Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

lalababa wrote: »
    WTF?? Tell me I'm wrong....
    750kg@2euro =1500 at mart.
    @50% kill out ...
    375kg@3:50base=1312
    What's going on there??

750kg x 55% kill = 412.5 x 3.50 base + 12c QA + maybe 6c bonus = €1518.

Probably lose a little between mart fees and factory stoppages but in reality a bullock at 750 live weight would be bought for further feeding (by an eternal optimism!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dunedin wrote: »
    750kg x 55% kill = 412.5 x 3.50 base + 12c QA + maybe 6c bonus = €1518.

Probably lose a little between mart fees and factory stoppages but in reality a bullock at 750 live weight would be bought for further feeding (by an eternal optimism!!)

I was in the mart last week and I taught finished bullocks were making more than they would on the factory. However a lot of lads that feed for 50-100 days are getting 29-30 more. They may be buying for direct to slaughter to make up loads

Slava Ukrainii

I was in the mart last week and I taught finished bullocks were making more than they would on the factory. However a lot of lads that feed for 50-100 days are getting 29-30 more. They may be buying for direct to slaughter to make up loads

Absolutely of course that might be the case. Might be a contract seller who is getting a bit above the rest of us either but my point was that he will make pretty similar to the €1500 ring price.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Absolutely of course that might be the case. Might be a contract seller who is getting a bit above the rest of us either but my point was that he will make pretty similar to the €1500 ring price.

Yes we'll finished Ch Bullocks will kill 53-56% depending on FS and grade will make in or around that. However a month ago they were making 100-150 less than factory price. I saw Friesian 630kgs with flesh on them make 1150 last week and not QA. With QA in the factory they would make 1050-1080 IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Normally when mart prices are higher than factories, certain people expect a price rise soon.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Normally when mart prices are higher than factories, certain people expect a price rise soon.

I think the strike may have upset the equilibrium. An agent hinted the same It was his opinion if they had stopped at 3.6/kg cattle would have kept on coming and no strike. They killed 4-6 weeks of there own cattle. Along with that cattle were going to get tight anyway. After the strike some farmers held hoping for a price rise so I hey had to use more feedlot cattle to keep line moving. They killed nearly 40k the week after the strike. I would not be surprised to see prices hitting 3.7 by end of September. If prices go up they will climb 20-30 cent in 2-3 weeks.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

If prices start to rise lads should hold off until they hit 4 euro.

If some bit of certainty comes to Brexit, a sterling price rise will help things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

If some bit of certainty comes to Brexit, a sterling price rise will help things too.

Sterling has strengthened in the last week. We won't be told about that tho!

dzer2 wrote: »
    If prices start to rise lads should hold off until they hit 4 euro.

Agree but most of us will probably have lost a bit of interest by then and even if we’re still interested, I doubt the nursing home will let us out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I think the strike may have upset the equilibrium. An agent hinted the same It was his opinion if they had stopped at 3.6/kg cattle would have kept on coming and no strike. They killed 4-6 weeks of there own cattle. Along with that cattle were going to get tight anyway. After the strike some farmers held hoping for a price rise so I hey had to use more feedlot cattle to keep line moving. They killed nearly 40k the week after the strike. I would not be surprised to see prices hitting 3.7 by end of September. If prices go up they will climb 20-30 cent in 2-3 weeks.

God Love your optimism Bass!

When have you ever seen price rise this time of year?

God Love your optimism Bass!

When have you ever seen price rise this time of year?

Twice about 6-10 years ago. Both times had a few for sale, last time got 3.7/ flat for Friesian bullocks base was 3.7 at the time weather was excellent at the time , time before than something similar. For the last 5-6 years kill during the autumn gas remained very strong. If numbers drop prices will rise simple as that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I hope you’re right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Twice about 6-10 years ago. Both times had a few for sale, last time got 3.7/ flat for Friesian bullocks base was 3.7 at the time weather was excellent at the time , time before than something similar. For the last 5-6 years kill during the autumn gas remained very strong. If numbers drop prices will rise simple as that.

I think in 2017 prices strengthened going into November also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Think factories have succeeded in dropping prices of store's, sold some and took my pain at 1.90 to 2.25 in skibb. Lighter made more money makes no sence. Weanlngs unbelievable trade, upto 3.30 "for fancy white charalois and same in macroom yest. Something v wrong when animals being sold will only make 200 more than animals a year older.
    Clearly weaning trade not affected yet......in this side country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

Anyone know what decent 6 month old British Friesian bulls would be making in the mart at the moment?

niallf wrote: »
    Anyone know what decent 6 month old British Friesian bulls would be making in the mart at the moment?

euro/kg I say

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

niallf wrote: »

1/1.20 kg max

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

Any idea what 19 months good square British fresians bulls 560kg. Are making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

cam1452 wrote: »

Suckler bred square cattle are at €1.90 a kilo around here. €1.50 to €1.65 a kilo is my guess but that's only a guess.

• Advertisement

cam1452 wrote: »
    Grueller wrote: »
    Suckler bred square cattle are at €1.90 a kilo around here. €1.50 to €1.65 a kilo is my guess but that's only a guess.

Not a hope, have not seen them selling as every lad is holding them. Last winter they made 3-3.3/kg DW. At present accordingly to the FJ they are making 3.2-3.3 in the factory. They have to be finished which means for them housing and silage and ration or ration and straw, It will cost more to feed them than They put on in weight at present prices.

Some of the lighter ones sub 450 kgs are being squeezed. Unless you have a contract there is no point finishing them. Yes you can gamble but a lot of farmers are fed up gambling. I can already hear the whispers ''this is the year to finish cattle''

With present and last winter prices taking an optimistic outlook of 3.5/kg at Christmas and that is very optimistic,giving the feeder 100 euro margin the price would be 1.25/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Was in castleisland Monday and prices varied but 2 main buyers were poling each other mad , a black lm bull now in fairness he was nice 420 kg made 1050 , red lm similar weight we’re making around 900 , there was a smashing sim bull 350 kg went for 625 ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Prices back 100 a head in the last week or so

Seems the lads protesting who thought the mart price would go up because of the protests are sadly mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Panch18 wrote: »
    Prices back 100 a head in the last week or so

Seems the lads protesting who thought the mart price would go up because of the protests are sadly mistaken

They were probably just 2 lads and one of them doesn't even own cattle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Saw a report on Castlerea yesterday, farmers need their heads examined if it was them that were paying the prices for the weinlings quoted, I hope for their own sake it was exporters because otherwise they are holding onto cattle for the next year at a loss from day 1. When will they learn.

Saw some char weanlings selling today in Ennis
    Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

Explain those prices.........

Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

Exporters, bfp, old age pension, habit and lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

Were they similar shape class?
    Hard to follow at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

The exporter is looking for the call 300-350kg
    Heavy bulls have taken a hit
    Did I see somewhere that vistar are looking 500kg+ for export?

• Advertisement

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Were they similar shape class?
    Hard to follow at the moment

Not that much of a quality difference, to explain the price difference IYKWIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Not that much of a quality difference, to explain the price difference IYKWIM.
    the lighter ones are doing ok so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have some heavy good charolais bulls, I'm thinking you'd be aswell off squeezing them rather than letting them go cheap, young charolais bullocks 550kg plus be dearer in May..... An awful long time to keep them though...

High bike wrote: »
    the lighter ones are doing ok so?

Ya, I have a few here that age and weight (I know thanks to BEEP). Usually put on meal from now to early Nov. Looks likd I'd be better to get them gone sooner than later.

Ya, I have a few here that age and weight (I know thanks to BEEP). Usually put on meal from now to early Nov. Looks likd I'd be better to get them gone sooner than later.
    prob wouldn’t pay to feed them this year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The good quality farmers calf 250-350kg is every bit as dear as any year imo (either side of €2.50 a kilo). A neighbor sold 4 CHx and LMx spring 19 born weanlings last week, 320kg averaged €840 each, the best quality lad was 315kg @ €900. It's the heavier or plainer calf that's taking the hit, anything over 400kg, agey or plain isn't wanted full stop and is struggling to break the €2 a kilo. The exporters were a help the last few weeks for suitable stock but I'm told there full up atm so it remains to be seem how the trade reacts this week. Another man sold a bundle of bulls 350-450kg the same night, all CHx but mixed quality. They made from €780-900 each at a range of weights, the heavier calf is definitely not paying at the current time. He had one smasher of a CHx bull 500kg @ €1005, the creep feeder should only be providing shelter from the rain this back end imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

The good quality farmers calf 250-350kg is every bit as dear as any year imo (either side of €2.50 a kilo). A neighbor sold 4 CHx and LMx spring 19 born weanlings last week, 320kg averaged €840 each, the best quality lad was 315kg @ €900. It's the heavier or plainer calf that's taking the hit, anything over 400kg, agey or plain isn't wanted full stop and is struggling to break the €2 a kilo. The exporters were a help the last few weeks for suitable stock but I'm told there full up atm so it remains to be seem how the trade reacts this week. Another man sold a bundle of bulls 350-450kg the same night, all CHx but mixed quality. They made from €780-900 each at a range of weights, the heavier calf is definitely not paying at the current time. He had one smasher of a CHx bull 500kg @ €1005, the creep feeder should only be providing shelter from the rain this back end imo.

Any increase in feedlot activity buying store cattle

K9 wrote: »
    Any increase in feedlot activity buying store cattle

Not that I've seen but then I don't see that much forward stores sold being honest, it's more weanlings/runners and cows. I'm told the bullock trade is worsening by the day, there's 700 odd heifers for Elphin tomorrow so may call in for a look in the evening. The cow trade is about the steadiest market atm, there's good demand for fleshed and store cows of all types and there starting to become plentiful.

Not that I've seen but then I don't see that much forward stores sold being honest, it's more weanlings/runners and cows. I'm told the bullock trade is worsening by the day, there's 700 odd heifers for Elphin tomorrow so may call in for a look in the evening. The cow trade is about the steadiest market atm, there's good demand for fleshed and store cows of all types and there starting to become plentiful.
    If lads can’t get finished cattle away then they can’t buy in. Also with weather worsening there is no point being over stocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Qty WEight Price DOB
    2 478kg 850 ....aug 18
    2 410 880 ....dec 18
    1 320 890 ....feb 19
    1 360 980 ....feb 19

Buyers left their house & forgot to take tablets!! Cuckoo prices down west cork one man buying everything for the boat

grange mac wrote: »
    Buyers left their house & forgot to take tablets!! Cuckoo prices down west cork one man buying everything for the boat

Well, if he's buying for the boat, then they're hardly cuckoo prices. Unless he's a young guy starting out spending other people's money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well, if he's buying for the boat, then they're hardly cuckoo prices. Unless he's a young guy starting out spending other people's money.

Exporters only come if there's value,
    I was in a farmers Coop in france a few years back, A beef factory and an assembly depot for exporting in to italy, even had a little ambulance to collect casualty cattle.
    Because of the heat they transported cattle only at night to the depot, there must have been ten lorries between the weanlings and the factory.
    Another fleet then bringing the weanling overnight to Italy.
    It's madness it this country to be depending on one outlet into a commodity market for 80% of our cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The 350 kg calf today is 400kg inlate october so why discount the heavier weanling today? actually dont answer that farmers is the answer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

grassroot1 wrote: »
    The 350 kg calf today is 400kg inlate october so why discount the heavier weanling today? actually dont answer that farmers is the answer

The lighter calf can be castrated. The heavier bulls are limited to one type of buyer, a finisher u16 mths.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

I wonder who is buying the heavy weanlings now that u16 beef is finished?
    There is still trade for them at 2€ a kilo.
    Have a few 450 kg lads here,could I castrate them at that weight?they are December 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

milligan2 wrote: »
    Have a few 450 kg lads here,could I castrate them at that weight?they are December 18
    Best advice is to talk to your Vet as he/she is the only person that can legally do so.

milligan2 wrote: »
    Yes

Slava Ukrainii

grassroot1 wrote: »

Blue beat me to it but the squeezing the heavier calf compared to the lighter lad isn't as straight forward amongst other issues. Secondly the men selling forward stores circa 600kg @ €1200 may only be prepared to pay €800 for a calf to replace them regardless of the weight of the calf. Finally the lighter calf is a long-term preposition and the buyer may hope to have weathered the current storm by the time sale time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

called to gortalea for awhile this evening, only saw runners sale, what a rob...
    Same as Patsy,
    245kg CH bull plain enough é745
    315kg blk LM bull well shaped é815
    200kg CH plain bull é715

2 month old HE heifer calf é315

usual suspects buying, didn't stay for the weanling as I expected they would be a poorer trade, think mine will be sold at 300kg mark this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

200 kg charolais 715?????

what, seriously

There’s a suckler show and sale there tomorrow.Was going to go but can’t make it now

• Advertisement
Advertisement