Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Small enough money for them cattle at that age and weight when you consider Weanlens hitting €900-€1100. No wonder the finishers/grassmen have lost interest in buying cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ELP wrote: »
    Sold a few heifers today
    605kg @ £1190
    590kg@ £1185
    670kg@ £1470
    575kg@ £1235
    Can you pick the CH from the lims

I am not sure if I can pick the Lm from the Ch but all four if they had any bit of finish on them and I expect they had would make more in the Factory even with the base for heifers at 3.85. First two will leave buyer with a nice margin if they are QA already

605kgsX.54X4.04(R+ and QA)=1320
    590kgsX.54X4.04=1285
    670kgsX.55X4.1(U-andQA)=1510
    575X.54X4.0=1254
    Small enough money for them cattle at that age and weight when you consider Weanlens hitting €900-€1100. No wonder the finishers/grassmen have lost interest in buying cattle

In a way yes prices for weanling if carrying to finish is out of kilter with reality.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

That price is sterling so multiply by. 87 to get euro prices.
    Hope they look a bit better then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Divide by .87 to convert to euros.

Divide by .87 to convert to euros.

Divide by .87 would look even better
    Feckin phone.

tanko wrote: »
    Divide by .87 would look even better
    Feckin phone.

No it would not dividng by .87 is multiplying by 1.15 approx, Having said that we be looing at NI prices that are 15-20c/kg higher

Slava Ukrainii

No it would not dividng by .87 is multiplying by 1.15 approz

1000 divided by .87 is 1150 which is better is it not???

tanko wrote: »
    1000 divided by .87 is 1150 which is better is it not???
    It depends on whether you are selling or buying. Mart price would be stronger but Factory prices in NI are 15-20c/kg better than here AFAIK at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I am not sure if I can pick the Lm from the Ch but all four if they had any bit of finish on them and I expect they had would make more in the Factory even with the base for heifers at 3.85. First two will leave buyer with a nice margin if they are QA already

605kgsX.54X4.04(R+ and QA)=1320
    590kgsX.54X4.04=1285
    670kgsX.55X4.1(U-andQA)=1510
    575X.54X4.0=1254

In a way yes prices for weanling if carrying to finish is out of kilter with reality.

Will the buyer not have to keep them for 70 days for QA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Robson99 wrote: »
    Will the buyer not have to keep them for 70 days for QA

No. If the seller was QA and the buyer is QA. It's a combined 70days on a QA farm.

Another nugget.... there is no limited number of movements imposed by Bord Bia to qualify for QA..... It's all down to the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

What kind of money is meal in your area. Bought 25kg bags of stock mix yesterday, worked out at €7.60 per bag. Will properly go bulk when the cattle are in if there is a €30 + saving per ton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Theheff wrote: »
    What kind of money is meal in your area. Bought 25kg bags of stock mix yesterday, worked out at €7.60 per bag. Will properly go bulk when the cattle are in if there is a €30 + saving per ton.

Bulk 295+ in the co-op

Bulk 270/280 per ton for a nut ration 15-20/ton cheaper

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bulk 270/280 per ton for a nut ration 15-20/ton cheaper

Where do you buy from bass,? most seem to be heading or at the 300 euro mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

280 for a 16% p weanling nut bulk delivered. 230 for rolled barley wheat mix currently in any of the places I deal with. Gone up a little .

Mooooo wrote: »
    Where do you buy from bass,? most seem to be heading or at the 300 euro mark

It has been over a month since I got a load salesman taught price would hold until Christmas. I sold off the last of the finishing cattle about two weeks ago still have a ton + in the bin. Feeding a few lighter stores a kg/head just because I have it. I buy it from 2-3 different millers usually spec a ration and go with that in ration form. Bin was a bit dirty so during the summer I got a load of nuts for the top and bottom compartments. to clean it well out. I paid for the nuts up front more or less (rang with the card number straight after delivery) millers are ad for lads to pay up front at present will give a goodish discount.

Reluctant to give details of millers but there are four around me and I deal with three.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

It has been over a month since I got a load salesman taught price would hold until Christmas. I sold off the last of the finishing cattle about two weeks ago still have a ton + in the bin. Feeding a few lighter stores a kg/head just because I have it. I buy it from 2-3 different millers usually spec a ration and go with that in ration form. Bin was a bit dirty so during the summer I got a load of nuts for the top and bottom compartments. to clean it well out. I paid for the nuts up front more or less (rang with the card number straight after delivery) millers are ad for lads to pay up front at present will give a goodish discount.

Reluctant to give details of millers but there are four around me and I deal with three.

Like you I deal with 3 different here and usually lock in for 4/6 months at a time.
    I am always slow to share prices and millers as I got wraped by sales rep before. He claims quantity and credit history often impacts how low he can go.
    All ill say about price rises is its not as bad as people will tell you.
    I cant get any hop of any of them for money up front.
    I always find it strange from safety for them and securing the sale point for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold 3 nice may reds together today, 280kg 840.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Sold 3 nice may reds together today, 280kg 840.

Bulls?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have 3 Miller's near me and I deal with 2. I let the bill run all summer and bought about 15 ton since July. I probably could have paid up front. I paid last week and rep took off all interest and charge price...or so he said anyway. I wounder would I be better paying on the day?
    I collected myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    I have 3 Miller's near me and I deal with 2. I let the bill run all summer and bought about 15 ton since July. I probably could have paid up front. I paid last week and rep took off all interest and charge price...or so he said anyway. I wounder would I be better paying on the day?
    I collected myself.

Pay here whenever the Rep calls. Paid for 30 tonne recently and got it at well below quoted prices above. Think it's better dealing with a Rep than ringing an office and paying over phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

sonnybill wrote: »
    Bulls?!

Ya bulls. Not selling any weanling heifers this year rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Ya bulls. Not selling any weanling heifers this year rightly or wrongly.

If you have feed I'd say your better off carrying them this year. I had feed but bills needed paying. They can only go up in spring twords what they are now.

If you have feed I'd say your better off carrying them this year. I had feed but bills needed paying. They can only go up in spring twords what they are now.

Shed space is always the biggest constraint here, kale and rape arent really options, it does turn to soup under the sheep let alone weanlings. A dairy farmer over the road has done it but ill wait to write the success of redstart,damn fine crop though.
    Heifers are horrid bad,bulls have kept steady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

You'd imagine they can't be any worse,never saw heifers as bad whatever the reason.Id nearly be tempted to buy a few if I was let😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

AAx 496kg 950
    WHx 460kg 890
    AAx 477kg 900
    Fr 463kg 815

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Castleisland yesterday
    anything black was in big bother, AA, LM or SM were a poor trade (AA making 50 or 60 with the weight)
    saw a smashing black and white SM heifer 330kg or so only making 530 or so

one lad had 5 or 6 PB NR SM bulls all 340+ kgs and I think only the very best of them made over 800, they were lovely stock in my eyes great markings

only 1 lot made 1000euro that was 3 class LM bulls 441kgs and it was a battle to get the 1000 euro

there were about 20+ spring born Kerry bulls from the national park in Killarney best price for them was 150 euro/head

couple of crap calves went through no bids

on my ones...I hadn't them well done but the day job is busy so cutting cloth and all that but in general I was happy with how they went on the day

6 bulls
    Mar/Feb born
    CH 315kg 830- LZF heifers calf
    CH 330kg 830- LZF heifers calf
    LM 354kg 820 - had wonky legs for 2 months after being born turned out ok
    LM 304kg 765 - nearly died of pneumonia as a calf
    LM 302kg 545 - black calf plain enough culled the cow a month ago
    LM 252kg 580 - Apr born calf plain enough culled the cow a month ago

bought 5 runner heifers all Mar/Apr
    2 x CH 206kgs 520
    1 x CH 238kgs 525
    1 x LM 272kgs 567
    1 x LM 264kgs 500

was gone too late to see the heifer weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Also the mart are obviously exporting bulls,
    funny really, half the cattle being held were the crappy FR bulls, right bad looking ones and the other half were were good quality Continental bulls.
    looked content enough but I heard plenty coughing so I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to keep them healthy.
    they were on beds of straw and as much hay as they could eat and nuts.

it was the nosiest mart I've stood in for years the bawling was brutal,
    I'd mine weaned but 60% plus were straight off the cow I'd say.

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Castleisland yesterday
    anything black was in big bother, AA, LM or SM were a poor trade (AA making 50 or 60 with the weight)
    saw a smashing black and white SM heifer 330kg or so only making 530 or so

one lad had 5 or 6 PB NR SM bulls all 340+ kgs and I think only the very best of them made over 800, they were lovely stock in my eyes great markings

only 1 lot made 1000euro that was 3 class LM bulls 441kgs and it was a battle to get the 1000 euro

there were about 20+ spring born Kerry bulls from the national park in Killarney best price for them was 150 euro/head

couple of crap calves went through no bids

on my ones...I hadn't them well done but the day job is busy so cutting cloth and all that but in general I was happy with how they went on the day

6 bulls
    Mar/Feb born
    CH 315kg 830- LZF heifers calf
    CH 330kg 830- LZF heifers calf
    LM 354kg 820 - had wonky legs for 2 months after being born turned out ok
    LM 304kg 765 - nearly died of pneumonia as a calf
    LM 302kg 545 - black calf plain enough culled the cow a month ago
    LM 252kg 580 - Apr born calf plain enough culled the cow a month ago

bought 5 runner heifers all Mar/Apr
    2 x CH 206kgs 520
    1 x CH 238kgs 525
    1 x LM 272kgs 567
    1 x LM 264kgs 500

was gone too late to see the heifer weanlings

I watched the weanling sale on youtube farmers forum this morning. 280kg ch bull 1010
    Nice sort but not exceptional either.
    Plainer calfs after
    325kg 790
    295 820.
    Auctioneer seemed like a good one. Only watched a handful. Think its in ballymahon mart not too sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone know what a black BB bull would make around 450 to 470 kg at 10 months old ? He s too good to castrate and I want to keep my options open in case he starts trying to damage gates trying to access the heifers

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone know what a black BB bull would make around 450 to 470 kg at 10 months old ? He s too good to castrate and I want to keep my options open in case he starts trying to damage gates trying to access the heifers

Saw a black BB bullock 460kgs yesterday in Killmallock making 860 as for a bull that age not sure if he will make much with 100-150 more.

Slava Ukrainii

farming93 wrote: »

Depends on quality. 900-1300

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Cheers, I wouldn't let him go for less than 950 and I don't want to chance bringing him in case I didn't get that . I got 1150 for a comrade of his a while ago who was a year old so I'd even be hoping to go closer to that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Last of the bulls went today. Adv 1017 after fees. Back on last year but not as bad as I first thought. Have not made up the weights yet but probably around 450kg. Best was limx. Worst was sIx. Opposite to last year. Bbx was similar to last year. Did not sell any hefiers. Have 18 4 and 5 star ai'ed hefiers to go next April all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Three in Carrigallen today. Top is THZ bull off that teeny weeny cow I've mentioned before, calf last year was 360kg at a similar age so she makes a great job of them. Have Loki on her now so should be a nice cross.
    Middle is Alwent Hitman ch who was taken off the cow at 4 months, very happy with him. Bottom is the first saler we've sold, now he was alright, grand hairy calf but salers not the best breed to try & sell with it seems. Will have to think in the future about using them again, though weighed well as i had him dwn as 270 or that. First time in a long time we've had a bull sell that low. I would have been happy with 800 a piece for the two other lads so they evened out ok, still.....tough year!!
    TUxRvuml.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw dry suckler & Dairy cows selling today. Shocking low they were. Took a very good fleshy one to make €900.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

Saw dry suckler & Dairy cows selling today. Shocking low they were. Took a very good fleshy one to make €900.

There was a big drop in factory cull cow price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

The problem down here in the marts with regards beef cattle is that lads around the rings can't get cattle killed and are choked. There is beef passing through the rings for Jack sh1t.
    A couple of the factories aren't even quoting for cows. One outfit is back to 270 and 280 /kg

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

In the sales today alot of very poor dairy bred cattle. Bought 3 heifers
    336kg lm £465
    318kg lm £535
    368kg ch £685

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Pidae.m wrote: »
    The problem down here in the marts with regards beef cattle is that lads around the rings can't get cattle killed and are choked. There is beef passing through the rings for Jack sh1t.
    A couple of the factories aren't even quoting for cows. One outfit is back to 270 and 280 /kg

So much for the government's food wise 2025 ambitions when factories can't cope with what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just a general comment.

I've a neighbour buying suckler bred weanlings in the marts. The complaint he has is that suckler farmers this year are not dehorning their stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just a general comment.

I've a neighbour buying suckler bred weanlings in the marts. The complaint he has is that suckler farmers this year are not dehorning their stock.

There was a general consensus around here during the heatwave that the cons outweighed the pros of doing them. Other areas must have been of the same opinion!

Just a general comment.

Was he complaining about the extra bang he's getting for his buck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Just a general comment.

fear of his hole ,he can well afford to dehorn them at the knockdown prices in the marts

There was a general consensus around here during the heatwave that the cons outweighed the pros of doing them. Other areas must have been of the same opinion!

Must have been.

It's easy enough dehorn a calf though. Even a suckler calf.

If that was a few years ago those cattle wouldn't be allowed in the Mart.
    Standards are slipping folks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Must have been.

It's easy enough dehorn a calf though. Even a suckler calf.

If that was a few years ago those cattle wouldn't be allowed in the Mart.
    Standards are slipping folks!!

Not the only thing slipping, I’d wash and blow dry them if I got paid for it. I dehorn and wean before selling.....:: but I’m just wasting my time.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Not the only thing slipping, I’d wash and blow dry them if I got paid for it. I dehorn and wean before selling.....:: but I’m just wasting my time.

That's the spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was watching a bit of Tullow weanling sale on line earlier,

fellows selling AAx heifers or Fr bulls won't have much tax problems this year,

• Advertisement
Advertisement