Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

They look like great cows in fairness.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/clearance-sale-40-sucklers-gortatlea-mart/19707139

Where exactly is the mart? Would someone mind posting up the coordinates. Just curious really. I couldnt find it on google earth.

On mobile so no coordinates patsy. If you follow the main castleisland to tralee road, about 4 miles out from castleisland, after the old John A wood quarry, go left, and it's about a mile down that road on the right hand side. WW Doherty of adare have their Kerry branch right next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On mobile so no coordinates patsy. If you follow the main castleisland to tralee road, about 4 miles out from castleisland, after the old John A wood quarry, go left, and it's about a mile down that road on the right hand side. WW Doherty of adare have their Kerry branch right next door.

Found it thanks. Coordinates for anyone that's intersted.

Gortatlea Mart - 52°14'14.78" N 9°32'10.16" W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

He's improved it a lot but it's still along way off some of the better marts with catwalks etc. Hard enough to see properly unless u are ringside aswell so be prepared as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Used there be 3? Ashbourne, trim and carnaross
    Dublin and Meath farmers also had access to Maynooth and Drogheda both of which closed within a couple of years of each other in the early noughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

In elphin Monday night. Trade for weanling bulls was great. 2.60 to 2.90 a kilo and above. Granted most stock was gr8 quality.

Weanlings heifers a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

adne wrote: »
    In elphin Monday night. Trade for weanling bulls was great. 2.60 to 2.90 a kilo and above. Granted most stock was gr8 quality.

Weanlings heifers a different story

There is Cattle apartheid at the moment.

The one with the Friesian mother is walking home, never mind being at the back of the bus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Was in Dowra today for a few bull weanlings. Bought 10 continental lads from €650 to €745. Averaged 270kg @ €690, €2.55 a kilo. I was reasonably happy, weanlings were an average enough trade or so I thought.
    I can't help but think that these type of calves will be cheaper in 2 months time as it was a small show of stock today. It makes you wonder with no shipper activity what will happen when the real glut appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

460 kg 1080lim
    440kg 1130lim
    2x370kg 1010lim
    390 kg 1100 2nd prize blue
    Bull weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

460 kg 1080
    440kg 1130
    2x370kg 1010
    Bull weanlings

What breed were the 370kg lads?

rushvalley wrote: »
    What breed were the 370kg lads?

Limousin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

460 kg 1080lim
    440kg 1130lim
    2x370kg 1010lim
    Bull weanlings

What bulls are those lads off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

A bit of a change over the few months. What are they worth in the mart? Or should I finish them at 16 months.

tanko wrote: »
    What bulls are those lads off??

1130 kjb
    One of the 1010 was eby
    Blue was bbq. Others was stockbulls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

1130 kjb
    One of the 1010 was eby
    Blue was bbq. Others was stockbulls

Good prices for good stock. You gone away from the Charolais?

Good prices for good stock. You gone away from the Charolais?

3 were out of heifers. Another out of a 2mf calver tjat valved as 2yr old. Blue is out of a narrow type of cow not suitable for charolais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Young lad took a spin down to Killmallock today. Friesian bull weanlings sub 200kgs were not making there weight, after haulage and fees you would still have them for there weight or less than it. Friesian store bullocks around 400kgs were only making less than 100 with there weight. Lighter WH, AA and LM dairy bred bullocks around the 300kg mark were making about 100 with there weigh at best.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You're telling us nothing. How many did he buy?:D

Muckit wrote: »
    You're telling us nothing. How many did he buy?:D

None like everybody else not enough silage. But if some of the lads with the lighter cattle had made a small effort this year most would be able to carry them over the winter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The lighter cattle will be still cheap in the spring.

Willfarman wrote: »
    The lighter cattle will be still cheap in the spring.

The weanling that will bw yearlings will be, but those light stores are value. They are better value than forward stores. Those 300kg coloured cattle with a bit of TLC will kill 300kgs next June/July, the Friesian's will kill 330 kgs. They will make over 1200 euro/head hanging. I think either would average 1250 over the group. but it is dependent on having silage available

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

None like everybody else not enough silage. But if some of the lads with the lighter cattle had made a small effort this year most would be able to carry them over the winter.
    maybe they made a huge effort and are just selling what they still don't have feeding for even after their huge effort :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Any one see that article on agriland about the recent sale in Balla mart? One 425kg heifer made 2260. I know that's only one heifer. But prices in general for decent cattle seemed to be on an upward trend there. I suppose the saying good cattle always sell still holds true. Nice to see some positivity and confidence in the market all the same.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Any one see that article on agriland about the recent sale in Balla mart? One 425kg heifer made 2260. I know that's only one heifer. But prices in general for decent cattle seemed to be on an upward trend there. I suppose the saying good cattle always sell still holds true. Nice to see some positivity and confidence in the market all the same.

