Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to the mart today. Very depressing. I dont go often. Same faces but way older. Sold a pedigree angus heifer 690kg 1700 euro not for breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Some very happy tangler there he picked up a handy 150-200 euro unless she was over 36 months

Slava Ukrainii

She probably have made 60-100 more in the factory at a 5/kg base price. Seldom see heifers or bullocks cattle make more in mart than in the factory and the more out of specification they the bigger the dealer profit.

Took two heifers myself over a week ago. I killed them this week, they made 65 euro a head more in the factory.

Slava Ukrainii

Was bought last year for 1500 in a dispersal sale as fit for breeding. She was not fit for breeding.... 1500 was handy money for her for what she was being sold as

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If you’re not a regular seller to the factory, it’s probably much less hassle to offload an animal at the mart. No ringing agents, waiting for them to ring back, fighting over price, listening to their excuses, etc. Then waiting on another phone call from them to be told when to drop the animal in. Usually some day next week 😂

Then you’re waiting to see what way the animals graded and where on the grid you landed. And there’s no option to bring them home again if you’re not happy with the price.

I agree you will make more sending cattle to the factory rather than the mart. But it takes time to get yourself set up for that system.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Price I was working that heifer off was 5.0/kg killing 52% I expect as a pedigree at that weight she would grade R. As a small supplier I do not get much more than many. The heifers were slaughtered at 4.05 base this week

I cannot understand the fascination with selling finished cattle in the marts. Sone of the tanglers are making serious bobs out of it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grass10

You wont stay in business very long if you think you are making money buying animals 1 week keeping them for up to a week and selling for 65 euro more you were doing the fool you had to pay for the animals so you took all the financial risk god forbid if 1 died in the meantime or got seriously injured how long would you be recovering the lost money and also an increased risk of the animals showing up with tb the more animals you kill very basic costs listed below to keep an animal for a week excluding dosing and if you don't dose and keep bringing strange cattle in you will have some amount of fluke/worms

Mart 10

Factory 10/15 (angus)

Transport from mart 15

Transport to factory 15

Feed for 7 days 10

Min total 60/65 and that's assuming mart and factory are not too long a drive

Mart 5 minutes down the road, factory half an hour and a toll away, no meal. Outwintered. Scanned again ladt week. Restriction lifted on our herd Monday, she was in mart yesterday. Cheque in young lad's account for his holidays on way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Advertisement

Im left in charge for the week. Off to an Angus forum in Germany .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not always Bass. In the last couple of years I have sold finished Angus heifers In the mart for 10 to 15 cents more than I would have received from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

people always very quick to comment when they don’t know the context. 99/100 farmers would have brought same animal to the mart in your circumstances

nice little cheque to head away on holidays with.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grass10

This week in many marts factories are paying 2.80/2.90 per kg live which is more than o grade Angus will hang at unless they have got a lot of meals their is this idea out there that you have all these dealers at marts and they are buying all these fat cattle and getting more in the factory which is rubbish the dealers are only buying stores and cows/bulls all fat Angus are purchased at marts by factories direct and the man going in the gate has to subsidise this

fair play to him, a young lad this way was in Texas last year due to his cattle breeding. Right age to go enjoy

Ye, his aer lingus flight was cancelled due to the strike but he's gone with another airline. A good group of Irish going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

You are probably better off in the mart with a small few hereford or angus.... agents told and given extra incentive to keep burger king et al supplied. Some of those pedigree aa would struggle to get a r grade especially in a factory you are not regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying about dealers and fat cattle, in a lot of marts factory men are buying for direct slaughter themselves on line or at the ring side, in one mart we buy stores in on Saturday there is two factory procurement men and two guys from the north buying fat cattle every week.

• Advertisement

I was working off prices I would get from the factory, most dealers are getting 5-10c/kg more or are buying direct for the mart. most are killing cattle directly from the mart.

yes AA and HE will make factory money or better at times. Continentals will at times as well. Mine were two 580ish kg LMX heifers. most of the cacttle I saw that day were making anything from 100-150 less. You would be an idiot to take Friesians to the mart its a long time since I saw them make factory money in the mart. In general cattle that are over 36 months do not make factory price in the mart.

