Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

leoch wrote: »
    Is there alot of big buyers like feedlot men at balla mart the prices the mart themselves report always seems to be very good

I'd pretty much ignore all prices marts in the west report because in my experience the top 5 or 6 animals are reported but the average is usually way way lower. I was in castlerea mart during the peak drought this summer and in the farming indo the mart was reporting bullocks making a certain price per kilo. What actually happened was 4 or 5 absolutely exceptional Charolais bullocks made that. An awful lot went through the ring without even a bid much less being sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

croot wrote: »
    leoch wrote: »
    Is there alot of big buyers like feedlot men at balla mart the prices the mart themselves report always seems to be very good

I'd pretty much ignore all prices marts in the west report because in my experience the top 5 or 6 animals are reported but the average is usually way way lower. I was in castlerea mart during the peak drought this summer and in the farming indo the mart was reporting bullocks making a certain price per kilo. What actually happened was 4 or 5 absolutely exceptional Charolais bullocks made that. An awful lot went through the ring without even a bid much less being sold.
    No Mart Manager worth his/her salt are going to report a total depressed trade. They will always find the positives and put a gloss on it. It's just part of their job description whereas if they report the truth they would not last long at that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kanturk Mart had an awful lot of heavy stores yesterday.

Nearly all cattle there were whiteheads or Polly. They had sent out message that feed lot buyers were going to be there.

Lot of good whiteheads at 1.70 a kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

kk.man wrote: »
    No Mart Manager worth his/her salt are going to report a total depressed trade. They will always find the positives and put a gloss on it. It's just part of their job description whereas if they report the truth they would not last long at that game.

One of the first trips to the Mart I had was with 2 Polly heifers, they appeared in the examiner Mart section, clean delighted.

When I looked at the lots sold, the group of friesians i bought was on top and the writer saying it was a great Mart to get prices like that.

Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

"Quality cattle a great trade but plainer ones
    a little harder sold"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There si for and against that practice. By reporting exceptionall high prices it will discourage some buyers from travelling to the mart. Then the vicious cycle continues where a small number of lots achieve high prices but the general trade in average stock is poor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Thats why I said to ignore it. But then depending on who you talk to a mart might be good or bad on any given day. Hard to beat being there in the flesh if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross mart have a livestock live web page (i cant post a link to it as I am new here), the pictures of the cattle are poor but it gives an accurate idea of current trade. I think its is aimed at been able to buy cattle on line but cant see that taking off just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

did i read about some marts signing up to an app or website where you can see the stock before sale and they report the price of every animal. didnt make note of it as the local marts were not mentioned,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

tellmeabit wrote: »
    did i read about some marts signing up to an app or website where you can see the stock before sale and they report the price of every animal. didnt make note of it as the local marts were not mentioned,..

Is this the one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQk60ZwrDU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Went to a mart today to see how the trade was. Stores above 400kgs were OK of a trade. Seen 3 nice shapes lim heifers at 430kgs make €960. I picked up 2 handy Aurbac heifers 295kgs born June 17. Not bad shape, small but I recken I will kill them off the grass next June/july without meal. I would be aiming for a 240/250kg kill out weight.
    Cost me €320. Unless the whole thing goes pair shape they surely leave me something. Everybody afraid to take a chance on plain stock today. Maybe I am thinking wrong.

Theheff wrote: »
    Went to a mart today to see how the trade was. Stores above 400kgs were OK of a trade. Seen 3 nice shapes lim heifers at 430kgs make €960. I picked up 2 handy Aurbac heifers 295kgs born June 17. Not bad shape, small but I recken I will kill them off the grass next June/july without meal. I would be aiming for a 240/250kg kill out weight.
    Cost me €320. Unless the whole thing goes pair shape they surely leave me something. Everybody afraid to take a chance on plain stock today. Maybe I am thinking wrong.

My old lad would call them “money getters"

Pidae.m wrote: »

I thought with the fine spell again and bits of fodder been gathered up that handier plane cattle would of picked up abit. Was chatting a guy today that buys cattle for summer grazing and he is selling them for €150 less than he bought them for in the spring bear in mind they were friesian bullocks, never the less it is not good to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Pidae.m wrote: »

Lad around me call that buying off the euro savers menu. Light cattle for there age can go both ways. Some thrive like anything and other just struggle along. However they are still quite young cattle. August might be a great time to kill them maybe hitting 300DW@4/KG would bring them into 1200 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Went to a mart today to see how the trade was. Stores above 400kgs were OK of a trade. Seen 3 nice shapes lim heifers at 430kgs make €960. I picked up 2 handy Aurbac heifers 295kgs born June 17.

