Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I take it the box was still rattling going home? If so I would always prefer to be sorry for not buying it rather than the other way round.

Definitely empty, ya same here. Don't have many cows this year so I was going to buy a few handy ones for the winter. Called into tullamore tonight. Strange trade. Light chx Heifers 300 kg just short of 2:50 kg, anything over 400kg nice ones struggle to get 2euro kg.

I agree about a stronger trade for the lighter weanling, anything over 350kg in either bulls or heifers isn't too badly wanted. I don't know if lads are hoping to weather the storm with longer keep stock or if the farmer is going to do the same thing as they've always​ done regardless of the beef trade. As regards something to buy I'd be more inclined to buy a few young hungry cull cow's if you had ample silage and store them over until the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I agree about a stronger trade for the lighter weanling, anything over 350kg in either bulls or heifers isn't too badly wanted. I don't know if lads are hoping to weather the storm with longer keep stock or if the farmer is going to do the same thing as they've always​ done regardless of the beef trade. As regards something to buy I'd be more inclined to buy a few young hungry cull cow's if you had ample silage and store them over until the spring.

What would a lad have to pay for them Albert? Say cont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Was not at a mart lately but from donedeal lads are looking for good money particularly angus & hereford heifers.

Muckit wrote: »
    What would a lad have to pay for them Albert? Say cont?

That's a good question Muckit although I'd expect to pay between €1.50-1.80 a kilo for good young continental store cows atm. It depends on the cow of course but I'd try to target a good O/R cow that would feed into 700kg +. Older or poorer type cows will be cheaper but they won't thrive as well typically and can present more health or age related problems.

I haven't really gone through the economics of it as such and I'm sure Bass or similar will be along with the cold hard figures which might blow my plan out of the water. However I'd be more inclined to feed cows over weanlings for a number of reasons,
    •Pneumonia or other weanling associated illnesses shouldn't be a problem,
    • Easier to see what your getting as regards size and frame (the cow won't be getting any bigger or longer just heavier).
    •A full grown cow should do better on average silage than a growing weanling
    •Quicker turnaround until slaughter.
    •If you put them back to grass they'll quality as a full livestock unit next summer for the ANC.

There are however a few downsides to cow's,
    •TB would be my main concern (more likely to show in older animals)
    •A certain percentage of cows will prove incalf which can be problematic.
    •Some cows won't thrive for one reason or another (bad feet, chronic mastitis etc).
    •Mastitis can be a problem if put back to grass next summer and they can introduce outside diseases/parasites if in contact with your own breeding herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Theheff wrote: »
    Was not at a mart lately but from donedeal lads are looking for good money particularly angus & hereford heifers.

They can look for it getting it is another thing ,see lots of lads looking for bannanas money for fr bulls too ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A euro/kg for the friesian/AA and 1.5/kg for the HE, they look below average weanlings
    Not so many years ago I would be on the look out for those types. A dose, vaccination, mineral bolus and a bit of tlc and they would turn inside out. One with another you could make a nice few quid on them as stores or finished if bought right. They are very much in the working clothes, iykwim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They were far worse than average lol

I said below average not how far below. Buying calves and any store is an amazing art. If the calf is well done for the first 3-6 weeks no matter what set back they suffer after they will recover fast(compensatory growth) but a calf that get sick or starves during the first 6 weeks will struggle to thrive no matter how well he is done after that.
    That why Friesians are often a great better than average buying no matter how sh!tty they look. Usually they are born early in the calving season and farmers are more thorough. Also the dairy farmer treats them the same as heifer calves as they are all together. Most sh!tty friesian stores turn into good bullocks.
    That's a good question Muckit although I'd expect to pay between €1.50-1.80 a kilo for good young continental store cows atm. It depends on the cow of course but I'd try to target a good O/R cow that would feed into 700kg +. Older or poorer type cows will be cheaper but they won't thrive as well typically and can present more health or age related problems.

I haven't really gone through the economics of it as such and I'm sure Bass or similar will be along with the cold hard figures which might blow my plan out of the water. However I'd be more inclined to feed cows over weanlings for a number of reasons,
    •Pneumonia or other weanling associated illnesses shouldn't be a problem, Usually not an issue with bucket fed(dairy) calves
    • Easier to see what your getting as regards size and frame (the cow won't be getting any bigger or longer just heavier).
    •A full grown cow should do better on average silage than a growing weanling But a hungry one will eat mor silage than 3-5 weanlings and 1kg/head of ration will turn weanlins inside out
    •Quicker turnaround until slaughter. Weanlings are a longterm bet the time to buy is when they are on the floor
    •If you put them back to grass they'll quality as a full livestock unit next summer for the ANC. However weanlings will get out earlier, stay out longer in the autumn. However they are longer term.

There are however a few downsides to cow's,
    •TB would be my main concern (more likely to show in older animals)
    •A certain percentage of cows will prove incalf which can be problematic.
    •Some cows won't thrive for one reason or another (bad feet, chronic mastitis etc).
    •Mastitis can be a problem if put back to grass next summer and they can introduce outside diseases/parasites if in contact with your own breeding herd.
    Base price wrote: »
    Not so many years ago I would be on the look out for those types. A dose, vaccination, mineral bolus and a bit of tlc and they would turn inside out. One with another you could make a nice few quid on them as stores or finished if bought right. They are very much in the working clothes, iykwim.

Turn over time with weanlings is the issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Anyone in the marts this week know what prices Friesen bullocks approx. 450-500kg (around 18 months old & good condition) are getting ? TIA

wiilow74 wrote: »
    Anyone in the marts this week know what prices Friesen bullocks approx. 450-500kg (around 18 months old & good condition) are getting ? TIA

I bought some last week 480kgs 660 euro, 510kgs 670euro. From that 1.3-1.4/kg and some went cheaper to lads around the ring.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I bought some last week 480kgs 660 euro, 510kgs 670euro. From that 1.3-1.4/kg and some went cheaper to lads around the ring.
    I have a few of those guys, I have silage. 660 don't seem like a lot, what's the math to out winter and sell in March. They would be 2yrs old then. About 160 days to paddys day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

in macroom saturday 6 in the bunch 420kgs 605 nice square lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Have 2 Ch hefs 18 months old 400 -450kg. Any idea what they making?

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Have 2 Ch hefs 18 months old 400 -450kg. Any idea what they making?

At a guess €1.80-2.20 a kilo depending on quality, double the weight is buying nice stores in bullocks and heifers atm but it's hard to say without seeing them. There not overly heavy for there ages either imo.

At a guess €1.80-2.20 a kilo depending on quality, double the weight is buying nice stores in bullocks and heifers atm but it's hard to say without seeing them. There not overly heavy for there ages either imo.[/quote]
    Wouldn't have gotten much ration ,small bit while outwintered.
    Disappointed with lighted one,seems to have dropped back from her mates. Heavier one repeating today so they'll be in the trailer soon.

It's hard to get them all where you want them and certain cattle seem to stall as regards thriving from now on in my experience. The power is nearly gone out of the grass for another year, feeding meal at grass isn't something I've ever had much faith in due to the cost but that's just me. If there nice sorts then I'd hoping for €2+ a kilo.

Need to improve how I utilize grass I say. And time to make room for what I can hold on to for winter.
    Thanks might move them this week now.

I have a few of those guys, I have silage. 660 don't seem like a lot, what's the math to out winter and sell in March. They would be 2yrs old then. About 160 days to paddys day.

Depending on how many they will be hard on 3-4 acres and where ever you outwinter them will not recover until mid May. If you have dry silage a bale will last 12-15 about about 2 days maybe longer. IT usually costs me about 80 cent to a euro to overwinter them in a shed. You will need to give them minerals as well. However they will be hungry stores and not weigh in the mart. They want a month of good grass before selling or ration over the winter. The ration changes the economics completely as eve 2kgs will add 55c/day to costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The ration changes the economics completely as eve 2kgs will add 55c/day to costs

And that probably just the raw material price and doesn't factor in attentional time and labour. Which l personally have a fixation on. If not feeding meal, horse in bales and can pull out of it for a few days whereas meal feeding is a daily chore that can become wearisome by the time next April comes along.

Muckit wrote: »
    And that probably just the raw material price and doesn't factor in attentional time and labour. Which l personally have a fixation on. If not feeding meal, horse in bales and can pull out of it for a few days whereas meal feeding is a daily chore that can become wearisome by the time next April comes along.

That is why I feed silage only to stores and have got away from weanlings. No fluting around feeding ration/nuts. Sweeping it in 2-3 times to keep crows away. Avail of compensatory growth in the spring

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Was in Ennis yesterday. Looking at the runner sale, I couldn’t help but laugh. Runner is defined as 6 months or under, which indeed most were and looked as such.
    However, no small number of calves went through the ring, which clearly were well and truly past their 6 month birthday.... reckon some were nearer to 9 months going by size and weight ....
    Then farmers blow steam about reliability of genomic numbers from ICBF...
    When Farmer Paddy, can’t report facts about calves on the ground, how in blazes can the ICBF super computer compute reliable metrics....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

... Then farmers blow steam about reliability of genomic numbers from ICBF...
    When Farmer Paddy, can’t report facts about calves on the ground, how in blazes can the ICBF super computer compute reliable metrics....

This is the beauty of statistics. A good statistical model will filter out all the crap. If a certain number of farmers lie about the birth date of their calves, then chances are, it will be done equally for all bulls in AI. Dairy farmers are less likely to do this as they want to move on their calves ASAP. All this can be factored in.
    There is also further data collected on these animals down the line, further mart weights, factory weights etc. All this can be fed into the data on the animal. If you are late registering calves by a long time, all this will flag up on the Dept system. Expect an unanounced call out when you have the place full of unregistered calves.
    I know of a few pedigree breeders that were kicked out of the society for doing this. The weights they sold bulls at premier sales, just didn't make sense. The society called into their yard and asked to see this years calves. Plenty running around untagged and dehorned.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Hi . Have an 18 month old chx heifer that I cant get in calf. Lovely golden heifer with a white head. Planning on selling her shortly. Neighbour landed into yard. Offered 900 euro for her. Shes approx 530 to 550 kgs. I was thinking bout 1100 myself for her. What ye reckon

Hi . Have an 18 month old chx heifer that I cant get in calf. Lovely golden heifer with a white head. Planning on selling her shortly. Neighbour landed into yard. Offered 900 euro for her. Shes approx 530 to 550 kgs. I was thinking bout 1100 myself for her. What ye reckon

Provided that your fairly spot on with her weight then I'd be inclined to agree with you regarding €1100. Even if she's only 500kg I'd be expecting circa €1000 once she's average quality or better. Those type of stores are making either side of €2 a kilo atm, my opinion would be to head for the mart and let him bid for her there if he's interested.

Provided that your fairly spot on with her weight then I'd be inclined to agree with you regarding €1100. Even if she's only 500kg I'd be expecting circa €1000 once she's average quality or better. Those type of stores are making either side of €2 a kilo atm, my opinion would be to head for the mart and let him bid for her there if he's interested.
    I weighed her in July and she was bang on 500kgs so she would have easily put on 30 or so kgs since. Shes a lovely quiet heifer aswell which is a shame

I weighed her in July and she was bang on 500kgs so she would have easily put on 30 or so kgs since. Shes a lovely quiet heifer aswell which is a shame[/quote]

She should be near enough the 550kg so, I'd definitely be quoting €1150 so and hold out for €1100. I know it's a shame that she didn't hold and I'm presuming she's your own breeding. Although you'd probably buy a nice incalf for a few hundred more if you were interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

He might be a neighbor but I think that he has notions of developing into a physical relationship as he is trying to ride you with that offer.
    Good luck but make sure you use lots of lube!!

huey1975 wrote: »

He might be a neighbor but I think that he has notions of developing into a physical relationship as he is trying to ride you with that offer.
    Good luck but make sure you use lots of lube!!
    Funny boy

I weighed her in July and she was bang on 500kgs so she would have easily put on 30 or so kgs since. Shes a lovely quiet heifer aswell which is a shame

She should be near enough the 550kg so, I'd definitely be quoting €1150 so and hold out for €1100. I know it's a shame that she didn't hold and I'm presuming she's your own breeding. Although you'd probably buy a nice incalf for a few hundred more if you were interested.[/quote]
    That is exactly my plan

There should be a good selection of springers available from now on. There's always a few off the scale dear sales (SIMx sale in Ballymote, O'Connor's sale in Elphin) but I often see nice natural type heifer's sold between €1200-1500 at general sales. I see a big sale of springers coming up in Ballymote some of the coming Friday nights, if I wasn't working I'd take a look in. Although the springer job seems over subscribed in recent years, every second man you talk to is buying slips and selling incalf's although less and less men want calving cows every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

How is lmx weanling bulls doing at the minute in the ring anyone seen..jan, February calves 380 to 425kg in weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Katie 2018 wrote: »
    How is lmx weanling bulls doing at the minute in the ring anyone seen..jan, February calves 380 to 425kg in weight
    These are too heavy for the shippers so you are probably looking at €2.15 a kg back to €1.70 depending on quality.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    These are too heavy for the shippers so you are probably looking at €2.15 a kg back to €1.70 depending on quality.

