Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

High bike wrote: »
    fear of his hole ,he can well afford to dehorn them at the knockdown prices in the marts

Yes the buyers are absaloutly coining it..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

ELP wrote: »
    In the sales today alot of very poor dairy bred cattle. Bought 3 heifers
    336kg lm £465
    318kg lm £535
    368kg ch £685

These sound cheap ELP what sort of ages were they? Called into mart yesterday myself a lot of good store heifers not making £2 per kilo

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

orm0nd wrote:
    was watching a bit of Tullow weanling sale on line earlier,

Hi how do u watch the mart on line, do you need an app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Neighbor bought 10 18 month Hereford bulls 365kgs average, good storey type cattle for 510 euro at tullamore last week, plainer cattle are a dire trade, it’s hard to see any demand for bucket calves in the spring bar shipping, I think a lot of lads will of had their fill of it after this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Neighbor bought 10 18 month Hereford bulls 365kgs average, good storey type cattle for 510 euro at tullamore last week, plainer cattle are a dire trade, it’s hard to see any demand for bucket calves in the spring bar shipping, I think a lot of lads will of had their fill of it after this year

Fellas complaining about the price of weanling should look at the price of stores. Light Stores are way better value than any bull weanling or even heifer weanling especially if not weaned or dehorned. Young fella bought 330/340 kg AA stores for 475 euro last September, you will get any amount of good friesians 380-430kgs for a hundred euro with there weight. These type of cattle will be on the hook next year at 1200 euro plus with a very low loss risk.

Any lad thinking that weanlings are value should look around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

18 month old bulls weighing 365 kg would only be considered dregs of cattle .I saw british fr bullock same age weighing 630 kg make €1050 last week !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Once they are not stunted they should thrive fine. In the old days we used to buy 18 month old fr stores. At that time 400kg would be the norm. We'd kill them a year later at 700kg. Over 90% would grade R too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

cute geoge wrote: »
    18 month old bulls weighing 365 kg would only be considered dregs of cattle .I saw british fr bullock same age weighing 630 kg make €1050 last week !!!!

They where hungry cattle, with good frames, a good do over winter and you’d have them easily finished of grass by June/July, always a good twist to be got out of lads like the above once the price is right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi how do u watch the mart on line, do you need an app

https://www.farmersforum.ie/live-marts/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

orm0nd wrote: »
    great job when at home with kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Fellas complaining about the price of weanling should look at the price of stores. Light Stores are way better value than any bull weanling or even heifer weanling especially if not weaned or dehorned. Young fella bought 330/340 kg AA stores for 475 euro last September, you will get any amount of good friesians 380-430kgs for a hundred euro with there weight. These type of cattle will be on the hook next year at 1200 euro plus with a very low loss risk.

Any lad thinking that weanlings are value should look around

Not making a case for whose doing the worst, but wouldn’t it be nice if there was a bit of meat on the bone for all us (excuse the pun) rather than the big retailers and factories taking the bulk and leaving the scraps for everyone else.

Suckler farming as we know it has to change, what the change is I don’t know.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Not making a case for whose doing the worst, but wouldn’t it be nice if there was a bit of meat on the bone for all us (excuse the pun) rather than the big retailers and factories taking the bulk and leaving the scraps for everyone else.

Suckler farming as we know it has to change, what the change is I don’t know.

What is a fair price. I am not happy with present prices either but have to work on with them. However what is a fair price 4/Kg?, 4.30/?, maybe 4.6/kg. The first price is about the average base when stock is in shortish supply, the second is slightly above the yearly peak Irish price it is also above the highest EU price. The last price 4.6/kg is still below a break even price for sucklers bred stock if killed sub 380kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

These sound cheap ELP what sort of ages were they? Called into mart yesterday myself a lot of good store heifers not making £2 per kilo

First Lm was 7/17 so hope it will do OK off grass next year at that money.
    Other two are 3/18 so just off cow.
    First pic is ch
    Second is older lm
    Third is ch and lm from this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The last day I had calves in the mart I got 195 for 2 week old Angus heifer calves. Would have taken half that at home tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What is a fair price. I am not happy with present prices either but have to work on with them. However what is a fair price 4/Kg?, 4.30/?, maybe 4.6/kg. The first price is about the average base when stock is in shortish supply, the second is slightly above the yearly peak Irish price it is also above the highest EU price. The last price 4.6/kg is still below a break even price for sucklers bred stock if killed sub 380kgs.

