Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Tide is turning so.

Not sure about that.feedlots emptied during strike and havent been replenished until now.word has it china is proving messy and troublesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Corona virus has apparently caused a backlog of culls foe china in nz, with some looking to offload due to drought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

K.G. wrote: »
    Not sure about that.feedlots emptied during strike and havent been replenished until now.word has it china is proving messy and troublesome

Yes. Was talking to a buyer for factory feedlots. Exactly what you said. Sheds are now been filled. can’t compete with them at the ring. Different margins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Chap had out wintered whiteheads in macroom, some jobber from up the country bought them ave 332kg €840. One lot made 2:32/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Chap had out wintered whiteheads in macroom, some jobber from up the country bought them ave 332kg €840. One lot made 2:32/kg.

Were they bulls

Murang wrote: »
    Were they bulls

Bullocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Bullocks

It’ll all end in tears again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cavanjack wrote: »
    It’ll all end in tears again.

+1,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jjameson wrote: »
    China was never taking any tonnage worth a damn from us. If they were we would be in serious bother. Uk and European markets.

Looks like that Chinese have upped their imports to regulate current supply. Most likely will make no difference here.
    Separately, to stabilise domestic supply amid the coronavirus outbreak, China’s commerce ministry Saturday called for active expansion of meat imports.

Based on preliminary data, imports of meat products such as pork and beef arriving at ports totalled 310,000 tonnes in the first half of January, up 275 per cent from a year earlier. Imports of those products are expected to rise 190 per cent on year to 640,000 tonnes in January, it said.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/wuhan-virus-chinas-premier-li-asks-eu-to-facilitate-urgent-procurement-of-medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

What would CHX heifers a year old out of the dairy herd make at the moment roughly? Have some here 360kg ave. when would the best time to sell them be? It’s my first year with heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Jjameson wrote: »
    Anything with a pulse seems to make 2 euro a kg.
    better that way than giving cattle away fo nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see cull cows doing well. Fr cow 550kg- €690.
    Good ones €900

Batch of standard Fr bull calves €58/hd.
    Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any word of bullock sale in mohill today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What are , preferably charlois or similar, yearlings making now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

tanko wrote: »
    Had a look in Ballyjamesduff today, Friesian cows
    08 540 550
    14 570 640
    08 610 650
    12 690 990
    13 670 750
    10 800 880
    09 610 550
    11 720 700
    13 540 400
    14 580 400
    06 550 430
    09 690 880
    10 670 720
    13 720 650
    13 610 560
    14 530 570

AA cows
    16 520 660
    16 490 630
    15 540 690
    BWH cow
    770 1050
    CH cow
    13 740 1220
    CHX and LMX cows
    790 1420
    850 1440
    880 1680
    870 1630
    740 1120
    740 1220

An 800kg Fr cow for 880 euro, and a chx/limx cow for 1420?? I'm assuming 99% that both are headed for the factory fairly soon. What in the name of God makes the 550 euro difference??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

lalababa wrote: »
    An 800kg Fr cow for 880 euro, and a chx/limx cow for 1420?? I'm assuming 99% that both are headed for the factory fairly soon. What in the name of God makes the 550 euro difference??

Saleable meat. The reason why the powers that be don't want the suckler herd gone.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Saleable meat. The reason why the powers that be don't want the suckler herd gone.

No at present R+U- cows are about 3.35/kg. Ch cow would have kill about 430kgs1450 in factory.

That FR cow at 45% k/o would be about 360DW. On average P+/O- cows are making 3.05/kg. She have grossed about 1100 in the factory. First was bought direct for factory second agrn has a 220euro touch

Slava Ukrainii

No at present R+U- cows are about 3.35/kg. Ch cow would have kill about 430kgs1450 in factory.

That FR cow at 45% k/o would be about 360DW. On average P+/O- cows are making 3.05/kg. She have grossed about 1100 in the factory. First was bought direct for factory second agrn has a 220euro touch

You're talking about the hanging carcass. I'm talking about the actual meat yield.

You're talking about the hanging carcass. I'm talking about the actual meat yield.

On bone out would the Ch cow have s 70% meat recovery rate If she did she have 308,kgs of saleable meat costing 4.71/kg. FR cow meat recovery rate at 65% or 252kgs costing 4.36/kg at 1100 euro at 880 it 3.52/kg

Now you can take vat rate off both and I am only guessing the recovery rate but it gives you a rough idea of the cost/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Water John wrote: »
    Great to see cull cows doing well. Fr cow 550kg- €690.
    Good ones €900

Batch of standard Fr bull calves €58/hd.
    Macroom.

