Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is there many people finishing Fr bulls at 16-18 months or is waste of time? What weight is possible to get them to?

No point in finishing Fr bulls at 16-18 months you are in the July-August period. Too long a winter and they go stale. Some lads killthem at 20/21 months October to December and more let them to 23 months post Christmas. I used to do them kill them pre/post Christmas. I used to buy as weanlings, graze all summer(very hard on land)3kgs ration August/September and house October 1st. Feed 8kgs of ration and silage and slaughter as they would come fit. They used to be handy weanlings 230/260kgs in October/November. They would kill 350ishkgs and at the time the base was always at or around 4/kg. Now the base is too variable and trying to avoid nitrates is a battle as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Some mental weanling prices in Gort tonight. 330-350kg bulls going for up around 930-950. Doesn't add up looking at some of the last 20 posts on this thread.

Heard from a few it was very dear at the show sale too. Were they chx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No point in finishing Fr bulls at 16-18 months you are in the July-August period. Too long a winter and they go stale. Some lads killthem at 20/21 months October to December and more let them to 23 months post Christmas. I used to do them kill them pre/post Christmas. I used to buy as weanlings, graze all summer(very hard on land)3kgs ration August/September and house October 1st. Feed 8kgs of ration and silage and slaughter as they would come fit. They used to be handy weanlings 230/260kgs in October/November. They would kill 350ishkgs and at the time the base was always at or around 4/kg. Now the base is too variable and trying to avoid nitrates is a battle as well.

Autumn born fr prob a better option for that system if they can be got. Make better use of grass the first year

Mooooo wrote: »
    Autumn born fr prob a better option for that system if they can be got. Make better use of grass the first year

Ya but you would be killing them at or pre June at 20 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Some mental weanling prices in Gort tonight. 330-350kg bulls going for up around 930-950. Doesn't add up looking at some of the last 20 posts on this thread.

Those special weanling sales always mad dear. Would it be exporters putting quick loads together of the fancy lots?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Those special weanling sales always mad dear. Would it be exporters putting quick loads together of the fancy lots?

From what I see locally it's farmers that normally drive it on. The man from dans the best buyer of all if you had a calf good enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The bulls are holding their own, but the heifers were very poor, to be throughtful you would want to be getting that for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    The bulls are holding their own, but the heifers were very poor, to be throughtful you would want to be getting that for them.

Same yesterday. Why are the heifers such a bad trade I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Reggie. wrote: »
    Same yesterday. Why are the heifers such a bad trade I wonder?

Don’t know hopefully someone here will be able to explain. You got good prices for what in fairness ware could cattle, but you would not get the color of it in Gort if you had them there. Only ch and good lm’s followed by exceptional sims sell well.

A neighbor of mine has aax cows crossed with lm bull and he struggles every year to sell what are very good weanlings. He needs to finish them but is not set up for that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Heard from a few it was very dear at the show sale too. Were they chx?

No, one was a black Limousin would you believe and the other a red one.

From what I see locally it's farmers that normally drive it on. The man from dans the best buyer of all if you had a calf good enough for him.

It is often some farmers. Some lads will go through the pens pick out a few lots(as advised by Teagasc and the IFJ). Then they will only bid on these lots. Lads around the ring will drive them. There is a unwritten code that who ever come in on a tangler that he drive's the lad bidding from the seats to what ever are the top prices being paid. This is often 150-200 above the general run.

Is that lad from dans the one who goes out to see the same calf 3-4 time and will go to 3.5/kg on some of them. Carries lots of them to 500kgs DW.

Slava Ukrainii

DANS ???? Scrathing my head on that one.

DANS ???? Scrathing my head on that one.

Clares leading farm supply store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Big sale of weanlings in skibbereen yesterday and twas on fire.

