Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bought some 2weeks ago they were 360 and cost 550. Most lots that weight were making 40-50 more but these had 3 moves. Cattle were quite hot that day.

They are supposed to have dropped a bit since but I was not in the mart to see

To be honest I think to many lads buying stores to bring to slaughter get too worried about movements and QA in general. As you see yourself they can be bought cheaper and you can let them run into 35 months and still get them on the grid.
    Gave up worrying about QA when buying. If the animal comes at the right price well thats the most important thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Robson99 wrote: »
    To be honest I think to many lads buying stores to bring to slaughter get too worried about movements and QA in general. As you see yourself they can be bought cheaper and you can let them run into 35 months and still get them on the grid.
    Gave up worrying about QA when buying. If the animal comes at the right price well thats the most important thing

It is something I never worry at the end of the day across a bunch of Friesians on a good day only 35% will be O= at 30 months. I do not even worry about 36 months if the animal is at the right price. You wil always get one away in a load but if the price is right and you do get a 20c penalty you can afford to accept it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

It is something I never worry at the end of the day across a bunch of Friesians on a good day only 35% will be O= at 30 months. I do not even worry about 36 months if the animal is at the right price. You wil always get one away in a load but if the price is right and you do get a 20c penalty you can afford to accept it.

Even with good contenintal cattle. Its amazing the ways lads back off bidding when say a 24 month old 450kg animal comes into the ring compared to one say 14 months old or say one with 3 movements
    An extra 15 / 20 days grazing gaining 1kg overweight would compensate for the QA loss

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Are continental culls going well in mart at the moment ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

sonnybill wrote: »
    Are continental culls going well in mart at the moment ?

The cow trade is holding it's own here in the North West, young fleshed cows are in particular demand. In general for fleshed cows either side of €1.80 a kg is the going rate with up to €2 a kg for young muscular cows. The store cow trade seems to have slipped slightly in the last week or so. I sold an average CHx cow last week 540kg @ €850 for a neighbor, she calved a dead calf 2 months ago and only started to thrive in the last few weeks.

Was in Gortnalea today. There seems to be a large amount of forward stores in both heifers and bullocks sold there. I taught lot of the finished cattle would leave 50-70+ fees to the lads buying them. A large amount were not QA. The forward stores that were within around 70 days of finish will leave the buyers about 100 euro if finished prices remain the same as at present. What I was surprised about was the about of 24-30 month finished bulls sold there. Most were R grade bulls and were selling for 1.5-1.8/kg live weight(2.9-3.3/kg DW). Very little lighter cattle there so hard to get stuck in.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was in Gortnalea today. There seems to be a large amount of forward stores in both heifers and bullocks sold there. I taught lot of the finished cattle would leave 50-70+ fees to the lads buying them. A large amount were not QA. The forward stores that were within around 70 days of finish will leave the buyers about 100 euro if finished prices remain the same as at present. What I was surprised about was the about of 24-30 month finished bulls sold there. Most were R grade bulls and were selling for 1.5-1.8/kg live weight(2.9-3.3/kg DW). Very little lighter cattle there so hard to get stuck in.

Selling live might be a better option for bulls now because once they leave the farm they are gone. No waiting and costly feeding. Agents have a better chance of getting them killed quick.
    With regards the forward stores, why should lads keep them and prices only heading south. Probably a few of them will be dead by mid morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    Selling live might be a better option for bulls now because once they leave the farm they are gone. No waiting and costly feeding. Agents have a better chance of getting them killed quick.
    With regards the forward stores, why should lads keep them and prices only heading south. Probably a few of them will be dead by mid morning too.
    Killed a load during the week, mixture of bullocks and bulls (some overage). No delay getting them killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Impossible to get stock killed down here. Over half the kill is still house cattle.

• Advertisement

The forward stores would not be FS 3 most were Friesian, FRX or Continental and they needed 50-70 days grass to get into FS3 IMO. As well the smore of the more finished cattle that were HE and AA were not QA so if held 70 days the breed premium and QA were in play as well as a climb in grade. While the price is heading south at present it is not as rapid as normal Junes for a few reasons we are working off a lower base price than normal and it started earlier because of cattle throughput.

There was a lot more younger cattle killed last autumn/early winter compared to previous years and at this stage the kill is 43K higher than 2018 and rising and 63K higher on the 5 year average in a year where the kill is supposed to drop 40-60K below 2018 levels because of exports in 2017 and early 2018. So prices may not keep going south.

Slava Ukrainii

The forward stores would not be FS 3 most were Friesian, FRX or Continental and they needed 50-70 days grass to get into FS3 IMO. As well the smore of the more finished cattle that were HE and AA were not QA so if held 70 days the breed premium and QA were in play as well as a climb in grade. While the price is heading south at present it is not as rapid as normal Junes for a few reasons we are working off a lower base price than normal and it started earlier because of cattle throughput.

There was a lot more younger cattle killed last autumn/early winter compared to previous years and at this stage the kill is 43K higher than 2018 and rising and 63K higher on the 5 year average in a year where the kill is supposed to drop 40-60K below 2018 levels because of exports in 2017 and early 2018. So prices may not keep going south.

Here's fingers crossed.

Here's fingers crossed.

Ya it's an inexact science. If there was a suckler or dairy cow cull it could skew numbers but with talks of a suckler reduction scheme lads will try to keep numbers up. Large dairy cull last year so it is unlikely to be much higher this year.

Slava Ukrainii

I was in Castlerea today for a short while, sold 2 bullocks for an uncle. A SIM born September 17, 545kg @ €1270 and a LM born November 17, 605kg @ €1385. He was happy enough with the prices and bullocks seemed to be a good trade all round. They'd have cost circa €800 in April 18 and there comrades were sold back in March.

There wasn't that much stock on offer, I had intended buying a few light weanlings but there was nothing to suit. I've had the flu the last few days so didn't delay that long but there seemed to be plenty of buyers about for all types.

Anybody in the mart thsi week. Have 350kg Friesians softened. The Indo had it that 3-400kg stores are back over the last 10 day

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Anybody in the mart thsi week. Have 350kg Friesians softened. The Indo had it that 3-400kg stores are back over the last 10 day

Was at macroom last Saturday & had Jan 18 friesian bullocks 470kgs €800 & Angus bullocks Feb 18 428kgs €825. Don't know what lighter friesian were making as haulier sold mine.

• Advertisement

Are cattle back in the Mart’s ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What are continental cows going like? Have a few 600/700 kg cows that would feed into good size cows. Sell as incalf or to the mart ring for feeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Are cattle back in the Mart’s ?

I was chatting a guy earlier who was at mart today. It was small he noted alot of the usual buyers were not there & any there were there were buying very little. Trade was poor for big stock. Take a fair animal to make €1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Ballymahon last Thursday. 440kg €1330. 480kg €1350 and 460kg €1280
    They were nice Charolais yearlings but it's hard to see a future with them.

huey1975 wrote: »

IF the buyer is replacing stock sold for slaughter its hard to see him have much of a margin over costs, A 400kg DW bullock at present will make about 1550, a 450DW bullock will make about 1750 euro. That leaves a gross margin of 2-400 euro before costs. I have seen cattle advertized on DD at present friesian bullocks 1.8/kg, herefords and AA at 2/kg. Any lad paying that for to replace cattle slaughtered or for slaughterer is losing money. A 350Kg DW Fr (over 700 LW) is not coming into 1200 euro and a 350DW FR or AA is only hitting 1300 euro in the factors and they would be good animals

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Alot of Brexit talk again also. Giving €3 a kg for stores is madness in the current environment. Will we see over the €4 a kg in the factories again not to mention €4.40 + that were paid out when the market was going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

Theheff wrote: »
    Alot of Brexit talk again also. Giving €3 a kg for stores is madness in the current environment. Will we see over the €4 a kg in the factories again not to mention €4.40 + that were paid out when the market was going well.

Eh, Brexit hasn't happened yet. It's just yet another excuse being used by the price fixing monopoly/cartel that controls the beef industry to pay a rubbish price for beef.

IF the buyer is replacing stock sold for slaughter its hard to see him have much of a margin over costs, A 400kg DW bullock at present will make about 1550, a 450DW bullock will make about 1750 euro. That leaves a gross margin of 2-400 euro before costs. I have seen cattle advertized on DD at present friesian bullocks 1.8/kg, herefords and AA at 2/kg. Any lad paying that for to replace cattle slaughtered or for slaughterer is losing money. A 350Kg DW Fr (over 700 LW) is not coming into 1200 euro and a 350DW FR or AA is only hitting 1300 euro in the factors and they would be good animals

Ya bunch plain but well done fr blks in macroom Saturday 580kg 980....now there was a woeful row over them.

Bullocks back to €3.60. You are being optimistic with Your finished prices I’m afraid.

I noticed that myself watching the live stream afterwards, I'm assuming they were the one man's stock and possibly all bought by the same customer. It's a tight touch for them with the way the beef game is going but there's always a few stand out prices in every sale. Having said that the last few bullocks struggled to average €2 a kg for goodish continental cattle only a few minutes later. It's looking like a lot of lads want to buy weanlings or light bullocks and sell back through the ring as forward stores, that won't work en masse unless there's someone left to calve cows and finish cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What are October 375kg yellow CHX bull weanlings making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Not many about yet but all cattle were struggling last week, I saw good stuff like that making less than €950.
    They should be worth €1050 - €1150

I'd be thinking anywhere from €900 to €1050 for average to goodish types although it's a bit early and there's no weanlings about in any great numbers. If you could clinch the €1000 or near enough at those weight's then I wouldn't consider it too bad with the way the trade is at the moment.

Not many about yet but all cattle were struggling last week, I saw good stuff like that making less than €950.
    They should be worth €1050 - €1150

Was that gortatlea, the bulls were supposed to be a bad trade we'd night.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Weanling sale on in Kenmare last Thursday and it was shocking bad,380 kg CH 900€ and they were classy lads.
    Back 100€ in a few weeks

• Advertisement

One of the main bull buyers for fattening down here has very little cattle, says he is terrified of brexit in Oct.

milligan2 wrote: »
    Weanling sale on in Kenmare last Thursday and it was shocking bad,380 kg CH 900€ and they were classy lads.
    Back 100€ in a few weeks

It's still early for the weanling trade in fairness, confidence in the beef trade has nosedived due to a combination of factors recently and many client's are holding out for longer in an attempt to see what the future has in store. I wouldn't be rushing to sell calves just yet if possible, this is always a funny time of year imo. Lads are flat out at different jobs on a good day and money can be scarce for many, I can't see the back end of the year being any dearer than average but all may not be as bad as forecasted by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I have a June yearling and 2 September weanlings. They all in good order 300kg+.
    Am I better selling them now or holding for another month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sold a big fr cull cow today in nenagh 690 kg 955 .this cow should of died in February got e coli. list 2 quarters barely ate for 2 weeks lots marbocyl straw Bed fluid pumped to stomach few times joined milking herd again late March (never milked)slowly came back to herself ,not too often u get a good luck story like that

milligan2 wrote: »
    Back 100€ in a few weeks

Finished bullocks back €100 in the factory this last few weeks too. 25cent a kg to be exact and there wasn’t much to be made a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bought a cracker of a lim heifer today. 12 months, 380kg, 1060.

Bought a cracker of a lim heifer today. 12 months, 380kg, 1060.

Ennis I assume? What was the trade like in general and much about. Where's the best place in Clare to go for nice shorthorn slips in the back end? It won't happen this year but I'd love to source a few proper SH heifers to bull, there the best cow for the West imo. I seen a few that came out of Clare over the years and they were great cows, easy ran and good mother's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ennis I assume? What was the trade like in general and much about. Where's the best place in Clare to go for nice shorthorn slips in the back end? It won't happen this year but I'd love to source a few proper SH heifers to bull, there the best cow for the West imo. I seen a few that came out of Clare over the years and they were great cows, easy ran and good mother's.

Ya ennis. Trade was ok I thought but died off as the sale went on. Was 180 heifers in it, didn't go near the bull ring. There's a shorthorn and shorthorn cross sale in kilfenora at the end of every October and I think they have one in ennis aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Remember my father and a few others buying shorthorn heifers in the mid 90’s
    We’d 4, 1 blue & 3 roan
    Great cows but as heifers they’d climb a quarry face & jump 3 strand of wire

• Advertisement

Pidae.m wrote: »
    One of the main bull buyers for fattening down here has very little cattle, says he is terrified of brexit in Oct.

Having no bulls makes sense but little cattle doesn't. Reducing cattle in big numbers will have an consequence for tax returns. Maybe he lost his shirt as did many finishing bulls this winter/spring.

Having no bulls makes sense but little cattle doesn't. Reducing cattle in big numbers will have an consequence for tax returns. Maybe he lost his shirt as did many finishing bulls this winter/spring.

Most lads have a mortal fear of reducing stock numbers. First off you have to find out what stock value you are carrying and maybe associated feed costs you have on the sheets at year end. If this value is low then you will have an issue. However if it is at or near normal stock value then you should be ok. No farmer should leave himself in that trap it means you will find it hard to change or adjust your system. If lads are carrying serious losses from last winter then this may be a year where you can adjust your system.

Gets your 2018 accounts done ASAP and go through the figure with the account if it costs an extra 1-200 euro it is well worth it. As well you can adjust stock values to allow for tax issues. The way you normally get caught is taht stock are undervalued. Lads may have Store's in at a base vale of 4-500 euro each when in actual fact they are costing them 8-900 each and have 100 euro worth of feed consumed by Christmas.

If you have 100 cattle in at a base value of 500 each then there book value is 50K. However you could revalue you stock and give 50 cattle there true book value of 50K. However you would have a higher cash in hand and you have to change stock vales to adjust that. Talk to your accountant and he will advise you how to adjust it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I don't think reducing cattle numbers has consequences for tax returns. You account for it with opening and closing stock values. As an accountant said to me, don't confuse cash with profit.
    I think he'd be more likely to loose in the event of a price rise in store cattle.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Last Friday in skibb 2 chx weaning bulls nice shape 450kg 900....2 chx 320kg 840....nobody is going to want the heavy bulls... But now everyone going want lighter ones which is going to be fun....

Cull cows in Ennis today;

Fleshy types continental
    Year Kg price
    03 780 1340
    12 835 1320
    .... 790 1380
    12 755 1290

Short flesh - cont types
    16 535 880
    03 635 990
    635 1070

Dry heifer Ch x Lm 590kg E1220 , good heifer though

• Advertisement

Dry heifer Ch x Lm 590kg E1220 , good heifer though

It's not much money for what's a fair weight of a heifer, once you go into those sort of weights anything over €2kg seems a bonus at the minute. The lighter animal is more in demand imo, maybe lads are looking at long term stock and hoping to weather any price crisis in the medium term. There was a bunch of reared HEx and BBx heifer runners circa 120-150kg made from €315 to €600 (rough average €400) last night, it's hard to justify putting stock into big weights when you see what those sort of mice are making in comparison.

Cull cows and cull ewes are still good money...it doesn't make sense.

Cull cows and cull ewes are still good money...it doesn't make sense.

All going into mince, maybe ???

All going into mince, maybe ???

Still good money compared to prime.

It's not much money for what's a fair weight of a heifer, once you go into those sort of weights anything over €2kg seems a bonus at the minute. The lighter animal is more in demand imo, maybe lads are looking at long term stock and hoping to weather any price crisis in the medium term. There was a bunch of reared HEx and BBx heifer runners circa 120-150kg made from €315 to €600 (rough average €400) last night, it's hard to justify putting stock into big weights when you see what those sort of mice are making in comparison.

She been on farm two winters , poor money really

• Advertisement
Advertisement