Fresian cow 715kg 1060
    Fr cow 710kg 1060
    Fr cow 680 kg 850
    Fr cow 650kg 865
    Macroom 22/2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

lalababa wrote: »

I remember that cow being sold, it's seven weeks ago, trade for cows was bad that day. A certain dealer wanted that cow, none of the other dealers bid against him so she was sold for a brutal price. The farmer should really have brought her home or brought her a mile up the road to the factory.
    I'd say she was in some factory the next day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I remember that cow being sold, it's seven weeks ago, trade for cows was bad that day. A certain dealer wanted that cow, none of the other dealers bid against him so she was sold for a brutal price. The farmer should really have brought her home or brought her a mile up the road to the factory.
    I'd say she was in some factory the next day anyway.
    TBH if it was me I would never sell cows in mart. The dealer/finishers put the hand in and stop the others. Very seldom that one will poll another as they all will take their turn on what is available on the day.

Base price wrote: »
    TBH if it was me I would never sell cows in mart. The dealer/finishers put the hand in and stop the others. Very seldom that one will poll another as they all will take their turn on what is available on the day.

Very seldom they poll each other.... You should come to Kerry or cork to see how things roll :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Very seldom they poll each other.... You should come to Kerry or cork to see how things roll :)

Everything is cheap until you try to buy it imo, I'd love to pull into a ringside somewhere and buy all these cheap cow's but it would hardly work like that either. Yes it's in the dealer's own interest to buy as cheap as possible as in every industry and that's not exactly a crime. However as the vendor it's in your interest to hold out for a fair price. There has to be give and take but by listening to some on here you'd swear that a gun was put to your head the minute the stock came off the trailer.

It always amuses me that the man in the box selling a beast claims that the dealers are claiming the same animal and keeping down the price. Conversely someone on the steps looking to buy the same animal will probably claim that the same dealers are polling them for said animal. It's amazing that depending on which side of the auctioneer that your standing that the same few men can make a beast both dear and cheap at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wish it were that simple Albert. Some markets, like cull cows, have a limited number of buyers. In a lot of marts this creates a cosy relationship. In some of those situations, if you want to buy, you're better off getting a agent to buy for you as you'd be totally bid out of it.

Base price wrote: »

Like i said the trade was bad that day, it was the first sale back after christmas, too many cows and not many buyers for dairy cows.
    A month ago i had three cows around 800 kgs to sell, best price from the factory was 310c/kg for R grades. So brought them to the mart , they averaged 175c/kg so they were €150 each more in the mart.

Sold three more between 600-700kgs last week, they averaged 194c/kg. they weren't just fit to kill but even if they were i think the local factory is only offering 330c/kg to farmers with small numbers anyway.
    There's heavy cows making €2/kg in marts. Are any factories giving €4/kg to farmers at the moment??

Water John wrote: »
    Wish it were that simple Albert. Some markets, like cull cows, have a limited number of buyers. In a lot of marts this creates a cosy relationship. In some of those situations, if you want to buy, you're better off getting a agent to buy for you as you'd be totally bid out of it.

Nothing is ever that simple I admit but some lads are easy codded in fairness and make no effort to play there hand as it were. I know as many men feeding cull cows as prime cattle so it's not a limited market more than any other imo. Yes some marts have limited customers for certain stock and this is true of cows the same as everything else. Therefore this means you may have to target particular marts with different stock, maybe I'm over simplifying it but I don't see any big problem with enacting the above.

For example a certain Mayo mart used to have a very cosy cartel of cow buyers and prices were usually dismal unless someone outside the chosen circle was buying. This practice was plain for anyone to see and I'd have little sympathy for anyone that sold cow's and complained afterwards. Conversely a Leitrim mart has a packed ringside of cow buyer's every week and gets better prices and much larger entries of stock. There's no point in bringing a knife to a gun fight and tbh a lot of lad's will do what they've always done regardless and blame the buyer's, factories, Larry Goodman ect when it doesn't work out. The days of producing what you want and charging the same simply because you can and "they'll have to buy it" are gone, the world has moved on and the buyer largely calls the shots nowadays.

As for the comment about agent's yes I agree, a farmer buying his own stock is largely in the minority nowadays. Most lads are away working or have other commitments and won't spend the day around the ring for a few cattle. It's left mostly to the dealer's/agent's and as with everything when your full time at something you get a better way of working.

I think certain dealers who feel that they own the mart will bid away against new buyers hoping to piss them off, so that they will stop buying there. They are willing to take the hit by overpaying for cattle in the short term for longterm gain.
    I know of one local dealer here, who has being up on 2 different assault charges and cautioned for threatened another person. A notorious bully.

Dealers do what dealers do, it's when the auctioneer is crooked and is picking up a brown envelope in the car-park after the sale when the real problems start in marts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Dealers do what dealers do, it's when the auctioneer is crooked and is picking up a brown envelope in the car-park after the sale when the real problems start in marts.

It's always going to end badly when an auctioneer takes money from both buyer & seller....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Has the MartBids app changed?
    Been a while since I looked at it but now the prices of the cattle at last mart are gone. It says sale over. I’m sure they used to stay on it until next sale. Was handy for looking back at what cattle made.

Anyone at at a mart today, any reports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

tanko wrote:
    Anyone at at a mart today, any reports?

calves savage dear in ennis my dad was there twas a balls trying to go from 1 ring to the other as of the 100 ppl rule so hecame home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Gort this evening. Unreal atmosphere.....everyone playing by the rules.
    410 kgs jan born lmx out of a ch cow - €1,080 (nice animal)
    285 kgs mar born lm out of a pbr cow - €740 (plain....cow will be culled)
    295 kgs May born sa out of a pbr springer - €700. (Plain)

All outwintered....well fed but put on bugger all weight since weighed in Sept.
    Given everything that is going on was just glad to have 3 more out the door.

I’ve a few pbr bulls left for sale....but will be culling hard again in the Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Gort this evening. Unreal atmosphere.....everyone playing by the rules.
    410 kgs jan born lmx out of a ch cow - €1,080 (nice animal)
    285 kgs mar born lm out of a pbr cow - €740 (plain....cow will be culled)
    295 kgs May born sa out of a pbr springer - €700. (Plain)

All outwintered....well fed but put on bugger all weight since weighed in Sept.
    Given everything that is going on was just glad to have 3 more out the door.

I’ve a few pbr bulls left for sale....but will be culling hard again in the Autumn.

What way are them bulls bred Mac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What way are them bulls bred Mac?

Only one of them ready to go, he is out of raffertys immanuel and a tanko cow. 20 months old. I used this bull as he is an out cross to all the zag heifers and cows out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Any prices on AA heifers ? I've a few black and red ones here, thinking of selling them there in the next week or so. I'll be weighing them there over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone go to a mart the past week? How are weanling continental heifers going at the moment? Is it wiser to sell away or hold for another month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anyone go to a mart the past week? How are weanling continental heifers going at the moment? Is it wiser to sell away or hold for another month?

Was out last Saturday, back €100-150 compared to previous week
    White CH’s 350kg - €900, 320kg - €850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

What are continental cull cows making at the moment lads. I have one almost finished, a few real good feeding cows and one thinnish. Roughly per kilo?

Grueller wrote: »
    What are continental cull cows making at the moment lads. I have one almost finished, a few real good feeding cows and one thinnish. Roughly per kilo?

They were touching €2/KG a month ago. They're back a good bit on that now i think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Any prices on AA heifers ? I've a few black and red ones here, thinking of selling them there in the next week or so. I'll be weighing them there over the weekend.

About 1.80-1.90 per kg.

How many have you? Or where in the country are you based?

I might be looking for a few like that in the next 2-3 weeks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Rough what price per kg are good quality lim heifers and bullocks 400kg spring 19. Thanks

valtra2 wrote: »
    Rough what price per kg are good quality lim heifers and bullocks 400kg spring 19. Thanks

A friend gave €700 with the weight but these were top shelf and out wintered.

A friend gave €700 with the weight but these were top shelf and out wintered.

Would be a shake heavier than 400kg do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Saturday week in carnew
    436 kg E970
    422KG E910
    390KG E860
    387KG E880
    415KG E890
    339KG E 790
    All ch heifers by AI sires. Good or bad I dont know might be of use to buyers/sellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone buying continental weanling/yearling bulls? See some on DoneDeal looking crazy money.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anyone buying continental weanling/yearling bulls? See some on DoneDeal looking crazy money.

I'm in the market for some for a few summer grazer customers but they seem scarce enough in this part of the North West. I agree about the crazy prices, I was asked €850 a piece for 3 very mixed quality mousey coloured CHx bull's about 320kg average last night, safe to say I politely declined. A neighbor bought 3 well muscled CHx and LMx bull's through the mart last night 400kg @ €930 a piece.

I went to look at a few LMx and Saler type weanlings this morning. A mixture of black's and red's about 280-300kg and very middle of the road type suckler stock. There very storey though and just out of the shed so should thrive. He asked €750 a piece and I'm thinking there too dear at it but have a few fella's getting exciting about not having stock bought. Would they still be too dear at €700?

I'm in the market for some for a few summer grazer customers but they seem scarce enough in this part of the North West. I agree about the crazy prices, I was asked €850 a piece for 3 very mixed quality mousey coloured CHx bull's about 320kg average last night, safe to say I politely declined. A neighbor bought 3 well muscled CHx and LMx bull's through the mart last night 400kg @ €930 a piece.

I went to look at a few LMx and Saler type weanlings this morning. A mixture of black's and red's about 280-300kg and very middle of the road type suckler stock. There very storey though and just out of the shed so should thrive. He asked €750 a piece and I'm thinking there too dear at it but have a few fella's getting exciting about not having stock bought. Would they still be too dear at €700?

IMO it all goes back to what the market returns at present. A friend killed some a few weeks back they averaged 1400 euro at 350DW R+'s. Any way you do the sumes kill out of the shed next winter at a base of 3.6/kg at 380DW is 1466 euro before deductions. What will a 400kg bullock make in August this year say prices remain at 3.4 base an R+ bullock will make 1440 euro.

What will either of these men pay for stores in October/November. I do Friesians a 330kg DW O-/P+ bullock is looking at 1050 euro for this summer at present. I be stopping bidding on a 400kg Fr store at around 450 euro in August/September and the same for a 450kg one in October/November. It a case of working away from there Albert.

I just cannot see how the numbers add up if present prices continue it will be a massacere in the autumn. I bought 2 450 kg nice fleshy whitish CH for 850 last August. I taught they had to leave a nice touch. Killing 400kgs in August at present prices sees them at 1450 euro they will be ok at that. 20c/kg extra sees them at 80 euro more but at present prices it will take a good bullock to break 1250 euro in the traditional breeds and few Contintental bullock will break 1500 euro

Slava Ukrainii

IMO it all goes back to what the market returns at present. A friend killed some a few weeks back they averaged 1400 euro at 350DW R+'s. Any way you do the sumes kill out of the shed next winter at a base of 3.6/kg at 380DW is 1466 euro before deductions. What will a 400kg bullock make in August this year say prices remain at 3.4 base an R+ bullock will make 1440 euro.

What will either of these men pay for stores in October/November. I do Friesians a 330kg DW O-/P+ bullock is looking at 1050 euro for this summer at present. I be stopping bidding on a 400kg Fr store at around 450 euro in August/September and the same for a 450kg one in October/November. It a case of working away from there Albert.

I just cannot see how the numbers add up if present prices continue it will be a massacere in the autumn. I bought 2 450 kg nice fleshy whitish CH for 850 last August. I taught they had to leave a nice touch. Killing 400kgs in August at present prices sees them at 1450 euro they will be ok at that. 20c/kg extra sees them at 80 euro more but at present prices it will take a good bullock to break 1250 euro in the traditional breeds and few Contintental bullock will break 1500 euro

Superb insight as usual Bass. I'd say working back to the current viable price for the cattle above would make for fairly dismal reading. There probably a complete waste of time as regards leaving profit but if they covered there costs, ate the grass and satisfied the payment stocking density then it would be a reasonably successful venture. The men that want those cattle will continue to do what they've always done simply because they can.

As another poster mentioned during the week the majority of beef farmer's will never be put on the poverty line because of the cattle trade. I know most of my customers are older males with sufficient means and little outgoings. I remember a bachelor neighbor giving out to my father for selling cattle cheap year's ago at the mart. My father who had a young family and lots of expenses at the time told the same man that he needed the money and couldn't hold out any longer. The other man had only himself to look after and seemingly never considered that cash crisis would sometimes force other people's hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement