a lad on here last summer that did it he was very happy with them. Cattle killed in June ate at the price peak, cattle November/December are at the bottom of the market.

HE bullock 275 kgs DW @4 euro base grading O=/+ 1140 euro

FR bullock 375 kgs DW @ 4.2 euro base grading O- 1530 euro

I know which I would prefer. I know if killing at 20 month compared to 30 months you will carry a few more but the Friesians would be my choice

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

From my experience Bass would consider your weights for FRs sub 30 months of 370/380 kgs DW wildly optimistic. My figures for run of the mill FRs would be more like 325 kgs through and through. In 2021 a sample of 22FRs - nearly all 29 months - seven were sub 300 kgs (just), heaviest was 372 kg, only five were over 350 kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I tend to agree with Good Loser, I find FR cattle can be very disappointing regarding kill out and with the extreme breeding that is happening in the dairy industry they are getting worse. I would also be a bit suspicious of the factories, they seem to grade Fr cattle harder than HEx, AAx or SHx, so you are a likely to get a P grade FR as anything.

I factoried a load of cattle last August, mix of FR, AAx and two SHx. I assumed the SHx would grade the same as the FRs, O- / P+. I was right about my Fr cattle but the Shx all graded O+. The Fr and the SHx all weighed around 350 Kgs Dw. But with the bonus and the better grading the SHx left more money for Anto, similar story for the AAx who were about 20 Kgs lighter, but most of them graded R-, R= so actually paid more more than the SHx's. There was 70 cent of a difference between the top grade AAx @ €4.60 (R= 4-) and the worse grade FR @€3.90 (P+3+) but my little AAx bullocks would have left me circa €150 more, cost about €100 more as a calves and wouldn't have been near as hard on feed over the 28 months that I had them as the Frs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you need to make money out of your stock you’ll have to buy the HEX or AAX, if making money out of stock is not a requirement and you just need a stocking rate for payments or only want a few as a hobby, buy the friesian.

Bass even in your dream world of such grading, weight and pricing on a friesian there will still be, as you stated yourself also, “very little between them”. The difference being you will have made your money in the HEX or AAX 10 months sooner and will already be half way through making the same money again on the next AAX or HEX before the friesian is gone.

And that’s all before getting to the fact there would be more P grades than O’s with the friesian’s, a lot less of them will make QA, there will be a hell of a lot more low weight gain calves, higher mortality rates and the fact that they will eat far more than the AA or HE. I know you but a lot of friesian’s and turn a few pound on them but you’re buying them as forward stores when all the hard work is already done, that’s no comparison to buying calves.

• Advertisement

I did calves for a while 10-25 years ago then the AA was as good a buy as a FR. Its stores I do now the quality of the AA has deteriorated. I run cattle in the same bunches. The AA all only so 5-600 grams per day the FR 850 grams per day.

As stores the AA will be lighter and dearer than the FR. The good AA/ HE will perform excellent but for every good AS you will have two very average to poor ones.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

The difference in friesian calves now compared to 10 - 25 years ago is worlds apart.

I’d be very disappointed with any stock doing 500 grams a day and wouldn’t be purchasing from that farm again. HEX bought as calves here and all killed at 20 - 21 months averaging about 570 - 580kgs. Take a 40kg birth weight and that’s averaging 800 - 850 grams a day over their lifetime. They only get about 150-200kgs of ration and 350-450kgs of beet to finish them so no massive feeding either.

Your point about the good AA/HE versus the average to poor one is irrelevant really as the same would be the case for the friesian, and in fact it’s probably the case that it’s a lot worse for the friesian. There’s be an awful lot of friesian bullocks that need feeding on to 33 or 36 months to finish. Your second whitehead is almost ready to kill at that stage versus the same buying date as the friesian calf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

Seem to have frightened off my prospective purchaser, wanted him to offer a price first ( as he had approached me ), no way would he do that so I asked for 1200. Hummed and hawed for a bit, said he's busy this week - get back to me, etc. No harm done, might put her incalf myself

That's the thing to do with her, she will make you a lovely cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Yeah put her in calf yourself. We had 2 roan shorthorn heifers in calf to a Red AA x AI for sale before Christmas, within 1 month of calving, sold in the mart a@ €2,250. Nice animals but twas the colouring that drove them on. Selling within a short time of calving is the key IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Lads the neighbor has a cow for sale… she’s around 11 years old, few weeks away to calving a AI charlaois. Good size cow not over fat. Say 650kg. Anyone know what these are making in the mart? Haven’t seen too many sucklers for sale yet. Are they going as good as the dry cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Watched a few incalf heifers and cows being sold in Carnaross earlier, calving in the next few weeks. I thought they weren’t too dear for the buyers, they’re definitely not as good as dry cows imo. Would he not keep her and sell with calf at foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d say anything around 12-1400. Age and weight wouldn’t be with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Yeah I was half interested in taking her on. Not long left to calf. Would have a cow to fatten and a nice Weanling off her. Sounds like they aren’t going too dear. I don’t know do they make all that more selling with a calf at foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What sort of money were they making and what age/style were they?

Carnaross can be hit and miss for suckler cows. If they are well advertised on Done Deal then they can make top money. But on a quite night with only 20 -30 cows in it there is usually some value to be had. See a nice second Calver blue / grey Lmx in it last sold for €1,480 I thought she was good value. Seen a few older cows making €1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

I think they went from 900 ish for a small two year old Angus heifer in calf to god knows what to 1600 or 1700 for a fairly heavy young cow in calf to an Ai Lim bull calving soon. There was some heifers calving soon to ZAG for around 1500 not the best quality in the world but i didn’t think them dear but anytime i watch the heifer ring in Carnaross i always think that the camera is in the wrong place or something, it’s hard to judge cattle in that ring compared to the bullock ring. I suppose there’s plenty to go wrong buying in calf animals you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

Any ideas on what a bunch of year old avg 400kg (range 350-500kg) AA bulls out of AA cows would be worth? I’ve been offered 2.30 out of the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've seen a few selling in Carnaross and Carrigallen last week from 400 to 530kgs all one owner and they sold from 2.27 to 2.45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭older by the day

He would do with a shot of spray for docks like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Anyone ever do a screen recording to watch later can get sound to work on lsl and MartBids but sound won’t come through on mart eye it’s on iPad and iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rojas68

Recorded Marteye a few times on a windows laptop with no problems, windows button + G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im looking at paying a man 2.80/kg for a nice batch of outlier lmx...

2.60kg for aax/hex batch

All between 500-600kg steers...

Crazy money i feel...or is it??

hoping the arse doesnt fall out of the beef trade...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

How are they being weighed. While its one thing to pay it in a mart for empty cattle that are 4-5 ours in a mart and after a bit of a spin, I be very wary of paying it for fresh weight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its a fair point...we weigh them on the trailer...go over a weighbridge...what can you do?

Ask him to starve them the night before?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Not buy them fresh weigh is could be 7-15% of an animals body weight. At the very least I want them spinning somewhere and empty the truck slurry tank before weighing. You are looking at paying 1400 for 540 kg AA/HE and 1600 for 570 kg LMx. To achieve a 300 euro margin you need them cattle to be making 5/kg+ in 5-7 months time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Weighted a calf before leaving (425kg) and 8 hours later in the ring (405kg) selling at €3/kg

You’re hardly that mean to begrudge a farmer a dinner on their way home

Advertisement