And most of the 99% that do are wrong to do it. why leave 100 euro behind you beef is a small margin game its fairly easy to use a calculator in the sellers box.

there is a few marts I saw cattle selling and I seldom see anything except AA, HE or quality heavy continentals ( and not as often for them) making as much or more in the marts. The day you make money selling in the mart is usually when the factory's are buying online themselves. Lads buying around the ring are looking to make 50-200/head.

I can only give you the figures. I was hanging around the mart for about 3 hours to wait for the heifer to sell. Factory is much the same distance roll up ofload and away again.

She garde R at that weight in most factories at that weight. When she was over 36 months she is treated as a bang standard heifer.

Slava Ukrainii

would there be much left over out €60 - 100 from a 50 minute journey with jeep and trailer and €8 in tolls plus the extra time spent away from the yard?

That’s where the 99 might lose a fiver but still…….

Mart is handy for me but it's not a great mart tbh. 5 minutes away, rarely a queue. Drop animal off, go home , do work, go back for sale of animal. Get cheque, lodge in town 10 minutes away and home. Last time we went to the factory, they went on their tea break when we arrived..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I sold a few bullocks today for an elderly relation who I help throughout the year.

April 22 born CH 635kg €1830

March 22 born LM 680kg €1830 (Well fleshed)

April 22 born CH 605kg €1780

April 22 born 610kg €1710

August 22 born AA 660 €1700 (Fat)

November 22 born CH 555kg €1620

November 22 born LM 580kg €1600

Cattle are less than they were and these should have been sold a month ago but between a herd test and different things they weren't. He's not QA and working with mixed west of Ireland type land. Overall I was happy with how he got on and they weighed good enough.

The first bullock was a right good store but would take lots of feeding before he's fat. The second bullock and the AA were probably good enough to hang, definitely the AA anyway. The last 2 cattle were fleshy butt's and probably will be killed. I bought the AA and the last 2 cattle for him last summer at about €830 a piece. He bought the first 4 off a friend of his in September 22 and I can't remember what he gave tbh.

nice touch on the 3 you bought last summer. Would they have got any meal along the way

Do they just get the run of the place during the summer and shedded with silage only in the winter?

He'd only be half stocked and they'd have a big run for the summer. There's some good land and some middling, we're west of the Shannon. They'd have got a nice shot of meal for the winter and wouldn't have been hungry for an hour since they came. Typical auld fella he'd be more worried about them being looked after than himself.

If all was made up I wouldn't think they got much money but it keeps the grass ate, the sub drawn down and him happy. I try to buy something that will double it's money in roughly 12 months and will be a grade better at sale than purchase, this might not be everyone's idea of success but it does the job here.

I try and stay around €700-€800 when buying as real fancy cattle don't get a good enough do on his ground to make a return. There's a better chance of getting them into €1600 or €1700 in an average year than the €2k+ you'd want for a €1000 or €1100 weanling. I've found black white heads or anything with much Friesan breeding don't thrive much about here either, they look OK until they hit the scales and weigh like a feather duster. No matter what colour they are they have to be quiet and preferably with no horns, it wouldn't matter if they were €300 cheap if they were wild. I don't know anything about finishing cattle and as I said he's not QA and is happy enough at what he's at.

A few places around here the same. It’s not about profit but keeping a person active and independent.

That's my outlook on the matter, Friday comes often when you get to pension age and there not dependent on a few lousy cattle. He said it too me today that there's a nice cheque coming from the mart for them and he never was less in need of it in his life. When you need money you haven't got it and when you get old and don't spend much it rolls in every week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

An uncle said the exact same to me last week. He’s just started getting the pension and the children are up and gone. Plenty money now he said but none when he needed it 20 years ago

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement