Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

From a buyers perspective, great value now in stores compared to weanlings. Why would a lad carry stock for an extra winter? Now to be fair a weanling isnt hard kept in feed, but still if u dont have to. For a couple hundred extra you have an animal that is half beefed and you can see their potential.

Buying weanlings at those night sales.... arrive home in the dark, where could u put them but straight into a shed? Then it's a lotto as to whether they've been weaned or not.

Pneumonia is a serious risk that u dont really run into with stores. With these new mart rules, sure if you arrive late to a weanling sale and miss the viewing time, its a complete lotto and u buy at your pearl based on 2min in the ring.

A lot of calves coming through my local mart with May and June DOBs. They'd far exceed feb and march ones. Hard get a calf into big weight in this instance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note;

I've pulled a few posts from this thread on creep feeding into a seperate thread here, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108392168#post108392168

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Anyone have any idea what €/KG cull/dry cows are making at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

josephsoap wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what €/KG cull/dry cows are making at the mo?

Size age breed?? Sales are small down here still and they're dearer than what they should be(too late for this year too early for next) . Also the bonners are a good trade which is keeping a high floor on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

What kind of money are spring 17 born Angus/Hereford heifers making now. Say 370 to 400kgs weight. Wasn't at a mart for a few weeks. There were very poor 3 or 4 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Theheff wrote: »
    What kind of money are spring 17 born Angus/Hereford heifers making now. Say 370 to 400kgs weight. Wasn't at a mart for a few weeks. There were very poor 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Last week aa off fr cows 380 730. 440 made 840 off grass with zero meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Theheff wrote: »

500_600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

nice '17 whitehead heifers 360kg made €500 on the button down in kerry last week but i would say trade is stronger this week ,Plainer stock would be up at least €50/60 from the rock bottom in the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

cute geoge wrote: »
    nice '17 whitehead heifers 360kg made €500 on the button down in kerry last week but i would say trade is stronger this week ,Plainer stock would be up at least €50/60 from the rock bottom in the last month

Would lads think that the bps main payment might inject a bit of life into the trade ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I’m waiting for a lethal injection to the trade before I buy back. Am after taking a hell of a beating this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Willfarman wrote: »
    I’m waiting for a lethal injection to the trade before I buy back. Am after taking a hell of a beating this year.

The way lads are buying stores at the minute you'd swear beef was going to be over €4 this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Willfarman wrote: »

The way lads are buying stores at the minute you'd swear beef was going to be over €4 this time next year.
    It's called the sfp syndrome!
    There is no cure for it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I'd say lads were holding off buying cattle until they had a better idea of their silage stocks.

A load of silage made this last 3 weeks will ease a lot of minds about having enough feed for stock till spring so they will be happier buying animals with feed secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had A few bull weanlings in ennis today.

2 red limo 1 off a first calver (14/1/18) and off an old cow (6/3/18) avg 307kg- €735

1 black limo off a butty blue- (6/4/18) 310kg - €640

1 butty black limo off a black limo cow (7/4/18) 260kg- €590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

2 red limo 1 off a first calver (14/1/18) and off an old cow (6/3/18) avg 307kg- €735

Would you consider an easy calving AI Charolais (LZF) on a few?

Would you consider an easy calving AI Charolais (LZF) on a few?

I would consider it. Problem is when I’m not around.

My plan is to replacing cows who have not reared calves to a good weight. Since I took over, I’ve been logging weights and prices.

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Did you sell um all? That's not great going, were you disappointed?

I would consider it. Problem is when I’m not around.

My plan is to replacing cows who have not reared calves to a good weight. Since I took over, I’ve been logging weights and prices.

Thanks for the input.
    That’s a good help

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Did you sell um all? That's not great going, were you disappointed?

Yeah sold- Im at work and the lad that brings them sells them. I don’t think some are good enough but they got no nuts or crunch and the cows are small.

I am and am not disappointed. Some of the prices are an improvement on the last few years.

• Advertisement

That’s a good help

The big problem is it’s stil my mother’s farm and she just wants cattle gone. My older brother then dictates- he wants the underperforming cows gone and buy the cheapest heifers in the mart as replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You could at least add another €50 to each by creep feeding. Had one bull here that wouldn't come for meal and he was back €100 from his comrades.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The big problem is it’s stil my mother’s farm and she just wants cattle gone. My older brother then dictates- he wants the underperforming cows gone and buy the cheapest heifers in the mart as replacements.

Correlation could imply causation in this case perhaps! Happy medium is what you want.

The person making the decisions should be hands on.
    Cheap heifers generally don’t produce top quality calves

The person making the decisions should be hands on.
    Cheap heifers generally don’t produce top quality calves

I’ve 8 heifers from this year and 2 from last year that I will off load in spring and just buy without him knowing. Just one or two to start out.

I’ve 8 heifers from this year and 2 from last year that I will off load in spring and just buy without him knowing. Just one or two to start out.

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission

The cow that had the calf for €640, her calf was €625 last year and her heifer 2 years ago was €590

So I didn’t put her in calf this year and she is for the road.

A friend said to look at a charolais cow with the limo bull.

Our land is very bad and a shorthorn cow would suit it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Prices up a good bit in Carnew on last week's trade.
    Still back on last year but up on last week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

My immediate advice would be to phase out the cows producing darker coloured calves. Limousine sired black or grey weanlings are always harder sold in my opinion. A roan shorthorn cow to the limousine bull would be my idea of an ideal cow type for your set up.
    Regarding the charolais cow I struggle to see what this cross would offer financially. A better quality calf would almost certainly be produced but at what cost? You could end up with tanks of cows that spend 8 months of the year in the shed, harder calving's and the associated workload.
    As regards creep feeding the calibre of weanlings you currently have I would be sceptical of the benefits. I believe you would end up with a slightly heavier average quality calf and another hole for time and money.
    To the best of my limited knowledge your a man with sizeable off farm commitments and poorer ground. Therefore it's a balancing act between farming efficiently and having time for family and the day job. I would be slow to make major changes at the present time, perhaps farm with a minimum investment and return for a few years and re-evaluate the situation as other circumstances allow.

• Advertisement

My immediate advice would be to phase out the cows producing darker coloured calves. Limousine sired black or grey weanlings are always harder sold in my opinion. A roan shorthorn cow to the limousine bull would be my idea of an ideal cow type for your set up.
    Regarding the charolais cow I struggle to see what this cross would offer financially. A better quality calf would almost certainly be produced but at what cost? You could end up with tanks of cows that spend 8 months of the year in the shed, harder calving's and the associated workload.
    As regards creep feeding the calibre of weanlings you currently have I would be sceptical of the benefits. I believe you would end up with a slightly heavier average quality calf and another hole for time and money.
    To the best of my limited knowledge your a man with sizeable off farm commitments and poorer ground. Therefore it's a balancing act between farming efficiently and having time for family and the day job. I would be slow to make major changes at the present time, perhaps farm with a minimum investment and return for a few years and re-evaluate the situation as other circumstances allow.

Great advice and echoing a lot of what I was thinking. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Record weanling in Carnew last night
    Born 11/5/2018 AA 520 kg at 196 days
    Sure I haven't got cattle at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

grassroot1 wrote: »

He must have had a great mother to calve him at 200kgs:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

grassroot1 wrote:
    Record weanling in Carnew last night Born 11/5/2018 AA 520 kg at 196 days Sure I haven't got cattle at all

Must have been 2017, or was there 2 of them on the scales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Muckit wrote: »

Even if not on the card

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Even if not on the card

No. The data goes up on mart system straight off the card barcode so data on board is 100% correct.

But if you are looking at 18 18 18, then a 17 thrown in, if u are not a frequent mart goer it easy assume that a May animal is 18.... especially at a weanling mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Muckit wrote: »
    No. The data goes up on mart system straight off the card barcode so data on board is 100% correct.

But if you are looking at 18 18 18, then a 17 thrown in, if u are not a frequent mart goer it easy assume that a May animal is 18.... especially at a weanling mart.

Also won't mention the mart but I bought a year old animal at a calf sale years and years ago.

I though he was a smashing calf but he was a year old screw with a lung problem shoved in by some cute hour with a fake DOB up on the board.

Never seen it happen before that or since but it can happen. Ended up bringing him to the factory 4 weeks later and getting about 100 less for him than I paid.....the lad checking him in that morning was laughing as he could nearly run out between the bars of the pen he was so small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

What age was he when he was born:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

mf240 wrote: »
    What age was he when he was born:D
    any advance on 6mts😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Great advice and echoing a lot of what I was thinking. Thank you.

Do you have a lim bull already? If not id recommend a char bull. Selling as weanlings i reckon theres nothing better, we've tried the lot here, BB, Lim, Sim, Blonde over the years.
    An easy calving Char bull on Sh or red lim cows prodùcing red or golden calves would sell well and the cows would be easy keep as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Do you have a lim bull already? If not id recommend a char bull. Selling as weanlings i reckon theres nothing better, we've tried the lot here, BB, Lim, Sim, Blonde over the years.
    An easy calving Char bull on Sh or red lim cows prodùcing red or golden calves would sell well and the cows would be easy keep as well.

ya the char is king of the ring down here in west cork marts anyway,

Yeah Lim bull. I’m at least 45mims away from farm with work. Dad always had limo as calves were hardier at birth. That combination you say is a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

ya the char is king of the ring down here in west cork marts anyway,
    The same around here, was considering changing to a char bull myself, lads around the ring don't have too much interest in Limos specially black ones, Would need to be an easy calving one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Sold a few heifers today
    605kg @ £1190
    590kg@ £1185
    670kg@ £1470
    575kg@ £1235
    Can you pick the CH from the lims

Two last ones are charolais I'd say

Just the heaviest one. The first and last were out of same herd red lims give the first one away to easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

ELP wrote: »
    Just the heaviest one. The first and last were out of same herd red lims give the first one away to easy.
    What age were they?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

26 - 27 months

26 - 27 months

26 - 27 months

• Advertisement
Advertisement