+1 on this, there not choice stock atm. I keep saying that once a calf comes to 300kg to offload them with the current trade. There's lots of buyers for weanlings circa 240-320kg atm between shipper's and farmer's. Except exception weanlings the circa 400kg calf making €1000+ isn't happening like other year's. I see it every week where lads show a bundle of bull weanlings and there 300kg calf makes €800 followed by a 400kg similar type again making €800. From what I see the further you go over 300kg the closer to €2 a kilo the price goes, there's some exceptional stock making more but that's the general trade that I see atm.

They will have to go anyway ground bad shape.they done well with little creep feeding pity won't be getting paid for them

They will have to go anyway ground bad shape.they done well with little creep feeding pity won't be getting paid for them

I know well, time to be either offloading or weaning them and gearing up for another winter. At least if you haven't put much meal into them there coming in at first cost. I found it was a good year for calves to thrive and I hope they do well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Depending on how many they will be hard on 3-4 acres and where ever you outwinter them will not recover until mid May. If you have dry silage a bale will last 12-15 about about 2 days maybe longer. IT usually costs me about 80 cent to a euro to overwinter them in a shed. You will need to give them minerals as well. However they will be hungry stores and not weigh in the mart. They want a month of good grass before selling or ration over the winter. The ration changes the economics completely as eve 2kgs will add 55c/day to costs
    I know your correct but these leggy guys might not thrive on concrete slats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Markets a bit funny at moment sold two this week. 2 heifers lim. Black but out of good suckler cows. 11 months old 420 kg €835 and other one 440kg €800. Does seem the heavier the less they make. AVG €1.90 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone selling finshed heifers in the mart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone selling finshed heifers in the mart?

Sold 2 classy heifers, 560kgs 1140 & 525kgs 1090 in the mart, got a comrade into the factory who was slightly better, killed out 375kgs, made 1397.
    So was a bit disappointed with the mart, that was last week of September, I'd say they have dropped since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sold 8 yesterday. Late January, feb and 2 March. Average weight 356 and made an average of €2.39/kg. Happy enough with the year that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Grueller wrote: »
    Sold 8 yesterday. Late January, feb and 2 March. Average weight 356 and made an average of €2.39/kg. Happy enough with the year that's in it.

What age, breed, sex............

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Sold Charolais runners on Tuesday. Weights not shown but I had them weighed the week earlier for beep and they were averaging 250kg. I got €930 or €3.72/kg
    I had two limousines also nice quality weighing 355kg got €815 or €2.29/kg

All bulls

Sold Charolais runners on Tuesday. Weights not shown but I had them weighed the week earlier for beep and they were averaging 250kg. I got €930 or €3.72/kg
    I had two limousines also nice quality weighing 355kg got €815 or €2.29/kg

All bulls

It's some touch for the CHx, fair play they must have been dusters of lads.

Yeah they were nice quality all right. Charolais X limX cows.
    They were bought for a farmer in north Co Dublin, not the shipper. Same lad bought a full truck load. I didn't think there was any land in Dublin :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah they were nice quality all right. Charolais X limX cows.
    They were bought for a farmer in north Co Dublin, not the shipper. Same lad bought a full truck load. I didn't think there was any land in Dublin :p

What age were they?

Roughly 6 months, late March April born. They went straight from the cow to the ringside.

Roughly 6 months, late March April born. They went straight from the cow to the ringside.
    did you run the lms at 355kg through calf ring .put them weight s an more through calf ring done well in past

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Sold April runner bulls.
    Lim @ €890. Very happy with that. Super calf though. Had no creep eaten. Wouldn’t go in the feeder if you kissed his ass!!
    Pair of lims @ €630. Fierce disappointed. Good ends but butty enough. One of those had no creep eaten either. Same problem as the first fella.
    Anyway average €716 for the 3. Not exactly a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow.

did you run the lms at 355kg through calf ring .put them weight s an more through calf ring done well in past
    No they were overage but smashing animals. Whoever bought them got far better value than the 250 kg charlis at 930
    All my limousines seem to make about 100 to 150 less than the charli for no reason other than color

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

What age, breed, sex............

January/February born. 3 bulls, 1 LMX and 2 BBX. 3 heifers, 1 CHX, 2 BBX.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

No they were overage but smashing animals. Whoever bought them got far better value than the 250 kg charlis at 930
    All my limousines seem to make about 100 to 150 less than the charli for no reason other than color

Lim generally won't carry the weight like a char and can be light of bone.
    Have been finishing both here down through the years and would want to buy a lim store at least 100 less

• Advertisement
Advertisement