Bass you hit the nail on the head even at the top price suckler breed stock are only break even, going forward sucklers will be a niche product, we’re producing product that cannot pay for itself, if this was a commercial business we would be bust, the part time nature of those working with sucklers (not everyone) and the few handouts are currently keeping things ticking over. I currently know of 3 well run non dairy farms that have been offered to sons (no daughters) who have said thanks but no thanks, the parents have been told to sell it up and enjoy themselves.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

That 630kg animal was a Rob. I killed fr bullocks last week 310kgs dw avg 1050. I recon they were not more than 550 lw but they were on meal for a while.

kk.man wrote: »
    That 630kg animal was a Rob. I killed fr bullocks last week 310kgs dw avg 1050. I recon they were not more than 550 lw but they were on meal for a while.

These were on meal since august i reckon so probably k/o over 300 so same money as your own ,how do say they were rob still.

A couple of weeks back in the mart a dealer bought 5 very good growthy square friesian bullocks bar one middle of the road on bunch. Possibly some beef in their breeding to look at. 480kg @ €640.
    And 4 good r+ grade very nice hairy growthy limo bullocks 440kg (weighing bad for size admittedly) €1050. His opinion. Both groups of bullocks were on the button to leave a margin but the margin will be close to the same. I wouldn’t be as much of an optimist as bass by nature and my guess would only have these friesian netting in the region €1200 next summer. The limos @ €1600.

Who can keep a cow just to produce a calf for €400. It defies logic. Unless the future is a extensive low input systems with good payments linked to the environment it is only ever going to benefit the Goodman family in its current guise.

These were on meal since august i reckon so probably k/o over 300 so same money as your own ,how do say they were rob still.

A bullock at 630kgs should n o t take long to get into a fat score 3 with meal and good silage. He then could come into 350kgs dw and say 3.65 on the grid would equate to 1230 after stoppages.

• Advertisement

A bullock at 630kgs should n o t take long to get into a fat score 3 with meal and good silage. He then could come into 350kgs dw and say 3.65 on the grid would equate to 1230 after stoppages.

You’d have to budget 70 days at 3€ a day. 200€ plus mart expenses. Unless Larry gave you a price rise you wouldn’t put a packet of peanuts beside a January pint off the back of your labor.

Willfarman wrote: »
    A couple of weeks back in the mart a dealer bought 5 very good growthy square friesian bullocks bar one middle of the road on bunch. Possibly some beef in their breeding to look at. 480kg @ €640.
    And 4 good r+ grade very nice hairy growthy limo bullocks 440kg (weighing bad for size admittedly) €1050. His opinion. Both groups of bullocks were on the button to leave a margin but the margin will be close to the same. I wouldn’t be as much of an optimist as bass by nature and my guess would only have these friesian netting in the region €1200 next summer. The limos @ €1600.

Who can keep a cow just to produce a calf for €400. It defies logic. Unless the future is a extensive low input systems with good payments linked to the environment it is only ever going to benefit the Goodman family in its current guise.

I have one advantage the ability to put cattle to grass early. Admittedly the cattle I was csting were bought in September. Cattle have had some thrive this autumn. Cattle have put on 40-50 kgs since then. Them AA are now hitting 380 kgs and gone onto the rape. Expect them to be not much shy of 450 going to grass. My target is to kill a bit with 300 DW in July if you get a goodish spring.

In my system the friesians above are a better punt then the limo's. With a normal spring I expect them to hit 330 /340 DW in mid June. The Limo would need to kill over 400 DW to match the margin. Even if they did you have 8 friesians for 5 of the limo's

Slava Ukrainii

Willfarman wrote: »
    You’d have to budget 70 days at 3€ a day. 200€ plus mart expenses. Unless Larry gave you a price rise you wouldn’t put a packet of peanuts beside a January pint off the back of your labor.

That's true...I hate to let a 630kg animal off in the mart for that money if it was me. That's my argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

That's true...I hate to let a 630kg animal off in the mart for that money if it was me. That's my argument.