Red ribbon today macroom 455kg 1280...'magine how much more he'd a made if he was a charolais ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Red ribbon today macroom 455kg 1280...'magine how much more he'd a made if he was a charolais ;)

was it noel sweeney that was judging there he would always go for the BB anyway. i was in the heifer ring so did not see much else good trade i taught.

was it noel sweeney that was judging there he would always go for the BB anyway. i was in the heifer ring so did not see much else good trade i taught.

Neighbour sold heifers not too dear there. About 360kg 705. Black lm with one red lm in the bunch. He'd them in the pen at 7 this morning so they'd have to weight jack sh1t. He sold aa 320 420 they were poor cattle...

Neighbour sold heifers not too dear there. About 360kg 705. Black lm with one red lm in the bunch. He'd them in the pen at 7 this morning so they'd have to weight jack sh1t. He sold aa 320 420 they were poor cattle...

They were spring 17 born

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

They were spring 17 born

what ring was that in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Talking to a lad today. Aparently good weanlings struggled to make €2/kg in Delvin last night

• Advertisement

what ring was that in?

Not the Weanling heifer ring the old heifer ring

Popped into Ennis mart today. Sample prices Weanling bull, all 2018.

april CH 305kg €885
    april CH 305kg €720
    march LM 305kg €670
    april CH 310kg €760
    april CH 320kg €750
    april CH 265kg €780
    april CH 245kg €680
    march lm 300kg €650
    march CH 300kg €930
    jan CH 385kg €975
    feb CH 305kg €760
    april lm 266kg €780
    march CH 320kg €1080
    march lm 320kg €850

Last calf was a super one. Left after that.
    Prices not very good and some of these were exceptional cattle. Char were heavy boned white types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

april CH 305kg €885
    april CH 305kg €720
    march LM 305kg €670
    april CH 310kg €760
    april CH 320kg €750
    april CH 265kg €780
    april CH 245kg €680
    march lm 300kg €650
    march CH 300kg €930
    jan CH 385kg €975
    feb CH 305kg €760
    april lm 266kg €780
    march CH 320kg €1080
    march lm 320kg €850

Prices not very good and some of these were exceptional cattle. Char were heavy boned white types.
    Many over 350kg? What were they making?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Many over 350kg? What were they making?

Didn't see that many. Most seemed to be march/april. Took a really exceptional one to go over €1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

See any around tbe 500kg patsy wat we're they making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

april CH 305kg €885
    april CH 305kg €720
    march LM 305kg €670
    april CH 310kg €760
    april CH 320kg €750
    april CH 265kg €780
    april CH 245kg €680
    march lm 300kg €650
    march CH 300kg €930
    jan CH 385kg €975
    feb CH 305kg €760
    april lm 266kg €780
    march CH 320kg €1080
    march lm 320kg €850

Second last lad was a good price. Would have thought they were light for their ages in general though.

Those were a straight run of what I saw. Didn't leave out any. Very easy go to mart and only remember the good ones.
    Thought that the usual good cattle from the burren areas were propably down in weights due to the drought hitting hard there. Maybe?????

leoch wrote: »
    See any around tbe 500kg patsy wat we're they making
    You were talking 2017 bullocks at that weight. Saw only a few. 1100 or thereabouts.

Those were a straight run of what I saw. Didn't leave out any. Very easy go to mart and only remember the good ones.
    Thought that the usual good cattle from the burren areas were propably down in weights due to the drought hitting hard there. Maybe?????

Could be the case alright. Would think that ground would have gotten a right scorching this year, no more than a mans pocket also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

dh1985 wrote: »
    Second last lad was a good price. Would have thought they were light for their ages in general though.
    if they are averaged out atmid march calves and around 300 kg theyd have done something around 1.3-1.4 kg per day. id be happy enough with those weights, its not like its a year that youd be inclined to horse a heap of meal into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bob Charles alway maintained to "Buy the animal, not the weight."

Who2 wrote: »
    if they are averaged out atmid march calves and around 300 kg theyd have done something around 1.3-1.4 kg per day. id be happy enough with those weights, its not like its a year that youd be inclined to horse a heap of meal into them.

I dont know but time will tell. In a bad year a good animal will hold his own and selling bulls at 300kg at 750-800 euro wont leave alot oit of them. Would think good mid march weanling bulls should be tipping 400kg this time of year

Muckit wrote: »
    Bob Charles alway maintained to "Buy the animal, not the weight."

Whatever happened him? His account just stopped posting.
    Saw a few salers go tru today making around the 280kg and €650 mark. Would have been tempted by them if I was buying. Also the odd black limousin. I think the bargain tempts everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

is he still here ??

I dont know but time will tell. In a bad year a good animal will hold his own and selling bulls at 300kg at 750-800 euro wont leave alot oit of them. Would think good mid march weanling bulls should be tipping 400kg this time of year

That's 400kg over 7 months. Close to 2 kg per day. That's asking a lot.

Whatever happened him? His account just stopped posting.
    Saw a few salers go tru today making around the 280kg and €650 mark. Would have been tempted by them if I was buying. Also the odd black limousin. I think the bargain tempts everyone.

I think muckit kidnapped him as he's the only one that still quotes him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think muckit kidnapped him as he's the only one that still quotes him

Pudsey wasn’t too bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I had a dream that I did my Green Cert with Farmer Pudsey, Base Price, Bass Reeves and Bob Charles as my lectures.

Certainly picked up a lot from those 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

That's 400kg over 7 months. Close to 2 kg per day. That's asking a lot.

Would most of these calves not be 50kg at birth anyway? So 1.6/1.7 to hit 400kg now, still asking a fair bit for the year that’s in it but could be done

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    I had a dream that I did my Green Cert with Farmer Pudsey, Base Price, Bass Reeves and Bob Charles as my lectures.

Ya sure it wasn't a nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Would most of these calves not be 50kg at birth anyway? So 1.6/1.7 to hit 400kg now, still asking a fair bit for the year that’s in it but could be done
    What are lads averages on all stock, not just the bullsh1t one that does an exceptional thrive each year.
    if i can get 1.4 on bulls and 1.2 on heifers im happy without stuffing them with meal.

Danzy wrote: »

Well Bass Reeves and Farmer Pudsey had a big drunken fight and Pudsey left in a huff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Well Bass Reeves and Farmer Pudsey had a big drunken fight and Pudsey left in a huff.

Footage of the fight;)
    https://media.giphy.com/media/wIohzRTbFSzzW/giphy.gif

Who2 wrote: »
    What are lads averages on all stock, not just the bullsh1t one that does an exceptional thrive each year.
    if i can get 1.4 on bulls and 1.2 on heifers im happy without stuffing them with meal.

Used avg of 45 kg as birth weight.all Bull calves done 1.34adg.up until creeping they done 1.16. Being creeped 1.79
    Youngest calves had best adg.
    One calf had an adg of .81 before creep and 1.92 while on creep. Had awful scours as a calf.

The odd one might but on average thats never going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Oh if I could only thank that post more then once!

The odd one might but on average thats never going to happen

Its thd odd one here that wouldn't and i am not doing anything groundbreaking. Great data on adg between meal and no meal. Shows the benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Its thd odd one here that wouldn't and i am not doing anything groundbreaking. Great data on adg between meal and no meal. Shows the benefits

Weighed & dosed some March calves at end of August
    Assuming 40kg birth weight
    SIX bull 1.44kg/day
    SIX heifer 1.13kg/day
    LMX heifer 1.21Kg/day
    Moved bull & his mother to group of Jan born bull calves been forward grazed (meadows) with meal & weighed him 10 days later 3kg/day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I would find we would see averages around 1.2 at sale. These would be weaned mid Sept and sold mid Oct
    We have had bulls hit 2 kg adg but they would be an exception. Those figures are across all breeds and include AI sired calves over a number of years
    Cows with 50% dairy genetics will have a calf with higher ADG but an inferior conformation calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

first evening sale in Kilmallock last night, heard prices were hit and miss with plenty light weanlings at handy money about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement