Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The jersey 420kg who made €145 cull was she lame thin /mastitis problem because she surely would make a good bit more in the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

cute geoge wrote: »
    The jersey 420kg who made €145 cull was she lame thin /mastitis problem because she surely would make a good bit more in the factory

One made €70 here in a mart lately. Sbe was an absolute goat to be fair. He'd more the same day make a shake with a hundred.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    One made €70 here in a mart lately. Sbe was an absolute goat to be fair. He'd more the same day make a shake with a hundred.

Price here for boners is about 1:15.... For absolte rubish. 1:80 maybe €2 for a one 270kg up.

Price here for boners is about 1:15.... For absolte rubish. 1:80 maybe €2 for a one 270kg up.

what place is taking these boners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

cute geoge wrote: »

I didn’t look that closely but she wasn’t lame anyway.

They’re a lovely looking animal and a nice size. If I ever go milking I’d be tempted to buy a few of them. Even if they only make the price of a lamb when they’re culled!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

New Ross this morning - some sample prices

* Heifers
    CH, 315kg, 590 euro
    CH, 325kg, 585 euro
    AA, 495kg, 910 euro
    LM, 505kg, 970 euro
    LM, 551kg, 1175 euro
    SM, 582kg, 1110 euro
    HE, 210kg, 380 euro
    AA, 213kg, 370 euro

Average was around 1.60-2.00/kg, depending on breed and flesh cover

I left before the bullocks started.

Dairy culls were plentiful and went for 0.70-0.80/kg. Suckler cows were around 1.00-1.50, depending on breed. A few JE culls went for around 0.40/kg.

Saw one JE weigh 420kg and make 145 euro

Any finishers here?...take that AA 495kg @ 910 & the Lm 505kg @ 970.....briefly how would you go about finishing them and at what cost and what would you get? I'd be interested to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

lalababa wrote: »
    Any finishers here?...take that AA 495kg @ 910 & the Lm 505kg @ 970.....briefly how would you go about finishing them and at what cost and what would you get? I'd be interested to know.

The likes of them would most likely be stored over the winter on silage (some might give a couple of kilos of meal) and let back out to grass in the spring. They’d most likely be finished off grass next September Along with a bit of meal.
    Without seeing them it’s hard to know how they will do. They could be friesian cross’, I expect they are not top quality at that price so id expect the Limousin to kill at not much more than 380kg and the aa not much more than 360kg. At today’s prices if the limo grades r- under 30 months he would come into €1400.
    The aa along with a bonus maybe €1250 to €1300.
    It all depends on their performance and their quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Cavanjack wrote: »
    The likes of them would most likely be stored over the winter on silage (some might give a couple of kilos of meal) and let back out to grass in the spring. They’d most likely be finished off grass next September Along with a bit of meal.
    Without seeing them it’s hard to know how they will do. They could be friesian cross’, I expect they are not top quality at that price so id expect the Limousin to kill at not much more than 380kg and the aa not much more than 360kg. At today’s prices if the limo grades r- under 30 months he would come into €1400.
    The aa along with a bonus maybe €1250 to €1300.
    It all depends on their performance and their quality.

Why would you store and let out to grass and keep for nearly 10 months and put them outside carcass spec. They would be dairy cross heifers in Ross mart.

Why would you store and let out to grass and keep for nearly 10 months and put them outside carcass spec. They would be dairy cross heifers in Ross mart.

Oh sorry didn’t realise they were heifers. My bad.
    Probably just reduce my carcass weights and price so. There’d be nothing in them to start feeding inside to kill out of the shed IMO. They’d still be in spec next autumn.

Neighbours sold Bullocks today here at our local 645kg €1145... 5 year old ch.

Plain aa making 2 euro 450-500kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lalababa wrote: »

The AA would be easy enough to finish. As a heifer 4-5kgs with good silage.woukd have her killing 280-300kgs the middle of February. There are risks she may be fleshy already and there is a risk she would go over fat. It quit possible she went straight to slaughter. Costs would be around 1-7-2euro/day for feed costs.assuming 80days135-160euro. Add in miscellaneous costs of 70euri and she is at 1120-1150euro by the time she is slaughtered. At present prices she need to grade R to break even at 1120
    At that price a bullock would have fared no better. At present beef prices you are breaking even at best feeding cattle. Unless the margin is on the animal coming in you are losing money. The LM is no better the extra cost and feed costs will mean break even at present beef prices. It would take a price rise of 30c/kg to bring a margin of 70euro on the AA. If she was costing 1120 at slaughter

Slava Ukrainii

Neighbours sold Bullocks today here at our local 645kg €1145... 5 year old ch.

Plain aa making 2 euro 450-500kg

Life time weight gain of 335grams/day.no winner there for hom

Slava Ukrainii

Life time weight gain of 335grams/day.no winner there for hom

Strip grazes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Sold 2 ladies last night.
    April born. Off Lm bull and ch cows
    300 kg nice red Lm colour €720
    265kg smaller frame mouse grey €585

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Sold 2 ladies last night.
    April born. Off Lm bull and ch cows
    300 kg nice red Lm colour €720
    265kg smaller frame mouse grey €585

Good enough prices imo all things considered. Those sort of long keep stock are getting dearer every week for the last 6 weeks and even plainer weanlings are "easier sold" than earlier in the autumn. There's lots of stock being showed locally for the time of year, over 500 in the mart last week which is unusual for December.

Good enough prices imo all things considered. Those sort of long keep stock are getting dearer every week for the last 6 weeks and even plainer weanlings are "easier sold" than earlier in the autumn. There's lots of stock being showed locally for the time of year, over 500 in the mart last week which is unusual for December.

Prices are gone crazy for stores And weanlings this last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

hi lads.
    i want to buy a few spring born british friesians males off my neighbour....what would the going rate per kg?....they weight about 280kg at the moment and are in good nick.

thanks!
    Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

80c a kg is all I'm afraid. Not you or your neighbours fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

80c a kg is all I'm afraid. Not you or your neighbours fault

Please send them on to me @80cent/kg i have to give more for fr culls here in the west

Where can you buy Fr weanling bulls 280 kg for €220???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure you'll have a friendly neighbour anymore if you offer him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Water John wrote: »
    Not sure you'll have a friendly neighbour anymore if you offer him that.

Thurles mart today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

niallf wrote: »
    hi lads.
    i want to buy a few spring born british friesians males off my neighbour....what would the going rate per kg?....they weight about 280kg at the moment and are in good nick.

thanks!
    Niall.

Anything from €1.40 - €1.65 per kg up this direction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    Thurles mart today

i thought they might be in the region of 1.20/kg. thurles prices a bit much for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Farmer Dan

i thought they might be in the region of 1.20/kg. thurles prices a bit much for me!

Ya, thought they were a good price.
    Last sale of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Anything from €1.40 - €1.65 per kg up this direction..
    I hear the shipping men are giving c. €1.50+ for them if you don't mind them going that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

You only see a mart report. In thurles there are British friesan types and then you have the HO. You need to be there to judge the value or otherwise.

At over 1.4/kg you be getting better value buying older lighter FR stores. I Imagine you would buy them sub 1.5/kg. I paid about 1.3-1.5/kg for Fr stores 16-20 months including fees through the whole of thsi year. There is no way I 400+ for sub 250 kg weanlings Fr's. They are light for there age as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Few from Carrigallen this evening
    520kg - €935 kBB
    555 kg - €930 BB
    515kg - €750 Sim
    500kg - €700 Sim
    395kg - €410 Sim all 2017 born bullocks

790kg - €980 Fr
    575kg - €690 Fr
    630kg - €820 Fr
    665kg - €850 AA all 17 born bulls except the Aa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

At over 1.4/kg you be getting better value buying older lighter FR stores. I Imagine you would buy them sub 1.5/kg. I paid about 1.3-1.5/kg for Fr stores 16-20 months including fees through the whole of thsi year. There is no way I 400+ for sub 250 kg weanlings Fr's. They are light for there age as well
    Bass there is competition now in the market that wasn't there up to two months ago for both light and heavier FR bulls for export. A lot of farmers squeezed Spring born 2018 and 2019 Friesian bulls due to the bad factory prices over the last few years. I understand that exporters are trying to make up numbers and will buy and collect ex farm without the need to weigh them at the export port. I don't know how payment is arranged.

We have been contacted by two exporters but I'm not interested in selling our cattle to these markets, iykwim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

kk.man wrote: »
    You only see a mart report. In thurles there are British friesan types and then you have the HO. You need to be there to judge the value or otherwise.

Thing is the extreme HO will probably be worth more on the hook.
    He’ll turn into a big ugly giraffe of a thing but will weight more than the British Friesan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you're willing to wait.

IMO over the last 2-3 years the really extreme HO is going out of the system to a huge extension. Most FR now while having a go proportion of HO bloodlines are bred more for efficiency at grass. They gave some huge advantage in a grass based system. Mainly they have good weight gain compared to a lot of AA cattle.

I have found some BF type cattle very poor to gain weight compared to these.middle of the road HO Friesians. On s grass based system weight gain is king

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

IMO over the last 2-3 years the really extreme HO is going out of the system to a huge extension. Most FR now while having a go proportion of HO bloodlines are bred more for efficiency at grass. They gave some huge advantage in a grass based system. Mainly they have good weight gain compared to a lot of AA cattle.

I have found some BF type cattle very poor to gain weight compared to these.middle of the road HO Friesians. On s grass based system weight gain is king

I have found the same with the Angus. Got rid of remaining overage eventually

MIKEKC wrote: »
    I have found the same with the Angus. Got rid of remaining overage eventually

On a 12 month basis AA are averaging 600 grams/day, Friesian's are averaging over 800 grams/day. That is about 100 kgs LW extra over 12 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

On a 12 month basis AA are averaging 600 grams/day, Friesian's are averaging over 800 grams/day. That is about 100 kgs LW extra over 12 months.

Would the FRs be eating a third more?

Would the FRs be eating a third more?

Maybe however weight gain is king in a grass and silage based system. Lots of AA seem to trundle along.

AA will hold there flesh better on silage only compared to Fr cattle. However you will not get the serious weight gain on grass that you will get off Fr. AA seem to trundle along.

Last year bought 8 AA in early September. They were 340kgs and about 17 monhs. I bought 4 Friesians in early November 390kgs LW. AA bulls were squeezed and on good grass until November. Both sets were togeather until slaughter.

Friesian's were slaughtered in early August average DW approx 320kgs so about 640LW or about 0.9kgs/day

Because of the strike which I ma not complaining about the AA were not slaughtered on average until early/mid November at about 320DW or 615LW. They had gained about 0.65 kgs/day.

Friesiand had got ration for 30 days about 70-80kgs. AA were on raiton/nuts from late August maxing out at 5kgs/day from mid October. They had eaten approx 350kgs. They also were on the best of grass during that time.

Considering you are often paying 2/kg for AA compared to 1.3-1.7 for FR stores unless I buy AA at the same price I am not interested

Slava Ukrainii

Prices are gone crazy for stores And weanlings this last few weeks

There's always a few lads who left it too the eleventh hour to buy, have a large tax bill hanging over them or want to fill a pen/shed at this time of year. After this week it's all over in the marts for a fortnight or more and stock and cash are always in short supply in January. I carried 2 store bullocks to the mart for an elderly neighbor last Friday night, both AAx and got very little feeding at any point since birth.

Black AAx January 18
    510kg @ €1130
    Mousey AAx June 18
    415kg @ €950

I thought them a right good price considering the times we're in and I'm convinced they would have been €100-150 less a piece 6 weeks ago.

There's always a few lads who left it too the eleventh hour to buy, have a large tax bill hanging over them or want to fill a pen/shed at this time of year. After this week it's all over in the marts for a fortnight or more and stock and cash are always in short supply in January. I carried 2 store bullocks to the mart for an elderly neighbor last Friday night, both AAx and got very little feeding at any point since birth.

Black AAx January 18
    510kg @ €1130
    Mousey AAx June 18
    415kg @ €950

I thought them a right good price considering the times we're in and I'm convinced they would have been €100-150 less a piece 6 weeks ago.

250kg aa heifer weanlings €640 in kanturk. The last few weeks are a joke.

Actually there was a 4 week old ch heifer calf small but nice shape made €480 in skibb. As good a price i saw this year.

• Advertisement

Black AAx January 18
    510kg @ €1130
    Mousey AAx June 18
    415kg @ €950

That is crazy money. I bought u grade Charolais weighing 550kg for the same money as the first lad a month or 6 weeks ago.

That is crazy money. I bought u grade Charolais weighing 550kg for the same money as the first lad a month or 6 weeks ago.

My thoughts exactly, it's not too many weeks since I saw good continental store's selling freely at circa €2 a kilo. I honestly thought double the weight or near it would have bought the 2 cattle above where as they made circa €2.25 a kilo. Everything here goes through the live ring so I've little knowledge of feeding or killing cattle but they both seemed at least €100 a piece over the bar to me. What would the best route to finish be for those cattle? I'm assuming the lighter bullock wouldn't be fit until next back end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Black AAx January 18
    510kg @ €1130
    Mousey AAx June 18
    415kg @ €950

Crazy money

And still people challenge me when i say there's decent money in rearing calves

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Haven’t been buying in a while as was laid up and couldn’t get out - how’s trade for 400-500kg stores going? Have sold the last of finished lot and be out in Jan starting to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Panch18 wrote: »
    Crazy money

And still people challenge me when i say there's decent money in rearing calves

Crazy without a doubt. Interesting to see who will be complaining about factory prices next autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone sell any cull cows lately ???have few hol fr cows 600 kg plus tubed and sealed before Christmas was going to take them to nenagh tomorrow but no sale till next week prefer sell out of yard if I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Anyone sell any cull cows lately ???have few hol fr cows 600 kg plus tubed and sealed before Christmas was going to take them to nenagh tomorrow but no sale till next week prefer sell out of yard if I could

They seem to be making about 1euro per kg. Have lifted a good bit since before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Had a look in Ballyjamesduff today, Friesian cows
    08 540 550
    14 570 640
    08 610 650
    12 690 990
    13 670 750
    10 800 880
    09 610 550
    11 720 700
    13 540 400
    14 580 400
    06 550 430
    09 690 880
    10 670 720
    13 720 650
    13 610 560
    14 530 570

AA cows
    16 520 660
    16 490 630
    15 540 690
    BWH cow
    770 1050
    CH cow
    13 740 1220
    CHX and LMX cows
    790 1420
    850 1440
    880 1680
    870 1630
    740 1120
    740 1220

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Serious trade for cows inthe marts these days.feedlot agent bidding on every cow at the minute not just in spec like before.putting serious floor for cows and seem to be more interested in fr than sucklers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tide is turning so.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
Advertisement