Eby out of a hdx cow i think.a neighbour of the seller tried to buy her at home but he would only sell her at the mart. I dont know if he bought her in the end tho.
    Prices in general were only ok in balla that day... Good limousin bulls 370 only making 950..

A 275kg heifer made 1400 in ballinrobe yesterday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

whelan2 wrote: »
    Used there be 3? Ashbourne, trim and carnaross

That’s going back a while now. Trim must be 20 years closed at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That’s going back a while now. Trim must be 20 years closed at this stage

I remember selling sheep in trim

That's only teasing yourself!!

_Brian wrote: »
    maybe they made a huge effort and are just selling what they still don't have feeding for even after their huge effort :(

Aye, have to agree there, I've never seen fields as cold or as bare here as they were in the end of April.

By the time crops were cut here the first week of June, ground was hardening up to rock.

I'd guess that there were weeks in other years, where more grass was grown than between 1st of June and the end of August this year and with a smaller fertilizer bill on top.

It is really only in the last ten days that growth has returned here.

Muckit wrote: »
    That's only teasing yourself!!

He went not mee he is home for a few days and gave a spin down there to have a look. Same mart would always be a good place to sell cattle, seldom buy any there.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Kilmallock is a buyers mart no question about it,
    Not a place to bring good continental stock if you want to get paid well for them. really a home of the AA/HE/FR cross cattle.

I'd bring plainer cattle there and they do ok but in general if you have good stock you'd want to leave the county unfortunately

• Advertisement

I know in Clare, guys don't like buying Limerick cattle. They'd consider them too soft, coming off good land and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Weanlen sale Ennis Mart Today, desperate bad trade for all. I saw Wealens that would have easily made €1000 last year struggle to make €800

Sample prices

Heifers < 6 months

200kg CHX €420
    240kg LMX €430
    215kg AAX very nice quality no bid, went as low as €200

Bulls averaged < €500

1 great CH 240kg €725

Heifers > 6 months
    270kg CHX €465
    260kg CHX €535
    350kg LMX €660

Many unsold but average was €2/kg

Bulls > 6 months

360kg BBX €850
    420kg LMX €855
    300kg CH €720

Again many bulls unsold, you had no business trying to sell Weanlens not making 350kg and good quality.
    Anything with a touch of dairy in them nobody wanted

Fook. I thought they were only back around €100 on average.

I know in Clare, guys don't like buying Limerick cattle. They'd consider them too soft, coming off good land and all that.

God be with the days when that would have invited a lot of comments about the hurling team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Weanlen sale Ennis Mart Today, desperate bad trade for all. I saw Wealens that would have easily made €1000 last year struggle to make €800

Sample prices

Heifers < 6 months

200kg CHX €420
    240kg LMX €430
    215kg AAX very nice quality no bid, went as low as €200

Bulls averaged < €500

1 great CH 240kg €725

Heifers > 6 months
    270kg CHX €465
    260kg CHX €535
    350kg LMX €660

Many unsold but average was €2/kg

Bulls > 6 months

360kg BBX €850
    420kg LMX €855
    300kg CH €720

Again many bulls unsold, you had no business trying to sell Weanlens not making 350kg and good quality.
    Anything with a touch of dairy in them nobody wanted

You can hit those kinda exceptional days in marts, both on a positive and negative note. That was obviously the later but clearly there were feck all serious buyers there. So everyone spends the day going through the motions with any lad with sense bringing them home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You can hit those kinda exceptional days in marts, both on a positive and negative note. That was obviously the later but clearly there were feck all serious buyers there. So everyone spends the day going through the motions with any lad with sense bringing them home.

If you haven’t got the feed to winter them though you need to shift them, a dealer beside us who would buy the world of weanlings year in year out for the same customers has lads who would be taking 50 odd animals a year for the winter ringing him to say their leaving the sheds empty and selling the silage if they had any to dairy men....
    You’d expect the early sales to be good, not the opposite when the glut of weanlings come in late october/early November price will in all likelyhood crash further if the buyers aren’t their for them

• Advertisement

You'd ecpect exporters to get very excited when prices drop that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Kilmallock is a buyers mart no question about it,
    Not a place to bring good continental stock if you want to get paid well for them. really a home of the AA/HE/FR cross cattle.

I'd bring plainer cattle there and they do ok but in general if you have good stock you'd want to leave the county unfortunately
    I know a dealer from the SE buys there every week (double trailer) and floggs them up my way in a short turnaround.
    Yes must be a dealers mart.

kk.man wrote: »
    I know a dealer from the SE buys there every week (double trailer) and floggs them up my way in a short turnaround.

Not really, HEX, AAX and Friesian cattle usually sell very well there. Cattle over 400 kgs are usually unbuyable there. There is always a good few farmers buyers present. However as Dozer said not a great sucker mart for weanlings suckler bullocks over 450kgs are usually hard buying

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

jaymla627 wrote: »
    If you haven’t got the feed to winter them though you need to shift them, a dealer beside us who would buy the world of weanlings year in year out for the same customers has lads who would be taking 50 odd animals a year for the winter ringing him to say their leaving the sheds empty and selling the silage if they had any to dairy men....
    You’d expect the early sales to be good, not the opposite when the glut of weanlings come in late october/early November price will in all likelyhood crash further if the buyers aren’t their for them

So if the farmers who usually buy weanlings don’t buy, and sell their bales instead, there will probably be plenty bales and hence sensible priced for the bales for the farmer who has to hold on to his weanlings.
    Come next spring the fellas who kept empty sheds, will have to compete hard for stock for grass.......
    What goes around comes around as they say.

Market forces .. eh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

Have a few continental bulls and heifers to sell, What mart in the midlands would be best to head for? I'm offaly based but was thinking of Mountrath on a Thursday night but haven't had time to go up that way yet to see what the trade is like. The bulls would be 475kg to 550kg, heifers would be 450kg to 500kg. year and a halfs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Ger1987 wrote: »
    Have a few continental bulls and heifers to sell, What mart in the midlands would be best to head for? I'm offaly based but was thinking of Mountrath on a Thursday night but haven't had time to go up that way yet to see what the trade is like. The bulls would be 475kg to 550kg, heifers would be 450kg to 500kg. year and a halfs

Mountrath hands down. Hold until the EU night once a month usually brings a good bit more of a stirr around the place. You'd want to be there early. No harm to book them in either as if you have the right heifers lads from Sligo and Donegal come down for them. You'd want to have a bit of feed in them and have them done nice and you'll get payed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

Mountrath hands down. Hold until the EU night once a month usually brings a good bit more of a stirr around the place. You'd want to be there early. No harm to book them in either as if you have the right heifers lads from Sligo and Donegal come down for them. You'd want to have a bit of feed in them and have them done nice and you'll get payed there.

Thanks for the quick reply, just looking at journal here and it says that the EU sale is on the 13th and 27th of September and 11th, 18th, 25th October and biweekly after that. Sale time starts at 6:30pm. Any idea what time you would need to arrive their with cattle?

You'd ecpect exporters to get very excited when prices drop that much.

Yes If the markets are there on the other end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Ger1987 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, just looking at journal here and it says that the EU sale is on the 13th and 27th of September and 11th, 18th, 25th October and biweekly after that. Sale time starts at 6:30pm. Any idea what time you would need to arrive their with cattle?

Forgot that it's biweekly from now. Ring the mart a few days earlier if your going with a few. When it gets mad busy there you'd want to be there by 1 or two. Don't think it's that mad yet so I'd say around 5. Best to ring them in case there is allot booked in.

So if the farmers who usually buy weanlings don’t buy, and sell their bales instead, there will probably be plenty bales and hence sensible priced for the bales for the farmer who has to hold on to his weanlings.
    Come next spring the fellas who kept empty sheds, will have to compete hard for stock for grass.......
    What goes around comes around as they say.

Market forces .. eh!!!

Those bales will be seen in Milk bottles.

Irish Cattle Exports
    Interesting reading;
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/livecattleexports.aspx

Jan to 1st Sept

To UK
    2017 - 22,327 head
    2018 - 14,772 ............down 33.8%

To Europe
    2017 - 113,661
    2018 - 159,340 ............up 40.2%

Any rise again in Sterling (from a fixed Brexit) will tilt things back to more UK exports again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

kk.man wrote: »

Not really, HEX, AAX and Friesian cattle usually sell very well there. Cattle over 400 kgs are usually unbuyable there. There is always a good few farmers buyers present. However as Dozer said not a great sucker mart for weanlings suckler bullocks over 450kgs are usually hard buying
    That's what he brings out of there, suckler stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

Irish Cattle Exports
    Interesting reading;
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/livecattleexports.aspx

Jan to 1st Sept

To UK
    2017 - 22,327 head
    2018 - 14,772 ............down 33.8%

To Europe
    2017 - 113,661
    2018 - 159,340 ............up 40.2%

Any rise again in Sterling (from a fixed Brexit) will tilt things back to more UK exports again.

Substantially more exports in 2018 overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

adne wrote: »
    Substantially more exports in 2018 overall

A good bit more. England not the major destination for exports it seems

Reggie. wrote: »
    A good bit more. England not the major destination for exports it seems

UK imports a lot of beef but not a lot of cattle

• Advertisement
Advertisement