Bought a couple of good Charolais at 600kg for a hundred more than that friesian late one day at the mart. Unfortunately the way it is someone has to loose for another man to make anything and I'm not saying I'll make a pile on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

ELP wrote: »
    First Lm was 7/17 so hope it will do OK off grass next year at that money.
    Other two are 3/18 so just off cow.
    First pic is ch
    Second is older lm
    Third is ch and lm from this year

U got value there if they don’t leave a margin the store games a waste of time I’d say the Older heifer will do ok she looks a bigger frame for her weight was this at a Tyrone mart on Saturday. Buyers seem more cautious buying lighter weanling and stores this year seen a lot of store cattle with 2 moves making well under 2 per kg they couldn’t have left much of a margin

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Bought a couple of good Charolais at 600kg for a hundred more than that friesian late one day at the mart. Unfortunately the way it is someone has to loose for another man to make anything and I'm not saying I'll make a pile on them.

TBH most of the profit is in the buying it pays to sit on your hands a lot of the time. Bought 400ishkg Friesians in late July for around the 500 mark, they are serious cattle now. I always think stores bought in July/August leave the most margin if you can put weigh on them before housing. The same day I bought 3 very light sub 350kg Limo bullocks(s April '16 born there was no gra for them. They will go over 36 months but two will grade U its a matter of banging on weight to them and letting them grade.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

TBH most of the profit is in the buying it pays to sit on your hands a lot of the time. Bought 400ishkg Friesians in late July for around the 500 mark, they are serious cattle now. I always think stores bought in July/August leave the most margin if you can put weigh on them before housing. The same day I bought 3 very light sub 350kg Limo bullocks(s April '16 born there was no gra for them. They will go over 36 months but two will grade U its a matter of banging on weight to them and letting them grade.

A lot better value in 400kg calf in september rather than the equivalrnt in November. Cattle weigh like lead after months of spetmb3er and october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Any update on how the marts are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Theheff wrote: »
    Any update on how the marts are doing.

They're closed till after X-mas.:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Fr bull calves for nothing today in Bandon. Calves that made 80 ish last week 25 to 35 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Fr bull calves for nothing today in Bandon. Calves that made 80 ish last week 25 to 35 today

Dairy lads will start fattening their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Muckit wrote: »
    Dairy lads will start fattening their own

I saw 3 calfs in skibb Fri, aa bull 150, Hereford 200+, . Unfortunately weanlings were only making a small bit more, 250kg aa bull ai bred, 440 Euro. Fresian cows 3 to 4 hundred. infairness it was small. every fellow talking about the new Mart in trallee. Is it much better

I saw 3 calfs in skibb Fri, aa bull 150, Hereford 200+, . Unfortunately weanlings were only making a small bit more, 250kg aa bull ai bred, 440 Euro. Fresian cows 3 to 4 hundred. infairness it was small. every fellow talking about the new Mart in trallee. Is it much better

I herd gortatlea mart is sponsoring the West cork junior football championship next year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I herd gortatlea mart is sponsoring the West cork junior football championship next year ;)

Gortatlea will be sending a man to to the moon if you were to believe everything you heard about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

There is a little shrine in every west cork village to the man. It's the only Mart I hear people talking about, he's buying them in th yard, he's arranging transport, reports of people buying cattle in skibb Mart and selling in trallee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

There is a little shrine in every west cork village to the man. It's the only Mart I hear people talking about, he's buying them in th yard, he's arranging transport, reports of people buying cattle in skibb Mart and selling in trallee.

Know of trucks still going there every week from skibb. 3 weeks ago 70 cull cows went there from skibb....those cattle normally destined for skibb but prices not as good..when compared to GLEA..But have to know your costs...20per animal tsp plus 25kg avg weight loss as waiting soo long to be sold. I sold few there ended up bout 80head better off after costs deducted...now gap is bout 60 head diff....but if you have trace of black in weanling..GLEA not place for them .
    No point in closing skibb down as would be severe loss....just hope this gets mart mgr up off his ass to sort the issue that everyone knows about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Not so bad, finally going for what they are worth. Hopefully all bought by exporters.

Not so bad, finally going for what they are worth. Hopefully all bought by exporters.

Their is a lot of head in the sand stuff, of who exactly is going to take the spring flush of dairy bulls this spring, only so many will be exported and I can see shippers getting very picky choosing calves, a bobby calf scheme might be needed a lot quicker then envisioned, but this new shiny “social license” might overwhelm the vast majority of dairy lads to rear them haha

Their is a lot of head in the sand stuff, of who exactly is going to take the spring flush of dairy bulls this spring, only so many will be exported and I can see shippers getting very picky choosing calves, a bobby calf scheme might be needed a lot quicker then envisioned, but this new shiny “social license” might overwhelm the vast majority of dairy lads to rear them haha

The only dairy bulls that are totally unviable are the JEX calves. Nearly all Friesians are viable either for export, to be carried for young bull U16 month and U24 month. or to be finished as bullocks in one form or another. Lads may cop on and pay less but there is still a market at a price. Issue will be the disposal of the extreme dairy cross breds

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The only dairy bulls that are totally unviable are the JEX calves. Nearly all Friesians are viable either for export, to be carried for young bull U16 month and U24 month. or to be finished as bullocks in one form or another. Lads may cop on and pay less but there is still a market at a price. Issue will be the disposal of the extreme dairy cross breds

Fr at 16 months? Ur tbe one thats saying Theres money feeding an animal in a shed

I think the problem is the export feedlots are being caught with frx calves that do not grow,they are mad for the fr bull calves but they lose money on these frx calves and it is hard to distinguish between them most of times .This is becoming a big problem for the exporters

• Advertisement

Money in the friesian's as long as someone makes a loss somewhere along the line. Be it the man that rears the calf and sells it as a weanling/store for less than the cost of production or the man who buys him to finish.
    If the latter is to make a turn on him he won't be giving the former enough to cover his costs. If the former is to make anything the finisher has to pay too much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think the problem is the export feedlots are being caught with frx calves that do not grow,they are mad for the fr bull calves but they lose money on these frx calves and it is hard to distinguish between them most of times .This is becoming a big problem for the exporters
    Can they just not go onto icbf and submit the tag number?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Wouldnt mind that the week before xmas, dealers dont want to be caught with calves over xmas until marts open again. Calves be as dear as ever again in the new year!

Wouldnt mind that the week before xmas, dealers dont want to be caught with calves over xmas until marts open again. Calves be as dear as ever again in the new year!

Your probably right, for a second there I thought the €3:20/kg had knocked some sence into lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your probably right, for a second there I thought the €3:20/kg had knocked some sence into lads.

For an industry that is full of hard noses cynics it is also a given that the price will have f all bearing on things.

Danzy wrote: »
    For an industry that is full of hard noses cynics it is also a given that the price will have f all bearing on things.

Fr cull cows are the same price as this time last year but back €150 to 200 in the factory....do the mat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fr cull cows are the same price as this time last year but back €150 to 200 in the factory....do the mat!

I know they are and looking at factory prices today and Mart prices, there is no tie in.

Though it is definitely more nuts in the calf ring.

It doesn't seem to stop people, it is a road that will run out though.

Jobs, wives,pensions etc are subsidizing the ring.

Fr at 16 months? Ur tbe one thats saying Theres money feeding an animal in a shed

There are a fair few lads that do it. Not a huge fan as it is labour intensive at the start and capital intensive at finishing stage. Fair degree of expertise involved between buying right calf at right money and getting feeding and growth rate right. But lads that do it continue to do it year after year
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Can they just not go onto icbf and submit the tag number?

Too late when you have him bought.

Slava Ukrainii

Danzy wrote: »
    I know they are and looking at factory prices today and Mart prices, there is no tie in.

Though it is definitely more nuts in the calf ring.

It doesn't seem to stop people, it is a road that will run out though.

Jobs, wives,pensions etc are subsidizing the ring.

You forgot sfp. Without it and the pensioners the Marts would be empty. I see it every week, old lads polling other to get the nice Charolais, if they lose money on him what harm the sfp will subsidise that the land cruiser and the Ifor. The pension every week will keep the bread on the table.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    You forgot sfp. Without it and the pensioners the Marts would be empty. I see it every week, old lads polling other to get the nice Charolais, if they lose money on him what harm the sfp will subsidise that the land cruiser and the Ifor. The pension every week will keep the bread on the table.

Ha ha I've only another 29 years to go to buy Amber charolais so..... Can't wait!

Advertisement