Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

mf240 wrote: »
    He looks a straight enough fella. You want to be a good judge of cattle before youd go buying jex though as they can be a mixed bag.

I have had about 50 JE/FR crosses over the years. Lads with a bit of white tend to be better than all black. It is the lads that has good weight for age is usually the lad to buy. In general as Bullocks over 50% have killed O- rest were P's. Lads off extreme Ho tend to grow too tall and are hard to flesh. As bulls most killed O= however there conversion rate was horrible and they eat 3% body weight/day. The poorer quality do not react to ration. As bullocks in general they kill 280kgs DW. It all about factoring in what you can afford to pay for them. As well they tend not to be sold through marts. At 280 kgs at 3.7/kg they will come into 1030 euro.

I never keep for winter beyond 2.5 years of age as I think they would take too much feeding unless I buy them as stores at a good price.

Was passing a mart today called in for an hour. The trade was strong IMO. FR bullocks 400kgs+ were making 2/kg, AA bullocks 350+ were making 2.2/kg, HE bullocks 400kgs+ were making 2.4/kg. Black LM bullocks ( looked like they were suckler bred) 2.5/kg they were over 500kgs. CH bullocks were selling stronger again than that.

Trade is fairly strong considering the way factory prices have dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

14 birthday cattle are genuinely scarce.

Willfarman wrote: »
    14 birthday cattle are genuinely scarce.

I think some lads that normally finished cattle bought yearlings last spring as two year were very expensive and are holding them for finishing next year. Also this time last year some lads that got hammered with finishing cattle bought weanlings as opposed to year and a half's. Good grass growth this summer is delaying cattle coming into the marts as lads may be carrying a bit less stock than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

went to mart today
    aa heifer 644kg 1410 euro
    aa cow 740 kg 1250 euro
    fr cow 688 kg 840 euro
    fr cow 640kg 660 euro
    both fr cows straight from parlour this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Some cow prices from BJD today
    Black lim 97 745kgs €1165
    Chx 07 715kgs 1345
    Sim 11 600kgs €1145
    Sim 08 720kgs €1310
    Lim 05 630kgs €1225
    Fr 09 780kgs €1415
    BWH 03 645kgs €1010
    Chx 07 780kgs €1435

Stock Bulls
    Ch 05 1000kgs 1710
    Fr 13 750kgs €1115
    Hol 11 965kgs €1445
    Lim 11 875kgs €1550

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    went to mart today
    aa cow 740 kg 1250 euro
    fr cow 688 kg 840 euro
    fr cow 640kg 660 euro

what were the fr cows like flesh wise? take much to dry them?

went to mart today
    aa cow 740 kg 1250 euro
    fr cow 688 kg 840 euro
    fr cow 640kg 660 euro

simx wrote: »

Friesian Cows look value, for feeding or for slaughter. The AA cow unless she died very badly would have made a bit over 100 more in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Around the last few weeks a 650kg fr fat cow would come to €1100 in mart . i saw a 900kg hol/fr cow make €1500 lat week

cute geoge wrote: »
    Around the last few weeks a 650kg fr fat cow would come to €1100 in mart . i saw a 900kg hol/fr cow make €1500 lat week
    these were straight from parlour, no way would i have got that price in factory, first cow was fleshy enough, other cow wasnt great, i'd say if i got 450 in factory for her i would have been lucky. I assume the cows you are talking about had been dry and fed

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    one good cow , other one would need a lot of feeding

went in to calf sale for a quick look, about 25 calves, saw 2 he bull calves about 3 weeks old being sold 390 & 410:eek: pure madness paying that for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

these were straight from parlour, no way would i have got that price in factory, first cow was fleshy enough, other cow wasnt great, i'd say if i got 450 in factory for her i would have been lucky. I assume the cows you are talking about had been dry and fed
    On the 2nd cow, how long prior did you know that you would be culling her, would it be worth putting incalf & selling in the spring for double suckling?
    Or even to sell from the parlour for same

Farrell wrote: »
    On the 2nd cow, how long prior did you know that you would be culling her, would it be worth putting incalf & selling in the spring for double suckling?
    Or even to sell from the parlour for same
    she was 11 years old, calved since last october, had been with bull and ai'd and was not in calf. Dont think that would have worked with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Some of those JEX's are great cattle. Lad below killed O-3+ and 335kgs at 28 months. He did nearly a kg/day for last 400 days before he was slaughtered. he was squeezed during that time as well. He out preformed the best of two AA that were around the same weight bought at the same time.

He us actually a nz friesan by the look of him puds.
    About 75% fr and 25% je.
    Have 3 to fatten ourselves thus winter along with a few AA and fr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

she was 11 years old, calved since last october, had been with bull and ai'd and was not in calf. Dont think that would have worked with her.
    Fair play.
    I approached a few local dairy lads if the thought they'd a few older cows with 1 year left to rear a calf, that I'd buy off them at the end of the year (ex parlour), just have them incalf to a BA.
    Next thing didn't think they'd have any etc.
    So I was wondering do you dairy folk say in spring, this is your last year (bad feet/ age etc). I know I do with some suckers & also there's the unplanned like your cow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Had two bullocks in Ennis today.

Jun 14 black limo 485kg €1140
    Apr 14 red limo 515kg €1265

Both were nice cattle.
    The red limo was 3/4 bred and a nice looking animal, thought he would make a little more.

There was 45 pens before them so was 4pm selling.

First time selling That age bullocks. What do ur think of those prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Had two bullocks in Ennis today.

Jun 14 black limo 485kg €1140
    Apr 14 red limo 515kg €1265

Both were nice cattle.
    The red limo was 3/4 bred and a nice looking animal, thought he would make a little more.

There was 45 pens before them so was 4pm selling.

First time selling That age bullocks. What do ur think of those prices?

Good. They must have been nice cattle. You got a little over average price.

Good. They must have been nice cattle. You got a little over average price.

Look good prices.

360280.jpg

Photo doesn't do him justice, that was about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

360280.jpg

Photo doesn't do him justice, that was about 3 weeks ago.

Well made animal.

Super animal, did you breed him yourself?

tanko wrote: »
    Super animal, did you breed him yourself?

My dad did, always was a good judge of cattle.

His mother was born to our old stock bull and he is to our new stock bull that he bought two years ago.

We had to sell a lot of cows last year when he got sick, he picked the 12 cows to keep and everyone is at least 4 star, making beef genome scheme fair easy.

My dad did, always was a good judge of cattle.

His mother was born to our old stock bull and he is to our new stock bull that he bought two years ago.

We had to sell a lot of cows last year when he got sick, he picked the 12 cows to keep and everyone is at least 4 star, making beef genome scheme fair easy.

Good stuff, but don't forget it's the stars the cattle have in 2018 and 2020 that the scheme depends on.

tanko wrote: »
    Good stuff, but don't forget it's the stars the cattle have in 2018 and 2020 that the scheme depends on.

Oh I know that alright but he left a good foundation to start with.

Lovely animal. The buyer will get a twist out of him too. Be a serious animal next July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What sort of money are 450/500kg o/r grading steers making these days.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What sort of money are 450/500kg o/r grading steers making these days.

What ya have

Go onto farming forum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What ya have

Go onto farming forum.ie

They be limo/fr cross. Don't usually sell in the mart but mightn't have the ground for them next year and thinking of off letting a few go soon.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    They be limo/fr cross. Don't usually sell in the mart but mightn't have the ground for them next year and thinking of off letting a few go soon.

What age are they. I assume March 14? If so 950 to 1030 depending on how well made they are.

Advertisement