Nice buy. Suckler types? If they are it's a solid waste of time whoever breed them to only have them at that weight at that age. They should leave a nice twist if they grow.

Lad around me call that buying off the euro savers menu. Light cattle for there age can go both ways. Some thrive like anything and other just struggle along. However they are still quite young cattle. August might be a great time to kill them maybe hitting 300DW@4/KG would bring them into 1200 euro.

There small framed so i would think a 250 DW would be a realistic weight for them. Maybe come next year there will be no trade for cattle like this & I will end up sticking them in the deep freezer. Who knows after next March what way things will be.

Nice buy. Suckler types? If they are it's a solid waste of time whoever breed them to only have them at that weight at that age. They should leave a nice twist if they grow.

Dairy id say.They are not badly done, as they ave nice flesh on them & there not Jersey type either. This weight would be normal from these type of cattle from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They’re good weight enough for age. If they don’t leave a twist we are all fcked!

Willfarman wrote: »
    They’re good weight enough for age. If they don’t leave a twist we are all fcked!

Fingers crossed. Shere Larry Goodman will take care of it & give us a fare price. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Dairy id say.They are not badly done, as they ave nice flesh on them & there not Jersey type either. This weight would be normal from these type of cattle from my experience.

Fair enough, thought that they were suckler types. They would have been fairly Hungry if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

They didn't get much to eat for the last 16 Mts very poor weights

High bike wrote: »
    They didn't get much to eat for the last 16 Mts very poor weights

As I said they are handy stock. I recken they could leave more than the limousine I bought a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

As I said they are handy stock. I recken they could leave more than the limousine I bought a few weeks back.
    they have to leave money at that price

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Be interesting to see now if while the massive effort to get silage made late heads off a fodder crisis next spring, brexit proper will hit the livestock market next year no matter what little feed shortage materialises.

Be interesting to see now if while the massive effort to get silage made late heads off a fodder crisis next spring, brexit proper will hit the livestock market next year no matter what little feed shortage materialises.

Maybe the biggest hurdle the beef industry has ever faced. I don't think non-farming people realize the impact Brexit may bring. A lot of people working in meat processing plants around the country will also be affected. Be no point fattening cattle for nothing. We be planting trees instead.

• Advertisement

3 dinky yellow ch heifer weanlings in kilrush 250kg €520... . The end is nigh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Neighbor sent me these prices
    prices in Athenry. Heifers
    355kg lmx @ €600
    285kg lmx 4* €640
    245kg €705
    270kg @ €630
    225 @ €500
    Bulls
    375kg @ € 745
    410 @ €825
    390kg @ €700
    345 @ €700
    390chx @ €875
    368 @ €800
    350kg @ €745 not sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    355kg lmx @ €600
    285kg lmx 4* €640
    245kg €705
    270kg @ €630
    225 @ €500
    Bulls
    375kg @ € 745
    410 @ €825
    390kg @ €700
    345 @ €700
    390chx @ €875
    368 @ €800
    350kg @ €745 not sold

fooking hell their bad prices, not even €2/kg in most cases

355kg lmx @ €600
    285kg lmx 4* €640
    245kg €705
    270kg @ €630
    225 @ €500
    Bulls
    375kg @ € 745
    410 @ €825
    390kg @ €700
    345 @ €700
    390chx @ €875
    368 @ €800
    350kg @ €745 not sold

Lad from down here had a load of weanlings heifers from clare, would be serious charolais. he is some judge, a shake with 300kg....750 plus fees. From 620~900 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

355kg lmx @ €600
    285kg lmx 4* €640
    245kg €705
    270kg @ €630
    225 @ €500
    Bulls
    375kg @ € 745
    410 @ €825
    390kg @ €700
    345 @ €700
    390chx @ €875
    368 @ €800
    350kg @ €745 not sold

Jaysus, weanlings seem to be well back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

josephsoap wrote: »
    Jaysus, weanlings seem to be well back
    And the glut has yet to hit the market in earnest

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

And the glut has yet to hit the market in earnest

Yeah, some shocking prices there. Would not inspire confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sold a pedigree aa heifer in calf today for 1700, only getting 1450 if she was to go for export . Nice money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The show and sale was on in Gort Thursday and by all accounts some serious prices but the quality was unreal as well. Sale finished at 12am. Haven’t heard any specific prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Willfarman wrote: »

295 kgs at almost 16 months... are ya well saying their good weight for age..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

adne wrote: »

I've AAX at that age at nearly 500kg

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Maybe the biggest hurdle the beef industry has ever faced. I don't think non-farming people realize the impact Brexit may bring. A lot of people working in meat processing plants around the country will also be affected. Be no point fattening cattle for nothing. We be planting trees instead.

I don't think your exaggerating, brexit could potentially leave little option but to go forestry on an unprecedented scale, EU seems very keen on subsidising trees but increasingly less so beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Reggie. wrote: »

Lads finsih calves up on 800 kgs at that age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

June calf doesn't get much benefit from that summers grass, maybe well enough bred but off a poor milker or on poorer land, maybe a bit hungry for the winter due to the fodder crisis, all credible enough. No business comparing him with your best example. Many of these make great growth next spring so might leave a few bob for a farmer rather than the feed millers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Farmer wrote: »
    June calf doesn't get much benefit from that summers grass, maybe well enough bred but off a poor milker or on poorer land, maybe a bit hungry for the winter due to the fodder crisis, all credible enough. No business comparing him with your best example. Many of these make great growth next spring so might leave a few bob for a farmer rather than the feed millers

Didnt leave a cent for the first lad though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Agreed, but hopefully they're not all like him. We all have one of those but tend to talk about the other fellow

Reggie. wrote: »

Heifers?

adne wrote: »

Dairy rearers on the hind tit I wouldn’t be a bit afraid of them as long as their healthy. And bass says their a bit of a gamble but can have great compensatory growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd have to see the animal in the flesh. It's amazing the different views on this depending on what lads are used to. As a buyer you don't want the seller to be doing your job ie fattening. I don't look at hot cattle. Plenty of lads to buy them though. You are looking to buy a frame to hang meat on. Now if they have been very badly malnourished as a calf they're digestive system may well be affected. A good set of lungs is also vital. This takes skill and a keen eye. This to me is a real farmer. You are seeing the potential. Knowing the type of ground the animal came off is also a help. Poor ground = poor grass and poor silage. How could they put on weight? I wouldn't judge the seller. The lad with money can have a path wore to the coop. It dont make them a farmer though.

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd have to see the animal in the flesh. It's amazing the different views on this depending on what lads are used to. As a buyer you don't want the seller to be doing your job ie fattening. I don't look at hot cattle. Plenty of lads to buy them though. You are looking to buy a frame to hang meat on. Now if they have been very badly malnourished as a calf they're digestive system may well be affected. A good set of lungs is also vital. This takes skill and a keen eye. This to me is a real farmer. You are seeing the potential. Knowing the type of ground the animal came off is also a help. Poor ground = poor grass and poor silage. How could they put on weight? I wouldn't judge the seller. The lad with money can have a path wore to the coop. It dont make them a farmer though.
    Not sure I agree with you about the poor ground. I was up west lately. I seen some very poor ground with the finest cows/calves/cattle you would ever see. The best cattle I have ever had came from these parts of the country. There is great stock men in these parts of Ireland in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not sure I agree with you about the poor ground. I was up west lately. I seen some very poor ground with the finest cows/calves/cattle you would ever see. The best cattle I have ever had came from these parts of the country. There is great stock men in these parts of Ireland in my opinion.

Breeding not feeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

with current market for heifers whats this lady worth, not too far from me would she make €700

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/zag-weanling-heifer/19971397

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Dozer1 wrote: »
    with current market for heifers whats this lady worth, not too far from me would she make €700

I'd imagine that she would go north of 750. Id question if shes such a well bred suckler why is is only 280kgs at 10months old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

From what I've seen in sales in the north west of late €700 could be somewhat optimistic. Taking her @ 290kg (hard to judge from a photo) @ €2.20 a kilo is circa €640.

I'd personally find it hard to give much more for her. She's a nice heifer but doesn't seem exceptional in any physical traits, ZAG isn't my opinion of a bull to breed replacements and finally I don't agree with making pets of cattle.

I find it hard to make the economics of buying heifer weanlings to keep as cows stack up. Even at a purchase price of €700 it will be at least autumn 2020 before she returns any income. Some very rough calculations of 730 days till then at even €1 a day in costs gives €730 from now till the possible sale of her first weanling. I don't see how she could be maintained for even close to a €1 a day but my most optimistic figure is €1430 of cost incurred by October 2020 (€700+€730=€1430). I'd imagine that similar quality springing heifers could be bought for less than €1500 at the present time.

However as a nice quiet beast with 5* stars she may be worth a gamble if she caught your eye. Even at €700 she'd hardly break the bank and it's not all about the money. As with everthing luck is key and she might make a topping cow in years too come. If your happy with what you buy then price is immaterial to a point. "Quality is remembered when price is forgotten" is an adage that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

To me, she is a heifer that will stay small. At least you will get a chance to see the cow, if you buy private.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement