Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Ya that's it alright. Bought 6 on DD during the week and 2 of them seem to have done a share of moving. Must check the movements again later on agfood. Is it maximum 4 residencies for QA

Need to be careful on donedeal, I bought 25 on DD about two weeks ago, he was meant to be the second owner on them all, advised he reared them from calves etc. but turned out he was the third owner on over half of them and they were going to be coming to me from three different herd numbers. Needless to say I didn't accept them into my herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Ya that's it alright. Bought 6 on DD during the week and 2 of them seem to have done a share of moving. Must check the movements again later on agfood. Is it maximum 4 residencies for QA

Fcuk it. The 2 are now on 5th residency now that they are in my herd. Should I go after your man or put it down to experience.

Fcuk it. The 2 are now on 5th residency now that they are in my herd. Should I go after your man or put it down to experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Unless the seller advised you that they had less movements then they actually have then I don't see what comeback you have. Even at that it's probably a verbal agreement and it will be your word against his as regards what was agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

Personally that's shyte, I'd land over to him and demand 100 per animal as chops you know that's what it will cost you when you finished with them. Oh that nonsense makes my blood boil... One is only as good as their word.

Where do ye see the number of pervious moves on agfood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The quicker the marts open , the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

+1000. For all the giving out lads do about the live ring I think it's still the best way to buy and sell stock. The online bidding and tendering that's taking place at the minute is a poor replacement imo, very little transparency and a lot of it is guess work. Yes it's a means to an end atm and no doubt the live streaming is here to stay but I can't help but think that a ringside of buyer's and seller's is by far best system when it's safe to return to it.

As for the likes of Done deal and private selling I can now see why lad's stopped bothering with the fair's once the mart system came along. It's full of total time waster's and dreamers who don't know what they want, yes there's some genuine buyer's and seller's but there's a lot of total pricks as well.

As least with the mart you can head in for a look and more often than not there's something to suit your interest. All the information is available without having to drag it out of the seller and there's a reliable weighing service. When the time comes you can bid up for what you want and if the price isn't right for either party then there's no harm done and on too the next lot. There's no driving up and down every back road in the countryside looking at stock that are €150 to dear, 100kg lighter than advertised or have half a dozen movements when there supposed to be home bred. I never thought I'd be happy to pay mart commission but after a few episodes of buying stock "in the country" I think that the pulling back in around the ring can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

+1000. For all the giving out lads do about the live ring I think it's still the best way to buy and sell stock. The online bidding and tendering that's taking place at the minute is a poor replacement imo, very little transparency and a lot of it is guess work. Yes it's a means to an end atm and no doubt the live streaming is here to stay but I can't help but think that a ringside of buyer's and seller's is by far best system when it's safe to return to it.

As for the likes of Done deal and private selling I can now see why lad's stopped bothering with the fair's once the mart system came along. It's full of total time waster's and dreamers who don't know what they want, yes there's some genuine buyer's and seller's but there's a lot of total pricks as well.

As least with the mart you can head in for a look and more often than not there's something to suit your interest. All the information is available without having to drag it out of the seller and there's a reliable weighing service. When the time comes you can bid up for what you want and if the price isn't right for either party then there's no harm done and on too the next lot. There's no driving up and down every back road in the countryside looking at stock that are €150 to dear, 100kg lighter than advertised or have half a dozen movements when there supposed to be home bred. I never thought I'd be happy to pay mart commission but after a few episodes of buying stock "in the country" I think that the pulling back in around the ring can't come quick enough.

Very well said..I'd like to see the online streaming improved a bit more I think it's a good idea.one problem with is the auctioneer is still speaking into the Mike as usual creating huge distortion.theres no one there what's he blowing an empty ring out of it for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

richie123 wrote: »
    Very well said..I'd like to see the online streaming improved a bit more I think it's a good idea.one problem with is the auctioneer is still speaking into the Mike as usual creating huge distortion.theres no one there what's he blowing an empty ring out of it for :)

I think online would be good to keep
    How many have dropped home for a few minutes to find their animal has just gone through the ring on their return
    Hard to get time from work or family commitment

grange mac wrote: »
    Personally that's shyte, I'd land over to him and demand 100 per animal as chops you know that's what it will cost you when you finished with them. Oh that nonsense makes my blood boil... One is only as good as their word.

Where do ye see the number of pervious moves on agfood?

Just click on the individual tag number and all data is shown.
    Same lad has a few more lots up on DD again yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

heard our local mart is rightly screwing ppl know a guy with good ai chx heifers was offered 1.80 a kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lab man wrote: »
    heard our local mart is rightly screwing ppl know a guy with good ai chx heifers was offered 1.80 a kg

with present and last years beef prices it probably too much for them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭High bike

with present and last years beef prices it probably too much for them.
    suppose it depends whether your buying or selling

High bike wrote: »
    suppose it depends whether your buying or selling

No I think the lad producing such cattle need every penny of it but present factory prices dictate other wise. With most lads that are buying for stocking rates now gone out of the market some harsh realities will start to unfold. This time last year before lads started to off load on strength of Beam being paid out into June we had abase price of about 4/kg today it is 3.4/kg. on a 330kg DW heifer that is about 200 euro less of a factory cheque.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭High bike

No I think the lad producing such cattle need every penny of it but present factory prices dictate other wise. With most lads that are buying for stocking rates now gone out of the market some harsh realities will start to unfold. This time last year before lads started to off load on strength of Beam being paid out into June we had abase price of about 4/kg today it is 3.4/kg. on a 330kg DW heifer that is about 200 euro less of a factory cheque.
    don't kill cattle myself so can't disagree with what u say about the factories but the fact remains that those weanlings and stores are costing the same to produce whatever the factories are paying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

High bike wrote: »
    don't kill cattle myself so can't disagree with what u say about the factories but the fact remains that those weanlings and stores are costing the same to produce whatever the factories are paying
    It's the next person in the chain that sets the price he can pay. Factory price is so important to cattle price. The losses being expierenced at the moment with finished cattle is scary. Imagine being down €200/head and then going out to buy. Your budget is set by this for a lot of guys. It's a cycle and time will sort it. We as farmers are well used of riding out tough times, whether it's right or wrong to continue.

It's the next person in the chain that sets the price he can pay. Factory price is so important to cattle price. The losses being expierenced at the moment with finished cattle is scary. Imagine being down €200/head and then going out to buy. Your budget is set by this for a lot of guys. It's a cycle and time will sort it. We as farmers are well used of riding out tough times, whether it's right or wrong to continue.

It's one of the reason's that I got out of winter finishing. When you sold those cattle it was impossible to replace them and have an effective margin. It drove nitrates crazy as well. It was ok when you could finish a few U24 month bulls around Christmas that you had bought 12-15 Months before and there was a price over 4/kg. I think that any lad winter finishing especially those finishing for late spring need to stop unless there is a contract in place

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's one of the reason's that I got out of winter finishing. When you sold those cattle it was impossible to replace them and have an effective margin. It drove nitrates crazy as well. It was ok when you could finish a few U24 month bulls around Christmas that you had bought 12-15 Months before and there was a price over 4/kg. I think that any lad winter finishing especially those finishing for late spring need to stop unless there is a contract in place

I keep a closed shop system. Only animals bought is 40 calves in the spring. Calve 30 sucklers. Nothing sold in mart. All to the hook. At least you have control of the costs and more importantly time. Finish in 3 different groups. A small bunch for late spring. Another bunch in mid summer an the last group in late autumn. It's important to have cash flow aswell as margin. While the spring bunch is expensive to kill, they are much welcomed casflow. Would love to have a contract to finish, and I feel it's only a matter of time til we start seeing something like it be it producer groups or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dead right Bass.
    It's hard make a pound killing in summer at 3.60 a kg. But doing it in Winter is just short of madness
    Been there done that and would not go back to it sub 4.00 a kg
    As you said store over winter on good dry silage ( no reason why every farmer can't have good silage... it shouldn't be about bales per acre it's quality that counts...lads laugh at me with 7 or 8 bales to the acre but they are convinced that it needs to be closed for 9 or 10 weeks and yield 12 or 13 bales to the acre in Mid June )
    And finish of grass with small quantity of meal

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi all, wondering would anyone know what is an average price of for a suckler cow with calf at foot. I have 2 BB cow's with lim calves at foot. 1 has a bull the other a heifer. both cows are second calvers and would be considered standard quality, nothing exceptional. I am cutting back cow numbers and culling some older cows and a man inquired about the 2 blues. I am not out to rob him and i would be asking london for them, just want whatever the going rate is. i can fire up pics if it helps but as i said they are nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Robson99 wrote: »
    Dead right Bass.
    It's hard make a pound killing in summer at 3.60 a kg. But doing it in Winter is just short of madness
    Been there done that and would not go back to it sub 4.00 a kg
    As you said store over winter on good dry silage ( no reason why every farmer can't have good silage... it shouldn't be about bales per acre it's quality that counts...lads laugh at me with 7 or 8 bales to the acre but they are convinced that it needs to be closed for 9 or 10 weeks and yield 12 or 13 bales to the acre in Mid June )
    And finish of grass with small quantity of meal

Have to agree a 6 rotor Tedder was one of our better investments.some job to dry grass!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Finally got around to contacting a local cattle dealer here re cull cows, yearlings, 2-year-old bullocks, and even weaned calves. Needless to say, we had a good chat and moan about the state of the country and how marts are operating in particular. This guy was a friend of my fathers and I hadn't seen him in years. He won't do me any favours, but I'm hoping he won't try ride me too much either.

Anyway, the bottom line is that he's going to have a look around for 8-10 FR yearlings and come back with a price.

Would I be correct in saying around 1.50/kg should buy most FR bullocks at this time of year?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Not been smart any farmer selling would take the hand of you if you offered them €1.50/kg for fr yierlings heard nice herefords were sold for €1.60/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Jjameson wrote: »
    A few good quality yearling fr bullocks 280kg brought €530 in carnew on Saturday.

I bought cattle like these last year and trying to fatten them now. Not very optimistic I’m afraid.

I bought cattle like these last year and trying to fatten them now. Not very optimistic I’m afraid.

They are not like heifers where you are trying to get them to fs4 . If you get them above 330 this''time of year and fs3-/=I be turning them. 530 euro for 330k is too much. At present I want to buy at 1.3/kg after that I would not be interested

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

Finally got around to contacting a local cattle dealer here re cull cows, yearlings, 2-year-old bullocks, and even weaned calves. Needless to say, we had a good chat and moan about the state of the country and how marts are operating in particular. This guy was a friend of my fathers and I hadn't seen him in years. He won't do me any favours, but I'm hoping he won't try ride me too much either.

Anyway, the bottom line is that he's going to have a look around for 8-10 FR yearlings and come back with a price.

Would I be correct in saying around 1.50/kg should buy most FR bullocks at this time of year?

They should be at 1.50 but they are not. The average is 1.65 top end is 1.73 and bottom is 1.59 but it depends on their weights. A lower weight animal will be different.

That's my part of the country others may differ.

kk.man wrote: »
    They should be at 1.50 but they are not. The average is 1.65 top end is 1.73 and bottom is 1.59 but it depends on their weights. A lower weight animal will be different.

That's my part of the country others may differ.

We're in the same part of the country if kk stands for Kilkenny. I'm just 40 miles down the road from you in Waterford.

It's hard to know with price and where there might be a little bit of value and where there is definitely none at all.

I'll certainly be tuned into the cattle trade and weight gains off grass over the next few months. Nothing like having skin in the game or money standing in the field to focus the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sold a few autumn CH bulls private avg weight about 330 kgs for around 800 a piece..less than other years but needed to move em on right or wrong time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Sold a few autumn CH bulls private avg weight about 330 kgs for around 800 a piece..less than other years but needed to move em on right or wrong time will tell.

I think you done alright considering. You have to remember you have no mart fees. No time lost going to the mart & no transport fees unless you are delivering them of course. The person who bought them will probably pump them with meal before killing in the next 9 to 12 months. God knows what Larry will have the factory price at then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I bought 4 for exactly the same money. Wish he could have had more of them. They are doing a massive thrive.

I bought 4 for exactly the same money. Wish he could have had more of them. They are doing a massive thrive.

What do you intend doing with them, finishing off grass in before December, out if the shed after Christmas or off grass next summer

Slava Ukrainii

What do you intend doing with them, finishing off grass in before December, out if the shed after Christmas or off grass next summer

There was 2 frx and 2 aax in that bunch. 2 aax will be 30 mts in July and will send them end of this month the frx will be 30 mts in Aug. Will send one and keep the other u36mts as he will hardly make O. Will see how they kill out sure. Ive a bunch of plain hex/aax/frx cattle finishing now with nicer types for later in summer.

There was 2 frx and 2 aax in that bunch. 2 aax will be 30 mts in July and will send them end of this month the frx will be 30 mts in Aug. Will send one and keep the other u36mts as he will hardly make O. Will see how they kill out sure. Ive a bunch of plain hex/aax/frx cattle finishing now with nicer types for later in summer.

That's the better frx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Sold in gorthalea today. 2.30 per kg. Weanling bulls. Said heifers same. Wasn't best pleased . told on phone be given a guaranteed price and then buyers be let in later to bid and farmer gets better price. Maurice then said in the ring that no bidding... Felt done but have to take it .. Eont be brining my girls there. Don't understand why the cameras on turned on there. They are all set up for online trading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Sold in gorthalea today. 2.30 per kg. Weanling bulls. Said heifers same. Wasn't best pleased . told on phone be given a guaranteed price and then buyers be let in later to bid and farmer gets better price. Maurice then said in the ring that no bidding... Felt done but have to take it .. Eont be brining my girls there. Don't understand why the cameras on turned on there. They are all set up for online trading

Neighbour had very middling aa & si heifers there in Gortatlea today 330 kg ish all €2 /kg. Though it was a good price for them.

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Neighbour had very middling aa & si heifers there in Gortatlea today 330 kg ish all €2 /kg. Though it was a good price for them.

Was it ssme deal? Weight and get your price. These were quality stock to be fair

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Was it ssme deal? Weight and get your price. These were quality stock to be fair

He said hed giv him 2 euro over the phone, bring them down and theyre weighed in the mart. These were bucket reared cattle.

Took delivery of 12 FR yearlings today. Avg 340kg and paid 1.70/kg including delivery. Straight from another farm and no mart involved. This is their first move so one movement on their cards now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Took delivery of 12 FR yearlings today. Avg 340kg and paid 1.70/kg including delivery. Straight from another farm and no mart involved. This is their first move so one movement on their cards now

best of luck with them ...they won't be hungry in the near future anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's about the run of those types.

• Advertisement

Gortatlea going online this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well wear.

Are you planning on boxing one of them:P

They look a decent enough bunch. Probably a bit too well done. They look to be mostly O grade cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Nothing wrong with a good FR. I bet you will have more out of them at the end of the day with small investment. I bought a bunch about a month ago like that and they are thriving well. So easy to handle them. Follow you around the place.

In fairness they seem to have more of a British Friesien look than Holstein anoyt then and were apparently out-wintered too.

Don’t know about boxing these - we’d need a fairly big box compared to the lambs!

Re the grass/mower - it got ahead of us the last few weeks so the cattle *are* the mower. They’ll hopefully be better for the ground than cutting silage off it. Might be easier to sell them compared to bales of silage too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In fairness they seem to have more of a British Friesien look than Holstein anoyt then and were apparently out-wintered too.

Don’t know about boxing these - we’d need a fairly big box compared to the lambs!

Re the grass/mower - it got ahead of us the last few weeks so the cattle *are* the mower. They’ll hopefully be better for the ground than cutting silage off it. Might be easier to sell them compared to bales of silage too!

It's looking fresh and leafy and there are many parts of this country where grass growth is way behind normal.
    They'll be good to you.

When they get it 2/3 eaten down split it into 4-5 sections. Put the water trough in the middle of the field where the sections meet. then let them eat a section down. but they will get to a stage where they will get very slow to eat it down then cut it with the mower and they will hover it up in 2-3 days, move on to the next section and repeat. By the time you get through the last section, you should have nice fresh grass in first section.

The real trick would be to pre mow that height of grass and fence front and back but its a pain to do.

Slava Ukrainii

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Gortatlea going online this week.

Maurice said this wasnt happening on Thursdays 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

Is the plan to finish them or summer graze?

Farm365 wrote: »
    Is the plan to finish them or summer graze?

Summer graze at the moment as I don’t think out-wintering or feeding in a yard would work well. We don’t have any slatted shed (yet!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement